BLM teaches kids racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand your point, I am just sad about it based on experiences in my life. I would never presume to tell anyone what they should or should not do. I don't know how to answer your question but based on your explanation of people needing their own space with people like themselves, would white children even be welcome in these groups? Fortunately my kids were raised in a diverse community and they have good friends of many races, went to high school as the "minority" group, and my experience is different than yours.
Yes, they would be accepted. That doesn't mean there won't be those who aren't willing to embrace diversity. Fortunately, most people are willing to speak up and shut them down.

There was a huge up roar at my son's college his freshman year (Hampton University)when for the first time in the school's history, a white young lady was crowned Queen. Some students and alumni made a fuss about it, but the majority were fine with it and defended her.

There are plenty of white students enrolled in HBCUs. Here is a picture of North Carolina Central University's baseball team.

https://nccueaglepride.com/sports/baseball/roster
The desire to be in black spaces isn't about excluding others. It's about removing yourself from the issues, stress, pressures...of being in the minority.

I support BLM but not violence at all. I think it is probably over hyped the amount of it, but being in a progressive group on social media I had to leave bc there were people in those groups taking over and encouraging violence in marches. I am a progressive myself, but now consider myself an independent that leans left lol. I do think loud ugly voices take over many groups on social media tho, I've seen it happen in the most innocent groups. But what the actual percentage of violence is, I don't think any of us are getting a real answer. We know the media focuses on the worst of things, depends on which media depending on their political bias, etc. Regardless if it is only 10% even, it still hurts the cause. This is a video I just came across I never saw it before. I hate to put it on bc I know that it can hurt the movement as some will use it to say all are like that. I do not think that but I think people on the left which I am one of, need to call out this stuff. Violence will not help this movement at all. We absolutely need reform in many areas but BLM supporters need to say out loud, and their site also, that they do not support violence. This is very hard to watch so be warned. Is a video of a man viciously beating a white woman with her very young child standing by who tries to help her.

Last edited:
I understand your point, I am just sad about it based on experiences in my life. I would never presume to tell anyone what they should or should not do. I don't know how to answer your question but based on your explanation of people needing their own space with people like themselves, would white children even be welcome in these groups? Fortunately my kids were raised in a diverse community and they have good friends of many races, went to high school as the "minority" group, and my experience is different than yours.
Even Black sororities welcome those who do not identify as Black (as a generality).

I can understand where you are coming from but I think the perception is if you weren't xyz (either by race or ethnicity) you aren't welcome. That's not truly the case for most of the situations. Some people may not welcome someone but that's a personal issue on them not a representation of the idea itself.

Now what I will say is I do believe religion may be the outlier. For instance there is a Jewish fraternity at my alma mater and their mission statement is "was founded to provide opportunities for the Jewish college man seeking the best possible college and fraternity experience. Our commitment to the Jewish cause has only grown stronger. Our mission is to create a home away from home for the young Jewish man, a place where he feels his presence is valued, and a place where he can thrive."

However, I would treat religion as a tad different. It's a separate space but I think that makes more sense. It's not about dietary preferences or cultural differences such that were given examples of before. I know the perception can still be off-putting to some but I do understand keeping more separate there.

I support BLM but not violence at all. I think it is probably over hyped the amount of it, but being in a progressive group I had to leave bc there were people in those groups taking over and encouraging violence in marches. I am a progressive myself, but now consider myself an independent that leans left lol. I do think loud violent voices take over all groups on social media tho but it is a real thing. What the actual percentage is, I don't think any of us are getting a real answer. We know the media focuses on the worst of things, depends on which media depending on their political bias, etc. Regardless if it is only 10% even, it still hurts the cause. This is a video I just came across I never saw it before. I hate to put it on bc I know that it can hurt the movement as some will use it to say all are like that. I do not think that but I think people on the left which I am one of, need to call out this stuff. Violence will not help this movement at all. We absolutely need reform in many areas but BLM supporters need to say out loud, and their site also, that they do not support violence. This is very hard to watch so be warned.
Your video cannot be viewed...or at least I can't view it on Facebook. You might look for the same video on YouTube and post a link.

Your video cannot be viewed...or at least I can't view it on Facebook. You might look for the same video on YouTube and post a link.

Yes I see that now. I actually only watched it just before I posted so not sure why. Maybe for the better, was very disturbing.

Well, no, not exactly. Mostly sunny means some clouds. Clouds don't all mean rain.
You're right of course. :rolleyes:

But to my main point, when there is violence trying to label the night "mostly peaceful" doesn't matter much to the news media.

The headline will be violence, the pictures will be violence or threatened violence, and the message the public will take away will be another night of anarchist violence in (your city here) .

You're right of course. :rolleyes:

But to my main point, when there is violence trying to label the night "mostly peaceful" doesn't matter much to the news media.

The headline will be violence, the pictures will be violence or threatened violence, and the message the public will take away will be another night of anarchist violence in (your city here) .
more blinders glued shut

I’ll give you that. My British friends are always pretty astounded by the things that go on here. :laughing:
In that vein, I was talking the other day to some friends near Tampa. They are in their late seventies and throughout the many years we have been friends they have always had concealed weapon permits. Whenever we went out with them, whether it was just for dinner or even walking through one of the state parks they both discreetly carried hand guns.
Chatting the other day about how they were managing in the pandemic we learned that they now also have a shotgun that they keep loaded at all times. They are concerned about home invasions and their perception that the current drift towards lawlessness will accelerate.
Very sad, especially for a couple like this who are very active in helping young men coming out of prison find jobs and accomodation and are far from naive.

ford family

officers are being attacked and yet when the rioters are arrested they are released without charge that means local government like wheeler approve and allow these morons. the fact that yet again riots for lies is happening that 30 people have died in riots for another lie the fact that Nadler called Antifa a myth plus democrats refusing to denounce this violence shows everything you need to know

Exactly

It gives us an opportunity to not focus on code switching or WEARING THE MASK.

https://www.yesmagazine.org/opinion/2019/12/17/culture-code-switching/

Thanks for this article!

I do think code-switching is a skill we all use to some degree. (As a substitute teacher for many years, I certainly used different language and mannerisms based on the age of my classes.) But I hated that the author felt she wasn’t good enough to be there! She obviously earned that role as presenter. Speaking academically because the audience expects a sophisticated talk is one thing, but feeling obligated to hide yourself is another. It should be about situation, not color.

And I can really see both sides of the debate over specialty dorms. I would hate to always worry if whatever I said and did would somehow be interpreted as representative of everyone who looked like me. But at the same time, the more students are mixed together, the more they will come see each other as individuals, and the less that will happen. I think every college needs to weigh the balance carefully, based on their particular students and how much they...advertise isn’t quite the word I’m going for (but close) a diverse experience.

officers are being attacked and yet when the rioters are arrested they are released without charge that means local government like wheeler approve and allow these morons. the fact that yet again riots for lies is happening that 30 people have died in riots for another lie the fact that Nadler called Antifa a myth plus democrats refusing to denounce this violence shows everything you need to know

And what is that? "Everything you need to know"? To me this shows that violence can beget violence or that any small amount of violence will be focused on, even exaggerated to justify the other side. Still doesn't change the importance of what they are fighting for. How to fight for it intelligently should be the question. And by the way, tho I am angry at some in my progressive group on FB that were defending or suggesting violence, the overall majority of the ones that were seemed to be white privileged college kids. So the cause is good, how to fight this issue and make the changes needed needs to be done intelligently with real information, not emotional or violent means. https://www.100daysinappalachia.com...-sides-of-the-same-coin-heres-why-theyre-not/

The above link, and the one with Congressman Nadler saying that Antifa is a myth are perfect examples of the fact than anyone can Google any subject and come up with some nut case somewhere with "proof!!!" that supports their point of view.

The Nadler quote was, in fact, made. A wannabe YouTube hero basically ambushed Rep Nadler on a sidewalk in DC as he was getting into a car.

The YouTuber is quite obese and Nadler is very short, so it's kind of a funny visual. Nadler was caught by surprise, was trying to blow the annoying intruder off, and he said something I'm sure he'd love to retract. And that provided priceless fodder for opponents, and made Nadler look like a dunce...which he is not.

Here's the link:
https://nypost.com/2020/07/27/jerry-nadler-calls-violence-from-antifa-in-portland-a-myth/
Something for all Googlers to keep in mind -- words of wisdom from one of our true heroes:

Thanks for this article!

I do think code-switching is a skill we all use to some degree. (As a substitute teacher for many years, I certainly used different language and mannerisms based on the age of my classes.) But I hated that the author felt she wasn’t good enough to be there! She obviously earned that role as presenter. Speaking academically because the audience expects a sophisticated talk is one thing, but feeling obligated to hide yourself is another. It should be about situation, not color.

And I can really see both sides of the debate over specialty dorms. I would hate to always worry if whatever I said and did would somehow be interpreted as representative of everyone who looked like me. But at the same time, the more students are mixed together, the more they will come see each other as individuals, and the less that will happen. I think every college needs to weigh the balance carefully, based on their particular students and how much they...advertise isn’t quite the word I’m going for (but close) a diverse experience.

I know I used code-switching during my career as a flight attendant. There is no doubt about it.

About the dorm issue, again, I agree. I can completely understand the point of not wanting to be "on" all the time as a representative of your background. However, from a personal standpoint, I would have really missed out on a lot of wonderful friends and experiences if my dorm was segregated. I had roommates and suite-mates who were white, black, asian, and middle eastern. I wouldn't trade that time of my life for anything. :) It helped shape the woman I am today.

LMAO You insult my link above as something that shows you can justify anything from a link then you put on this link from the NY rag NY Post?
From you, "The above link, and the one with Congressman Nadler saying that Antifa is a myth are perfect examples of the fact than anyone can Google any subject and come up with some nut case somewhere with "proof!!!" that supports their point of view. "

Then you have the audacity to put on a link from the NY right wing conservative bs NY Post rag paper?
Lmao, are you linking that with the one I put on that you say is I guess something you shouldn't respect or not? I am lost with your point. Anyone from NY knows what the NY Post is lol. And what point are you making anyway, it says people are fleeing bc of homelessness. What is this great reveal from that related to what we are talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter