Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

It's so wild that two whole theme parks are closed. Not to mention all the other closures and the whole cruise ship quarantined. It seems like most hospitals are treating it as an airborne disease, which means it's likely far more transmissible than the flu. But, who knows. It's all a lot of speculation at this point.

Rumours on twitter are suggesting incubation can be much longer than 14 days.
Well, those are unverified outlier studies. Many more studies have confirmed it to be around 5 days, with an approximate range of 3-10d. As time goes on it will be more clear, but sometimes early studies/surveys are just not correct because the situation is so fluid. I'm not saying that an incubation period of 14days is wrong, I'm saying it's probably wrong. 😉

Cruise ship will be a great study for them (sucks for passengers). Will be a lot easier to track the spread. They don't have to try and work out if the contact came from other areas.
Here you go:

Basically, this says that the virus spread as quickly through a quarantined cruise ship as it did through Hubei Province.

Does anyone know if Disney has insurance that covers this shut down?

I have no idea if insurance for businesses covers things like this.

If not.... Disney must be losing a ton of money.

Cruise ship will be a great study for them (sucks for passengers). Will be a lot easier to track the spread. They don't have to try and work out if the contact came from other areas.

I heard today the Diamond Princess has not tested all the passengers/crew (only ~450 tested so far). Another 44 cases came down yesterday to bring a total to 218 (~2,600 passengers, total). They are prioritizing elderly inside cabin passengers to be taken off the ship to be quarantined once in port (I am not sure if these passengers tested positive). Japan has now stated they will test all passengers/crew with no exceptions (ramping up throughput to ~1,000/day). The disturbing part is that 3 passengers on board tested as negative, but a subsequent test showed a positive.

Holland America's Westerdam finally found a port that will take them in (Cambodia). I believe they picked up ~800 passengers/crew from Hong Kong on February 1st even though the risk of contagion was unknown.

Does anyone know if Disney has insurance that covers this shut down?

I have no idea if insurance for businesses covers things like this.

If not.... Disney must be losing a ton of money.
Yes I believe others have said there is insurance for this. Remember at the same time Disney is not the majority owner in either of these parks.

I have heard a rumor from elsewhere about how the coronavirus is going to have an impact on Disney far beyond the Chinese parks being closed, which, of course, is going to mean a huge financial loss for the parks division as a whole. Most of what is listed below relates to WDW, but #5 pertains to Disneyland:

1. Nearly every American employee from the Asian parks who wishes to return to America has returned or is preparing to return. They have been or are being cleared by the State Department, and have already completed their quarantine requirements in other Asian countries (mostly South Korea).
2. Asian parks are currently being run by skeleton crews while they are down. These crews are maintaining the parks such that they can be reopened when possible. Attractions are being cycled every couple of days to keep them in working condition.
3. Almost all part-time cast members at the Asian parks have been released from the company.
4. Full-time cast members who are remaining in the area are being paid as if they were continuing to work full-time. There are no public plans at this time to change that situation, nor are plans cemented behind the scenes as of yet.
5. Many projects at Disneyland are now on hold. These are evident in that work crews have either ceased or will soon cease to be observed working on these projects. There currently are a few exceptions, but I won't list those as things can quickly change. Work on the Marvel area is not currently a negotiable for work-stoppage, so that one is safe to continue (for now, at least).
6. No projects at Walt Disney World are yet canceled or stopped. However, several planned refurbishments have been downsized greatly. These include Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover. Whereas these previously included significant changes, they are now standard maintenance refurbishments. The Mary Poppins ride in Epcot may be headed towards the chopping block shot-term, though, if closures continue.
7. Should the Asian parks continue to be closed, Typhoon Lagoon is planned to stay closed in an "extended refurbishment" through May. I hesitate to release this information, as it can alter the company's stance on the water park given that the label "extended refurbishment" is intended to be a public relations move to diminish the perceived effects of Asian parks being closed.
8. Labor cutbacks are planned. I'm working on getting solid information on this, and don't want to give premature information given that it could panic individuals working for Disney. That said, labor costs can be cut outside of Disneyland, where cutbacks have already pushed that park to its limit since summer.

Mind you, they haven't released anything officially yet, and I haven't seen anything about it in the news (I did a Google search, to no avail), but still, this is going to very disheartening, particularly the stuff for Disneyland. I'm guessing that means that the Mickey Mouse ride coming to Toontown is done for now (at least for the time being).

At this point, considering how much the coronavirus has intensified, I'm guessing that the alleged two months that the Chinese parks will remain closed is too optimistic.

I have heard a rumor from elsewhere about how the coronavirus is going to have an impact on Disney far beyond the Chinese parks being closed, which, of course, is going to mean a huge financial loss for the parks division as a whole. Most of what is listed below relates to WDW, but #5 pertains to Disneyland:

1. Nearly every American employee from the Asian parks who wishes to return to America has returned or is preparing to return. They have been or are being cleared by the State Department, and have already completed their quarantine requirements in other Asian countries (mostly South Korea).
2. Asian parks are currently being run by skeleton crews while they are down. These crews are maintaining the parks such that they can be reopened when possible. Attractions are being cycled every couple of days to keep them in working condition.
3. Almost all part-time cast members at the Asian parks have been released from the company.
4. Full-time cast members who are remaining in the area are being paid as if they were continuing to work full-time. There are no public plans at this time to change that situation, nor are plans cemented behind the scenes as of yet.
5. Many projects at Disneyland are now on hold. These are evident in that work crews have either ceased or will soon cease to be observed working on these projects. There currently are a few exceptions, but I won't list those as things can quickly change. Work on the Marvel area is not currently a negotiable for work-stoppage, so that one is safe to continue (for now, at least).
6. No projects at Walt Disney World are yet canceled or stopped. However, several planned refurbishments have been downsized greatly. These include Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover. Whereas these previously included significant changes, they are now standard maintenance refurbishments. The Mary Poppins ride in Epcot may be headed towards the chopping block shot-term, though, if closures continue.
7. Should the Asian parks continue to be closed, Typhoon Lagoon is planned to stay closed in an "extended refurbishment" through May. I hesitate to release this information, as it can alter the company's stance on the water park given that the label "extended refurbishment" is intended to be a public relations move to diminish the perceived effects of Asian parks being closed.
8. Labor cutbacks are planned. I'm working on getting solid information on this, and don't want to give premature information given that it could panic individuals working for Disney. That said, labor costs can be cut outside of Disneyland, where cutbacks have already pushed that park to its limit since summer.

Mind you, they haven't released anything officially yet, and I haven't seen anything about it in the news (I did a Google search, to no avail), but still, this is going to very disheartening, particularly the stuff for Disneyland. I'm guessing that means that the Mickey Mouse ride coming to Toontown is done for now (at least for the time being).

At this point, considering how much the coronavirus has intensified, I'm guessing that the alleged two months that the Chinese parks will remain closed is too optimistic.
This is from WDWmagic poster WDW Pro...

I would imagine some if not all has some validity but you'd also be surprised what people do for a following.

Well, his mentioning of the Asian cast members being laid off or even terminated seems legitimate. Therefore the stuff about Disneyland sounds legit, too.

I kind of question the WDW portion. Simply because I'm skeptical all these attractions were set for "significant" renovations. CoP and PeopleMover haven't had a significant change in decades. While you could say they are both due, you could just as obviously say those rumors, and needs, have been around for decades as well. Hard to point and say... "Ha, this was the time, not all those other times, and it didn't happen." When it just as clearly didn't happen any of the last decades as well.

Buzz is essentially the same ride that opened in 1998. The queue was just updated a bit last fall with the double entry. While the ride's accuracy and system pales compared to that used in TSMM, I just don't see a wholesale refurb here. Paint the vehicles and patch up the targets and lights? Sure. But something major?

TM will be a good test. Solid rumors are that it was scheduled to get the big finale that DL and Paris have in the refurb starting late this spring. If it becomes a general scrape, clean and paint refurb I'll give more credence to this post.

But I have a hard time believing all these attractions were due for something major and are now only getting maintenance. Mainly because I just don't believe they were all scheduled for major work in the first place.

Here you go:
View attachment 473492

Basically, this says that the virus spread as quickly through a quarantined cruise ship as it did through Hubei Province.

This isn't really surprising though. They are not ISOLATING infected passengers, just quarantining them in their rooms, where they may be staying with other members of their traveling group. It is easy to see how one person in a room with 3 other people may have been initially infected, and then the other 3 caught it from that one person. I don't find this alarming at all. Also, the crew aren't being isolated either. They are preparing meals, delivering them, presumably doing other tasks around the ship. It stands to reason there will be a spread even on a quarantined ship.

This isn't really surprising though. They are not ISOLATING infected passengers, just quarantining them in their rooms, where they may be staying with other members of their traveling group. It is easy to see how one person in a room with 3 other people may have been initially infected, and then the other 3 caught it from that one person. I don't find this alarming at all. Also, the crew aren't being isolated either. They are preparing meals, delivering them, presumably doing other tasks around the ship. It stands to reason there will be a spread even on a quarantined ship.
I completely agree with you that it stands to reason there would be spread even on a quarantined ship- that's why they should have been taken off the ship sooner. It was entirely predictable that the quarantine would fail, which it has. But, it has spread far beyond just cabin mates. That's how they know it failed, and why they're changing their approach.

One of the objectives of quarantine is to protect people from other potentially infected individuals while they wait it out, but that clearly hasn't happened. (Somewhat conversely, there've been cases where couples have been split up when only one tested positive). Isolation is for people believed to be infected, and they take those people off the ship.

What you've pointed out about the crew is correct, but that's basically just another flaw with the quarantine design. They obviously didn't expect the virus to behave the way it has. That's why they've had to rethink their approach.

What's interesting to me is how poor the communication has been. I would have expected a press conference every couple of days, at least. Instead, the public, and even the passengers sometimes, are left to infer things and read communiques from the authorities.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you that it stands to reason there would be spread even on a quarantined ship- that's why they should have been taken off the ship sooner. It was entirely predictable that the quarantine would fail, which it has. But, it has spread far beyond just cabin mates. That's how they know it failed, and why they're changing their approach.

One of the objectives of quarantine is to protect people from other potentially infected individuals while they wait it out, but that clearly hasn't happened. (Somewhat conversely, there've been cases where couples have been split up when only one tested positive). Isolation is for people known to be infected, and they take those people off the ship.

What you've pointed out about the crew is correct, but that's basically just another flaw with the quarantine design. They obviously didn't expect the virus to behave the way it has. That's why they've had to rethink their approach.

It is also possible the virus is being transmitted through the plumbing. I wouldn't be surprised. Cruise ships aren't known for their airtight plumbing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter