Becoming a Disney Travel Agent - Salary and Business Question

Im a home based TA. I do need to find my own clients and that is very hard these days with everyone using search engines for the best prices etc. Also, the perception is still there that agents charge and people can find better deals on their own instead of booking with an agent, who does not charge but gets commissions from the vendors.

It wasnt an easy task and due to this, I did not give up my day job. I did feel when I did get a burst of clients I could not keep up because I had a day job! This would be the perfect job for someone who does not need the income or benefits of a full time job....stay at home Mom/Dad or Retiree Clients come in waves, not year round.

With that being said, I took my courses and became certified for $250 plus $250/ year in fees (for my website/Email/marketing materials). One Disney vacation commission will pay those fees, plus a little. (Disney pays 10%, but my host agency takes 3%) My own family takes a vacation annually. That commission pays the fees. Anything beyond that, which I now do for only friends and family..no referrals..is just some extra pocket money. When I retire, in about 10 years!!, I might look into doing it more full time. For now I just keep my credentials and pay the fees until the fees are actually costing real money, not coming from commissions.

I’m a stay at home mom, dvc owner, obsessor of all things Disney and I’ve thought about doing this just as some extra income. I’ve actually been planning friends and families trips for a while now for free since everyone knows Disney planning is like my favorite thing in the world. That said, I haven’t because I’ve been very leery of agencies. The ones I know to be legit like dreams always seem to be “not taking new agents right now.”

If the OP's main interest relates to Disney, perhaps a better alternative is to work at a nearby Disney store, which are often found in larger malls. Based on all of the prior discussion, being a travel agent may not be the best choice if you are mainly looking for at least part-time employment as source of steady income. As more vacation destinations can be found using websites and most everyone nowadays has a computer, the future need for travel agents will probably continue to decline.

If the OP's main interest relates to Disney, perhaps a better alternative is to work at a nearby Disney store, which are often found in larger malls. Based on all of the prior discussion, being a travel agent may not be the best choice if you are mainly looking for at least part-time employment as source of steady income. As more vacation destinations can be found using websites and most everyone nowadays has a computer, the future need for travel agents will probably continue to decline.
I used to feel this way as well, but I think today consumers have way too much information available and it more confusing than ever. That paired with not actually having the time available to do the research is where travel agents come in. They provide a service of coordinating your trip so you know everything is lined up and in order. Add me to the list of people who are exploring the possibilities of selling Disney travel.

Agreed. I think you are more likely to make money becoming a YouTuber Vlogging about Disney than becoming a travel agent.

Bumping this thread… I took the bait from a Facebook group I’m in- that is managed by a travel agency. ”Do you travel to Disney every year? Come be a part of our team!”

I filled out a form and did a quick phone “interview”. All I learned from the experience is that it is definitely not for me. Sounds like a ton of work for very little payout. Being at someone’s beck and call during their trip and no payment until six months to a year after booking? No thanks.

Thought it would be a nice way to supplement my income and pay towards our Disney trips. But it just feels so icky.

Bumping this thread… I took the bait from a Facebook group I’m in- that is managed by a travel agency. ”Do you travel to Disney every year? Come be a part of our team!”

I filled out a form and did a quick phone “interview”. All I learned from the experience is that it is definitely not for me. Sounds like a ton of work for very little payout. Being at someone’s beck and call during their trip and no payment until six months to a year after booking? No thanks.

Thought it would be a nice way to supplement my income and pay towards our Disney trips. But it just feels so icky.
Travel agents are one of the jobs in lists to be obsolete in upcoming years as boomers kick the bucket. You probably dodged a bullet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter