"BACK" from OKW - photos added on page 5

Doc, great reports! Do you have to preregister for the wine seminars in the WolL pavillion?

Doc, great reports! Do you have to preregister for the wine seminars in the WolL pavillion?

No, all of these seminars are free and first-come-first-served. There are 2 venues within WoL - The Estate and The Vineyard. Each area seats about 100 and we've found it best to get there at least 30 minutes prior to the start to get a seat. The ones we're attended this year have offered 4 different samples for the tasting. The host has done a great job of explaining the growing area and conditions and then explains the wine itself. Some have been very affordable ($9-10/bottle) and some have been great wines but a little pricey ($100-$500/bottle).

There is a wine shop at WoL where many of the wines may be purchased.

Also at WoL is a large DVC area , with typical kiosk information but with a huge AKV display. There is also a DVC movie - complete with DVC trivia questions - that runs continuously in the space in the center of WoL. That area was formerly home to "The Making of Me". While we didn't take time to watch the entire movie, we could see a portion of it while in the queue for a seminar.

BTW- Sam Adams now has a 52 proof beer (26%). It's called Utopia and it is also for sale in the wine shop (when they can keep it in stock). It is not your typical beer - most describe it as a Port or Sherry. Don't plan on finding it in a 6-pack though - as it comes on a 24 oz bottle with a tag of $150-190 in a special "collector's bottle. It is from a limited production of 12,000 bottles and each bottle is numbered. (I have not yet tried any - and it is NOT offered at the Sam Adams seminars.)

Wow, Doc, that sounds like one special beer! DW and I are wine and beer people so we wil definitely check out the presentations at WoL. Do we have a schedule of these posted here on the Dis?

DAY 4 ---

We had another great day. Temps are in the mid 80s with low humidity.

We started with another walk to DD and back - just over 2 miles - followed by a quick breakfast in the villa and then off to MK. It was very crowded at MK this morning with LOTS of school aged kids.

We went to HM and were very pleasantly surprised with the quality of the upgraded attraction. There are a lot of new additions to the ride - both visual and auditory - and the total effect was great. We limited our other rides to TTC and CoP and then grabbed a bite at Columbia Harbour House before taking the monorail to Epcot.

We were interested in the 2:00pm wine seminar "Sparkling Wines - Not Just for Celebration" offered by Gary Lee, manager of the CA Grille. This was a great presentation and they did have to turn people away about 15 minutes before they started seating as all 100 seats were taken already.

We sampled 3 sparkling wines and all were wonderful. We enjoyed a dry Domaine Carneros, and Gruet Blanc de Noirs and a Piper Heidsieck Sonoma Brut. Gary's presentation was most informative and thorough.

Since we had arrived way early for the sparkling seminar, we were able to get the lat 2 seats for the presentation just prior which was from an OK winery - Chapel Creek Winery. The presenter is a college vinicology professor who gave a very complete, informative presentation. He is speaking again tomorrow with wines from his personal winery, Sand Hill Vineyards.

After enjoying the wine semimars (again, these are complimentary tastings/seminars located in the WoL pavillion) we walked around World Showcase and sat in on a performance by the Voices of Liberty at the American Adventure, as always they did a fun show. We then enjoyed the new exhibit at AA before heading back for another Sam Adams "seminar". In addition to a sampling of 4 different Sam Adams beers, each participant also gets a free beer opener.

After the seminar we got an order of crab cakes at the Hops and Barley Market and washed that down with a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Black Lager.

The complimentary wine seminars are offered each day starting at 11:00am. there are two locations, both inside WoL, and the tastings are staggered by about 30 minutes. Most days the seminars are at 11:00am, 12:30, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 3:30, 5:00 and 5:30. Some days there are also a couple of evening programs. Each one is different, although some wineries may present the same program on different days. The wineries and wines vary each day - with presentations from a wide variety of countries, vineyards and wineries. Each one typically lasts 30 - 45 minutes.

Tomorrow we're planning on a quieter day, probably just heading over to DD for some (more) shopping, lunch at Fulton's (taking advantage of the 30% DVC discount) and maybe spending the evening in a park.

We had a voicemail on our room phone this afternoon from DVC - inviting us to a program tomorrow morning (or Thurs am) at OKW COmmunity Hall about extending our membership (if already OKW owners) or taking advantage of a special purchase at the "original" DVC resort. I may take in the program if I'm up in time and back from a walk - just to see what comments are made about the OKW extension.

Doc, DVC just emailed me a pre-arrival perks notice and I saw that Fulton's was only 20% for lunch. Hope they were wrong because we were going to go for lunch next week when we are at OKW.

Doc, DVC just emailed me a pre-arrival perks notice and I saw that Fulton's was only 20% for lunch. Hope they were wrong because we were going to go for lunch next week when we are at OKW.

Thanks, Jim. I just checked our Portable Perks and your email was correct - for October, 2007 thru January, 2008 - the Fulton's discount is 20% for lunch. It's still a good deal especially since the DDE is not accpeted at Fulton's. The 30% discount ended on September 30. :(

Thanks for pointing that out.

Well, we decided to forego our morning walk to DD and take in the OKW Extension presentation held at Community Hall.

I posted a full report on the Operations Board, but will offer a recap here.

As we already know, current OKW owners have until February 29, 2008 to take advantage of the $15 per point net cost to accept the extension. Financing is available - a 50 point extension at $15 per point would cost $9.20 per month for a 10 year loan at 10.75% APR.

I asked what will happen to those members who fail to make a decision and was told that DVC is working very hard to contact all OKW owners. Those who do not accept or decline by December 31, 2008 will have a lien placed on their account - limiting their ability to use their membership until they accept or decline the extension. On March 1, 2008, the cost of the extension will be $25 per point.

For current members who wish to add-on at SSR or AKV, the $10/$8 incenitve applies for purchases of 100 or more points ... and for those buying 110 or more points there is a bonus of 100 Developer Points to be used within a year - with 160 Developer points for purchases of 160 - 199 and 270 Developer Points for purchases of 200 or more points. New purchases of 225 points will also have access to tiered Developer Points depending on the number of points above 225.

At this time, no decision has been made about offering extensions for the other 2042 resorts - but don't rule that out. The tone used in the presentation suggested , to me at least, that extensions will be available for the other resorts as time goes on. They did mention the GCV and the "proposed" resort at Ko Olina and, of course, were asked about CRV - but quickly denied any knowledge of what was happening at that location, simply stating that it was "a development of the NW wing of the CR".

The sales manager present stated that they currently have 70,000 OKW points available. He added that OKW sales are "steady" but not like sales at SSR/AKV. He mentioned that they are currently averaging sales of 50,000 points per day.

This presentation was NOT like the old "Member Updates" offered for years at OKW - today was primarily a sales presentation and the guides present were prepared to have interested members sign the paperwork immediately for the extension. Those who wish to decline still need to wait for the documents to be mailed to their home address.

There were about 20 at the meeting - mostly OKW owners. I don't think there were any non-members present, but a voice-mail invitation had been offered to everyone staying at OKW. The meeting was over by about 8:30.

I'm surprised that that many people went to a meeting that ended at 8:30 AM while they were on vacation! You are early birds! Thanks for telling us what's going on. We don't own at OKW and probably wouldn't extend any of our contracts at the other resorts, but I like to know what's what.
Bobbi:goodvibes

Thanks for the update on the meeting, Doc. I was hoping they would let us sign the "decline" there as well. I may have to call our guide and get that in the works now.

Thanks for the update Doc! Still planning on declining the OKW offer here..

Day 5 - We had a fairly quiet day after the OKW Extension Presentation this morning.

We took a boat to DD this afternoon and did some (way too much) shopping - mostly at Days of Christmas, but also at World of Disney. We went to Fulton's about 2:15 and had a nice lunch. DW had the salmon and i had gthe chef's special which was Wahoo and shrimp. We each had a bowl of the Crab/Lobster Bisque. When we went to pay, I handed our server our DVC card and he said there was still a 30% discount. We were expecting the 20% discount noted in the portable perks, but their computer ran it thru as 30%.

We enjoyed another boat ride coming back and are having a quiet evening after another walk.

Tomorrow we have some more wine seminars planned, a Wine Pairing at Coral Reef and will take in the Little Richard concert tomorrow evening.

Weather was more humid today with temps around 87 with a similar forecast for the next few days with an increased probability for afternoon showers.

Thanks for the report Doc. Those relaxing days are great. Can't wait for some of those wine seminars!

Hey Doc...

Maybe we will see you at the Little Richard concert. We got here yesterday and are over at the Boardwalk.

Kristine

Day 5 - We had a fairly quiet day after the OKW Extension Presentation this morning.

We took a boat to DD this afternoon and did some (way too much) shopping - mostly at Days of Christmas, but also at World of Disney. We went to Fulton's about 2:15 and had a nice lunch. DW had the salmon and i had gthe chef's special which was Wahoo and shrimp. We each had a bowl of the Crab/Lobster Bisque. When we went to pay, I handed our server our DVC card and he said there was still a 30% discount. We were expecting the 20% discount noted in the portable perks, but their computer ran it thru as 30%.

We enjoyed another boat ride coming back and are having a quiet evening after another walk.

Tomorrow we have some more wine seminars planned, a Wine Pairing at Coral Reef and will take in the Little Richard concert tomorrow evening.

Weather was more humid today with temps around 87 with a similar forecast for the next few days with an increased probability for afternoon showers.

Loooove Fulton's!! What good luck to still have the 30%, that really is a fabulous discount!

Happy you are enjoying your trip, but drooling here as I am overdue for my Disney fix, lol! Have fun...

Thanks for the updates, Doc. We are all envious of you:guilty:

Have a great time, and keep us informed!!!

Day 6 - We had a good afternoon today. Our wine pairing at Coral Reef was at 3:00pm - so we arrived about 1:15 and had time to ride Soarin' (standby line was 45 minutes) and then rode Nemo before heading in for the pairing. These pairings are a great deal and reasonably priced compared to most of the other F&W reservation offerings. Cost is $45 per person. Last year we tried one at Le Cellier and this year enjoyed two at Coral Reef.

Today's was hosted by Francis Ford Coppola Winery (Napa and Sonoma). Raul, one the Coral Reef Chefs handled the menu for each wine.

We had a delicious Zucchini and Pear Soup topped with crabmeat - paired with the Coppola Director's Cut Chardonnay. Both were wonderful - individually and together.

Our next course was the Coppola Diamond Pinot Noir - paired with a Salmon Roll (cooked salmon served within the skin) and a wild mushroom risotto. Again, the pairing worked well together even though many never think of red wine with fish. This combination worked well as the pinot was very mild with great cranberry overtones.

Our final course was a Coppola Diamond Merlot paired with pork tenderloin with a fresh herb potato cake. The potato had rosemary, thyme anc coriander combined with the potato. Everything was delicious.

For those interested in next year's pairings you'll need to call right when the Festival Office opens and try to schedule these popular events. We tried for a Le Cellier pairing again this year and were shut out by 7:05am. The reservation phone opened on August 6.

Following the lunch pairing, we headed over to the Festival Center and were the last ones seated for the Chateau St. Michelle Winery (Columbia Valley, WA) where we sampled 4 different Merlot wines. The first was a wonderful "basic" 2004 Merlot, followed by the 2003 Indian Wells District Merlot. Next we sampled one of their upper tier wines - the 2004 Ethos Merlot (wonderful) and last a 1997 Cold Creek Merlot. The latter is no longer available for sale and is used for educational purposes.

FYI - today there was also a tasting offered by the Highland Distillery (Orkney Islands, Scotland) and samples of Scotch Whiskey were offered. Later in the F&W there is also a Sam Adams dinner pairing (we will be back home by then) which will feature a presentation by Jim Koch, founder/owner of the Boston Beer Company - better known as Sam Adams Beer.

We made a stop at the wine shop for some essentials and headed back to our villa for the evening. We plan to head back to Epcot in the morning to take in a few more seminars. We did miss the Little Richard program tonite, but will try to catch him tomorrow evening.

Hey Doc

We saw Little Richard last night. He can still rock n roll with the best of them. Our DD loves 50s music so we had to make sure to see him.

Have a great trip!

He mentioned that they are currently averaging sales of 50,000 points per day.

So about 18,000,000 points a year (if its a 7 day ave) at over $150,000,000. That would be about 2000 additional rooms at a 25 point average.

70,000 at OKW doesn't seem like that many if they are selling 50,000 a day I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter