Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

Last edited:
I heard they have confined all passengers to their staterooms.

Also, I think that at least 2 cruise ships (one being AIDAperla) have been denied entry into multiple ports in the Caribbean.
Yes. There have been 2 in the Caribbean. Though neither has so far reported a positive test for novel corona virus. Just cases of respiratory disease. I can't blame the smaller islands though. They live and die by tourism this time of year. There is no way they can handle the economic effects of an outbreak.

Is this the same one? https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...e-quarantined-passenger-diagnosed/4625907002/

This is insane. They're keeping 3500 people on a ship where 12 people tested positive for coronavirus?
These poor souls should be taken off the ship and quarantined somewhere else- instead, who knows how many are going to be infected.

According to CNN, those 12 people were taken off the ship to hospitals in Japan where they are being treated. People still on the ship are being evaluated daily.

We have 6 family members in Disney right now, and one of them told me today that she has seen a few people wearing masks in the parks. Not a lot, maybe 2 or 3. And they saw two other people around the Orlando eye wearing masks.

I don't think there's a danger to people in the US right now, but I do find it interesting that people are starting to wear masks.

One of the Chinese doctors who first reported the virus in December, and who was arrested for it, has died from the virus. I think the Chinese numbers are absolutely skewed and downplayed.

Is this the same one? https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...e-quarantined-passenger-diagnosed/4625907002/

This is insane. They're keeping 3500 people on a ship where 12 people tested positive for coronavirus? The ship could be crawling with the virus by now. Or are they confining people to their staterooms- for two weeks?

These poor souls should be taken off the ship and quarantined somewhere else- instead, who knows how many are going to be infected.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I could go on any kind of cruise right now. This is appalling.

The people infected have been removed from the ship and are in the hospital.

The people infected have been removed from the ship and are in the hospital.
Yes, but the ship itself remains infected. They can disinfect all they want, but that's of marginal use with people aboard.

Past ship epidemics, typically norovirus, end when the cruise is terminated and all the people removed from the vessel, so victims can be treated and the unaffected passengers taken somewhere safe. And the ship sterilized literally from stem to stern. Even then, there've been cases where it comes back again on a later cruise.

This handling of an epidemic aboard a cruise ship is unprecedented. I expect there to be many more than 20 affected people before this is over, keeping in mind the average age of these folks seems to be older than the general population, there's a reasonable risk that some of these passengers will die due to being stuck on this ship.

Yes, but the ship itself remains infected. They can disinfect all they want, but that's of marginal use with people aboard.

Past ship epidemics, typically norovirus, end when the cruise is terminated and all the people removed from the vessel, so victims can be treated and the unaffected passengers taken somewhere safe. And the ship sterilized literally from stem to stern. Even then, there've been cases where it comes back again on a later cruise.

This handling of an epidemic aboard a cruise ship is unprecedented. I expect there to be many more than 20 affected people before this is over, keeping in mind the average age of these folks seems to be older than the general population, there's a reasonable risk that some of these passengers will die due to being stuck on this ship.
Noro is a particularly difficult bug to kill. It lives in hard surfaces for decently long periods of time- like months. It’s not killed by standard sanitizers like Lysol- it basically require bleach.
This virus does not appear to do that. And it’s spread via droplet- so unless your basically in the same ~5ft radius as an infected person who is coughing or sneezing out virus, you probably won’t get it. So if everyone is now quarantined to their rooms, spread should stop. People who are already incubating would still develop illness.

Noro is a particularly difficult bug to kill. It lives in hard surfaces for decently long periods of time- like months. It’s not killed by standard sanitizers like Lysol- it basically require bleach.
This virus does not appear to do that. And it’s spread via droplet- so unless your basically in the same ~5ft radius as an infected person who is coughing or sneezing out virus, you probably won’t get it. So if everyone is now quarantined to their rooms, spread should stop. People who are already incubating would still develop illness.
It's unknown whether this virus spreads by contact transmission. The current advice from the CDC includes extensive instructions on hand washing, disinfecting surfaces, etc- so I'm assuming that they believe it could indeed spread by contact. Droplets don't just float through the air, they land on things. Things that people touch.

41 more passengers have tested positive today- for a total of 61. That's now the biggest cluster outside of China. That one dude did a lot of coughing, I guess. ;)

Last edited:
Norovirus can live on surfaces for upwards of 2 weeks - even if the surface has been cleaned with a cleaner like Lysol. Only bleach kills that sucker.

Most other virus are much less virulent. The flu is like 24 hours, RSV is like 6 hrs. Colds are up to a week. But cleaners kill most of them (ever read the list of things Lysol can kill on the bottle...)

So yes, it’s very possible that it can live on surfaces. It’s unlikely it’s a Norovirus-on-ship level of a mess.

Norovirus can live on surfaces for upwards of 2 weeks - even if the surface has been cleaned with a cleaner like Lysol. Only bleach kills that sucker.

Most other virus are much less virulent. The flu is like 24 hours, RSV is like 6 hrs. Colds are up to a week. But cleaners kill most of them (ever read the list of things Lysol can kill on the bottle...)

So yes, it’s very possible that it can live on surfaces. It’s unlikely it’s a Norovirus-on-ship level of a mess.
I think it is, though. The most recent thing I read this a.m. is that they thought it was spread through the ship's canteen. A few days ago there was a flurry of information that this coronavirus could also be spread via fecal/oral transmission, which would fit with that theory. Being spread through the canteen definitely is norovirus-on-ship level of mess.

There was an cluster of SARS (another coronavirus) that spread that way (Amoy gardens outbreak) back in the day. It spread through the plumbing.

Seeing that the Chinese are spraying industrial disinfectants up and down the streets of their cities in response to the virus spreading , I think it is more than fair to believe that the virus spreads in additional ways besides droplets.

The Chinese reaction to Novel Coronavirus should make every question what the Chinese are telling us what they know about the virus.

Quick update on that cruise ship in Yokohama, the Princess Diamond.
THe 61 patients were out of 273 screened so far. I don't know what the criteria are for screening but there will more than likely be quite a few more cases.

The Chinese reaction to Novel Coronavirus should make every question what the Chinese are telling us what they know about the virus.
The sense I get from the epidemiology/ID pros on twitter is that no one trusts their figures any longer, and that the situation is worse than previously thought. How much worse is unknown.

The sense I get from the epidemiology/ID pros on twitter is that no one trusts their figures any longer, and that the situation is worse than previously thought. How much worse is unknown.

Do they have an opinion on how this started?

Wet markets seem to be the most common explanation. I've seen bats listed as the most likely transmitter though I also saw pangolins mentioned the other day. I find bats likely, they were the identified root of SARS and other infections but I hope it was pangolins. Perhaps that would stop people from eating an endangered species. Regardless of the animal, the basically unregulated wet markets are the most likely source of mutation and transmission.

As @jknezek mentioned, a bush animal source is likely. It is generally agreed that the infection didnt start in the Seafood Market, but was amplified there. Some of the earliest cases had no exposure to the market. Most agree it did have a single patient zero.

it is also hard to ignore the fact that China's only Level 4 pathogen lab is in Wuhan, so an accidental protocol breach there resulting in exposure is theoretically possible. The pros all discount that, but I'm sure our gov't will look into it, being paranoid is their job. The National Labs in the US that handle dangerous substances are out in the boonies. Even though it's unlikely to be the source, I hope they have learned they need to move that facility OUT of a city of 8 million people!

I don't understand the details, but virologists can learn a great deal about its origins just by studying the genome, eventually they'll have a pretty good idea what happened, which would be a lot easier if the Chinese goverment would even allow them to help.

Last edited:
Due to concern about this virus for our March trip I’m holding off booking anything non-refundable. Disney was a side trip for us. We go every year and this year was going to be more about DC/SW and the Gulf Coast beaches. Planned on getting Disney after hours tickets and a couple nights at AKL via Hotwire but no rush. Will see how this all shakes out.

Due to concern about this virus for our March trip I’m holding off booking anything non-refundable. Disney was a side trip for us. We go every year and this year was going to be more about DC/SW and the Gulf Coast beaches. Planned on getting Disney after hours tickets and a couple nights at AKL via Hotwire but no rush. Will see how this all shakes out.
My big concern is that my son will be flying from Washington DC home from spring break in a month. They've repatriated hundreds if not thousands of Americans, who were living in China, through DC. He has an n95 mask for the ride home, though. Also, campuses are always great breeding grounds for whatever bug is around and it wouldn't surprise me if the school closed before the end of the semester. We shall see.

My big concern is that my son will be flying from Washington DC home from spring break in a month. They've repatriated hundreds if not thousands of Americans, who were living in China, through DC. He has an n95 mask for the ride home, though. Also, campuses are always great breeding grounds for whatever bug is around and it wouldn't surprise me if the school closed before the end of the semester. We shall see.
One of the other useful things you can do is ensure he wear glasses. Not wearing glasses does reduce the usefulness of the mask.

One of the other useful things you can do is ensure he wear glasses. Not wearing glasses does reduce the usefulness of the mask.
Thanks for that tip. Yes, he does wear glasses. Unfortunately, he has to learn not to fiddle with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter