Blue Card Increased Info 100 to 125 (Effective Oct 19)

Well my Bus Driver's wife's sister's daughter in law's neighbor told me ........., I forget what she told me.
.... 100 isn't pigeon-holing everyone, as not everyone buys the minimum. In theory, increasing the minimum new contract to 125 could cause excessive demand for 1 bedrooms and larger units.
At most resorts, 100 points gets you a studio for a week, every 1-2 years (depending on type of studio, resort and time of year).

My friendship boat skipper said it would even things out slightly vs. the extreme pressure on studios leaving many folks frustrated and locked out of them. That's why I think it may be a new buyer minimum. Unless there's some sort of new amazing member perk, it seems like an odd decision to change that minimum now, but then again, have you tried the mickey waffles lately? (🤮🤮🤮)

increasing the minimum new contract to 125 could cause excessive demand for 1 bedrooms and larger units

There is so much empty space though in 1 bedrooms I don't think it matters if more demand gets pushed there. Plus people will always go for less expensive options and an extra 25 points is like 2-3 extra days on your trip every 2 years in a studio. 125 min also does nothing to the 2br availability unless someone is going 1 time every 3 years and even then its sits between 1BR and 2BR point requirements at RIV.

My friendship boat skipper said it would even things out slightly vs. the extreme pressure on studios leaving many folks frustrated and locked out of them. That's why I think it may be a new buyer minimum. Unless there's some sort of new amazing member perk, it seems like an odd decision to change that minimum now, but then again, have you tried the mickey waffles lately? (🤮🤮🤮)

Making it a blue card minimum, instead of absolute minimum, let's Disney have it both ways:
An incentive to encourage more people to buy 125+ points... while at the same time, still collecting sales for all those people who either can't or won't spend on that many points.

Take a buyer who only wants 100 points... Does Disney really want to say to that buyer, "we refuse to sell to you.. go buy re-sale instead!"
Instead, the blue card is a nice upsell technique.... "thank you for your interest in purchasing 100 points... Are you interested in adding 25 more points? If you add 25 more points, you will qualify for exciting extras, like discounts on dining, Moonlight magic, and the ability to use your points for Disney Cruises, etc.."

Trust me, Disney doesn't want to turn away buyers who are interested in "only 100 point" contracts.

I don't know if they're worried about turning people away. They wouldn't budge for us on the 160 point minimum for new members back when they were selling AKV / SSR. We tried twice. I think they are wanting to get back to that 160 or even more. I could see 200. With point requirements at new resorts changing, you need more anyway.

I think they will start making changes that impact all of us "loophole" owners (that have a small # of points to get direct benefits).
While I'm very thankful for my little blue card earning contract, it expires in 2042 and I already don't have enough points to effectively stay at Riv and future. I'm already concerned. lol

Take a buyer who only wants 100 points... Does Disney really want to say to that buyer, "we refuse to sell to you.. go buy re-sale instead!"

I mean they already do this with smaller contracts. 25/50/75/100/125 the minimum has to be someplace.

Its still no where near the 200+ it used to be as a minimum.

^ I thought it was 220 points to buy into DVC when it first opened, or maybe more.

I don't know if they're worried about turning people away. They wouldn't budge for us on the 160 point minimum for new members back when they were selling AKV / SSR. We tried twice. I think they are wanting to get back to that 160 or even more. I could see 200. With point requirements at new resorts changing, you need more anyway.

I think they will start making changes that impact all of us "loophole" owners (that have a small # of points to get direct benefits).
While I'm very thankful for my little blue card earning contract, it expires in 2042 and I already don't have enough points to effectively stay at Riv and future. I'm already concerned. lol
I have a mix of resale and direct points, with my last direct at CCV when it was only 25 points - but I already had a blue card from years back. For those who have the minimum or points prior to each increase - they cannot change anything - they cannot legally change what you originally purchased the only thing they can do is make changes effective for the future. So you do not have to worry about "loopholes" that are grandfathered. This is why I struggle with RIV. I am torn -I want to buy there but really only want 100 points because of resale restrictions. All my points can be used there, but to book anything other than std. view appears to be point hogs. Considering resale there if it goes under 100 per point - not sure if it will. As I do not like being cornered into having to book my home resort - I usually do-but may choose to use those points at another resort- even at 50 points - it is wasted if I cannot use it elsewhere. Direct for 200 points was a great deal over the summer and I really considered buying 200. waiting to see if they have some sort of good incentive sale over the holidays. Still may purchase direct there but at this point only 50 points

With point requirements at new resorts changing, you need more anyway.
My Skyliner Captain and I both agree with this being the primary issue. A 100 point contract just doesn't get you that far at Riviera. Yes, you can stay in a tower studio in early September, but those seem to be there just so to present a lower "starting at" price. Aren't there something like 24 total when everything's declared? I wouldn't buy expecting to get one of those very often. For that size, I'll spring for a standard view at All Star or POP instead of buying DVC.

Just bought 100 direct at SSR. Guide stated upcoming increase to 125 points before I even asked.

My Skyliner Captain and I both agree with this being the primary issue. A 100 point contract just doesn't get you that far at Riviera. Yes, you can stay in a tower studio in early September, but those seem to be there just so to present a lower "starting at" price. Aren't there something like 24 total when everything's declared? I wouldn't buy expecting to get one of those very often. For that size, I'll spring for a standard view at All Star or POP instead of buying DVC.

Eh it's fine for a couples getaway as well in the Tower Studios likely. They have a good view as well overlooking Epcot fireworks.

More of them than the values at AKV right? Plus it's more room per person 250 for 2 people vs 310 for 4 people.

Probably will try them out at some point.

First, I want to say I'm happy for the people that bought in at super low minimums for direct benefits, as low as 25 points. When I say it was a dumb move by DVD to give direct benefits for as few as 25 points, I don't mean to disparage those who took advantage, especially because I'm super jealous of yall.

But they really screw it up when direct benefits are low thresholds. With so many people in as direct members it dilutes the special things DVD is able to do. A huge pot means more "costs" to any variable cost benefit while overcrowding and creating too much demand fixed costs stuff like Moonlight Magic. If they didn't give basically everyone direct benefits we wouldn't see as many complaints of people not getting Moonlight Magic.

Unfortunately the period of super low threshold direct benefits overlapped nearly exactly with Poly and CC point hog bungalows and cabins, creating other issues.

Increasing the minimum benefits requirement will eventually allow DVD to create more special benefits for members, stuff that can further differentiate direct and resale, differences that will ultimately push more direct sales.

Increasing the minimum for benefits should in theory immediately help sales considering the number of people saying "buy only the min and then buy the rest resale." With strategies like that, it's no wonder DVD looked to both undercut resale and further differentiate direct.

And yes I acknowledge the "get off my lawn" mentality of this post. 😄

First, I want to say I'm happy for the people that bought in at super low minimums for direct benefits, as low as 25 points. When I say it was a dumb move by DVD to give direct benefits for as few as 25 points, I don't mean to disparage those who took advantage, especially because I'm super jealous of yall.

No disparagement felt at all. I closed 2 of my 3 resale contracts a few months before April 2016, so 25 direct points is 25 more than I bought. :teeth: See you at the next moonlight magic? I'll be there whenever it is, your friendly 0 direct point owner, blue card in hand! (I'll be in the park already with my DVC Gold AP..) :cool: :laughing:

:stir:

But they really screw it up when direct benefits are low thresholds.

You are 100% correct.

Yes Disney makes a ton of money. They also make a ton of money off breakage in a given year. That being said if Disney is only going to give X% no matter what to cover benefits than having less people or Disney making more profit are the only ways to "improve" benefits.

Flip side is even if they removed 50% of all direct members would they actually improve the benefits?

But they really screw it up when direct benefits are low thresholds. With so many people in as direct members it dilutes the special things DVD is able to do. A huge pot means more "costs" to any variable cost benefit while overcrowding and creating too much demand fixed costs stuff like Moonlight Magic. If they didn't give basically everyone direct benefits we wouldn't see as many complaints of people not getting Moonlight Magic.

Unfortunately the period of super low threshold direct benefits overlapped nearly exactly with Poly and CC point hog bungalows and cabins, creating other issues.

Increasing the minimum benefits requirement will eventually allow DVD to create more special benefits for members, stuff that can further differentiate direct and resale, differences that will ultimately push more direct sales.

Increasing the minimum for benefits should in theory immediately help sales considering the number of people saying "buy only the min and then buy the rest resale." With strategies like that, it's no wonder DVD looked to both undercut resale and further differentiate direct.

And yes I acknowledge the "get off my lawn" mentality of this post. 😄

When they put it into effect, the minimum buy in for existing members was 25 points, if paying cash.

They Did not plan for this to happen, buy rather never thought about it when they restricted resale.

It didn't take them that long to change it. But, also remember, Disney wants ,people to buy direct so for them, it seems the more blue card owners there are, the better for them.

When they added the initial restriction in 2016, it took my brain about 2.4 seconds to think "why not buy resale and just add on 25 direct?" Strange they didn't consider that at the time. It's a very obvious workaround for just a few bucks. I'm surprised they're (possibly) going over 100, too. Maybe some new perk is about to be introduced? (hahaha yeah right.)

.... 100 isn't pigeon-holing everyone, as not everyone buys the minimum. In theory, increasing the minimum new contract to 125 could cause excessive demand for 1 bedrooms and larger units.
At most resorts, 100 points gets you a studio for a week, every 1-2 years (depending on type of studio, resort and time of year).
I do not think 125 will put extra strain on one bedrooms as many may opt for longer stays in a studio, but it does make the one bedroom an option without needing to borrow. When DVC first opened the minimum was 260 - or somewhere around there, but the price was reasonable.

I do not think 125 will put extra strain on one bedrooms as many may opt for longer stays in a studio, but it does make the one bedroom an option without needing to borrow. When DVC first opened the minimum was 260 - or somewhere around there, but the price was reasonable.
1 bedrooms are the easiest unit, by far, to book currently. The strain is on Studios. So, if anything, this would balance out a little of the difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter