Being turned away at the port

I'm starting to think DCL needs to re-think its policy of testing at the port. Despite vaccinations, positive tests are rising each month and so many of those are asymptomatic. It might get to the point where people are being turned away by the dozens. Requiring vaccination should be enough.

This is not really DCL's decision at this point.

Many ports are requiring vaccine plus test.

Example requirement:

Effective August 6, 2021, those travelling to The Bahamas from other countries who have been fully vaccinated will be required to obtain a negative COVID-19 test (either a Rapid Antigen Test or PCR), taken no more than five (5) days prior to the date of arrival in The Bahamas. The name and address of the lab where the test was performed must be clearly displayed on the test result.

Source: https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

DCL is not powerful enough to tell cruise ports to take them as they are, and the reality is that the ports call the shots right now. USVI is requiring vax, and I think BVI are a vax-n-test requirement.

This is not really DCL's decision at this point.

Many ports are requiring vaccine plus test.

Example requirement:

Source: https://www.bahamas.com/travelupdates

DCL is not powerful enough to tell cruise ports to take them as they are, and the reality is that the ports call the shots right now. USVI is requiring vax, and I think BVI are a vax-n-test requirement.
You're right but I'm at a level of frustration where I feel something has to change.

We were denied boarding on Friday's Dream cruise. We had two parties, my husband and I and a friend. We had separate reservations, separate rooms. Our friend tested positive at the port, we tested negative. Since we all arrived in the same car, none of us were allowed to sail. They provided all of us with a voucher for a future cruise credit in the value of our original reservation, minus travel insurance (we don't get that money back). We also had to call the port to get a refund on our parking charges.

We had to wait for our luggage to be retrieved (about an hour) and the paperwork for the cruise credit. We drove to the port so I can't answer on what happens if you come via bus.

The person who tested positive got retested Friday and received their results this morning and was negative. The port will not re-test, they will only re-look at the test you already took to make sure they didn't read it wrong.
I am so sorry. That must have been terrible. I’m now beginning to wonder about our DCL cruise plans for October. I don’t know how you guard against something like this. Case in point two weekends ago we were supposed to travel to Michigan for a college football game. Son, who coaches HS football, had a prolonged and close proximity exposure to a player who tested positive 2 days before we were supposed to fly. After some agonizing (the certifications you have to make in order to fly include known exposures), we bailed. Sitting home watching the game on TV instead that Saturday night we learn from our son that the player who tested “positive” was a false positive after two follow-on negative tests. Argh. Not nearly as frustrating as your situation. I can’t even imagine. Color me confused and concerned right now. But mostly wanted to convey “sorry” for what must have been a bummer of a day for you.

My heart goes out to people who planned and started their vacation and get turned away. And only have a "cruise credit" to show for it.

It takes a real commitment to "cruising" to book a cruise right now.

My heart goes out to people who planned and started their vacation and get turned away. And only have a "cruise credit" to show for it.

It takes a real commitment to "cruising" to book a cruise right now.
Shouldn't the insurance kick in to provide a refund?

Just so I understand, you can decline the credit and choose to file on your trip insurance for cash back?

I assume? But I don't know what the insurance covers, so I'd have to contact them. I purchased the insurance directly from DCL for the purpose of medical if needed. I don't know what their covid coverage is for denial to board.

Just so I understand, you can decline the credit and choose to file on your trip insurance for cash back?
I'm fairly certain the answer is "no." To my knowledge, insurance only pays if you are not able to get a credit and are "out" the money.

That may depend on the specific policy. I know during COVID some people got caught with cancelled flights but the airline offered a credit and the insurance denied a claim even though the traveler didn't want/wouldn't use a credit. Maybe once the credit expires unused, then a claim could be submitted to insurance. But again it probably depends on the insurance policy.

They will NOT cover the taxes, fees or insurance we paid for, so we lose that money.
Are you sure the bolded items aren't automatically reimbursed? I know they aren't typically rolled into a cruise credit and were refunded. But even pre-covid if someone simply didn't show up at port or was denied boarding, the taxes and port fees were reimbursed. Those items are collected on your behalf and actually payable to whatever authority -- if you aren't present, there is no tax or port fee due. It's my understanding that it is illegal for an entity to collect a "tax" that doesn't get paid to the taxing authority and must be refunded.

Maybe it's time DCL does the same--require a vaccination and those who are ready to cruise go and those not ready, not.

Well, you could just as easily argue the opposite—that protocols should stay as is and those who aren’t ready to accept it shouldn’t go.

That said, it is my understanding that most other cruise lines are letting you do a PCR or rapid antigen test a couple of days prior to cruising instead of testing at port. That seems more reasonable to me since if you have a false (or real) positive, at least you probably haven’t traveled yet.

Last edited:
Are you sure the bolded items aren't automatically reimbursed? I know they aren't typically rolled into a cruise credit and were refunded. But even pre-covid if someone simply didn't show up at port or was denied boarding, the taxes and port fees were reimbursed. Those items are collected on your behalf and actually payable to whatever authority -- if you aren't present, there is no tax or port fee due. It's my understanding that it is illegal for an entity to collect a "tax" that doesn't get paid to the taxing authority and must be refunded.

The paper says: As a goodwill gesture, you will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of your current cruise voyage fare. This offer does not extend toward any other item; including without limitation, Government Taxes and Fees, travel insurance, pre- and post-package resort nights, airfare or them park admission media. This future cruise credit offer is non-transferrable, non-refundable, non-commissionable, had no cash value or expiration date, and is void should you receive reimbursement through travel insurance. It may only be applied to one future cruise booking. Any unused credit amount will be forfeited.

The paper says: As a goodwill gesture, you will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of your current cruise voyage fare. This offer does not extend toward any other item; including without limitation, Government Taxes and Fees, travel insurance, pre- and post-package resort nights, airfare or them park admission media. This future cruise credit offer is non-transferrable, non-refundable, non-commissionable, had no cash value or expiration date, and is void should you receive reimbursement through travel insurance. It may only be applied to one future cruise booking. Any unused credit amount will be forfeited.

I believe you are straight-refunded port fees and tax. Neither has been a part of any FCC for any cancelled cruise; it's always refunded.

The paper says:
It doesn't say you won't be refunded for taxes, etc., just that your Future Cruise Credit excludes those amounts. As PP says, I'm pretty sure those will be automatically refunded. Other items noted -- insurance, airfare, hotels, tickets, etc. may be dealt with depending on the contracts with those third-party vendors because none are specific DCL products.

Interesting the FCC has no expiration date...

For what it's worth, the DCL website specifically says guests who do not want to select a new sail date will receive a full refund without Disney imposed fees.
For what it's worth, the DCL website specifically says guests who do not want to select a new sail date will receive a full refund without Disney imposed fees.
OK this is the straw for me. I'm cancelling our January cruise. No way am I flying across the country for this level of stress.
I hear ya! There is not enough self help positive thought programs for me to deal with all the stress! Ours is in January too and I keep thinking things might be different then, but I am one that actually got so stressed before the pandemic under normal circumstances, I cannot imagine now! I guess if you didn't have to travel far it would not be so bad.

I think we will keep ours for now. It seems my youngest will be able to be vaccinated before cruising in December, and we only have to drive to the port, so I guess the only hassle we would have would be reimbursement for port parking which would none like $70.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter