At What Age Do You Not Replace a Dog?

We've decided no more pets. We've had many different ones over the years (Iguanas, Chameleons, rabbits, snakes, cats, etc.) and with our last cat passing away recently we are just done. We want the freedom to just pack up and go wherever without having to worry about who will look after any critters.

Such a personal decision. I am 72,DH is 74. 4 years ago we adopted 2 rescues (bonded paid) At the time I was working full time, DH retired. Didn't know the business I was working for was being sold and I was without a job. Had I known that I never would have taken on more dogs with both of us being retired.

I have them now, love them and we have arranged in our will how they will be taken care of. The place where I adopted them from will take them back and rehome if needed.

I think the time not to get another dog is when you think to yourself "I don't really want another dog." But, this sounds like a loaded observation:
And how much does other family opinion play into the decision?
That really depends on who it is, what their opinion is, and why.

I will say that as much as I loved having a pet, I also love that I'm at a point in my life that if I want to get up and go on a trip on the spur of the moment, I can do that. No guilt over boarding, etc. etc. Do I miss the companionship of a pet? Yes, sometimes I do. But, I also have developed a bunch of relationships in my recovery fellowship group, and have gotten used to being alone in my own skin. So it does not feel like an ache like it might have in the past.

Such a complicated question. I have definitely given it some thought for our situation.

We have a 12 year old mix—shih-tzu/bichon. She is very healthy at the moment and both breeds being smaller tend to live longer than average. We still have at least 5 years before retirement as our youngest is a junior in high school and we won’t retire until she is through college. I am thinking we will not replace this dog when she passes as we are interested in traveling and not being tied down. Once we start to slow down a bit I would consider another dog depending on our children. If one or more of them lived close and was willing to take the dog on when we traveled or if we passed away/needed to move to a non pet friendly situation, I could see us getting another dog. My oldest is very much an animal lover and I could see her being willing and able to help with that especially if she lands close to where we are.

My dad is 82 and about a year ago adopted a 6 year old female poodle mix who had been used for breeding. My mom had died about 1 1/2 years before that and he was lonely. She is about 30 pounds and definitely gives him a reason to get up every day. I have theee sisters who live nearby and all of us have dogs. I told him when he got the dog that one of us would take her if something happened to him. He seems to have decided that person is me. I was hoping for the sister who always has a houseful of pets. Anyways the now 7 year old dog doesn’t really fit into my travel plans mentioned above, but I would take her if one of the other three doesn’t want her and would make sure she had a nice life. She does get along fine with my dog so that is a plus.

We are older too, but went ahead and got a puppy, and are glad we did. Most dogs don't live longer than about 15 years, so if you want a young dog there is no reason to assume you won't be there to grow old together.

We know our kids will take our dog if the worst happens, but we decided we didn't want to live the remaining years just counting off the years waiting to die. As long as our dog will be safe and loved no matter what, we're content with our decision.

We love dogs but our current labrador has cancer and could go any time, and we won't replace him. Even small dogs are a tripping hazard in our old age and we just aren't active enough to keep up with a fun-loving hound.

It's nice to hear so many putting so much thought into having pets, which is exactly how it should be. We haven't had a dog in over 20 years at this point because losing my beloved boy broke my heart and I couldn't face another stepping into his place, or the prospect of that loss again. Our house did and still does feel empty.

Currently we're attempting to get my clueless, lazy brother in law to quit bringing, and leaving, his sweet but overly energetic dog at my very elderly in-laws' home. Falls and ER visits are more than common enough at this point and a very unpredictable dog underfoot just isn't needed in the mix.

Around 5 years ago (age 55 for me and 57 for hubby) we got my last "new" dog. Then, oops, we fostered a dog 2 years ago and we ended up with her. So we are in our 60s now with a 6 year old dog and a 3 year old dog. If all goes well we will be pushing early 70s when their time is up. I can't imagine not having a dog but I won't get a puppy. I am working with too many shelters and rescues were elderly owners are pre-deceasing their pets and the pets are ending up in the shelter. Many of the pets are older too. It's SOOOOO sad.

I've decided that I will adopt dogs that are seniors from there on out. If I only get a year or two out of them, so be it. I want to make their last years nice. As much as I can. Is should have done it this time.

Last edited:
If you're only in your 60's and healthy then I'd say go for it.
Its likely you'd still outlive your pet.
And heck I'd say even if you're in your 80's and your health is declining as long as you have talked it through with your family and someone has agreed that they will take it or say they have talked to one of their friends and they are willing to adopt the pet after your passing then go for it!

We are 50 and lost our 17 year old doggo back in the fall. We won't get another. We like to travel and are also having to go back home (14 hours drive) at the drop of a hat to deal with our elderly folks with medical situations. And after several years of sleepless nights with our old doggo and cleaning up messes and having to walk him a lot and having him on the road trips back home....etc...well, we are just over all that.

I love doggos and would love to have one if I don't consider all it entails. Like if I am just impulsive when I am at a resue or pet store or something, I'd come home with a new fur baby. But if I really think it out, it isn't for us anymore. Neither of us want to put in the time or money to care for a new doggo (for what could be 17 years, like out last one). Also don't want to go through losing another doggo. It was heartbreaking to watch the decline and then say goodbye.

Our DS-27 moved back in with a kitty and, while he is way way less maintenance than the old doggo was, he is still more work than the DH wants to deal with. I love the kitty snuggles (when he is in the snuggle mood). I can see having a kitty of our own someday. But DH wants zero additional (besides he and I) living being responsibilities right now. (Also anxious for the DS to move out too, lol). But maybe in a couple years, I can get a kitty.

Last edited:
My MIL has always had dogs but after her last boy labradoodle passed away 6yrs ago she said no more. She’s now 82 and since she lives next door she is content with seeing our two daily, especially since we built raised garden beds that are now her domain.

We are 60 and 62 and will not be getting a new dog anytime soon. We want to enjoy being able to go away without worrying about who will watch our dog. Maybe later we will get another dog but not now. My mother on the other hand got a rescue dog a few years ago when she was 85. He gives her lots of love and companionship, gets her out several times a day walking and just makes her so happy. She is 90 now and we are so happy he is there for her and she is there for him. They are a perfect fit. I guess it just depends on the circumstances.

I'm a nurse and I visit a lot of elderly patients in their homes. I have quite a few patients who still have dogs/cats. I don't think there is anything wrong with having pets even into your 80s and 90s. Most of my patients get a lot of joy/comfort from their pets.

But.... I definitely think it's wise to ensure the pet is an appropriate size/energy level for the owner. Avoid pets that have too much energy or require too much care. I also think the pet needs to be very well trained for a number of reasons. Pet misbehavior can result in mishaps/accidents for the owner. And, if the owner has an issue that prevents them from keeping the animal - a well-behaved/well-trained pet is much easier to rehome.

This made me cry. I'm 57 and my husband is 59. We lost our last baby in July of last year. We have had 2-3 dogs at any given time since we have been together. We waited all of 3 weeks before deciding we had to get another. We adopted a pit bull/great dane mix from rhe animal shelter that was 5 months old. I knew at the time that it would be our last "young" dog. I can't even express that in words to my husband because I'll just cry and be a mess. But I know if our Blue lives to 12 or 13 that we will be in our early/mid 70's and it wouldn't be right to get another puppy. LIke some others have said I would like to take in some older dogs after I retire so as hard and sad as it will be to lose them at least I'll be able to have their pure, beautiful souls with me until I get too old to care for them.

I have quite a few patients who still have dogs/cats. I don't think there is anything wrong with having pets even into your 80s and 90s.
Having the companionship of a pet doesn't mean you are the primary caretaker of them though. It can for sure, no doubt, but not always.

Absolutely people in their elderly age (especially the 80 and 90 yr olds you're talking about) can and do take care of pets but there are also people who still technically own a pet but the primary duties have shifted to someone else. And that increases in probability the older you get as the ability to physically and mentally do tasks reduces. From relying on family members to come over to take care of the pet to hiring out services.

And, if the owner has an issue that prevents them from keeping the animal - a well-behaved/well-trained pet is much easier to rehome.
I think that's part of the moral and practical quandary though--rehoming.

Like a PP mentioned with shelters it's the case here too plus Nextdoor posts aplenty. I just saw one yesterday about a pair of dogs rehomed because their owner (the mom of the person who made the post) in advanced age fell and broke their hip and could no longer take care of the dogs and the daughter (who created the post) could not take care of the dogs. Unfortunately the dogs were separated and it took a while for the second one (aged 7) to get adopted.

I thought of another thing to do to help fill the void---pet sitting/services.

We're on our 3rd time using Rover (the 3rd time is in several weeks) and the person who took care of our cat back in February is also taking care of our cat in May. She's retired and does this as her thing.

Our dog is 9 and has developed a condition in both eyes and is almost completely blind. It came on so fast and the dog eye doctor said there is nothing she can do. The next however many years she has, I will devote to caring for her. I currently make her food because she has stomach issues and now I have to give her eye drops 4 times a day. She is the sweetest little girl and it kills me that she can’t enjoy the things she used to like chasing squirrels in the backyard because she can’t see them.

I think once she is gone we will wait quite a while before we adopt again. We will likely be in our early 60s by then and will want to do some traveling. After that, a senior dog will be the next dog we adopt.

I can’t imagine not having a dog in my life, but I think mid-70s will be our cut off.

I've had dogs all my life, from birth till now. We're in our sixties, active, happy, stable.

I love herding dogs and the level of intelligence. We lost a 'heart' dog over a year ago and only have one dog. We have had multiples for the past 30 years. My dog is lonely. We miss having two.

My kids are starting their families and I do help at times. And when they visit, my 'grand dog' comes too.

But I sure miss my boy and would like to get another. We have the time and finances....but at what point is it the 'Last dog'?

And how much does other family opinion play into the decision?

I realize folks in their 80s with a dog, could be putting a burden on family if they pass before the dog.

Thoughts?

I would say don't think too much into it.

We have 4 dogs, we'll always have dogs because they are a part of our family and I think the relationship is good for both dog and human.

If you want another dog, especially as a buddy for your current pup, then follow what you want to do. It shouldn't matter what others think, etc.

I can't fathom the pain of losing dogs anymore. It is horrible to love something so much, and then know they will die.

Yes, at all the places to adopt a pet, no one ever brings up the fact that the day one actually does adopt a pet, one is also destining a day when one will lose the pet. Some people will even have to choose the day they have to euthanize their beloved pet.

That happened to me. It devastated and broke me. :sad: I haven't gotten another pet since. As much as I watch cute pet videos on YouTube and love how cuddly they are, the idea that I would be destining myself to another heartbreak like that is not something I think I can do again.

Also don't want to go through losing another doggo. It was heartbreaking to watch the decline and then say goodbye. [. . .]

But maybe in a couple years, I can get a kitty.

Unless you don't like cats as much, the heartbreak is the same watching a beloved cat decline and then have to choose the day to say goodbye. Just something to think about - it may not be any easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter