Bama Ed's Retirement Camping Thread For Spring 2021

Paste the link in the chain/link symbol, Spence ....

https://www.amazon.com/5015L-5-Regu...ywords=work+gloves+bulk&qid=1621455994&sr=8-4

91S%2BnjVW60L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And THANK YOU!

Ed

My "temporary" fridge arrived via UPS and hopefully it will be adequate to get me through the next month of camping.

It's an Igloo electric cooler model. Two decades ago I had a Coleman electric and it was fine. This time I went with what was immediately available for shipping. It cools (supposedly) 36-40F below outside air temp without wet melting water ice or expensive, hard-to-find dry ice.

So I'll work with what I got (and make it work).

Ed

We have arrived and set up at Douglas Dam (Headwater) Campground. It is a TVA lake/campground.

As I said this will be a 2-night layover for us before heading over to the DISMeet in the Smokies. Note in the picture that the front of camper is cranked down pretty low to get it close to level. This row of campsites is cut into a bank and only about the back 10-15' is relatively flat. But we is fine.

We had about 3 hours of hard rain too on the way up. It started in the corner of GA on I59 and at the 59/24 merge all lanes on both interstate came to a halt and we sat in the rain for 55 minutes. And sat. And sat. Come to find out the first exit in GA there was where the problem was. Traffic only ran 30-40mph in the rain thru Chattanooga and up Missionary Ridge.

Gonna relax and unwind a little.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
That big tree stump right in the middle of the drive looks interesting. Huge site though.

See you on Saturday.

j

Last edited:
Lazy day here at Douglas Dam. Made some scrambled eggs and toast for me and DW this morn after we had slept in. Took a walk around the place (boat launch, swimmer's beach, picnic area) then about 11am we rode over to the little town of Dandridge to hit the local Dollar General (a favorite of DW's) and the Food City grocery store.

At the grocery we bought burgers, dogs, steak, chicken, and pork chops (all boneless) and used a bag of charcoal to cook it all up. This is a Fort Wilderness technique I've adopted which is on check-in day, heat up the charcoal and cook several meals worth of meats. Not talking ribs or a whole pig - just stuff that can be reheated (nuked) and put with some sides for a quick delicious meal.

Steaks burgers and dogs on the grill:

Chicken and "poke" chops in the bags cooling off to go into the electric cooler:

Listening to the Bama - NC State baseball game in the NCAA Regional Baseball Tournament. Not going well for the Tide about midway through. LIstened to the Bama softball team last night in the College World Series crush their opponent. Baseball hasn't been to Regionals for several years so just to get back is a rebuilding step. Fall practice is only 4 months away, Jets70, for baseball and us retired folks can go watch.

Sunny beautiful day here (hot) with high clouds). I am staying hydrated in the shade. :drinking1

After standing over that hot grill in the hot sun, I need to replace my electrolytes. :beach: Gonna stay here till the noon check-out time tomorrow then make the 30 minute run over to Party Central in Pigeon Forge. :banana:

Ed

PS - we had the steak, some mashed spuds, and a side salad with ranch dressing for a late lunch today. <chef's kiss> delicious. Might just snack for dinner time.

Last edited:
Nightly update from Douglas Dam.

Showing a few purchases from Dollar General today:

DW and I took a walk over the hill about 630pm tonight to the other side of the campground near the dam and boat ramp and folks were rolling in for some sort of fishing tournament.

I'm sure plenty of lies will be told about tonight later on.

We were fortunate to see all the boats in the water (many more not in this picture):

get the GO signal and take off for their super secret fishing spot leaving big wakes behind them:

Several campers left this morning but they were all replaced. It's the weekend, ya know. :rolleyes:

See everyone at the DISMeet tomorrow (those that will be at PM).

Ed

Our arrival to Pine Mountain RV Park was uneventful. We left around 930am and hit the Sevierville WalMart and outlet shopping center (has an honest-to-John Disney Outlet Store) and I bought a book at the book store. During a lunch stop at BK, tiggerdad sent word out site was open and it wasn't 10 minutes from where we were. It's not a very long campsite but it works.

During set-up there were chances to talk and catch up with PaHunter, tiggerdad, Teamubr, BishopArc, FtwMike, Jets70, SouthAlabama5er, garneska, and their various guests. We got things mostly stowed for now.

We heated up the pork chops and had mac/cheese and green beans with them. Afterwards it was time for CAKE at tiggerdad's site for his DD's birthday (always up for cake). But while waiting, some of the boys were in the creek:

so I took my chair and joined them as shown above. In a few minutes we sang and had cake and then visited and talked.

It gets dark here about 9pm but time to check out what the site looks like at night.

(the mickey heads rotate around on christmas type projection lights.

Waiting for himandher to arrive tonight and fill the empty site next to us.

Bama Ed

Sunday's update for us is that we went to church this morning here (always a fun experience in a different town) then came back to eat lunch before our pre-selected Titanic Museum time. We had bought tickets in advance on-line and were looking forward to it. Pictures are generally not allowed inside except in two rooms (which have Cast Members in them to gently enforce the rule).

The Titanic Museum is on the main Parkway in PF right next to the Hatfield & McCoys Dinner Theater.

Waiting in the queue you receive a "Boarding Pass" with the name of an actual Titanic passenger. During the walk-through some passengers (1st Class, 2nd Class, 3rd Class) are mentioned by name with an artifact, photo, or reference.

My guy, however, never came up until the end (that I saw) and he was listed among those who did not survive.

One room photos are permitted in is a big Lego replica of the Titanic.

The second room (first on the tour before the Legos) however was the room about the ship's 8 piece band members who are famous for continuing to play out on the deck as the ship was going down for as long as they could. The band leader was Wallace Hartley and he played the violin.

The owner of the museum made a dive down to the Titanic wreck and recovered artifacts for the museum. At first I was unsure about this but the museum takes a very serious and well-designed approach to telling the ship's story. With regards to the band and Mr. Hartley, they recovered his violin as well:

And the leather backpack case he carried his violin in:

With the long leather straps he would carry/wear it like a backpack which left his hands free to carry luggage, etc.

Honestly I was surprised at how well the museum is presented. It's not something you can find in another tourist town on the beach or in the mountains. Nor the Smithsonian Museums for that matter. So if you get the chance on Smokey Mountain vacation, make time to spend 90 minutes (as we did) doing this attraction. I won't give away too many details but it was well done.

Traffic on the Parkway into Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg was flowing this afternoon. The morning clouds and afternoon rain gave way to sunshine and some humidity this afternoon.

Everyone has arrived now. Himandher got in last night next to us, tigger92662 is across the road now, tripleb has posted, and 2goofycampers/born2fish got in and walked over to meet folks and discuss the day's activities. The interesting part is the group of us standing in the street talking. New members join in when they find us, present members beg off eventually, and this thing could keep going.

That's the cool part of a DISMeet. But we'll have to break off for dinner soon and then likely reconvene somewhere. Then we can hear about the day's events of those who aren't here at the moment but off having fun (BeintaN, tiggerdad, Southalabama5er to drop a few names :rolleyes1).

Bama Ed

We got up this morning and I got over to Teamubr's site just before he left to drive the dragon and get my morning puzzle time in. tiggerdad was also there early. I had worked on it with Jim/Teamubr to get it started yesterday and we got pieces sorted into some basic color categories and got the edge/outline put together. Then I went back to make breakfast and others arrived to continue the puzzle work.

But it got tipped over somewhat in storage sometime before this morning so a lot of it came apart. So we started again to rebuild it. Here is the 750-piece puzzle poster that we are working on:

Here is the progress when I left this morning to go back to breakfast.

If anybody took a more recent picture of today's progress, please post it. DJ (Dear Jen) brought out her famous (at least to Ed) banana chocolate chip bread (chilled) and I limited myself to two pieces because I still had to go do breakfast. Her bread and a diet Coke have become my morning puzzle routine at DISMeets so THANK YOU to DJ.

After breakfast we headed for Gatlinburg. DW had never been and for me it had been nearly 40 years. The 3-lane parkway southbound goes down to 2-lanes at the Pigeon Forge city limits to Great Smokey Mtn Natl Park (GSMNP) for about 5 miles before it continues into Gatlinburg. So the 3 SB lanes of busy traffic merged to two than had to merge into one:

As it turned out, they were mowing the grass on the shoulder of the 2-lane parkway in GSMNP. It took forever to get through it. Then we got into Gatlinburg and it is more built up than I ever remembered. Shops and restaurants and attractions on both sides of the main drag.

After we turned around and headed back towards the camper, it was 2/3 lanes wide open all the way back. We stopped at the grocery store, came back and had lunch, did some laundry, and chatted during the rain with tiggerdad and SouthAlabama5er. Now the sun has come out this afternoon (still humid from the dried rain) but folks are getting ready for the get-together.

I hope to provide an update of tonight's events later on. Tomorrow DW and I plan to head to Cade's Cove.

Bama Ed

Our one designed get-together was tonight (Monday) and it was a smashing success. Tiggerdad was a wonderful host as DISMeet Chairman and now climbs the ranks into that etherworld of "DISMeet Chairman Emeritus". We'll have to stay tuned for future DISMeet locations and dates. In total we had 39 people from our 18 sites/cabins and the Rock Star Mallory in attendance.

Since 2goofycampers, our DIS Camping Board Moderator, was here as well both she and tiggerdad received identical gifts from the group which was a framed 11x17 Fort Wilderness poster from the 1970s.

s-l500.jpg

All the DIS members in attendance signed the back of both posters. After dinner we went on a walking rv tour of participating DIS members' rigs (including our Aliner). Lots of nice big rigs to fit every family. DW staged our Aliner with a Disney theme:

And of course the HM doorbell fixture I added a few days before we left home.

People who stepped up into our Aliner seemed surprised at how big/open it felt since the interior ceiling is 8.5 ft high at its apex.

We sat outside in the dark chatting afterwords at tiggerdad's place until it was time for a shower and sleep. Tomorrow is another full day for us.

Bama Ed

Wow, several of us had the same idea for today (Tuesday). DW and I took off for Cades Cove this morning too, Bishoparc and tripleb, and we left out about 9am and went via Weirs Valley Road (Hwy 321).

It was nearly empty along the road as we admired the views and looked for wildlife.

Just kidding. The road was not empty. We were in a slow procession which was fine. We had no schedule.

Lovely views of the valley.

Besides deer, we did see turkeys twice:

And a good view (from the car) of a small bear which caused traffic to just STOP completely.

At tiggerdad's suggestion, we had packed a picnic lunch and ate at the Cades Cove picnic area near the campground which had some tables out near the beautiful babbling brook. Very peaceful. We also checked out the CC campground store and saw where campers could check in (no vacancies for tonight).

I have hit my 10 hosted pictures per post limit. So next post if you please ....

Bama Ed

We also visited the Little River Railroad and Lumber Company Museum in Townsend (apparently missed Arc by about an hour). Mr. Townsend who founded the town harvested lumber in the nearby mountains and used the Shay locomotives (gear-driven) to move the logs out of the mountains to civilization where they could be milled/cut and then shipped out on regular piston-driven locomotives.

It's rare to see a Shay (even a static display) so still very interesting.

Shays were good for logging railroads because they could run on narrow tracks (less money spent grading) that were uneven (did't have to make them perfect) on steeper grades (meant short track lengths) and were strong (could take more logs each trip). As Arc said, they were slow which was their trade-off. The issue with loggers anywhere was getting the logs out of the woods to the train tracks for the Shays to take them out.

After that we drove back into GSMNP and wound our way in the hard afternoon rain past the Sugarlands Vistor's Center and back into PF and the campground. Another hard rain blew in this afternoon but as of 7pm has blown out already and the birds and sunshine have come back out with some clouds.

We'll head over to Arc's place soon.

Bama Ed

The Wednesday 6/9/21 update:

Who's ready for a daily update with some pictures?

giphy.gif

Awright then - off we go!

Today was Dollywood day with BishopArc and DW(s). We got there about 15 minutes after "rope drop" and it was a nice relaxing visit. It's like a regional amusement park of my youth, Geauga Lake, up in northeast Ohio. Not crowded, no FastPasses to worry about, and we weren't hung up on riding every ride either. I'll go in chronological order and that means it will have to run over multiple posts. But so be it.

But first things first - puzzle progress over at Teamubr's site this morning. I didn't contribute much of anything as I barely spent any time there but progress is being made by others.

The first thing at DW we did (and BishopArc was a WONDERFUL tour guide) was to see a bluegrass show in an outdoor theater.

Very good musicians and singers. The banjo player's schtick felt a little forced at 1030am in the morning but he could play the five string and harmonize just fine. Enjoyed that greatly.

We walked through the reproduction (right behind the bluegrass theater) of Dolly's childhood house/cabin:

then went up the hill to see where the train was and check its schedule for today.

I am a live steam locomotive guy and love riding behind them smelling the smoke, ash, cinders, and oil of that living machine. But it didn't have its first run till noon (this picture was taken after the noon run which was by then removed from the board). So we walked up the hill through the mine tunnel up into the arts/crafts area up by the Eagle Mountain Sanctuary.

The blacksmith's shop was open and interesting.

Further up the hill the Eagle Sanctuary was giving a show but they rehab injured eagles and have a large netted aviary on the side of a mountain for them to fly in within a contained environment. We saw eight eagle congregated together inside the net and there were easily others there too.

An outdoor theater was offering a bird show and while we got there late after it had started, we stood outside the seating area and watch a red tailed hawk fly into the arena and land on its trainer's arm. The lady walked around with it there telling the crowd about the bird.

Before the noon train ride there was time to ride one of the rides (more on that later). So BishopArc agreed to ride the log flume ride, Daredevil Falls, with me and the girls agreed to watch us finish at the big drop and laugh at us. It was still early, not crowded, so we had a log to ourselves and I got the front row and Arc was in the second row.

Everybody arms UP!

It was a hoot going down! I got sloshed pretty good not from our ride but from the accumulated water in the log from previous riders. It sloshed down around my feet and ankles completely soaking my socks and shoes. So I "squished" for the rest of the day. But it was fun(ny). :cool1:

Then it was back down the hill past the Cinnamon Bread Grist Mill to ride the first train run of the day.

Let's roll on to the next post.

Bama Ed

While up on the hill we had heard the locomotive's whistle as it had moved to the front of the assembled passenger cars (benches no side walls). Coming out of the mine tunnel and looking to our left, there was ol' Number 70.

The locomotive was a Consolidation model which has a 2-8-0 wheel arrangement built in 1938 by Baldwin in Philadelphia. The customer who ordered it and where it first saw service was a railroad in Alaska.

We slid into a row near the back of the first car which was PERFECT and I took some photos while we sat in the station loading other passengers.

I will say that the steam locomotive is a main draw at the main tourist destination in PF/GAT (other than GSMNP) so it does its show for tourists. As such, it produces way too much smoke on purpose because it photographs better (an efficient combustion and steam mix produces almost no smoke just heat so it's clear but that doesn't show up as well in pictures). And they play the whistle a lot which I was ready for.

The train departs and starts uphill immediately next to the Grist Mill and runs up the mountain way behind the rides/park area.

I had my mp3 app out and running to record the whistle blows and will listen to them later tonight. There were several good ones - the engineer was clearly a professional sound man (again this is for the tourists like me who love that sort of thing).

Back into the station and another picture on the way out.

I got the only souvenir I wanted in a shop nearby to add to my train pin collection on my engineer's hat at home.

Let's keep this train/post rolling in the next one....

Bama Ed

We got some lunch and it was a chance to sit and chat in an air-conditioned setting (no rain yet just clouds). At this point I'd like to explain the ("more about that later") comment about rides. I saw several rides that weren't on our dance card today NO WAY NO HOW. Roller coasters mainly but others too.

Not this tall thing (names don't matter to me).

Not this rocket thing either.

Arc tried to hoodwink me onto the rapids ride but as the train came into the station I saw people getting off it and they were SOAKED. So I looked over at him and said, "nope, Nope, NOPE".

We went through the Dolly Parton Museum and attended the singing show next door featuring three of her nieces.

We did see the train come back into the station area on one of its later rides and this is a nice photo.

Arc says that DW recently concluded its "Flower and Garden" type festival and they had some cute raccoon topiaries that were still on display.

As we headed for the exits this afternoon, the area just inside the entrance has its outdoor avenue covered in umbrellas which is a neat idea.

It was a great day with great company and a fun relaxing time. Back at the rv park, we chatted with the DIS folks who were out and about but then the daily hard shower came for a few minutes pushing us inside. Dinner is next (starting to just be odds and ends of leftovers which is fine). And maybe wander around again.

Thanks for reading these long multiple posts. Tomorrow we head over the mountains into North Carolina.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter