Are children getting adult apps. if there are no apps. on kids menu?

Cruz Family

DIS Veteran
I have noticed a lot of children menus do not have apps. on them, does this mean children are allowed to order one off the adult menu? TIA, Melissa

Most do actually have a fruit and cheese plate for kids. When we went in Dec, my boys loved the grapes and cheese.

Most have added a child appetizer, sometimes just a salad. Some restaurants might let a child get an adult appetizer if there isn't any child appetizer but the rules don't require it. Some of the WS restaurants such as Alfredo's don't have a child appetizer and won't let a child order one off the adult menu.

People who've sent Disney an email were told children must order off the children's menu. The part of the brochure that talks about appetizers refers to what an adult can order off the a la carte menu.

That said most posters have found that most of the Disney owned restaurant either have a child appetizer or will let a child order an appetizer from the adult menu (but not necessarily any appetizer)

I went with the info Lewis posted about. No problems, no worries, its all good ! DD knew we enjoyed the cheese soup last year (or more!) at LeCellier, this time neither dh nor I ordered it and she wanted the soup to dip her bread in... when we first sat down I mentioned that we were going to order some things OOP (out of pocket) wine, etc... to get a tab for that!! So when dd asked for soup, I said, sure we'll pay oop for it...

Then when the tab came the CM said that she just included it with DD dining plan -

so I didnt ask, didnt worry, just ordered what we wanted, it was all good for us!! :sunny:

We used the DDP for just two days in Feb. We went to two sitdowns, Le Cellier and Kona. Neither had kids appetizers, at least at the time. At Le Cellier we were encouraged (without asking about it) to order an adult appetizer for dd (we got the heirloom tomatoes.)

The next night at Kona, emboldened by our experience at Le Cellier, we asked our server if dd could order an adult appetizer and she responded politely in the negative and I felt like a bit of a freeloader for asking! :rotfl2:

So the answer is, not necessarily but you can always ask.

Jen D said:
The next night at Kona, emboldened by our experience at Le Cellier, we asked our server if dd could order an adult appetizer and she responded politely in the negative and I felt like a bit of a freeloader for asking! :rotfl2:

So the answer is, not necessarily but you can always ask.

I've read several reports that kids at Kona did get adult appetizers. Just depends on the CM....

I don't understand if the DP says that kids get a app. with their TS but there is no kids app then what are you supposed to do? I can see not giving a child an adult app when there are kids app, but when none are offered they should be allowed to pick something. The plan says kids get a app, entree and dessert with their TS.

gabbysmom04 said:
I don't understand if the DP says that kids get a app. with their TS but there is no kids app then what are you supposed to do? I can see not giving a child an adult app when there are kids app, but when none are offered they should be allowed to pick something. The plan says kids get a app, entree and dessert with their TS.

It doesn't "exactly" say that. It says each person gets an app, entree, and dessert and that children "must" order from the childrens menu. If some places do not have children's app on the menu than they MAY let you order an adult app, but I don't think they have to. It may be up to the restuarant or the CM for that matter.

I have to point out that even in Dec most of the places we dined at had children's appetizers on the menu. Mostly fruit& cheese plates, salads with ranch dressing, or chicken noodle soup.

If my kids really wanted an app from the adult menu, I would order it for them and then just be prepared to pay oop for it when we pay for our drinks. Your saving so much money on the dining plan anyway, paying $8 for an appetizer would not bother me at all. :)

NMW said:
It doesn't "exactly" say that. It says each person gets an app, entree, and dessert and that children "must" order from the childrens menu. If some places do not have children's app on the menu than they MAY let you order an adult app, but I don't think they have to. It may be up to the restuarant or the CM for that matter.

I was just reading the paper on the DP it says that children must order off the kids menu if available. I am not sure what disney means by that but if you are buying the DP and it says that with your TS you get a app then I would think it would be safe to assume that you are entitled to some sort of app.

gabbysmom04 said:
NMW said:
I was just reading the paper on the DP it says that children must order off the kids menu if available. I am not sure what disney means by that but if you are buying the DP and it says that with your TS you get a app then I would think it would be safe to assume that you are entitled to some sort of app.

It means if the restaurant has a kids menu then that's the menu the kids must order off of. Exactly what it says. In emails Disney has said the section of the brochure that talks about appetizers, entrées and dessert refers to what adults can order but kids are limited to the kids menu. Makes sense, a kid is paying around $5 for a TS meal and adult appetizers may be double that.

The point is moot, most restaurants have added kids appetizers and many of the remaining restaurants will offer an adult appetizer as a courtesy. There are a few restaurants that don't offer a kids appetizer and won't allow the kids to order an adult appetizer.

Lewisc said:
It means if the restaurant has a kids menu then that's the menu the kids must order off of. Exactly what it says. In emails Disney has said the section of the brochure that talks about appetizers, entrées and dessert refers to what adults can order but kids are limited to the kids menu.

I am not so sure of that. Looking at the info in the disney web site it states

Juice (breakfast)
Appetizer (lunch & dinner)
Entree
Dessert (lunch & dinner)
Non-alcoholic beverage

-or-

One (1) full buffet

Guests age 3-9 must order from the childrens menu where available.

This is specificly table service credits. Doesn't all the TS restaurants on the plan have childrens menus?
Why would it state "childrens menu when available"????

The reason I asked the question is because my DS 8 loves soup or salad with his meal. Can I afford $5 or $6 extra to buy it for him with his meals? of course but why would I pay for it when it seems to be included.

Hey I think the dining plan is a good deal but I am not going to feel like I am being greedy. After all my 12yr old DS eats like a bird and I am not complaining about the loss I am taking on that deal.

My DD, 8, was able to order an adult appetizer at Le Cellier at Epcot...no restrictions...YMMV...

Lewisc, My point is only that the plan states what you are given with your table service meal. It does not say that is for adults only. And as other people have also said it does say that kids must order off the kids menu where available. For me the app with every meal for my DD is not a big deal I would not be ordering her a $10 app anyway. I see where it might be a problem for people with older children though. Maybe I am reading the brochure wrong but it seems clear to me.

It says kids must order from kids menu where available, my take on this is if there is no kids appie on the menu then they should be able to order adult appie because for that course there is no kids menu available. Of course, logic and corporate America are often not connected.

that's your take on it, tinker*shell*bell, but a cm may disagree with you... and cm's word will reign supreme! LOL!

just like my take on the dining plan is i can order all 10 of my/dd-11yo's adult CS meals at once if i were so inclined because they are mine to do with as i please, but i had a cm tell me that i could not order 3 CS meals at the same time because my card only stated 2A!

gigi1313 said:
that's your take on it, tinker*shell*bell, but a cm may disagree with you... and cm's word will reign supreme! LOL!

just like my take on the dining plan is i can order all 10 of my/dd-11yo's adult CS meals at once if i were so inclined because they are mine to do with as i please, but i had a cm tell me that i could not order 3 CS meals at the same time because my card only stated 2A!

I completely understand that they may disagree with me, I just think their brochure should be more clear on this because many people took it the same way I did.
I'm not too worried about it, I only have one "child" on the plan anyway.
My real peeve is the 11 + 12 yo's being charged as adults.

even w/my 11yo being charged as an adult, i think we got more than our money's worth from the dining plan :)

just ask first before ordering and problem solved.

Lewisc said:
gabbysmom04 said:
The point is moot, most restaurants have added kids appetizers and many of the remaining restaurants will offer an adult appetizer as a courtesy. There are a few restaurants that don't offer a kids appetizer and won't allow the kids to order an adult appetizer.

We found in late January that our kids got no appetizers at any of our TS. This included Le Cellier, Whispering Canyon, Kona, Boatwrights, Capn Jacks,Mama Melrose. We did continue to ask but it was always a no. They did offer an extra salad plate at WC for kids to share adults salad (that was served family style). We didn't see kids appetizers at any restaurant either.

YVonne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter