Bama Ed's Retirement Camping Thread For Spring 2021

And hey, Steve, pano-RAHMA in the comfort station.
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Barn wood planking in the comfort station........did someone mention resort fees? 💰💰

I do have a question Ed. Looking at the tree trimming pics. The limb that met its demise did not look that bad that I could see with the exception of the small hollow area at the base of the limb next to the main trunk. Was it worse than what I could see or did they just feel better removing it from over the comfort station?

If you visit Charleston SC, Angel Oak on Johns Island is well worth the time.
Angel Oak Tree - Free must-see park near Charleston

Steve

The tree trimming remote arm extends like a cement pumper truck arm with a multi-function tip. They used a claw-with-a-saw on the end at the beginning and later a hook for straps. What was neat was the operator of the arm had a remote control panel "bag" slung over his shoulder that was battery-powered and wireless. So he could walk around and be in charge.

The claw/saw end attachment was used first to start taking off sections of the end then setting them on the ground across the road from @Teamubr's old site #2.

Other tree trimming members got their files out to sharpen their chains on their saws for the end operations.

Piece by piece they removed chunks of the limb until they got close to the trunk. Then it was time to send a man up into the tree to finish the job.

At the beginning the remote grappling claw would grab a section of the limb and a remote activated saw would extent down and cut it off. But at the end they used the claw but had a man use a hand-operated chain saw (must have been a 4-ft blade) to cut the pieces off.

All the other workers climbed a tree to watch (they're just big little boys after all).

Hold on!

What was interesting to me was the communication between members of the team. Once the man went into the tree, he was the one in charge and his teammates gave him any equipment he wanted and let him choose how to finish the job.

Let's move onto the next post.

Bama Ed

Having been trained and doing tree felling on a regular basis, yes the Sawyer is in charge. He gets what he wants, and his decisions are final.

:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 Barn wood planking in the comfort station........did someone mention resort fees? 💰💰

I do have a question Ed. Looking at the tree trimming pics. The limb that met its demise did not look that bad that I could see with the exception of the small hollow area at the base of the limb next to the main trunk. Was it worse than what I could see or did they just feel better removing it from over the comfort station?

If you visit Charleston SC, Angel Oak on Johns Island is well worth the time.
Angel Oak Tree - Free must-see park near Charleston

Steve

My bet is they just removed the tree from over the comfort station to prevent future damage due to hurricanes/high wind events. They have spent a significant amount of money, to have to redo the roof because of a limb. From a park perspective, easy choice.
Based on my experience in PA state parks, we would have done the same.

My bet is they just removed the tree from over the comfort station to prevent future damage due to hurricanes/high wind events. They have spent a significant amount of money, to have to redo the roof because of a limb. From a park perspective, easy choice.
Based on my experience in PA state parks, we would have done the same.
That would be it. That particular limb reached completely over the entire station. It gave it nice shade, but those are air conditioned so this was not of benefit. The much larger live oak across from it will still maintain a good bit of shading.

I found this in an archived pricing PDF.

Included in the rates is a 13% lodging tax and 15.25% Resort Fee. A one-time $4.75 transaction fee is taken at the time the reservation is made. . “The resort fee will cover the cost to maintain almost 6,000 acres of Gulf State Park including well-manicured greenspaces, common areas and trails; 3.5 miles of clean, safe and pristine sugar-sand beaches; dedicated public safety and security; play areas and playgrounds; three fresh-water lakes, our nature center and its programs, and FREE sight-seeing access to the pier as well as a $3 discount off pier fishing.”

I found this in an archived pricing PDF.

Included in the rates is a 13% lodging tax and 15.25% Resort Fee. A one-time $4.75 transaction fee is taken at the time the reservation is made. . “The resort fee will cover the cost to maintain almost 6,000 acres of Gulf State Park including well-manicured greenspaces, common areas and trails; 3.5 miles of clean, safe and pristine sugar-sand beaches; dedicated public safety and security; play areas and playgrounds; three fresh-water lakes, our nature center and its programs, and FREE sight-seeing access to the pier as well as a $3 discount off pier fishing.”

James, this seems to me like a bit of a shell game.

In my state there are six "resort" state parks which are self-supporting that generate most of the revenue that gets pooled and shared with the remaining 15-or-so state parks with can't support themselves with their camping revenue. Gulf is one of those resort parks and probably the lead horse of that group.

"Resort Fees" likely stay with the resort and don't go into the pooled amounts to be shared among the other parks. That way money generated at this resort that is needed for operations at this resort stays at this resort. And the rest of this is the town/county/state taking their bite out of the tourist dollar ("Lodging Tax").

Thanks for the find.

Ed

Lazy last day here in Gulf Shores. Not many pics.

Went to breakfast at a new-to-us place in GS called The Ugly Diner. It's just outside the State Park entrance by Wal-Mart but turn right toward the canal and it's in a middle of a little strip mall on the right up past the red light. I got an omelette and DW got bacon and eggs over easy. Menu written on the chalk board the size of the wall. Good food, nice place. Serves breakfast and lunch.

Did a little bit of packing up and loading the car for our getaway tomorrow. And the rain did come briefly but heavily this afternoon. And there was another nap thrown in too (I like naps). BTW this was the warmest day of our stay, cloudy for the most part so had to turn on the AC for the first time this trip.

Today's highlight was that @Bishoparc and DW came over to camp the weekend at Gulf SP so of course we went over to visit and go to dinner. Tried to go to Desoto's on a Friday night but at 630pm was told it was a 2-hr wait. :sad2: Back in the car and Arc notices that Sunliner Diner parking lot is pretty empty. So we wheeled in, parked, and got a table right away. I sure didn't mind eating there twice this week. :teeth: And it was great conversation across the table as well.

I got the Reuben:

And DW got the BLT:

Oh and there was some candied bacon for an appetizer as well.

Time to check on the NFL draft. Thanks for following along on this installment of the trip report. There will be a pause of only a few weeks before we take off again.

Bama Ed

Here is our recent receipt from a TN State Park with full hook-up.

Indian Mountain State Park
Description​
Qty​
Rate​
Total​
Campsite 34 Arrival: Sunday, April 25, 2021
Depart: Friday, April 30, 2021​
Campsite 34 / Sunday 4/25/21​
$34.00​
Campsite 34 / Monday 4/26/21​
$34.00​
Campsite 34 / Tuesday 4/27/21​
$34.00​
Campsite 34 / Wednesday 4/28/21​
$34.00​
Campsite 34 / Thursday 4/29/21​
$34.00​
In-Season Senior Discount (2021) - CAMPING 25.00%
($42.50)​
State & Local Taxes
$11.80​
Reservation Fee​
1​
$5.00​
$5.00​
From everyone at Tennessee State Parks, thank you for visiting us at Indian Mountain State Park.
Total:
$144.30
Payment:
($144.30)

To make it clear that is Frank's senior discount. :)

Here is our recent receipt from a TN State Park with full hook-up.

Indian Mountain State Park

Description​
Qty​
Rate​
Total​
Campsite 34 Arrival: Sunday, April 25, 2021
Depart: Friday, April 30, 2021​
Campsite 34 / Sunday 4/25/21​
$34.00​
Campsite 34 / Monday 4/26/21​
$34.00​
Campsite 34 / Tuesday 4/27/21​
$34.00​
Campsite 34 / Wednesday 4/28/21​
$34.00​
Campsite 34 / Thursday 4/29/21​
$34.00​
In-Season Senior Discount (2021) - CAMPING 25.00%
($42.50)​
State & Local Taxes
$11.80​
Reservation Fee​
1​
$5.00​
$5.00​
From everyone at Tennessee State Parks, thank you for visiting us at Indian Mountain State Park.
Total:
$144.30
Payment:
($144.30)

To make it clear that is Frank's senior discount. :)

Now that looks like a straight-forward receipt, Denise.

Here are this morning's sunrise pix. I had trouble posting them from my phone before we left at 7am so I'll do so now that we are home. It was a beautiful last morning.

The car is fully unloaded and the trailer tucked away. I've cleaned up and it feels good to be home.

It was a great trip.

Bama Ed

Update on the camper fridge problem I experienced in Gulf Shores (mentions in post #99 and #115):

Last week mid-week I took it to my local repair place to trouble shoot and order part. Today I picked it up to get it ready to go to the Mid-West DISMeet and asked about the status.

Yep, eyebrow controller (the front panel with "on, off, gas, electric" etc.) is bad.

Yep, that eyebrow controller part has been replaced by a new eyebrow controller.

Yep, the the new eyebrow controller has to have its partner new circuit board on the back of the fridge to talk to.

So yep, I need to replace something in the front and the back.

And yep, supply chain and worker issues means there are NONE of those parts available in stock ANYWHERE even from Dometic. And no estimate for when one will become available. Whatcha gonna do? :confused3

Guess I'm going to have to invest in a plug in 12V electric cooler with a 120v AC adaptor in the mean time.

Will link in the Mid-West DISMeet thread to this one and do updates in it mostly. Leaving tomorrow morning.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
And yep, supply chain and worker issues means there are NONE of those parts available in stock ANYWHERE even from Dometic. And no estimate for when one will become available. Whatcha gonna do? :confused3

Frustrating. Glad you can get around it, but when the rig is off, it's just a little bit of storm clouds on the vacation.

Ed, I can bring my spare mini fridge that I keep in my shed for bottled water on our Smoky Mountains trip if it'll help. It isn't anything serious for us, that fridge is an extra left over from my neurology clinic. When I went back to neurology they provided me with one so I didnt have to use this one.

It has a script "A" on door already.

"On the road" post to the MidWest DISMeet

Ed, I can bring my spare mini fridge that I keep in my shed for bottled water on our Smoky Mountains trip if it'll help. It isn't anything serious for us, that fridge is an extra left over from my neurology clinic. When I went back to neurology they provided me with one so I didnt have to use this one.

It has a script "A" on door already.

Thanks for the offer tiggerdad but it's not necessary. I might bust a kidney lifting it up and down out of the back of the Yukon. I had an old electric Coleman cooler for over a decade before it wore out. I could plug the 12v into the back socket then use it as the outside-the-camper cooler on 120AC when the trailer was set up even in all weather. Gonna go that route before PF.

Bama Ed

Ed, again you hit a home run on your GS trip! Keep the good times rolling for us to enjoy with your adventures. Stay safe!
PS: so sorry about your frig. Tell Mrs. Ed hello

For the record, I'm going to link in my posts in the 2021 Midwest DISMeet thread being held May 14-16, 2021 at Starved Rock SP in Illinois. I count this as a camping trip for spring 2021 of course. :teeth:

Post #49, 55, 56, 57, 58, and 60 https://www.disboards.com/threads/2...6-2020-starved-rock-state-park.3819867/page-3 on the road headed up to the Mid-West DISMeet and the arrival day/night.

Post #64, 67, 70, 72, 74, 77 and 79 https://www.disboards.com/threads/2...6-2020-starved-rock-state-park.3819867/page-4 the rest of the trip.

I'm home from the Mid-West DISMeet and after doing so I have to come forward to say that I have lost a close friend.

And it's my fault.

You see, I took my work gloves (as I always do) that I've had for over 30 years that were like a second skin on my hands and I apparently lost one glove along the way home. Here is the one that made it back:

You folks know what a trusty, reliable, comfortable pair of work gloves that you've used for decades feels like. They fit, they're smooth, they're trustworthy, and they're likely good for another 30 years. Whether it was in the garden, in the shop, under the hood, in all kinds of weather, a worn-in pair of work gloves are invaluable.

I blame myself of course. Next to my old moccasin slippers, my work gloves were the most comfortable piece of clothing I owned (not even my suits or Mickey/Bama t-shirt came close). Guess I'm getting careless in my old age

This means going to the hardware store and picking out another pair to hopefully start a long-term relationship with. I'm going to keep this old survivor glove for old time's sake. But there is a trip to Pigeon Forge coming up and I need to be ready.

Bama Ed

PS - thanks for hearing me out. I feel better now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter