Board Title (Please Read)

My partner and I have been discussing this and we have different reactions to the debate. She wondered why it wasn't GLBTQQ, the second Q being for those questioning. We are almost getting into alphabet soup and where does it stop.

I've also seen it with a second 'T' for Two-Spirited.

Our Sunday School discussion this morning was about stereotyping and discrimination in GLBTTQQ families. (Ironically, neither planned nor led by me.) The first response we got, when the youth were asked if they knew the term, was "the alphabet?"

GLBTTQQ families.
Yikes!:eek:
patsajak.jpg

I'd like to buy a vowel Pat!

I vote for the green one.

I really can't stand the phrase P.C. To me that's just a way of saying, "I expect you to accommodate me and my obviously legitimate concerns, but I don't have to accommodate you and your your obviously not legitimate concerns.

If PCness is bad then why have a board for that's separates out heterosexuals and others? I'm sure a TON of the heterosexuals on the community board find the whole existence of this board and the insistence that the existence of gay and lesbian people be recognized a ridiculous exercise in PCness. How is that different than the accusations of PCness here?

Personally, if I have to deal with people using the PC excuse to oppose inclusiveness and/or make other people feel like they are silly, I'd rather get it from the community boarders--at least they are consistent enough in their logic to see that it applies to the entire community of non-heterosexuals.

I really can't stand the phrase P.C. To me that's just a way of saying, "I expect you to accommodate me and my obviously legitimate concerns, but I don't have to accommodate you and your your obviously not legitimate concerns.

If PCness is bad then why have a board for that's separates out heterosexuals and others? I'm sure a TON of the heterosexuals on the community board find the whole existence of this board and the insistence that the existence of gay and lesbian people be recognized a ridiculous exercise in PCness. How is that different than the accusations of PCness here?

Personally, if I have to deal with people using the PC excuse to oppose inclusiveness and/or make other people feel like they are silly, I'd rather get it from the community boarders--at least they are consistent enough in their logic to see that it applies to the entire community of non-heterosexuals.

I would love to hear what Webmaster Pete would say to this particular train of thought. Does anyone care to get him in on this? I love a good rant! ;)

I hate the whole PC thing. I do occasionally post on the CB. I haven't found that it is an overly friendly or open minded place. In fact, I sometimes find that it's one of the rudest places that I have ever posted to on the internet.....and no, I am not speaking of any posts specifically regarding sexual orientation or gender identity that I have seen posted there. I think that a "hate free" board title, as a subforum of the CB, makes as much sense as making a specific board for the GLBTQ community like we have here. Now, making any internet space hate free is a HUGE challenge, because just like the stuff that has happened in this thread, perspective, life experience, and context make that a minefield that is next to impossible to safely traverse.

I don't think that the DIS is over the top when it comes to being PC or non-PC. It's like America in general.....everyone has the right to an opinion and some folks are definately making a unique contribution. :rolleyes1

I've also seen it with a second 'T' for Two-Spirited.

Our Sunday School discussion this morning was about stereotyping and discrimination in GLBTTQQ families. (Ironically, neither planned nor led by me.) The first response we got, when the youth were asked if they knew the term, was "the alphabet?"

Wow. Jumping in just to say that your church must ROCK. I hope I can lead a discussion like that in my church someday.

Back to lurking. This is a very educational thread for me.

Title: The Rainbow Connection
Tag line: A friendly space for the GLBTQ community to socialize with friends & family and occasionally discuss the Disney experience.
I object to this on the basis that it will get the song in my head forever and ever. :D

But seriously, I think this is a really good idea. Either that or call it "Gay, Lesbian, and Friends" or something - thereby including straight allies, such as people who are traveling to Disney with gay friends and are concerned on their friends' behalf.

I voted for the red, I think that the letters might throw some people off and the green just doesn't sit right for some (as of now unknown) reason.

I live in alphabet soup, I literally spew letters out all the time instead of words, someone said something to me last night that caused me to stop mid letter! He said "gee and I thought that I spoke in anachronyms in the computer field - the medical field has me beat by a mile - could you please translate?" So I did - but it make me realize that the letters are intimidating for many. I don't think the whole world knows what we mean by GLBTQ. Using all the words makes it way too long.

Just my thoughts....

I vote for the Red as the alphabet soup is a bit much and the second one seems a bit too exclusive.

The term 'Keep It Simple' comes to mind and I think why change it at all. Sometimes people just like to upset the apple cart just to spill apples on the floor. The OP seems to have done this and left.

But none the less, a more inclusive title would be good.

I was wondering if anyone else Transgendered (besides the OP) posted their opinion?

(please, no offense meant to the OP if I didn't refer to you as you would like.)

I live in alphabet soup, I literally spew letters out all the time instead of words, someone said something to me last night that caused me to stop mid letter! He said "gee and I thought that I spoke in anachronyms in the computer field - the medical field has me beat by a mile - could you please translate?" So I did - but it make me realize that the letters are intimidating for many. I don't think the whole world knows what we mean by GLBTQ. Using all the words makes it way too long.

Just my thoughts....

I think every career field has its alphabet soup. I work in the electric industry and we have too many acronyms to count. I had to ask someone what the Q stood for in GLBTQ myself so I know others must struggle with the same thing.

. Quite frankly, I think you are being something that I was once......young and self centered with an idea that you are going to "radically change the world". There is nothing wrong with being in that phase of your life, but trust me, most of us grow out of it and someday turn into grumpy adults that just don't give an rat's behind about the desires of young, self centered teenagers. :

I respectfully don't think anyone "squashed" but I in-turn don't think we're
required to coddle.

Dunno....i have to disagree.:confused3

Look, I got fined points, I don't want to shoot my mouth off and get anymore. Yes, I was harsh on Tyler, but then again, I don't think that I would have said one thing differently even if that conversation had happened IRL....well, there would have been some cussing, but that's just me. :rotfl2:

Just remember, that which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Points? Really ? I didn’t think what you said was necessarily bad, just harsh. I think you can be more so in person than you can on here because we cannot see exactly how everything is intended. It is really hard to know how to take things sometimes (not by you but by everyone!) And the cussing....don't worry I am no better.

I just want to point out to wallyb what I disagreed with.

As for the statement that what does not kill us only makes us stronger....Don't I know it!! I think I have lived my entire life by that statement!

Points...wow, I am amazed - the mods must have felt your words were a little too much?

After I posted.....

As my father would say when I was storming off in a huff when things didn't go my way....

Don't let the door hit ya' where the good Lord split ya'!

You are going to do what you are going to do. If you are looking for me to beg you to stay, that's not going to happen. I think you are being a bit hasty in your retreat, but that's your choice.

As for being talked to by the mods, yes, I was talked to, but I am adult enough to know how to take the gentle direction that I was given.

Have a great life kiddo. ;)

Edited to add....I think that it stinks that you start this debate/conversation and then you can't be bothered to respond to the offered compromise option.

I reported myself to the mods because I knew that I had crossed a line. I have gotten points and a good talking too. Dad spanked my butt and I am ok with that. No worries. I am a big girl and know how to take gentle direction. ;)

After I posted.....

I reported myself to the mods because I knew that I had crossed a line. I have gotten points and a good talking too. Dad spanked my butt and I am ok with that. No worries. I am a big girl and know how to take gentle direction. ;)

I respect the way you handled this situation with the points and admiting to being a little too harsh. I have honestly been thinking for days how to respond to your posts because I really think you have a great handle on the reality of it all, but at the same time I did not agree with everything you said. I know that makes no sence, wish I could get my thoughts down, will keep trying LOL

I am a better person for having read this thread and heard the ideas of so many intelligent and caring people. I am proud to be a member of the Gay community that is here on the dis, you all are great examples of what we all are.

This board is a great thing , no matter what its called.

You rock Timon n pumba fan!

AS CSP (or at least i hope I am! :confused3 ) - I like the red version of the tag line. The green is good too but I think someone else said - keep it simple. I feel happy to be included in the 'friends' bit! :goodvibes

Look, I got fined points, I don't want to shoot my mouth off and get anymore. Yes, I was harsh on Tyler, but then again, I don't think that I would have said one thing differently even if that conversation had happened IRL....well, there would have been some cussing, but that's just me. :rotfl2:

Wow :confused:
I'm sorry you got points. It doesn't seem quite right.
I didn't agree with 100% of what you said - but I did agree with most.
And I didn't think you bludgeoned :headache: anyone.

The other great thing I think this thread demonstrates is -
the diversity within our community. I mean have you ever gotten
"Oh, have you met so-and-so, he's gay so you guys should get along great!
As if all you need is to be gay and shazam everything is simpatico :cloud9: :sad2:

I mean there are gay jerks as well. And we all can't arange flowers :flower3: -
but truthfully most of us can ;)

I am not too concerned about the points. I will be out of hot water by April 1st. I just have to be a good girl until then. Pray for me! :rotfl:

Look, I got fined points, I don't want to shoot my mouth off and get anymore.

Wow--I can't believe you got points! I'd just like to go down on the record saying that I appreciate the things you've said and they way you've expressed yourself. You usually said exactly what would have said, only usually more effectively.

I don't think tough love is inappropriate at all, but I'm not one for coddling. I don't think petulance and hurling labels (adultist :laughing: ) is the appropriate method for enacting change in the world--it certainly doesn't accomplish much besides irritating and alienating people who could have been allies.

It's not appropriate for me to advance an opinion on the actual issue at hand, but of the proposed tags, I think the green one is well phrased and covers all the bases.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter