BCV Pool Closure?

I feel really bad for the cast members who work at SAB - they'll basically be dumped for 6 months, at a time when life guards are in short supply. We've heard they're not opening both water parks at the same time due to life guard staffing issues - losing more from SAB, which requires similar training to the water parks, wouldn't be good. There's also a large group of non-life guard staff that will be impacted. I hope they don't have issues getting them back so they can reopen on time in 2026....
This seems counter intuitive. If Disney actually is having problems with lifeguard staffing, they should be able to reassign SAB staff elsewhere. Winter pool refurbishments are commonplace across WDW, so there's always some movement. Also the Disney College Program is a rotating source for staffing in that area. If they don't need as many lifeguards with SAB closed, don't bring as many on board thru DCP.

Or use the extra staffing to jump start having both waterparks open at once. Perhaps not coincidentally, 2025 is when Disney announced everyone will get free water park admission on their arrival day. They may be targeting spring / summer for having both open at once.

This seems counter intuitive. If Disney actually is having problems with lifeguard staffing, they should be able to reassign SAB staff elsewhere. Winter pool refurbishments are commonplace across WDW, so there's always some movement. Also the Disney College Program is a rotating source for staffing in that area. If they don't need as many lifeguards with SAB closed, don't bring as many on board thru DCP.

Or use the extra staffing to jump start having both waterparks open at once. Perhaps not coincidentally, 2025 is when Disney announced everyone will get free water park admission on their arrival day. They may be targeting spring / summer for having both open at once.
I was also wondering if the water parks might get back more to 'normal' with both open in 2025, since they're going to be giving away the free entry days. Unfortunately, it's not very likely they'd open both water parks in the winter (when SAB is closing), so by the time they're ready to open both, it's possible the SAB lifeguards have found an alternative. Hopefully, that alternative for most will be another WDW pool for the short-term.

If they could use Boardwalk pool it would be listed, it clearly states what their options are. Not sure why it is still being debated.
I'm not sure there is a "debate"!! But it's not like Disney wouldn't make changes to an announcement for something that's 10 months away - like just this week, when they changed the reopening dates from May, 2025 to June, 2025! I find it hard to believe Disney would try offering the BW pool again. But never say never.....

I was also wondering if the water parks might get back more to 'normal' with both open in 2025, since they're going to be giving away the free entry days. Unfortunately, it's not very likely they'd open both water parks in the winter (when SAB is closing), so by the time they're ready to open both, it's possible the SAB lifeguards have found an alternative. Hopefully, that alternative for most will be another WDW pool for the short-term.
Again, the DCP makes it very easy to manage this. It's a constant flow of new / departing cast members. Managers can plan months ahead of time to put fewer people in lifeguard roles to accommodate the SAB closure. And current DCP workers have no control over their assignments, meaning they can be moved to other locations and even other jobs at Disney's whim.

There's also an element of attrition, with some number of full and part time workers in lifeguard roles who will depart for various reasons.

Again, the DCP makes it very easy to manage this. It's a constant flow of new / departing cast members. Managers can plan months ahead of time to put fewer people in lifeguard roles to accommodate the SAB closure. And current DCP workers have no control over their assignments, meaning they can be moved to other locations and even other jobs at Disney's whim.

There's also an element of attrition, with some number of full and part time workers in lifeguard roles who will depart for various reasons.
Well, based on conversations with pool cast members this past week on the topic, they're concerned and talking about being proactive in requesting transfers that they can control. So some workers do have some control. To be transparent, we spoke with service cast members at the pool, not life guards. Those folks also told us there is almost constant active recruiting going on for life guards, even for current cast members - Disney offering training for those who would like to try the job. They've been tough to fill. It would be great if come June, 2025, staffing is at a level they can safely reopening SAB and open the 2 water parks for the spring/summer like they used to pre-Covid! There have to be guests who will look to take advantage of that 'free' water park day on check-in....

Weirdly enough, I'm actually excited for the SAB closure. As a non-owner, I'm thinking this might be a golden opportunity to actually nab a BCV studio next spring!

Weirdly enough, I'm actually excited for the SAB closure. As a non-owner, I'm thinking this might be a golden opportunity to actually nab a BCV studio next spring!
I expect you might be right! Although, I know we'll be back next winter and spring, even without the pool - the walk to the EPCOT festivals is just too easy and tempting! Good luck - hope it comes through....

I feel really bad for the cast members who work at SAB - they'll basically be dumped for 6 months, at a time when life guards are in short supply. We've heard they're not opening both water parks at the same time due to life guard staffing issues - losing more from SAB, which requires similar training to the water parks, wouldn't be good. There's also a large group of non-life guard staff that will be impacted. I hope they don't have issues getting them back so they can reopen on time in 2026....
I would hope that they could work at whichever water park is open during this time or at other pools on property. It seems very short sighted to lay them off during the renovation.

I would hope that they could work at whichever water park is open during this time or at other pools on property. It seems very short sighted to lay them off during the renovation.
Looking back at my original post, I used poor wording. The word 'dumped' was inaccurate. I meant that the cast members at SAB would not have a home to work for 6 months. I expect the guards who want to work at other pools or parks, will be able to. But their options at SAB will be eliminate for an extended period, along with service cast members.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter