Are there any lawyers willing to speculate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So angry that my taxes are paying for lawyers litigating this nonsense. If I’m dipping too much into politics with this question I apologize - hasn’t Disney supported republicans in the past? Have they officially cut off those donations over this feud with the governor?
When chapek made his reversed course last year on the don’t say gay bill, he mentioned they were freezing future political contributions for scrutiny. Whether they actually did that or not, I couldn’t tell you

True. Could have been a missed step. But I agree, the Federalist isn't a reliable news source. They have a point of view they promote above all else.

Very little of that piece said anything about what the supposed deficiency was. Just a claim that the mail notice wasn't made. Not sure how anyone could prove that.

According to Florida statute, local governments — in this case, the Reedy Creek board — are required to take three steps when making changes to special district agreements such as the one that established Disney’s quasi-governmental status. They must hold two public hearings, advertise those hearings in a local newspaper, and offer notice by mail to “all affected property owners before the first public hearing.”​
In a statement to the Associated Press, Disney said the agreements took place in public.​
“All agreements signed between Disney and the District were appropriate, and were discussed and approved in open, noticed public forums in compliance with Florida’s Government in the Sunshine law,” the company said.​
Disney’s first hearing on the issue was held Jan. 25, and the second on Feb. 8. The company advertised proceedings in the Orlando Sentinel. The last requirement of Florida law, however, that all affected property owners be given notice by mail, was skipped entirely, according to sources familiar with Disney’s proceedings. The missed mandate means the company would have to restart the process for its 11th-hour resolution to be valid.​

I am not a lawyer, but I've been following enough of this to understand what standing is. The Governor doesn't have standing. The new board doesn't have standing (and didn't even exist). As far as I can tell, only an affected property owner would have standing.

So angry that my taxes are paying for lawyers litigating this nonsense. If I’m dipping too much into politics with this question I apologize - hasn’t Disney supported republicans in the past? Have they officially cut off those donations over this feud with the governor?
What taxes are you paying that would be spent on this? I don't pay state income tax here. My sales tax and property taxes and vehicle registrations go to my county. My local millages go to SFWMD and the school district.

Also - Disney has spent millions to support both parties on a fairly equal basis for a long time. FLorida has had republican governors since 1998.

What taxes are you paying that would be spent on this? I don't pay state income tax here. My sales tax and property taxes and vehicle registrations go to my county. My local millages go to SFWMD and the school district.

Also - Disney has spent millions to support both parties on a fairly equal basis for a long time. FLorida has had republican governors since 1998.
Your sales tax do indeed help pay for the legal costs... FL Sales Tax is divided up among State and County/local entities.

Very little of that piece said anything about what the supposed deficiency was. Just a claim that the mail notice wasn't made. Not sure how anyone could prove that.

According to Florida statute, local governments — in this case, the Reedy Creek board — are required to take three steps when making changes to special district agreements such as the one that established Disney’s quasi-governmental status. They must hold two public hearings, advertise those hearings in a local newspaper, and offer notice by mail to “all affected property owners before the first public hearing.”​
In a statement to the Associated Press, Disney said the agreements took place in public.​
“All agreements signed between Disney and the District were appropriate, and were discussed and approved in open, noticed public forums in compliance with Florida’s Government in the Sunshine law,” the company said.​
Disney’s first hearing on the issue was held Jan. 25, and the second on Feb. 8. The company advertised proceedings in the Orlando Sentinel. The last requirement of Florida law, however, that all affected property owners be given notice by mail, was skipped entirely, according to sources familiar with Disney’s proceedings. The missed mandate means the company would have to restart the process for its 11th-hour resolution to be valid.​

I am not a lawyer, but I've been following enough of this to understand what standing is. The Governor doesn't have standing. The new board doesn't have standing (and didn't even exist). As far as I can tell, only an affected property owner would have standing.

If there were anything deficient with the agreement, like no mail notice, then DeSantis wouldn't be threatening to introduce a bill in the legislature to overturn the developer agreement. They would use the deficiencies.

Or at least, most rational people would do that.

If there were anything deficient with the agreement, like no mail notice, then DeSantis wouldn't be threatening to introduce a bill in the legislature to overturn the developer agreement. They would use the deficiencies.

Or at least, most rational people would do that.

Yeah - I'm skeptical that they have anything that would void it on a mailer. Do they really want to got there. If that's absolutely required I'd think there would be lots of special districts all over Florida where people might randomly ask that agreements be voided. That would be a whole can of worms that nobody would want there to be a precedent set.

Could a bill in the legislature overturn the developer agreement? And how can the government build on RCID land if the land is still owned by Disney?

Could a bill in the legislature overturn the developer agreement? And how can the government build on RCID land if the land is still owned by Disney?
They can’t explicitly null the contract via legislation. As I’ve come to learn over the past week, that is pretty explicitly enshrined in our constitution that government can’t nullify contracts. The last part, they’d have to build on the districts land and not land owned by Disney

Part of the land was ceded to RCID, although they could be in the form of outright transfers or of easements. The district obviously owns infrastructure like utilities. They don't have much land, but even then the restrictive agreement apparently specified that the new district couldn't use district owned land for things like retail businesses, such as retail gas stations.

Did this dude really just suggest building a priosn adjacent to WDW? That is clearly a retaliatory move. This is really starting to become farcical.
This is what fighting dirty looks like. Not a fan of it, personally.

Just spent some time recently watching a state supreme court case in Wisconsin whereby a circuit court judge smeared a former supreme court justice with some real whoppers. It was gross. I did not vote nor ever intended to vote for the former supreme court justice who got smeared, but even I was left disgusted because as an attorney at law, I want our judges to treat every person that walks through the doors of a courtroom fairly and decently. Apparently, that practice will not be extend to electoral opponents. Yuck!

Also, apparently, to borrow a phrase from a D+ show, this is the way. Sad.

This is what fighting dirty looks like. Not a fan of it, personally.

Just spent some time recently watching a state supreme court case in Wisconsin whereby a circuit court judge smeared a former supreme court justice with some real whoppers. It was gross. I did not vote nor ever intended to vote for the former supreme court justice who got smeared, but even I was left disgusted because as an attorney at law, I want our judges to treat every person that walks through the doors of a courtroom fairly and decently. Apparently, that practice will not be extend to electoral opponents. Yuck!

Apparently, to borrow a phrase from a D+ show, this is the way. Sad.
I hate to tell you but this has never been the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter