• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Arriving very early in the morning/late night

kailuagirl

DIS Veteran
Not sure how to handle this. We had to change our flight which originally was landing in LAX at 4:30 p.m., to now flying into San Diego at about 11:30 p.m. By the time we get our rental car and head up to DL. We aren't going to get there until 3 a.m. or so. This is a Saturday night/early Sunday. We are checking into the Grand at earliest check in 6 a.m. although our room will not be ready until later. Could we even check in somewhere that late at night and book a room for a couple of hours? We are flying from Hawaii so we are behind 3 hours and we are planning to try to get some sleep on the plane. Sleep is not the issue. We've done red eye flights arriving at 5 a.m. and have gone straight to the parks.

As far as I know, almost any hotel/motel has someone at the front desk 24-hours. As long as you indicated that you'd be a late check-in (approximate time), I don't see why they wouldn't be able to help you. I would look now to see what has availability for that Saturday night and then call and see what their policy is for late check-ins.

Not sure how to handle this. We had to change our flight which originally was landing in LAX at 4:30 p.m., to now flying into San Diego at about 11:30 p.m. By the time we get our rental car and head up to DL. We aren't going to get there until 3 a.m. or so. This is a Saturday night/early Sunday. We are checking into the Grand at earliest check in 6 a.m. although our room will not be ready until later. Could we even check in somewhere that late at night and book a room for a couple of hours? We are flying from Hawaii so we are behind 3 hours and we are planning to try to get some sleep on the plane. Sleep is not the issue. We've done red eye flights arriving at 5 a.m. and have gone straight to the parks.
You're looking for a room from 3am to 6am?
I'm sure you could check in somewhere that late.
However, they will most likely charge for a full day and not just for a couple of hours.

Maybe you could add on a night at GCH so you could just go straight to the hotel?

Maybe you could add on a night at GCH so you could just go straight to the hotel?

This may be an option. You can check in somewhere else too, if you just want a bed without the GCH prices. As it has been said most hotels/motels will have someone at the desk. Just make sure you note it on the reservation that you expect to be checking in at around 3 am.

I don't know what San Diego airport has available since I don't fly into there but maybe lounge passes or sleep room at the airport? We have a 4am flight out of Manila in a couple of weeks so it has worked out to be less expensive for us to book a few hours in one of the airport lounges than getting hotel rooms for a second night.

We routinely spend the first night in Anaheim at the Motel 6 Maingate for the same reason, then head over to the Grand about 6 am the next morning. We usually get to Anaheim around 3-4 pm. We don't do the park on our arrival day. We drive 7 hours straight and are pretty tired and ready for a burger, TV, and bed. Not gonna pay $500+ just for a night's sleep.

Motel 6 runs from $80-$90 per night with free parking. I'm sure they'd have no problem with a 3 am arrival, although they may ask you to pay up front to guarantee the room rather than at check in. It's clean and safe. Beds are comfy, but no fridge, micro, or coffeemaker.

Would you be interested in staying the arrival night near the airport in San Diego and then driving up to Anaheim early the next morning? You could then drop your bags and car at the GCH at ~6:30 am, grab some breakfast in DTD, and head over for rope drop?

That or I think you need to book that first night stay at GCH and have them note that you will be arriving late.

Too bad US airports don't have capsule hotels where you spend a few hours.

If I were you, I would try and detour a bit before checking in. Whats the point of paying a whole night at a hotel for only a few hours?
Try maybe heading to DTLA first and have breakfast at the Pantry or Pacific Dining Car.

I know this is late to answering. Perhaps after picking up the car, how about getting a bite to eat and plan your day to kill an hour or two, then go to the GCH around 5ish and they may be able to check in your luggage if your room is available. WE have driven in from AZ during daylight savings time and we were checked in at 4:30am CA time, 5:30am AZ time. They may store your luggage and you can hang out in the Grand in those comfy chairs until you want to line up at the gates.

Would you be interested in staying the arrival night near the airport in San Diego and then driving up to Anaheim early the next morning? You could then drop your bags and car at the GCH at ~6:30 am, grab some breakfast in DTD, and head over for rope drop?

That or I think you need to book that first night stay at GCH and have them note that you will be arriving late.
This is the #1 and #2 plan I'd do as well. Also, check that your rental car company has a counter operating at San Diego when your plane will land- that's late and it's a much smaller airport than LAX. If your plane lands on time, you get your bags & rental car by 1am, you could be in Anaheim by 2:30am (2am if things go swimmingly at SAN)- that's a lot of hours to kill before park opening.

Personally I'd get a room near the San Diego airport, crash until 4am and depart for Anaheim. Even if you don't sleep you all could shower and stretch out and relax a bit after the flight. That way you don't have to eat GCH prices for an extra night there. It just sounds easier to me than trying to get something in Anaheim and hoping there are no issues checking in that late.

Any reason why you aren't flying into LAX instead of San Diego? That would help with the logistics of this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter