August W.I.S.H. Challenge - The Sunday of Summer

Hey all hope I'm not to late to join the party.
I'm Shannon, 37 from RI. A mom to DS 8, DS 5 AND DD who will be 2 next week. I am. Biz Analyst for a local bank and have been working from home since March which has cut down my excersize which consisted mainly of long walks on lunch breaks 3+ times a week and weekend outings to zoos and aquariums with my kiddos.

My goal while not weight loss is toning. I want to be able to move around without feeling jiggly.

I have started trying to squeeze in a couple zumba routines and/or blogilates 5 min workouts while my computer boots up, making dinner, after the kids go to sleep...basically whenever I can find a min. Goal is to do this 4-6 times a week paired with drinking more water and healthier snacking...if you have not made chick-pea buckeyes look them up on Pintrest NOW.

I have just returned to the boards recently as an attempt at adult conversation away from twitter...which makes me increasingly sad and anxious and I'm sure is NOT helping my health goals.

I was on the Dis boards ages ago and had no idea this thread existed.

So here I am, pleasure to meet you all. Have a wonderful weekend. Hope you have some fun plans! Ours will likely include cleaning the yard. Isaias rolled through here earlier this week. We were fortunate to not lose power or have heavy damage but the amount of sticks and leaves and dirt in the bottom of the pool right now is pretty epic.

I'm Shannon, 37 from RI. A mom to DS 8, DS 5 AND DD who will be 2 next week. I am. Biz Analyst for a local bank and have been working from home since March which has cut down my excersize which consisted mainly of long walks on lunch breaks 3+ times a week and weekend outings to zoos and aquariums with my kiddos.

My goal while not weight loss is toning. I want to be able to move around without feeling jiggly.

I have started trying to squeeze in a couple zumba routines and/or blogilates 5 min workouts while my computer boots up, making dinner, after the kids go to sleep...basically whenever I can find a min. Goal is to do this 4-6 times a week paired with drinking more water and healthier snacking...if you have not made chick-pea buckeyes look them up on Pintrest NOW.

I have just returned to the boards recently as an attempt at adult conversation away from twitter...which makes me increasingly sad and anxious and I'm sure is NOT helping my health goals.

So here I am, pleasure to meet you all. Have a wonderful weekend. Hope you have some fun plans! Ours will likely include cleaning the yard. Isaias rolled through here earlier this week. We were fortunate to not lose power or have heavy damage but the amount of sticks and leaves and dirt in the bottom of the pool right now is pretty epic.
:welcome:

You are never too late to the party.

I understand the need for positive adult conversation. I too have been working from home (teaching remotely) during the pandemic. (Not looking forward to returning to the classroom at the end of the month). There are a few threads that I follow just to help me stay positive. The first one is, "FUNNY MEMES" on the Community Board, which usually makes me laugh, and the second one is, "THE GOOD NEWS IS..." on the Disneyland Community Board.

Exercise is a challenge for me too. In March, April, and May, I walked on the beach almost daily. Then summer came, and along with that the mask-less crowds. I can't seem to get up early enough to avoid them.

Anyway, it is nice to have you here with us.

:welcome:
It’s never too late to join! We’re happy to have you join us! The more, the merrier!

To all my teacher friends on here, have your schools/teachers been talking about wearing scrubs? I didn’t realize this was a topic of conversation amongst our teacher union and admin until yesterday’s faculty meeting when they said we were approved to wear scrubs and sneakers if we choose. So we don’t have to, but it’s an option. I’m just worried about the kids and what that will look to them. I don’t want to pretend to be a health professional either. So a few of us in primary grades were thinking scrub pants with tshirts. My sister is a pediatrician and I asked her thoughts. She said scrubs are usually moisture resistant and some brands are antimicrobial. But basically it would be best to be covers and wear stuff that is easy to wash (no dry cleaning). But I’m just curious what other areas are doing. I hadn’t heard about teachers wearing scrubs...but at the same time I tend to avoid the news lately because it makes me anxious...

To all my teacher friends on here, have your schools/teachers been talking about wearing scrubs? I didn’t realize this was a topic of conversation amongst our teacher union and admin until yesterday’s faculty meeting when they said we were approved to wear scrubs and sneakers if we choose. So we don’t have to, but it’s an option. I’m just worried about the kids and what that will look to them. I don’t want to pretend to be a health professional either. So a few of us in primary grades were thinking scrub pants with tshirts. My sister is a pediatrician and I asked her thoughts. She said scrubs are usually moisture resistant and some brands are antimicrobial. But basically it would be best to be covers and wear stuff that is easy to wash (no dry cleaning). But I’m just curious what other areas are doing. I hadn’t heard about teachers wearing scrubs...but at the same time I tend to avoid the news lately because it makes me anxious...
Oh, my! There hasn’t been that discussion in my district (I talk frequently with my friends still teaching). I would be inclined to wear clothes easy to wash and change as soon as I get home. And bring extras to keep at work-in case they throw up? My elementary friends always had stories about their little ones unexpectedly throwing up. Here’s mine:
One day in the library a girl casually pulled over a trash can and threw up. “Oh, honey, let’s get you to the nurse! It’s ok, Mrs. sjrec, I’m not sick, it’s just detox.” I still took her to the nurse-with my trash can! :crazy2:

It’s never too late, we’re happy to have you join in! Welcome!

The only thing I saw close to that was on FaceBook. It was a teacher wearing a surgical gown over her clothes, a face shield, and mask. I plan on wearing a face shield and mask at the very least. I'm not planning on wearing anything nice that I would need to wash in gentle or dry clean. I will be wearing much more casual clothing that I can wash and dry easily. My only issue is that I'm tall with very long legs, so I can't dry any of my pants or they will shrink and become high waters.

I've already decided to skip wearing make-up. Normally, I wear a full face of make-up and spend time on my hair style. My hair is officially two-toned since I have not had highlights since March, and have no plans on getting them until there's a vaccine. This year, no make-up, and a tight bun.

Oh, my! There hasn’t been that discussion in my district (I talk frequently with my friends still teaching). I would be inclined to wear clothes easy to wash and change as soon as I get home. And bring extras to keep at work-in case they throw up? My elementary friends always had stories about their little ones unexpectedly throwing up. Here’s mine:
One day in the library a girl casually pulled over a trash can and threw up. “Oh, honey, let’s get you to the nurse! It’s ok, Mrs. sjrec, I’m not sick, it’s just detox.” I still took her to the nurse-with my trash can! :crazy2:
One of my paras bent over in front of a student, and the student vomited on her head! She was totally nonchalant about it. She walked over to the sink, stuck her head under it, grabbed paper towels, wiped off her head and face, and said, "There's always something to take the joy out of living!"

I don't know what was funnier, the child vomiting on her head or her reaction.

Welcome Shanny McB.

With regard to school, luckily we are doing distance learning for at least the 1st trimester and unless they make the safety protocols for K-2 the same as the higher grades (or there is a vaccine), at 71, I will have to stay on distance learning all year. Ugh! No one else has talked about scrubs for when the time comes to return to in-person, though. Our new distance learning plan has a lot of videotaped lessons so we can focus on small group but I hate having the teaching taken out of my hands (and I hate our Math program, so I will do my own Math teaching anyway). I am glad we get a lot more air time with our students than just the 15 minutes we had last year (I made mini-lesson videos for the 3 R's every day last year so I could keep teaching, not just send my students to this web site or that, kept my Meet open all day for questions etc., and had before school recess for my students every day where they could just be kids).

Took the quiz and I guess I am the world's oldest princess.

Another fun distance BBQ and baseball game projected on the outside of my house scheduled today. Looking forward to seeing the family even though we don't get close. This is always the highlight of my week.

Welcome!

I'm a villainous princess? Or a princessy villain? I came out about even, so I guess I get to be both!

A deep cleanse re-organization is in process in the kitchen... and in everything I touch gets asked the magic questions: "Why do I own you?", "Why are you in the kitchen?", 'Why are you on the counter?". I have two feet of counter space to work with and it is always covered with stuff, so I've had to get brutal. A knife block that I won in a contest like 30 years ago, that I only use one knife out of, is going to GW. My dishes are cheap ironstone from Cost Plus that are chipping, and I only use the full sized plates if I'm hosting Thanksgiving, so they are going. All my mismatched glasses are going. It finally feels like I'm opening up space.

And having all of my two feet of prep space available to use should help me be more engaged in cooking. maybe I'll even try cooking something new next week!

Smile, It’s Self-Care Sunday!
(I’m posting the night before because we’ll be driving in the morning)
What are you doing to refuel your body for this week?

I’m getting away for the week. So excited to get out of the house and to the beach! I will be able to see the ocean from the bed each morning when I wake! I can’t wait to just out there and read. Or go for a morning walk while everyone else is still sleeping. Spend some time as a family without thinking about kitchen renovations or school (hopefully)!

I thought this was too cute and had to share! I’m thinking it might be a good morning checkin with students. Maybe even for myself.

So today I started the day feeling like a 2...thinking about scrubs and how to teach kdg during a pandemic and how to even set up my new classroom (normally an exciting process, but not this year). But ended the day more of an 8-9 because the car is packed except for the cooler which we’ll get in the morning. A week at the beach is just what I need. Then home to hopefully a finished new kitchen (except for the backsplash probably).

Probably an 8. Beautiful sunny day. Got something delivered I forgot I had ordered!
Tomorrow I will marinate a couple lbs of chicken thighs for the grill and cut up vegetables for rice bowls. A friend said they use the Bolthouse Avocado Cilantro dressing on their chicken/rice and veg bowls, so I will try it. Then plan out meals for the rest of the week.
But I plan to spend some time on the deck with a good book. Looks like another nice day!

What are you doing to refuel your body for this week?

Right now I’m out in the yard with cat, getting some morning sunshine, and later I plan to exercise - both of which energize my body. I also plan to print a few more pictures later for scrapbooking, which feeds my creative soul.

PS - love the chart! I think I’ll print a copy and hang it up.

I think I'm starting the day as a 7. Got to sleep in (for the third day in a row), until my body was ready to get up... which was 7am, but not because I had too, just cuz I was ready. The skies are clear this morning (yesterday started with some surprise rain) and the kitchen still looks sparkly and organized. Today is tackle the bathroom day, and I've already packed up somethings in the bedroom for donation. And I also want to do some rearranging here in the "office"... and dig in to the closet which is chock-o-block full. Urggg.

My kitty has been a real poop head in the evenings for the past several days. We're at least three weeks away from bringing home a companion, so I need to figure out some other sort of enrichment/stimulation. How she plays is so funny, when I get her string toy out she'll run to the scratching post, then she runs into her tunnel and I have to dangle the toy at the opening.

Yesterday I got my monthly Nordstrom bill and for the first time ever the balance due is $0.00. I so want to keep it that way. I've been making large payments for the past 6 months to get to this point, and I want to reap the benefits of being able to leave that money in the bank. I didn't save my 20% towards the house last month, because I paid off that balance, but now I'll be able to get back on track and then some. It should really make a difference.

So my Sunday drive I'll probably do my country loop, but maybe stop at one of the parks along the way to get a short walk in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter