At What Age Do You Not Replace a Dog?

If you're only in your 60's and healthy then I'd say go for it.
Its likely you'd still outlive your pet.
And heck I'd say even if you're in your 80's and your health is declining as long as you have talked it through with your family and someone has agreed that they will take it or say they have talked to one of their friends and they are willing to adopt the pet after your passing then go for it!
💯

And that increases in probability the older you get as the ability to physically and mentally do tasks reduces. From relying on family members to come over to take care of the pet to hiring out services.
There’s a school of thot that having a pet is very beneficial
For elderly as to get them moving, give structure/purpose & companionship.

There is an active contingent of retirees here who are in better shape now than when working as we have more time to exercise and be mindful. Racking up multiple Disney trips a year of 10+ miles helps that cause lol

while many 60 & 70 y.o. Are in better physical and mental health than those half their age; one absolutely needs to be realistic about their mortality. Estate planning needs to include all facets, including pets

I admire the movement for seniors to open their hearts to senior pets. Nobody deserves to be written off

There is an active contingent of retirees here who are in better shape now than when working as we have more time to exercise and be mindful. Racking up multiple Disney trips a year of 10+ miles helps that cause lol

while many 60 & 70 y.o. Are in better physical and mental health than those half their age; one absolutely needs to be realistic about their mortality. Estate planning needs to include all facets, including pets

I admire the movement for seniors to open their hearts to senior pets. Nobody deserves to be written off
The topic was getting another pet which is a different conversation than having an existing pet and aging with them.

Companionship isn't the same as actually taking care of the pet. Sometimes practical things have to be mentioned. Things like bending down to put food or water bowls, walking (especially a dog), grooming and more. That's not age dependent but those become more difficult to do physically as one ages. And mental tasks of pet ownership can become more difficult as one ages. And the practical nature of injuries that as one ages can sideline someone for longer than someone younger.

Companionship of a pet often brings joy and fulfillment to people in general. But having a pet is more than that. And it's my opinion that we are there for our pets first and foremost not the other way around. I think you read my comment to be generic towards age, that's not it, but you do have to consider forward thinking. You don't stay aged 60 forever, 65 forever, etc and when asking yourself about getting a new pet it's different.

I too admire seniors to open their hearts to senior pets but that wasn't the question the OP asked and there are also ways to engage with dogs, including senior dogs, that don't mean you adopt them, you can but there are other ways.

I'm coming at it from a compassionate nature but on the side of the pet. YMMV of course.

We adore our 8 year old Shih Tzu. We agree we could never replace such a perfect dog. My DH would like another, but not being able to come and go is hard. We could reasonably survive at least one more, but I'm not sure my heart or mind could take.

Cats, now that's another story lol.

Eta: although this is how she acts boarding. I know most of you already know my Honeybun.
1000001846.jpg

💯

Having a pet is *very* beneficial to most people at any age. I'd love to see more pets living and loving in nursing facilities. I'm sure some do and some visit, but it's not nearly widespread enough. They are absolutely soothing for people who enjoy animals but are otherwise going through a rough time of it.

I continue to agree with @Mackenzie Click-Mickelson in that we also have an obligation to them. No one of any age can predict the future. A young person can pass prematurely, or other things can happen. We've got a rescue trying to place a dog right now whose owner landed in prison and signed over the dog to the county. But statistically, if you are 70 years old and you get a chihuaha puppy, you can count on a life expectancy of 15-16 years. People just need to think that through. How do you feel about either needing a nursing home situation and/or death and the pet has only known you and a comfy home for say 12 years and it lands in a shelter. Believe me, people are not banging down the shelter door to get to the 12 year old dog. Even the 5 year old dogs are struggling to get adopted.

I do like that, at least, our local shelters are starting to socialize the older dogs on social media more and getting out the message that these can be good starter dogs for people not used to puppies or for older people who need a calmer dog. Most of them have been well loved by family and just end up in the shelter for unfortunate circumstances. But they aren't as "cute" anymore so tough to adopt out.

I'll try to get off my soapbox on this--it's very near and dear to my heart because I can't imagine the agony they go through when this happens.

My mil got puppies in her 70s after her older dogs passed away. She put a plan in place of who should pick up the dogs should she pass. Her friend took the dogs into their care after she passed and then another family adopted them.

Having a pet is *very* beneficial to most people at any age. I'd love to see more pets living and loving in nursing facilities. I'm sure some do and some visit, but it's not nearly widespread enough. They are absolutely soothing for people who enjoy animals but are otherwise going through a rough time of it.
Commonplace here, thankfully. My mother passed a year ago, was in nursing home Alzheimer’s unit for over a decade. One of the few times she (and many others) would come out of the fog was when the therapy dogs visited. Luckily, several times a week.

Know several retired people who went thru the courses required and love visiting the nursing homes and residential schools in our metro area.

FYI it’s not uncommon for nursing home families to bring in their pets for frequent visits. That was really great to observe!

We were both 56 when we lost our last pet, a cat, and decided then that we did not want to have to:
1) Deal with the care of a pet in retirement because we plan to travel, and any pet we would have gotten would have likely lived until we were in our 70's.
2) Deal with the death of a pet. As my Father In Law put it, he was tired of having his heart broken.

DH and I have already decided not to get another rabbit after our current one passes. We are about three years from retirement and have plans to travel. My sister is in the same situation, planning to retire in less than a year. Her rabbit is around 11-years old and she doesn't plan to get another. She might even travel with us at some point, which doesn't really happen right now because of the rabbits. Ours is 9-years old and requires daily medication. I trust my sister to take care of mine while I'm away and vice versa. As she put it, "One of us has to stay home because we have these old bunnies." I might considering fostering rescue rabbits, if I am confident that I won't be "foster-fail" and adopt them. Yeah, I have a history of that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter