Asking for "free stuff"

ktdid23

Mouseketeer
I saw on another thread that the hotels have free 2013 sliders for the Magic Bands that they are giving out at check-in but that some folks aren't just "getting them"... They have to ask. I also saw that someone was told by a CM that there are a variety of "ask and you shall receive" giveaways from the resorts, parks, restaurants, etc. Anyone had this experience? What did you get?

EDIT: I'm NOT asking about pixie dust things.. Just things that are available to anyone, at any time. Maybe it's only the 2013 sliders at check in :-) Thanks for the replies.

I'm sure not everyone can but this guy who was working at POFQ made this boy a dog balloon than walked away so I told my son to ask him for one. And he made him one :) it was awesome haha

But I would definitely like to know anything else :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

The CM's have a lot of leeway they can do or not do for you.
Some of the things a CM can do for free are
. . . table with Mickey confetti
. . . your name/celebration on menu at TS locations (except BOG)
. . . best table location
. . . special personalized menu
. . . character-autographed birthday cards
. . . balloons
. . . balloon animals
. . . wine or champagne or Shirley Temples
. . . room towel animals
. . . appetizers or desserts
. . . cakes
. . . cupcake with candle (almost always available for the asking)
. . . place mats autographed by characters
. . . free appy or free dessert
. . . ride an attraction with a character
. . . personalization items for the Magic Bands
Other items CM's can give for free
. . . room full of balloons and/or flowers
. . . fruit basket or wine basket in hotel room
. . . individual fast passes or booklets of several fast passes
. . . food and snack items (candy, popcorn, sundries)
. . . room upgrades
. . . attraction rides with characters

The CM's have a lot of leeway they can do or not do for you. Some of the things a CM can do for free are . . . table with Mickey confetti . . . your name/celebration on menu at TS locations (except BOG) . . . best table location . . . special personalized menu . . . character-autographed birthday cards . . . balloons . . . balloon animals . . . wine or champagne or Shirley Temples . . . room towel animals . . . appetizers or desserts . . . cakes . . . cupcake with candle (almost always available for the asking) . . . place mats autographed by characters . . . free appy or free dessert . . . ride an attraction with a character . . . personalization items for the Magic Bands Other items CM's can give for free . . . room full of balloons and/or flowers . . . fruit basket or wine basket in hotel room . . . individual fast passes or booklets of several fast passes . . . food and snack items (candy, popcorn, sundries) . . . room upgrades . . . attraction rides with characters
Wow! That is awesome. Thanks for the list!

We were just there 3 weeks ago and used the magic bands (loved them BTW) and saw others with slide on glow in the dark Mickey Ears bar with the date. They didn't offer this to us but when we asked at the desk if we could have one, they gave it to us. I don't know if there was a limited amount of them so they are only giving as asked or what.

I did receive free Mickey ears one year randomly at DTD while we were walking.

. . . balloons
. . . balloon animals
. . . room towel animals
. . . cakes
. . . room upgrades

How could I make this happen for my boys?

We were just there 3 weeks ago and used the magic bands (loved them BTW) and saw others with slide on glow in the dark Mickey Ears bar with the date. They didn't offer this to us but when we asked at the desk if we could have one, they gave it to us. I don't know if there was a limited amount of them so they are only giving as asked or what.

I did receive free Mickey ears one year randomly at DTD while we were walking.

:thumbsup2

. . . balloons
. . . balloon animals
. . . room towel animals
. . . cakes
. . . room upgrades

While it's an impressive list, it makes me sad to read it because I know someone will be upset if they don't get any of this. I think Pixie Dust should be completely by surprise, you know what I mean?

While it's an impressive list, it makes me sad to read it because I know someone will be upset if they don't get any of this. I think Pixie Dust should be completely by surprise, you know what I mean?

Agree 110%

While my DD and I were waiting for our order at the Backlot Express a CM behind the counter noticed we only had one cup between us (we were sharing, it was a small money saver for me). He said "I count 2 of you" to which I responded "yes, we're sharing". He made a big deal about it and said "we can't have that" and gave us another cup.

This pixie dust isn't even close to what some people get (or expect) but I was thrilled that he took the time to notice and made our day even brighter by the gesture. For us, it's the small, unexpected things.

pixiedust:

ktdid23 said:
I saw on another thread that the hotels have free 2013 sliders for the Magic Bands that they are giving out at check-in but that some folks aren't just "getting them"... They have to ask. I also saw that someone was told by a CM that there are a variety of "ask and you shall receive" giveaways from the resorts, parks, restaurants, etc.

Anyone had this experience? What did you get?

sadly our sept stay at BC we were not given the glow in the dark "2013" that pops on ur magic band
and sadly at our stay again in sept at CL AKL we also did not get these even though we got another set of bands!!!
we saw them on people and asked where they got them and yup they were given to them during check in

we stayed at CL AKL in sept for our anniversary and got the anniversary button and a nice gift from the CL Cm's but at our dinner at boma not even a happy anniversary for the staff and then breakfast a CP nothing....my previous stay in 2007 at the CL POLY we were on DDP and every place we ate we either had table w confeti cupcake with candle a special dessert plate or a card autographed by the characters and did not ask for this but our reservation noted it was our anniversary so they took upon themselves to do this i was sad no of this was done as i feel this is what disney is all about. there were other things we could not doe like ride up front in the mono rail...did that lots in 2007

sadly our sept stay at BC we were not given the glow in the dark "2013" that pops on ur magic band
and sadly at our stay again in sept at CL AKL we also did not get these even though we got another set of bands!!!
we saw them on people and asked where they got them and yup they were given to them during check in

to quote a pp....exactly.:rolleyes1 What is sad about staying at those wonderful places? as noted, these things CAN hapen...but to be 'sad' when you don't get them...well now come on....;)

My experience is striking up conversations with CMs will be rewarding. The CMs are wonderful people and will bend over backwards to make your visit exciting.

to quote a pp....exactly.:rolleyes1 What is sad about staying at those wonderful places? as noted, these things CAN hapen...but to be 'sad' when you don't get them...well now come on....;)

As i said in my post this is what Disney is know for :scratchin. I can stay OP at hotels a lot nicer for the prices I pay. I chose to pay the extra cost for the "Disney treatment" which is them going that one extra step for their guest. Why bother asking if you are celebrating a magical moment if it does not matter to anyone looking at the reservations. :confused3

having confetti on your table does not take much effort and does not cost much but the smile it puts on peoples faces when they approach the table should be what Disney is looking for their guest to feel. pixiedust:

Riding in the front of the monorail does not cost them a dime but it sure did again put a big smile on people's faces pixiedust:

This is the company who advertises how you need to spend you special moments with them so Not like I am complaining about not getting any free upgrades geesh.....

How could I make this happen for my boys?

I don't think they're going to give your kids all of them. It's not like you can go in and ask for the Freeloader Package and they bombard you with stuff for your entire trip. I think the poster meant it as a general list of possibilities.

They stopped the front of the monorail rides for guest due to safety, not because they wanted to take the magic away.

Riding in the front of the monorail does not cost them a dime but it sure did again put a big smile on people's faces pixiedust:

It would have been very expensive for them if there had been guests in the front during the crash in 2009 that killed the driver, which is why they stopped allowing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter