BLM teaches kids racism

Status
Not open for further replies.
No haha response from me. The "protesters" still come out every night in Portland and then when the crowd gets unruly like trying to barricade exit doors to a police precinct and then set it on fire with occupants inside (this happened last night though you probably won't hear about it on CNN or MSNBC) the police have to respond. Then you hear complaints that the police are tear gassing "peaceful protesters" along with the troublemakers. Tell me this, how do the authorities respond to the antagonists and not the protesters when they are all in the same crowd, wearing the same clothes (except those that are wearing markers falsely deeming themselves "Press" which you also are probably not hearing on CNN and MSNBC).
I just searched about this and a couple local papers and the nypost seemed to be the only ones that reported that. Curious why you called out CNN/MSNBC but not Fox when as best as I can tell they have nothing about it either?

My (black) friend’s daughter was offered a full scholarship. The problem was, it was to a practically all-white college in a part of the country not exactly known for embracing diversity and, as she said, “I just don’t know if I want to spend all day having white people ask to touch my hair.” That’s the crux of it when it comes to these “segregated” college experiences mentioned upthread. Some colleges allow minority-only dorms so the minority students can have a place on campus where they don’t have to exist as the minority. They can be surrounded by people with a similar background, culture, and experiences as themselves, people who are already familiar with what it’s like to be black (or latinx, or Asian, or LGBTQ...), so they don’t have to feel like an outsider or deal with biases or microaggressions in their own home environment. A white roommate might not mean harm when she asks why her black roommate wraps her hair in a scarf before bed or when she expresses surprise that perms do the opposite for black hair than they do for white, but it gets exhausting for the black student to always have to explain what it means to be black. One complaint that I have often seen mentioned by Asian people is the issue surrounding food. They want to eat their traditional dishes in peace without bland-diet Becky sneering and asking “Ew, what is that? Gross!” People don’t want to be “on” all the time, sometimes they just want to relax and surround themselves with people who understand them. This is one reason many of my friends and classmates chose to attend HBCUs. It’s a similar concept to Americans who move abroad and then choose to live in expat communities. People just want to fit in.

The separate graduation ceremonies are optional for students to attend and are held in addition to the school’s official ceremony. Again, this allows for students with similar culture and experience to come together and celebrate in a way that appeals to them, as well as allowing for speakers who can address more specific issues these students will face as they venture out into the world as a [black man, asian-american, undocumented young adult, trans woman...] Segregated freshmen orientations are also a thing, and for the same reasons.

Remember, minorities in this country live in a white-dominated society and they are used to being surrounded by people who are different from them every day, so having a space that embraces and normalizes their way of life is not a bad thing. Would bland-diet Becky benefit from diversifying her friend group and broadening her world view? Probably, but it’s not the asian person’s responsibility to open her mind for her — she needs to take the steps to do that herself. Instead of being outraged that minorities want their own spaces, perhaps white people should be trying to figure out why they might feel like outsiders around us and why they feel they need that escape.

Quick story: I’m white and I spent my childhood and half of my adulthood in majority-black environments. In my late twenties, I was one of a couple white people working in an otherwise all black club. I took one of my white friends to this club on one of my days off to drink and party. We had a great time but afterwards she said to me, “I knew there weren’t going to be a lot of white people there but I didn’t think we were going to be the only white people there.” I was shocked. I realized that was her first time ever having the experience of being the only white person in the room. That was such a foreign concept to me, to think she’d grown up in such a white bubble that she was nearly 30 years old before she’d ever been in the position to be the (almost) only person of her race in the room. I’ve come to realize how common this is in the years since. White people, if you’ve never been the only white person in the room then you haven’t experienced something every minority experiences on a regular basis in this country. Instead of judging their desire for “segregated” dorms or college parties, maybe just extend a little grace and admit you don’t know what it’s like to walk in their shoes.

One last thing that my first paragraph made me think of: I hear lots of arguments about white privilege, what it is, who has it, etc. If you or your child didn’t have to consider how well your race would be welcomed when deciding whether to accept a scholarship or which college to attend, that’s white privilege.

Last edited:
My (black) friend’s daughter was offered a full scholarship. The problem was, it was to a practically all-white college in a part of the country not exactly known for embracing diversity and, as she said, “I just don’t know if I want to spend all day having white people ask to touch my hair.” That’s the crux of it when it comes to these “segregated” college experiences mentioned upthread. Some colleges allow minority-only dorms so the minority students can have a place on campus where they don’t have to exist as the minority. They can be surrounded by people with a similar background, culture, and experiences as themselves, people who are already familiar with what it’s like to be black (or latinx, or Asian, or LQBTQ...), so they don’t have to feel like an outsider or deal with biases or microaggressions in their own home environment. A white roommate might not mean harm when she asks why her black roommate wraps her hair in a scarf before bed or when she expresses surprise that perms do the opposite for black hair than they do for white, but it gets exhausting for the black student to always have to explain what it means to be black. One complaint that I have often seen mentioned by Asian people is the issue surrounding food. They want to eat their traditional dishes in peace without bland-diet Becky sneering and asking “Ew, what is that? Gross!” People don’t want to be “on” all the time, sometimes they just want to relax and surround themselves with people who understand them. This is one reason many of my friends and classmates chose to attend HBCUs. It’s a similar concept to Americans who move abroad and then choose to live in expat communities. People just want to fit in.

The separate graduation ceremonies are optional for students to attend and are held in addition to the school’s official ceremony. Again, this allows for students with similar culture and experience to come together and celebrate in a way that appeals to them, as well as allowing for speakers who can address more specific issues these students will face as they venture out into the world as a [black man, asian-american, undocumented young adult, trans woman...] Segregated freshmen orientations are also a thing, and for the same reasons.

Remember, minorities in this country live in a white-dominated society and they are used to being surrounded by people who are different from them every day, so having a space that embraces and normalizes their way of life is not a bad thing. Would bland-diet Becky benefit from diversifying her friend group and broadening her world view? Probably, but it’s not the asian person’s responsibility to open her mind for her — she needs to take the steps to do that herself. Instead of being outraged that minorities want their own spaces, perhaps white people should be trying to figure out why they might feel like outsiders around us and why they feel they need that escape.

Quick story: I’m white and I spent my childhood and half of my adulthood in majority-black environments. In my late twenties, I was one of a couple white people working in an otherwise all black club. I took one of my white friends to this club on one of my days off to drink and party. We had a great time but afterwards she said to me, “I knew there weren’t going to be a lot of white people there but I didn’t think we were going to be the only white people there.” I was shocked. I realized that was her first time ever having the experience of being the only white person in the room. That was such a foreign concept to me, to think she’d grown up in such a white bubble that she was nearly 30 years old before she’d ever been in the position to be the (almost) only person of her race in the room. I’ve come to realize how common this is in the years since. White people, if you’ve never been the only white person in the room then you haven’t experienced something every minority experiences on a regular basis in this country. Instead of judging their desire for “segregated” dorms or college parties, maybe just extend a little grace and admit you don’t know what it’s like to walk in their shoes.

One last thing that my first paragraph made me think of: I hear lots of arguments about white privilege, what it is, who has it, etc. If you or your child didn’t have to consider how well your race would be welcomed when deciding whether to accept a scholarship or which college to attend, that’s white privilege.
So................integration is bad?

I think it's going to rain. Won't comment because someone's always offended and then points assessed and banned. Better to close the post and talk about boxers vs briefs .

I think the Portland riots have been covered by the general news media -- in fact, that was the point of several of my other posts on this thread: that riot news is drowning out what the BLM advocates want. And it will continue to dominate the news as long as the violence continues.

Here's today's AP story on the rioting in Portland:
https://apnews.com/72474ff6e526fedaae288f09aff0aefe
Looking ahead, it's hard to see any good news coming for BLM.

If there are any new flashpoints (a new police shooting, for example), the reaction will probably include violence that will wash out the message.

And then there are at least four important upcoming cases
  • The Ahmaud Arbery case in Georgia. This is the only case where I have much confidence in convictions being obtained. I am confident GBI did their normal good investigative job and competent prosecutors have a strong case. The defendants will try to plead self-defense, but that's a real dubious claim, IMHO.
  • The George Floyd case in Minneapolis. I'm hoping for a long delay for the trial, maybe a big fight over venue -- the longer the better, because this one is not going to end well.
    • I have no confidence in the investigation and I am convinced the prosecutors yielded to political pressure and filed very serious charges before the evidence was all in. In particular, evidence in both the autopsy report and from body-worn cameras is going to greatly weaken the case.
    • I can see as many as 3 of the 4 officers being found not guilty -- because of sloppy prosecutorial work.
    • I'm hoping Chauvin gets convicted, but even that is a LONG way from a gimme.
  • The Rayshard Brooks case in Atlanta.This case is the worst example of prosecutorial incompetence, and I'd be very surprised if either officer in this case is convicted. The DA in Atlanta, who is running for reelection, hugely jumped the gun and filed charges with almost no evidence. GBI was conducting a thorough investigation (standard procedure in Georgia with police shootings), but the DA refused to wait for their investigation. He's a corrupt joke on the city, and his incompetence is gonna bite him in the butt at trial.
    • And when those officers are found not guilty, Atlanta is going to explode. My family members who live in Atlanta have already made plans to leave when the trial starts.
  • The Breonna Taylor case in Louisville. No charges have been filed yet in this case, and with good reason. This is a truly tragic case, but the fact set just makes it a very difficult case to successfully prosecute. This might be a case where the prosecutor has to sacrifice his job to do the right thing.
    • This is a tragic case where a completely innocent woman was killed by Louisville police serving a lawfully-issued "no-knock" search warrant at her home.
    • I'm not totally clear on the facts of the case, but supposedly the officers announced that they were police and knocked on the door. With no response, they broke the door as permitted in the search warrant issued by a judge. There are SO many operational, procedural problems with the manner in which the warrant was served that I can't even begin to describe them, and they led to disaster.
    • Breonna Taylor's boyfriend, thinking it was a home invasion, began shooting at the officers entering the home. One of the officers was shot in the leg. The officers returned fire, killing Ms. Taylor.
    • The problem with all that from a prosecutor's standpoint is that the officers were serving a lawful warrant, were fired upon by someone in the house, and returned fire. As ugly as the procedural stuff is to people experienced in this kind of warrant service, the officers involved were acting legally, within their department's policies, and were lawfully defending themselves.
    • This case is a total mess -- and that's assuming the police investigation was perfect, the evidence is perfect, etc. It's a nightmare to try to prosecute given the facts in the case.
    • Best decision would probably be to decline prosecution, knowing that the prosecutor will be run out of office in the next election.

Last edited:
Well, I wouldn't say most Amercans are. I would say 1.3 million per game give or take of 300 million Americans. or .5 %. so that's like saying 99.5% aren't? Is that math right? And they are competing against almost nothing but reruns. And we haven't had live sports in months. Shoot the NHL is getting a million viewers. So I expected the NBA to be much better than that.

So there's many reasons why these numbers don't work. 1) How many Americans watched NBA games pre-Covid? Certainly not the entire population. 2) Because of the condensed schedule, games are being played at all hours of the day. It's not fair to compare viewership of a 11 AM mid-week NBA game to anything showing prime time or weekend. 3) The NBA games are being played primarily on TNT and ESPN - two channels that are extra charge, not included in your basic package/digital antenna. All Americans do not have access to these channels. 4) The NBA is still in seed games, and the NHL is in playoffs, so comparing the two at this point in the season is not apples-to-apples. NBA viewership will likely increase when the playoffs begin.

I won’t put a link in it but just google the most horrific example of hate I have ever seen Portland police. A black police officer describing how female police where targeted by blm protestors describing how they would use their police batons to sexually assault them, he also mentioned how weird it was that t racial diversity was on the cops side rather than the protesters who seemed to be mostly white

Maybe like a very small population isn't watching NBA games because of that. But they clearly aren't true basketball fans. Also, pro-tip... you can watch a game and just turn the sound off if you really hate what the announcers are saying.

And I don't know how saying Black Lives Matter is dividing the country. It sounds like your views m

Why would the pp watch the game with the sound off? The NBA is getting money from advertisers. If the pp disagrees with what the NBA is doing, the best thing they can do is not watch so the team doesn't get the advertising dollars. I want to watch sports to get away from the crap. If they elect to bring the crap into sports, I will not watch. I personally know quite a few die hard fans who are not watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter