beauty & the beard - May 2015 - wishes - Canada/AAP

golightly

Earning My Ears
[apologies for the thread name, I couldn't think of anything better]
I've spent enough time lurking about everyone else's PJ enough to feel compelled to make my own.
I'd like to start by thanking all the other Disney brides that have posted their expiriences- you've helped me beyond words.

OUR WEDDING: May 2015
CEREMONY: Canada Terrace
RECEPTION: American Adventure Parlor
DESSERT PARTY: ????

92610011.jpg

this photo may look weird- those are floating cupcakes
we like taking photos with fun disposable cameras​

WHO ARE WE?
I initally had a novel written about our super romantic love story, but decided that no ones likes a wall of text so I'll keep it simple.
She: Heather, standard issue brunette with bangs.
Him: Brian, rad dude & the beard of Heather's dreams.

THE ENGAGEMENT?
I had never been to Disneyworld, & the then bf surprised me with a birthday trip there. We would even stay at the contemporary which was a dream come true.
The first day of our trip was mostly lazy- just wandering about & comparing things to Disneyland while waiting for our Dining Reservations & FastPass times. I was totally about not waiting in lines & just taking in the place. Until we passed It's a Small World, & Brian wanted to go. I immediately said no. It was so different from the original it was almost heartbreaking. There was no gorgeous mid-century facade, just an awning parked across from the peter pan awning with a great clusterf running between it- basically the last place on earth I wanted to spend 30 minutes. But we did, I suffered through it- for him. There was a smaller clock facade inside the awning & it was super cute- but when the hour struck we were behind it.
About 2/3 of the way through the ride he starts saying some very sweet things which brought great annoyance to the people in front of us. He then stopped talking & I went back to paying attention to the ride as not to ruin anyone else's thrilling experience. When I look back at my boyfriend he was leaning towards me in a rather strange manner & said 'I am on one knee, you just can't tell' & what he said after that was a blur. I said yes, gave him several kisses & stared at my perfect ring. At that point I was so shaken, I didn't see it coming. It was perfect. We were engaged 2 days after our 3 anni.

image_1_.jpeg

WHY DISNEY?
My father & I were both cast members at the Disneyland Resort so Disney & the parks will always be sentimental. The whole idea of a disney wedding came about when my father took me to Club 33 for my birthday & we talked about what we thought my wedding might be like. We pictured the BIG Disneyland wedding. The coach, the evening ceremony at the castle, the fanfare. but now, 10 years later, that doesn't really fit who I am today.
It's rather embarrassing because I had always had my wedding partly planned- it would be at Disney no matter the groom. I was afraid that the love of my life might not be into that in the slightest. But I found a keeper. Disneyland was special to us because we went so often while we lived in California.
Until my trip to WDW in March I had never really considered Florida as a possible venue, but we fell in love with Epcot. Plus I will take some comfort in the fact the wedding will be equally inconvenient for all involved, given our family & friends are scattered across the country.

INSPO:

BRIDAL
My dream dress. I don't know that I would ever be able to afford this dress but it's def what I'm looking for.
DREAMDRESS.jpg

I also want to get something vintage & tea length for my dessert party.

Hair/Make Up
I'm going for something very 60s inspired & a little dramatic.
HAIRMAKE.jpg

MY GIRLS
I have 2 girls, maid & matron of honor.
bridesmaids.jpg

Left to right: LOOK AT THEM CUTE TEENY VICTORY ROLLS!
faux Fur shrug for texture. Bold minidress they can wear all dayy.
Eye make up (top right is my fave)

DECOR:
I assume everyone thinks our Disney wedding with be excessively themed as such. We really want the wedding to be reflective of us.
I'm trying to find way to incorporate the Disney without going overboard- maybe I'll just have the mouse himself show up & that will be enough.

the color palettes & decor inspo are coming from my two fave movies.
colors.jpg

They suit the venues so well, & are similar enough to make it work.
The main colors being BLUE, GOLD, & RED.

decor.jpg

top photo: scream canada to me
bottom photos: ideas for the parlor
[ minus the tent unfortunately]

Ceremony:
Canadian terrace will fit this perfectly. I'm not sure what I will do for the alter, mostly because I'm not sure of my options.

Lines from the movie we might incorporate into our vows.
SAM: So, what do you want to be when you grow up?
SUZY: I don't know...
I want go on adventures I think--not get stuck in one place. How about you?
SAM: Go on adventures too, not get stuck too.​

Reception:
I initially wanted Rose & Crown as a venue because I love the feel of that place. I always loved cozy pubs & their vibes. But wasn't really going to work out. When I initially reached out to Disney I had no clue where to have my reception. One night we were talking about the wedding & I realized we hadn't discussed colors so I asked for his input- to which he said "red, white, & blue- duh, 'murica". He was joking of course but the next day I found photos of the American Adventure Parlor & fell in love with it & the possibilities. I'm honestly afraid of the damage I'm going to do to my budget for reception decor- BUT I AM SO EXCITED TO DO IT.

I would like to incorporate this into the reception/family favors.
"family isn't a word- it's a sentence"​

. . . more to come

Following! Love your ideas so far, especially the vintage inspiration! The combination of your venues is also very special, I'm really interested in what you come up with!

I really like to hear your story, the engagement story is just beautiful!

I love the surprise proposal, and I am loving your color scheme and vintage plans...

Can't wait to hear more!
Brooke

Invites?
invite1.jpg

invite2.jpg

These are what I've been looking at for invites. I'd alter the colors a bit of course. But at over 200$ for 25 invites my fiance thinks I'm crazy. He told me to go to staples- HAH.
These are hand silk screened, almost like little works of art. I know that if we sent out something of this quality my parents & family would likely frame it & it would be a lovely keepsake for them.
Getting these might mean that my programs/misc paper goods might have to be be SUPER low cost DIY- but I think that it might be worth it.
(unless I find something else on etsy)

ALSO THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES
I assumed that my wedding wouldn't really catch anyone's eye or interest.
I just wanted to contribute in case my process would help someone else somewhere down the line.

SPEAKING OF MY PROCESS
I really thought everything would move a lot quicker.
I started all of this before the year mark, & now I'm almost at the 11 month mark. & there are still a few things are lingering up in the air with spotty communication.
I'm not really complaining- just surprised they aren't more eager to take all of my money given I'm so eager to hand it over!

I love your inspiration photos! It looks like your vintage theme is coming together nicely. Have you done any shopping yet? :)

I love your inspiration photos! It looks like your vintage theme is coming together nicely. Have you done any shopping yet? :)

Not as much as I would like. But with just under 11 months I'm still feeling comfortable.

My Mother & my Matron of Honor are both on the other side of the country so were coordinating a time when we can all get together & do the dress shopping right. We're vaguely planning early fall BUT that might change as my mother is hoping for a Kleinfeld's sale.
I could buy my dresses for the girls but all of us are trying to slim down a bit!

My father is surprising me with my wedding shoes which is exciting/scary.

HOTELS BLOCKS
We have only stayed in the WDW Resort once & it was at The Contemporary, which I LOVE. So we were going in rather blind when choosing our blocks. I think we chose options everyone would enjoy/afford.

OUR HOTELS
Pop Century
Port Orleans French Quarter
Grand Floridian

Most will likely go with PC but I now a few family members who will absolutely love the GF. I myself am excited to be staying there for the first time. I'm not not sure if I'll regret not choosing the boardwalk.

Given we aren't hep to all the hotels any tips/tricks/FYIs from other brides concerning the hotels would be appreciated!

More to come~

HOTELS BLOCKS
We have only stayed in the WDW Resort once & it was at The Contemporary, which I LOVE. So we were going in rather blind when choosing our blocks. I think we chose options everyone would enjoy/afford.

OUR HOTELS
Pop Century
Port Orleans French Quarter
Grand Floridian

Most will likely go with PC but I now a few family members who will absolutely love the GF. I myself am excited to be staying there for the first time. I'm not not sure if I'll regret not choosing the boardwalk.

Given we aren't hep to all the hotels any tips/tricks/FYIs from other brides concerning the hotels would be appreciated!

More to come~

I think your hotel options are very good...you're giving your guests a nice variety of options, both in price and atmosphere. We've stayed at Pop Century and it's bright and fun and full of energy...We've not ever stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, but I've seen lots of pictures and read lots of trip reports, and it looks really pretty. And the Grand is Disney's flagship hotel, and on the monorail, so it's bound to be a great option!

Brooke

I think your hotel options are very good...you're giving your guests a nice variety of options, both in price and atmosphere. We've stayed at Pop Century and it's bright and fun and full of energy...We've not ever stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, but I've seen lots of pictures and read lots of trip reports, and it looks really pretty. And the Grand is Disney's flagship hotel, and on the monorail, so it's bound to be a great option!

Brooke

Thank you for the feedback!
I feel much more confident. Part of me was afraid I had my head in the clouds about my choices after I submitted them.

Great colors, i love LOVE your style and way of writing. Wes anderson films are love. :cheer2: Can't wait to read more :cool1: You could use disposable cameras at your wedding, i've seen those come out with amazing results.

Great colors, i love LOVE your style and way of writing. Wes anderson films are love. :cheer2: Can't wait to read more :cool1: You could use disposable cameras at your wedding, i've seen those come out with amazing results.

THANK YOU! such lovely things to say..
I feel like my PJ may be a bit different so I'm not sure how many will actually like it or have any interest.. :blush:

& YES! We are going to use disposables for sure. I have my heart set on some vintage themed ones but even at a bulk price their like 5$ a piece & I'd like one for every guest.
Adding it all up is scary:
5$ per guest + cost of development = ???
Things like this are what is going to push my budget to the limit~ but when I think about my family & friends running around the wedding & then Epcot I can only imagine the moments they'll capture & I figure I CAN'T live without them. But it's definitely going to be under the category of "extras" as they aren't favors or decor or actual photography.

MY DUDES
Intially I had the idea of the small group of groom/groomsmen wearing nice slim navy suits. I figured it would be a great investment for the men as they would then have a perfect suit for any occasion.

jcrew.jpg

something like this?

This idea was SHOT DOWN with great dismay by my Father who insisted that all the men wear black tuxes. I protested at the cost then we went back & forth over the look vs cost rentals. I greatly value my Father's opinion & he said the tux issue would be the only input that he needed me to heed to because he NEEDED to wear his military tux & he didn't want to look overdressed. SO I AM DEALING WITH THE FACT WE ARE DOING TUXES NOW.
The groomsmen will rent. For my fiance I am looking for a vintage tux coat & then we will do a slim tuxedo pant to match.

I did have one recent victory- my father had not even considered the option of a kilt tux. So that is what he & my bother will be wearing. & I am very excited for this. We are American, but my father was English before he became a citizen- His parents were/are Irish & Scottish. His heritage is quite sentimental for him especially since his mother left this world just a few months ago. I am very excited to be doing this for my wedding & for him. Not to mention our tartan will pair well with the color choices I have made.
3c74b4bb-6f72-4822-8dee-ce0d3ac9b0bc.jpg

not our tartan but the look is just yes yes yes

..which brings me to..

CULTURAL TRADITIONS
I'm pulling in touches my side from my side, clearly. I would also like Heather in the boutiques. There will be other little touches as well, subtle things that I will strictly do for my own enjoyment.
The Groom's side is Lithuanian- which has a lot of colorful traditions that will fit beautifully with the look I had envisioned for the ceremony. It is very important for me to incorporate something noticeable to honor the Father of the Groom who is no longer with us.
I just hope Disney can help us pull it off

[also somewhat related we are trying to acquire his father's wedding ring- as when I asked my fiance what kinda of ring he wanted he said a simple gold band just like his father's. So we thought- why not his father's? but this may be a struggle with his mother.]

How cool! I've honestly never heard of anyone choosing to get married in Canada as part of Wishes (just usually with Escape, since it's the only Epcot country). I bet it'll be gorgeous. Canada is such a pretty pavilion!

Tiffiny

The Canada pavilion is gorgeous. You'll get some really beautiful pictures there.

I love the little touches of your families culture you're spreading throughout. My fiancee's family is first generation Irish so we're trying also to incorporate it throughout the wedding as well. I look forward to reading more of your planning journal.

OH MY ...
so I realize it has been 3 months since my last post. & I've got practically zero to report concerning wedding updates. This is 100% due to life changes & family crisis.

First ... Late June I took a new job, a dream job- I am now a flight attendant. & the training sent me away for weeks & at this point I'm still trying to get my day to day to normalize. I went from being impatient with all the time in the world to dream & simply struggling to get a solid 8 hours of sleep.
Then ... Late July my father was hospitalized with internal bleeding & we nearly lost him. He's much better now & he's still trying to find a new rhythm to living to maintain his health & career.

Disney has been patient with me which I appreciate beyond words but now I'm finding myself slipping further & further behind with the whole planning process.
Reviewing 12 month wedding planning guides like the on form The Know quelled my anxieties a bit. but I'm now 7ish months out with nothing to show.

good news ... We are visiting California at the beginning of next month & thus going to Disneyland. Part of me wanted to maybe try to do the engagements photos that we have neglected but most of me just wants to dress like a tourist & bounce between the cove bar & the various good things to be found in the happiest place of earth.

INVITES:
I've decided I might skip the overpriced silkscreened invites from etsy & for for something more artdeco from minted. They're running a special wedding invite promo through the end of the month so that will keep me on track for at least one thing- maybe? hopefully?

How cool! I've honestly never heard of anyone choosing to get married in Canada as part of Wishes (just usually with Escape, since it's the only Epcot country). I bet it'll be gorgeous. Canada is such a pretty pavilion!

Tiffiny

Canada seems to be the biggest shock to other brides. At first I was a little worried because I haven't seen many photo of it as a venue & when I do it's been rather bare bones- but I'd like to think of it as blank slate. To me it read intimate & open at the same time. But I guess we will see. I'm hoping I won't regret it!

The Canada pavilion is gorgeous. You'll get some really beautiful pictures there.

I love the little touches of your families culture you're spreading throughout. My fiancee's family is first generation Irish so we're trying also to incorporate it throughout the wedding as well. I look forward to reading more of your planning journal.

Thank you! I was afraid it would be a bit much- with the kilts & at first my fiance thought I was joking. My father jumped at the idea though & it stuck. So much for subtle.. hah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter