*August 2019 check in*

Midday, afternoon, and evening crowds seem to be getting larger. I hope I didn’t jinx things with my pondering if Maxpass will really be necessary for us...

Midday, afternoon, and evening crowds seem to be getting larger. I hope I didn’t jinx things with my pondering if Maxpass will really be necessary for us...

It still looks calmer than usual for this time of year. We always take our trip in August and the wait times on the app are much lower than we usually see.

I’d still get MaxPass though!

I'm going solo Aug 15-16. I haven't been to Disneyland since 1986 (when I was 3), so this is extremely exciting for me! Last minute trip booked today since my husband will be in Costa Mesa for work. I'm panicking!

I'm going solo Aug 15-16. I haven't been to Disneyland since 1986 (when I was 3), so this is extremely exciting for me! Last minute trip booked today since my husband will be in Costa Mesa for work. I'm panicking!

How exciting, I've added you to the list!

Other than the obvious "being alone in the parks for 2 days", what are you panicking about? There are so many of us in this thread who have a ton of experience at DL, maybe we can help with some of your concerns?

It still looks calmer than usual for this time of year. We always take our trip in August and the wait times on the app are much lower than we usually see.
Yes, especially the mornings in Disneyland seem extra quiet, probably because a lot of them rope drop GE. We’ve been going in early August for many years, too, and I noticed a similar trend the year that Cars Land opened. I figure it’ll be even more pronounced when ROTR opens, with GE then bursting at the seams and the rest of the park being downright pleasant.

I also noticed that FPs seem to run out later in the day than in past Augusts. At the same time there are somewhat erratic spikes in wait times here and there, at least from what I have seen.

I figure Maxpass has spoiled me a bit... it’s so nice to be able to draw FPs remotely and to only have to wait 1.5 hours for the next after drawing one of the top tier ones. I just don’t know if we NEED it or if I’m just lazy & loving the convenience of it. I guess we might start with legacy passes in the morning on our first day, and then we can see how the day unfolds (as opposed to getting Maxpass as early as possible, right after I got my ticket scanned, as we did last year).

Last edited:
Don't panic, it will be amazing!!!! Ask anything the rest of us will be more than happy to help you...

How exciting, I've added you to the list!

Other than the obvious "being alone in the parks for 2 days", what are you panicking about? There are so many of us in this thread who have a ton of experience at DL, maybe we can help with some of your concerns?

I'm actually super excited about being alone in the parks! No pressure to make sure it's a "perfect" vacation for my family.

When I plan for Disney World, I usually have 6-9 moths to plan and refine my dining options & park itineraries. So a last minute trip to Disneyland & DCA is daunting.

I have 1 park/day with MaxPass, and I plan on rope dropping both days. For rides that offer single rider line, would I be better off doing that than trying for a Fastpass? And how does MaxPass/FastPass work for World of Color? Do I need to use the kiosk to get a fastpass or can I book it through the app, and if I book it through the app, am I allowed book another through the app or do I need to use a kiosk?

I'm not really planning on any table service meals and would love to just snack my way through the parks. Are there any MUST DO table service meals? And where/what should I eat?!?! I'm definitely getting a Little Red Wagon corn dog, but other than that, I have no idea. Any tips, hints, and advice are more than welcome!

Last edited:

I'm actually super excited about being alone in the parks! No pressure to make sure it's a "perfect" vacation for my family.

When I plan for Disney World, I usually have 6-9 moths to plan and refine my dining options & park itineraries. So a last minute trip to Disneyland & DCA is daunting.

I have 1 park/day with MaxPass, and I plan on rope dropping both days. For rides that offer single rider line, would I be better off doing that than trying for a Fastpass? And how does MaxPass/FastPass work for World of Color? Do I need to use the kiosk to get a fastpass or can I book it through the app, and if I book it through the app, am I allowed book another through the app or do I need to use a kiosk?

I'm not really planning on any table service meals and would love to just snack my way through the parks. Are there any MUST DO table service meals? And where/what should I eat?!?! I'm definitely getting a Little Red Wagon corn dog, but other than that, I have no idea. Any tips, hints, and advice are more than welcome!

The real secret to DL/DCA vs WDW is that a WDW trip really requires pre-planning but DL/DCA merely benefit from it.

The two parks are really close together so if you did have a parkhopper, you could easily go back and forth a few times so planning which park on which day is not as important. As you have the 1 park per day ticket, I would go to DL on the day that DCA has early entry for onsite guests and then DCA on the day that DL has it. (Unless you are staying onsite and get early entry into both parks, then definitely use that extra hour in the morning!)

Re: WoC and FP. You can book WoC FP through the app or get one at the FP kiosk. I am almost 100% sure you can hold a WoC FP and still get attraction FPs during the day.

There are some TS meals that people say you MUST DO but others disagree. Blue Bayou has an ambiance that cannot be beat but in our opinion the food is mediocre and overpriced. Cafe Orleans is another fan fave but I had a terrible meal there and am in no great hurry to go back.

It's not TS but our "must do every single trip" meal is the fried chicken from Plaza Inn. Oh, and Micky beignets for sure!

I'm always with my husband and son at DL so I have never used the SR line. I'll leave that question for others to answer. :)

The real secret to DL/DCA vs WDW is that a WDW trip really requires pre-planning but DL/DCA merely benefit from it.

The two parks are really close together so if you did have a parkhopper, you could easily go back and forth a few times so planning which park on which day is not as important. As you have the 1 park per day ticket, I would go to DL on the day that DCA has early entry for onsite guests and then DCA on the day that DL has it. (Unless you are staying onsite and get early entry into both parks, then definitely use that extra hour in the morning!)

Re: WoC and FP. You can book WoC FP through the app or get one at the FP kiosk. I am almost 100% sure you can hold a WoC FP and still get attraction FPs during the day.

There are some TS meals that people say you MUST DO but others disagree. Blue Bayou has an ambiance that cannot be beat but in our opinion the food is mediocre and overpriced. Cafe Orleans is another fan fave but I had a terrible meal there and am in no great hurry to go back.

It's not TS but our "must do every single trip" meal is the fried chicken from Plaza Inn. Oh, and Micky beignets for sure!

I'm always with my husband and son at DL so I have never used the SR line. I'll leave that question for others to answer. :)

Thanks so much! I'm from New Orleans, so I'm ok with skipping Blue Bayou and Cafe Orleans. I'm always ready for beignets though!

Only 12 more days!!!!!! I.can't.wait. DS14 and I spent several hours yesterday going over the list of attractions and entertainment. (We are getting park hoppers and Max Pass.) This is our most up to date itinerary:

Saturday (arrive at SNO, 11:00 am) - DCA
11:00 - Arrive at SNO, drop bags off at Dessert Inn, go straight to park
Lunch - Thinking I might pick something up at the airport when we land
DS14 wants to meet the Marvel super heroes, ride every ride and meet all the "citizens" in Cars Land, and do Cali River Rapids. He also shocked me by stating that he wants to watch Frozen at the Hyperion but we might leave that for another day.
I definitely want to ride Soarin' over California and get our free Visa card member photo. I'm also hoping we have some downtime and get to enjoy all the streetsmosphere in Buena Vista Street and live music in Paradise Gardens and Pixar Pier
Dinner - Quick Service
9:30 pm ADR - WOC dessert party

Sunday - Disneyland
Breakfast at hotel and then check-in to a park so we can make some Max Pass reservations
10:30 am ADR - breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen, although technically speaking, since we come from Houston it's really lunch time for us.
Adventureland / New Orleans Square / Critter Country / Frontierland
Lunch will be QS at whatever land we are at when we get hungry
6:00 pm ADR -Hungy Bear Fantasmic! On the Go dinner package
9:00 - Fantasmic! / fireworks from Rivers of America

Monday - Disneyland
breakfast at hotel
rope drop Space Mountain then visit the rest of Tomorrowland
lunch and afternoon in SWGE
Rest of the day will depend on our level of energy and how much we got done at DCA on Saturday. We are playing it by ear. We might do the 5:00 Frozen show at the Hyperion and call it a day.
dinner - tbd

Tuesday - Disneyland (Magic Morning)
7:00 am - 8:00 am - Magic Morning in Fantasyland - The plan is to basically ride all the rides that are "exclusive" to Disneyland that you can't ride in DW. Also, take photo in front of castle with almost empty park. :-)
8:00 - FP rides in Fantasyland, then enjoy the streetsmosphere and do some shopping on Main Street
lunch - QS in either Fantasyland or Main Street (trying to move my Carnation Cafe reservation to lunch but nothing is available before 1:20 pm, we might end up at the Plaza Inn)
afternoon - leaving it open to spontaneity!
6:00 pm ADR - Carnation Cafe

Wednesday - Departure Day ):
"brunch" at GCH Craftman Grill / shopping at Downtown Disney

Only 12 more days!!!!!! I.can't.wait. DS14 and I spent several hours yesterday going over the list of attractions and entertainment. (We are getting park hoppers and Max Pass.)

I Love that your son is helping with the planning. I find that most of my trips I ask for input but get very little.

My daughter (22) has been helping me a bit this trip, She made decisions last night on our meal reservations so that is out of the way. I started packing last night and have almost everything packed. I'm going to work on our plans now and will try to post them a little later.

Thanks so much! I'm from New Orleans, so I'm ok with skipping Blue Bayou and Cafe Orleans. I'm always ready for beignets though!
Get the Jazz Kitchen Express’s beignets in Downtown Disney (and let us know how they compare with what you know from back home!). NOT Mickey-shaped but fresh & delicious & worth each and every calorie, at least according to my kids (I’m a low-carb person, so no beignets for me).

Only 12 more days!!!!!! I.can't.wait. DS14 and I spent several hours yesterday going over the list of attractions and entertainment. (We are getting park hoppers and Max Pass.) This is our most up to date itinerary:

Wow, you're got it really planned. Nice that your son is helping. My son doesn't usually get into it until we actually get to the parks, and he gets the maps and starts figuring stuff out. We'll have MaxPass though this trip and he asked if he could also have it on his app so I guess he wants to make the reservations. I have no problem with that.

Get the Jazz Kitchen Express’s beignets in Downtown Disney (and let us know how they compare with what you know from back home!). NOT Mickey-shaped but fresh & delicious & worth each and every calorie, at least according to my kids (I’m a low-carb person, so no beignets for me).
Speaking of beignets, does anyone know if they have gluten free ones somewhere in DL or DCA?

The only ride with single rider I would recommend getting a Fastpass for us RSR in Cars land. The single rider line can get long.... I’d also recommend splurging in the park hopper-I think you’ll find you’ll want to hop and can’t. The park entrances are about a 1/2 a football field a part so really easy to park hop.

Be sure to ride soaring over California- they brought it back just for the summer so it’s not something you can see/ ride at Disneyworld

The only ride with single rider I would recommend getting a Fastpass for us RSR in Cars land. The single rider line can get long.... I’d also recommend splurging in the park hopper-I think you’ll find you’ll want to hop and can’t. The park entrances are about a 1/2 a football field a part so really easy to park hop.

Be sure to ride soaring over California- they brought it back just for the summer so it’s not something you can see/ ride at Disneyworld

Thank you!
I will definitely consider the park hopper. Soarin over California is on my to-do list! I am also thrilled that I'll get to see the Main Street Electrical Parade!

The only ride with single rider I would recommend getting a Fastpass for us RSR in Cars land. The single rider line can get long.... I’d also recommend splurging in the park hopper-I think you’ll find you’ll want to hop and can’t.
So true! Especially right now that the wait times tend to be a little erratic, the ability to hop makes you so much more flexible.

I always get FP for Soaring, even if the standby line is short (in that case the FP return time may be quick or even immediate). I have had very bad experiences with that standby line (one of two projection setups breaking down and my family and I getting stuck in the front of a standby line that was no longer moving, watching people with FPs getting onto the ride).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter