Are you sending your kids to school next month?

Wow, that was quick!!! Didn't they just start Wednesday? I know my granddaughter's preschool at a public school started Thursday in Indiana.

How fast are the results now on being tested for Covid in that state?
The way I'm reading it from other articles is honestly it sounds like they may have been awaiting a test result? And the District is sorta making that statement in a round about way.

From another article: "A Greenfield Central Junior High School student has tested positive for the coronavirus after the first day of class, according to an email sent to families Thursday evening. The student attended part of the first day of classes, which began Thursday for Greenfield-Central Community Schools. The district told families that its "Positive COVID-19 Test Protocol" was enacted as soon the school was alerted by the Hancock County Health Department about the positive test. The student was immediately isolated and all close contacts were determined. It's unclear when the student was tested, but getting results typically takes days, indicating the student was tested prior to the first day of school."

"The Indiana Department of Education's guidance to school districts says if students or staff have "someone in their home being tested for COVID-19," the district can exclude that person from school and recommend they quarantine for 14 days. Aspy (Hancock County Health Department Officer) said anyone awaiting results should remain in isolation until results are received. But the Greenfield district's plan for reopening schools does not offer specific guidance on what students or staff should do if they have a pending test."

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...positive-covid-19-first-day-class/5552735002/
So really this was a case where medical advice-wise that student should NOT have been in class that day NOT that we have issues with spread in school....at least in that case.

The way I'm reading it from other articles is honestly it sounds like they may have been awaiting a test result? And the District is sorta making that statement in a round about way.

From another article: "A Greenfield Central Junior High School student has tested positive for the coronavirus after the first day of class, according to an email sent to families Thursday evening. The student attended part of the first day of classes, which began Thursday for Greenfield-Central Community Schools. The district told families that its "Positive COVID-19 Test Protocol" was enacted as soon the school was alerted by the Hancock County Health Department about the positive test. The student was immediately isolated and all close contacts were determined. It's unclear when the student was tested, but getting results typically takes days, indicating the student was tested prior to the first day of school."

"The Indiana Department of Education's guidance to school districts says if students or staff have "someone in their home being tested for COVID-19," the district can exclude that person from school and recommend they quarantine for 14 days. Aspy (Hancock County Health Department Officer) said anyone awaiting results should remain in isolation until results are received. But the Greenfield district's plan for reopening schools does not offer specific guidance on what students or staff should do if they have a pending test."

https://www.indystar.com/story/news...positive-covid-19-first-day-class/5552735002/
So really this was a case where medical advice-wise that student should NOT have been in class that day NOT that we have issues with spread in school....at least in that case.

Thank you for replying to my post.

MHO.......I would think all schools all over would have it already down in writing to families that if someone is awaiting tests results they shouldn't be in school. :(

Thank you for replying to my post.

MHO.......I would think all schools all over would have it already down in writing to families that if someone is awaiting tests results they shouldn't be in school. :(
No problem :) I was very curious myself.

To the underlined--Right!? I would think the same thing...off to check my area's districts to see if they have that wording. It seems like common sense to me even without it being in writing but you know how that goes..

Just saw this on Pinterest. It about sums up the new school year:

View attachment 514227

For any who knows the original song, it's just the saddest thing. :(

For kids who never heard the original, it will just seem normal. (And I can't decide whether that speaks highly about the resilience of kids, or is even sadder. :confused3)
I love that. I will use it in my class when the time comes. Hopefully we will be able to learn the original some time this school year! Thank you for sharing.

But this is how the spread starts. Johnny Invincible's parents think the whole thing is a hoax so they send him to school even though he has reason to believe he could have COVID. Johnny goes to school for 2 days, sharing the classroom air with his pod. During those 2 days, his teacher, his classmates, etc are exposed. I hope Johnny wore his mask.

This will play over and over as s hools reopen and the re close around the country

Just got an email from the principal of our little private school. Three teachers have resigned. I guess they are doing what they need to do to protect their health with face to face instruction looming in 3 weeks. I wonder if any more will quit?

But this is how the spread starts. Johnny Invincible's parents think the whole thing is a hoax so they send him to school even though he has reason to believe he could have COVID. Johnny goes to school for 2 days, sharing the classroom air with his pod. During those 2 days, his teacher, his classmates, etc are exposed. I hope Johnny wore his mask.

This will play over and over as s hools reopen and the re close around the country
Right don't disagree. However, there's a difference in saying in this case that the student got it from someone at the school which was seemingly asked about in regards to how quickly testing was as it was the first day. It means that while there were protocols that were successfully deployed (which is something a lot of people are holding their breaths on) that a gap was left open. That gap meaning no student, faculty, visitor, no one should be on school property while awaiting test results which wasn't clear in this district's reopening plan. So yeah saying "but this is how spread starts" may be accurate it's not in fact what appears to have occurred in this case as in the student who tested positive caught it from some one in the school which was what I was saying.

Right don't disagree. However, there's a difference in saying in this case that the student got it from someone at the school which was seemingly asked about in regards to how quickly testing was as it was the first day. It means that while there were protocols that were successfully deployed (which is something a lot of people are holding their breaths on) that a gap was left open. That gap meaning no student, faculty, visitor, no one should be on school property while awaiting test results which wasn't clear in this district's reopening plan. So yeah saying "but this is how spread starts" may be accurate it's not in fact what appears to have occurred in this case as in the student who tested positive caught it from some one in the school which was what I was saying.

I think the article just stated that the child tested positive on the first day of school, not that he became infected at school. I could have missed that part, however. When you think about it, he could not have become infected and tested the same day with a positive result. I do think this is exactly how it begins though. It just takes one person unknowingly bringing it to school. Unfortunately, I think we will be hearing more of these stories as time goes on.

I think the article just stated that the child tested positive on the first day of school, not that he became infected at school. I could have missed that part, however. When you think about it, he could not have become infected and tested the same day with a positive result. I do think this is exactly how it begins though. It just takes one person unknowingly bringing it to school. Unfortunately, I think we will be hearing more of these stories as time goes on.
Again was responding to the question of how quick the test results were for that state clarifying what had happened for this student.

‐‐------------
Peeps I'm not making statements that it's not how it begins or whatnot. I understand spread so please stop replying to me saying this is how it begins (no offense and not trying to be harsh or on a personal aspect more of a general statement) as if I'm saying something the contrary. I was just stating what happened to this student as in he was positive before he went into the school building and clearly this district and probably others failed to account for the waiting for test results. That's it :flower3:

Last edited:
Being a sub teacher, I mostly work in Special Ed classes. I hear you. I have not heard how my district is going to handle this. The schools are responsible for all the students.
Of course I can help her, but she's 13 and doesn't want her mom helping her. I know she's going to fall behind in math (and she's already on the slower-paced track). I've told her that this is her last year to learn how to be a student because next year (9th grade) starts to count toward her GPA.

Of course I can help her, but she's 13 and doesn't want her mom helping her. I know she's going to fall behind in math (and she's already on the slower-paced track).
I trust the school district to get a lesson plan in place. As you know, parents have to be proactive if the plan doesn't work for their child. I would contact the district and ask for a tutor. See what they say. There is not a charge for it, at least through my District, as she is on an IEP, and it won't be "Mom" helping her. I also tutor for my district.

Our school system has decided to open up on the hybrid model where students will be divided into two groups. However, for K-2, there is no hybrid model so all of them will go to school everyday. We don't like the virtual option because the virtual option will be a system wide option and not based on the actual school. So, even when they transition to normal schedules, you won't actually have the same teacher.

At this point, we are going to wait a little longer. If they end up starting all virtual then the virtual class will be done by the actual teacher as if you are going to in-person. Our kid is currently enrolled for in-person and if they go "red" then we'll keep her with her virtual classroom. If they still go with the hybrid option (& she is K-2 so she would go everyday) then I am going to withdraw her from the school system entirely the day before it starts (again, to see if they change their mind).

If we withdraw her then we will officially home school until an option that we like becomes available.

Our other kid is still Pre-K and they are going to be normal, no mask requirement. We have already withdrew.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter