• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Are Wait Times For Rides Really That Bad?

I've been going for a long time now, and yes, the parks have been getting more crowded. Yes, we prefer the prior version of Fastpass. Yes, some of the Tier-1 headliner lines are ridiculously long (though not in any way out of proportion with the line lengths we've seen for headliner rides at other parks). But our general rules of Disney have not really changed over the years. We do not wait more than 30 minutes for something that is not a headliner (we used to have a 20 minute max). We do not rope drop (though I guess we'll have to change that to get a Boarding Pass). We do not necessarily travel at the lightest crowd times of the year. We amble, we do not follow any plan of attack, and we do not stress if lines are long in one location. If lines are that long for non-headliners it's probably a sign to take a break from that park for a few hours, or perhaps even the rest of the day.

We are always able to ride all the rides we want. Usually, multiple times.

So, do what everyone in this thread is suggesting. Ride more rides at rope drop and late before close. Schedule your FPs accordingly in late morning. Keep an eye out for 4th and greater FPs. Break for lunch/pool time and return. Pick the right parks for the right days of the weeks to avoid the highest crowds. Consider special after hours events (if its within your budget). Consider park hoppers, so as to take advantage of the changes in crowd levels between parks.

And for the love of all that's holy - don't stress about it.

I guess I’m an outlier in that I prefer this fast pass system to the old where you had to be there first thing to run to certain rides and then did not have a choice in when you could ride them, it was just what was being given at that time or you waited until the time you wanted appeared. Yes you could hold more than three fp. You could come back after you designated time but if you weren’t there first thing you would miss out on Fp for some rides

You're not alone. I much prefer FP+. As a DVC member, I am always coming back to Disney. I do not need to see every ride. I am happy to pick my top 3 that I really don't want to miss and FP+ those, knowing I will get those experiences. Many days now I don't venture out at rope drop. I am not the young buck I used to be. I am happy to have a leisurely breakfast at my resort, wonder into the park late morning, do my 3 FP+'s, have a good lunch, a couple of other rides that never have waits (I love me a good CoP in Magic Kingdom or Living with the Land), do some shopping and people watching, and probably don't even stay for fireworks except one night a trip.

The old way was horrible. You would take the fastest runner in the family, take everyone's tickets and sprint to the machines to get those Fast Passes.

But hey... before that was even worse. We used to literally jump over the rope as they lowered it to get to the ride. I'm surprised we survived.

Use FPs on the very most popular rides, obviously.

Use refresh to your advantage.

If people are up for staying until close times, get on the most popular rides right at close times. They will publish VERY long wait times that aren't real right at close time to dissuade people from riding. However, as long as you are in line before the park closes, you will be able to ride. Example: we got in line for Mine Train at 10:50pm on a day when MK was open until 11pm. Published wait time was 120 minutes. We waited were on the ride in 30 minutes.
We were able to do everything we wanted on our last trip but the planning that takes is quite ridiculous. With refreshing the app we were able to skip many many lines that were long, it was a great time for my wife and kids. For me it kind of sucked though, I am starting to detest spending my vacation with my face in the MDE app to maximize our time. We have went every year for the last 8 years but we are going to bank this years DVC points and skip at least a year.

I am very much a people watcher and this last trip I saw more frustrated people than I have seen on any other trip. My kids are old enough they handled it well but at Hollywood studios the number of meltdowns and kids that looked like zombies was to the point of just about being comical. Rise of the Resistance is great but there has to be a better way than a forced lottery system at park opening.

Hi, what is the "refresh" strategy?

As soon as you are done with your first 3 FP+, go on the MDE app and try to snag a 4th. Keep repeating throughout the day to try to get a 4th, 5th, 6th, etc. It's, of course, best to try to snag initial FP+ for the rides that draw the biggest crowds throughout the day - FOP, 7DMT, SDD or MFSR, FEA, etc. If you can't get FP+ for those, try to get to those rides at RD or at park close.

This is exactly how you do it. Burn your first 3 fastpasses early and then grab whatever one comes up next. Don’t worry about holding out for the “best” rides in your additional FPs - you will have way more fun going in to whatever you get on than waiting in 3 hour lines before your 5 pm fastpass.

We visited the week of January 25. Very crowded. Epcot was especially challenging to navigate due to extensive renovations and the Arts Festival.

The OP seems to be absent, so I'll keep this short.

1. Get hoppers. That way if you get to a park that's too crowded for your taste, or it becomes that way, you can hop. Worth the money.

2. Don't do the planning for all 20 people. That's insane. Split it up, show people what to do, and have them make their own plans. You can meet up at certain points during the day. No way are 20 people all going to want to do the same thing at the same time.

3. Expect the parks to be busy. They have been all year so far. Make sure to get FP+ for your must-do rides Read up on how to book FP+ so you'll be prepared at the 60-day mark.

4. Have fun.

Not sure how long ago you went but Mardi Gras has been the 2nd crowded weeks I’ve gone. Only thing worse was nye. Never been presidents week of easter have gone all other notoriously crowded times. I’ll be there next week too, but I do expect it to be packed.
We have been in March for the past 4 years, and was told it was Mardi Gras. I guess we never noticed it, because our go to time to visit WDW was always the first of December and the first 2 weeks of November. There was Pop Warner on one of those I think, and Jersey Week. We never noticed Jersey week either, but heard a lot of "accents". LOL. It is all subjective on what we each call crowded.

We have been in March for the past 4 years, and was told it was Mardi Gras. I guess we never noticed it, because our go to time to visit WDW was always the first of December and the first 2 weeks of November. There was Pop Warner on one of those I think, and Jersey Week. We never noticed Jersey week either, but heard a lot of "accents". LOL. It is all subjective on what we each call crowded.

Mardi Gras is usually in February. Last year it was March 5th, though. If it's ever in March it's at the very beginning.

I just made same day FPs for a friend today in Studios as his day has been going- I got He and his wife, TSM, RNRC, Star Tours, Slinky, Smuggler ( Twice), ToT ( Twice, On the second one now) so same day is always available when the 60 day fails you.

They can be. We try to use fast passes for everything since we have lots of littles with us who don't like to wait for more than 20-30 minutes.

Another rough looking day today for wait times. Most all headliners are 2-3 hour waits right now across all 4 parks. So hoppers would not help on a day like today.

I’m here right now and am on the last day of a 10 day trip. This is by far the busiest I’ve seen WDW. Lines are crazy, 45 minutes for the people mover. Just spent 20 in the FP+ line for pirates. Big thunder FP+ line is back past Tom Sawyer entrance.

we’ve been back at the resort by 4pm every day.

it’s been fun but we’re skipping next year for Disneyland instead.

We visited the week of January 25. Very crowded. Epcot was especially challenging to navigate due to extensive renovations and the Arts Festival.
Were you at Epcot on January 25? We were there Jan. 23 and we felt like it was low crowds and borderline empty in the middle of the day when it rained. Space ship earth was only like 10 minutes, we walked right on to Figment, didn't experience any long lines for the food in Showcase, Soarin was only 20 minutes, etc. Test Track was closed for refurbishment.

Were you at Epcot on January 25? We were there Jan. 23 and we felt like it was low crowds and borderline empty in the middle of the day when it rained. Space ship earth was only like 10 minutes, we walked right on to Figment, didn't experience any long lines for the food in Showcase, Soarin was only 20 minutes, etc. Test Track was closed for refurbishment.

No, we got to Epcot later that week - Wednesday, I think. 1/25 was actually our arrival day and we weren’t at a park that day.

Spaceship Earth was about 30-40 minutes and Soaring was over an hour (we didn’t arrive until late morning). I was actually more surprised at the crowds than the lines. We didn’t do Figment, but did stop in The Land to eat and we saw the new film “Awesome Planet” (happened to walk in as the film was starting). World Showcase was easier for attractions, but really mobbed with people. I know that festivals draw in lots of folks, but I guess I thought a weekday would be quieter.

Last edited:
I just made same day FPs for a friend today in Studios as his day has been going- I got He and his wife, TSM, RNRC, Star Tours, Slinky, Smuggler ( Twice), ToT ( Twice, On the second one now) so same day is always available when the 60 day fails you.
Yep, I had little to no trouble getting Slinky yesterday (saw Smugglers quite a few times, but wasn't going for that) and then FOP twice today. Hoping we get similar luck in MK tomorrow!

Yes, last September. What a glorious week that was!!
And November! I walked on to BTMR two times in a row at 2PM, it was pretty glorious.
ETA: Jk, it was Oct 30th, first day of that trip for me. The rest of that week/weekend was pretty awesome, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter