Big runDisney announcement coming in April

But they DID give clues it was going to be a women's race by announcing it at the Princess Half and by saying it was something every princess/queen would be interested in. Should they have mentioned that in their little blurbs on Facebook? Sure. But, it was billed as something women would be excited about from the start.

Yes, they probably should have at least placed the flyer on FB, at the start of the clue process. Not everyone who would be interested in the race was at the Princess expo or race.

(Is it just me, or is it kind of sad - the implication that women would only be exited about a women-themed race? )

Did anyone else think it was strange that the special offer was two hours worth of early registration for a race that probably won't close for months, if ever? I thought the special offer was going to be something like the Galloway meet we had at W&D.

Yes, they probably should have at least placed the flyer on FB, at the start of the clue process. Not everyone who would be interested in the race was at the Princess expo or race.

(Is it just me, or is it kind of sad - the implication that women would only be exited about a women-themed race? )

I don't get that implication at all. I see it as Disney marketing to a captive audience for a race that would possibly appeal to said audience. If you're running at the Princess, you're obviously not morally opposed to a women-centric race. So why not start spreading the word with the people who are spending the money on the very thing you're trying to sell?

Did anyone else think it was strange that the special offer was two hours worth of early registration for a race that probably won't close for months, if ever? I thought the special offer was going to be something like the Galloway meet we had at W&D.

Not much SPECIAL in that offer.

I did find the "special offer" odd. After all, we can't register for the Princess for another 3 months and it's less than a month after the Tinkerbell. It's like they were trying to force people's hands in choosing one or the other right away.

Even if the dates worked for me and I wanted to register, I wouldn't be doing it yet. It's too far out to put the money down, especially when the discount isn't large. The Princess would be getting my money first as I know I should be able to easily afford a flight to WDW.

Well, unless the military decides we're moving sooner than expected and my luck would be we'd move to CA and I couldn't afford to fly to FL. :rotfl:

I did...I was hoping for the offer to be some sort of a discount...even $10 off would have been nice...but being eligible to register and see the event info just a couple of hours before everyone else was able to see it didn't really seem like anything special to me. And I even opened a FB account just so I could see the reveal and "opportunity." Oh well :rotfl:

I don't get that implication at all. I see it as Disney marketing to a captive audience for a race that would possibly appeal to said audience. If you're running at the Princess, you're obviously not morally opposed to a women-centric race. So why not start spreading the word with the people who are spending the money on the very thing you're trying to sell?

Ah, but the appeal was specifically to princesses, queens, fairies (or whatever was in the flyer). Yes, captive audience, and the princess is mainly women, but the appeal is specifically geared to them, not as runners or walkers, but as women. (I'm a bit low on coffee right now, but the poorly-expressed thought is that Disney's primary appeal for the new race was based on gender, not that it was at Disney, a new race, etc.)

I am not opposed (well, much anyway ;) ) to the Princess. But I did want to see something other than yet another women-centric race. I'm trying really hard right now to remember that Disney is the happiest place on earth, but Disney is trying equally hard to let me know (subtley, to be sure), that DW is more welcome at Disney races, and WDW, than I am.

The "special offer" was as much of a failure as the rest of that train wreck. Well, unless you look at "special" in the same way they apply it to people who may not be fully able, then it was spot on.

But, if you look at the runDisney races, there are MORE races that are "gender neutral".

Wine and Dine, DL Half, WDW Marathon Weekend.

Women-centric:
Princess and Tinkerbell

I don't see how that's saying Disney doesn't want you there? Because they made one more women-centric race for those easily able to travel to the West coast that couldn't otherwise make it to the Princess?

I do understand the disappointment people have right now. I do. It does suck to know you're not able to fully participate in something that was hyped up so much for a month. I just don't think it's the big Mickey gloved hand F-you that people (in general) are making it out to be.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I were on the other side of this, but I just see it as a simple business decision made by Disney to boost profits.

If they keep adding more and more women's races, then I can see the outrage and I could be just as outraged and would begin to complain to Disney big time.

But, if you look at the runDisney races, there are MORE races that are "gender neutral".

Women-centric:
Princess and Tinkerbell

I don't see how that's saying Disney doesn't want you there? Because they made one more women-centric race for those easily able to travel to the West coast that couldn't otherwise make it to the Princess?

I do understand the disappointment people have right now. I do. It does suck to know you're not able to fully participate in something that was hyped up so much for a month. I just don't think it's the big Mickey gloved hand F-you that people (in general) are making it out to be.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I were on the other side of this, but I just see it as a simple business decision made by Disney to boost profits.

If they keep adding more and more women's races, then I can see the outrage and I could be just as outraged and would begin to complain to Disney big time.

All races should be gender neutral. Not some or most or even the vast majority.

It is about the double standard for me. I've always had a problem with any race the is gender-specific but coming out with a second event that was exclusionary was the last straw in my mind.

I realize there is little demand for a men-only race but if they came out with a race in the year 2011 that only allowed men to compete for the prizes so many people would be up in arms yet very few are up in arms about this.

I don't care if they will make money on the event or not, they should not be exclusionary. They wouldn't dare do a whites-only event even though their numbers I assure you show that more runners at their events are Caucasian but it's ok to exclude men because no one apparently cares if it is only us that get crapped on. White-only would be viewed as discriminatory and would get protested and boycotts but no one cares that these events are just as wrong and exclusionary.

This of course is a microcosm of a much larger phenomenon in our society which adds to my annoyance. They are perpetuating the problem. Men-only is seen as sexist while women only is seen as empowering. Go try and open a men's only gym and lets see if NOW doesn't have a problem with it.

For these reasons I think everyone in that organization is a piece of garbage and my Facebook status from yesterday still holds true today.

All merely my opinion of course.

But they DID give clues it was going to be a women's race by announcing it at the Princess Half and by saying it was something every princess/queen would be interested in. Should they have mentioned that in their little blurbs on Facebook? Sure. But, it was billed as something women would be excited about from the start.

Sticking for the men on this issue... unless you were at the Princess AND caught this, there was no hint that the new race would be for women. I WAS at Princess and heard a bit of an announcement, but did NOT hear anything to suggest that the new race was a women's race, only that in April Disney would be introducing a new race.

If I were a guy and had "invested" the time, energy, and effort into following along with RunDisney's FB buildup, I am certain that I would have felt a huge let down that the new race was not one likely to appeal to me. I really think that the very first clue should have made it nearly obvious from Day 1 that the new race would be marketed to women. Had this been the case, I wonder if the guys who are upset now would have been nearly as upset if they had know from the get go that this race was not for them.

@dismagiclover - As I said previously, women-themed stuff will stay until wives, mothers, etc start complaining on behalf of their husbands, sons, etc.

Guess I should write a letter and so some complaining.

I don't foresee my participation in this event.

A trip to DL three weeks after Marathon Weekend seems extremely unlikely. And I wouldn't look forward to being treated as I was during the Princess. I can stay home and get nasty looks and snide remarks, I don't need to travel across the country and fork over that kind of cash.

All races should be gender neutral. Not some or most or even the vast majority.

It is about the double standard for me. I've always had a problem with any race the is gender-specific but coming out with a second event that was exclusionary was the last straw for me.

I realize there is little demand for a men-only race but if they came out with a race in the year 2011 that only allowed men to compete for the prizes so many people would be up in arms yet very few are up in arms about this.

I don't care if they will make money on the event or not, they should not be exclusionary. They wouldn't dare do a whites-only event even though their numbers I assure you show that more runners at their events are Caucasian but it's ok to exclude men because no one apparently cares if it is only us that get crapped on.

This of course is a microcosm of a much larger phenomenon in our society which adds to my annoyance. They are perpetuating the problem. Men-only is seen as sexist while women only is seen as empowering. Go try and open a men's only gym and lets see if NOW doesn't have a problem with it.

For these reasons I think everyone in that organization is a piece of garbage and my Facebook status from yesterday still holds true today.

All merely my opinion of course.

Do you think ALL sports and leagues should be co-ed then? Just curious.

Women-centric:
Princess and Tinkerbell

OKay, so we have 4 races over 13.1 or more (the untimed family runs are ignored for the purposes of this conversation). We have two women-centric half marathons, and the women-only tri (Danskin). That's only 3/7, so it's not a concern yet, right? (And one of the seven is not women-themed, it is women-only.) As I said, it's yet another Disney race in which I cannot fully participate, and, when we complain, our complaints are often belittled, or dismissed in the name of "equality" (because, you know, the Boston marathon was limited to men. Back before I was born. About 40 years ago. :sad2:)

WDW has plenty of princess meals, princess attire, fairy-themed stuff, etc., but DS is aging out of the point where Chef Mickey and Pooh are big appeals (and he's pretty much past the Playhouse Disney stuff). In another year or two, character meals will have no appeal for him - he'll either be too old for Pooh, or they are princesses. (The arguement is that no one buys stuff for the sons - well, you can't swing a Pal mickey at WDW without hitting princess merchandise, but you have to hunt to find something for a son.)

WDW has plenty of princess meals, princess attire, fairy-themed stuff, etc., but DS is aging out of the point where Chef Mickey and Pooh are big appeals (and he's pretty much past the Playhouse Disney stuff). In another year or two, character meals will have no appeal for him - he'll either be too old for Pooh, or they are princesses. (The arguement is that no one buys stuff for the sons - well, you can't swing a Pal mickey at WDW without hitting princess merchandise, but you have to hunt to find something for a son.)

My husband is 61, and still hasn't aged out of character meals. :rotfl:

OKay, so we have 4 races over 13.1 or more (the untimed family runs are ignored for the purposes of this conversation). We have two women-centric half marathons, and the women-only tri (Danskin). That's only 3/7, so it's not a concern yet, right? (And one of the seven is not women-themed, it is women-only.) As I said, it's yet another Disney race in which I cannot fully participate, and, when we complain, our complaints are often belittled, or dismissed in the name of "equality" (because, you know, the Boston marathon was limited to men. Back before I was born. About 40 years ago. :sad2:)

I have no knowledge of anything run outside of the runDisney races. I've never heard of Daskin before. I am only talking about runDisney. I'm not a serious runner, never will be, never want to be. The only races I ever have an interest in running are Disney events and Komen events because I will do anything, including run, to get back to Disney again. So maybe why this isn't such an outrage to me. Maybe that's why I don't see the big deal or bigger picture.

As for boy stuff in the parks, I also can't speak to that because my son is a baby and we haven't run into those issues before. In 5 years, I can talk about that one from experience.

I'm just going to go ahead and step away and say I'm going to agree to disagree.

Do you think ALL sports and leagues should be co-ed then? Just curious.

Any sport like running where there is no physiological limitation to competing against the other sex...absolutely. I'm not delusional. I know that there will be facets of life and even sports where the physiological or biological difference mean there will be separation. I don't think they need male pap tests or female prostate exams for example.

Running though has been the gender equalizer. Women fought, rightfully, to be included in marathon events and that wrong was corrected. You don't then go and do the exact same thing in the other direction and not call it what it is, just as sexist. Men and women run the same races but since you are only competing against runners of the same sex or, if you aren't elite, competing against runners of the same sex in your age group it doesn't matter that men are physiologically different then women. On the same level there are sports where an 80 year old could never "play" alongside a teenager but that isn't the case in running. If they started limiting races to only people under 50 I'd be just as mad because the sport is not as exclusionary as others. Well, at least as long as the RunDisney douche bags aren't putting on the event.

As for co-ed leagues and teams I can't think of any city leagues around here that don't have a co-ed option for all sports. I know more women who play on flag football teams (co-ed) than I know men for example.

I also think that if there is a female who is good enough to play baseball at a major league level they should be allowed to play in the major leagues. Same goes for all professional sports but they have to play by the same rules as everyone else just like Jackie Robinson did when he broke an outdated limitation based on a demographic.

Any sport like running where there is no physiological limitation to competing against the other sex...absolutely. I'm not delusional. I know that there will be facets of life and even sports where the physiological or biological difference mean there will be separation. I don't think they need male pap tests or female prostate exams.

Running though has been the gender equalizer. Women fought, rightfully, to be included in marathon events and that wrong was corrected. You don't then go and do the exact same thing in the other direction and not call it what it is, just as sexist.

As for co-ed leagues and teams I can't think of any city leagues around here that don't have a co-ed option for all sports. I know more women who play on flag football teams (co-ed) than I know men for example.

I also think that if there is a female who is good enough to play baseball at a major league level they should be allowed to play in the major leagues. Same goes for all professional sports but they have to play by the same rules as everyone else just like Jackie Robinson did when he broke an outdated limitation based on a demographic.

:) Just wanted to hear your thoughts was all.

:) Just wanted to hear your thoughts was all.

That's cool. We can agree to disagree. I added a few thoughts after you quoted me which may make my POV clearer. Or maybe not. It is what it is.

Disney doesn't really care about what I think any more than they care what AP holders think when they complain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter