Board Title (Please Read)

17 votes so far.

And yes there is a strong leader, but because I am in Florida, you never know when a hanging chad might throw the whole thing off!:lmao:

OK it's been a week and I have votes from 18 people. Last call on voting. I'll tally the results at midnight tonight, and then I will not seat your delegates! :rotfl2:

After I posted.....

I reported myself to the mods because I knew that I had crossed a line. I have gotten points and a good talking too. Dad spanked my butt and I am ok with that. No worries. I am a big girl and know how to take gentle direction. ;)

wow I left for a couple weeks and missed so much

Lindy you are a very honorable person to report yourself! wow. I haven't read far back enough yet to see why.

is there really a vote?

DIS-CLAIMER:
I make my comments not as a moderator on the DISBOARDS but as a frequent visitor and card-carrying freak-poster on THIS forum...

Anything that encourages understanding and acceptance and helps to make our community more inviting and inclusive to those who sometimes may feel 'left-out' ... I am all for that.

Growing up 'different' [however you define that/whatever it means to you] has turned out to be both and a blessing and a curse sometimes.. but being able to share and talk thru some of those downsides (and upsides!) with people who have been down that road is very helpful.

It can sometimes illuminate your own path...

It really can be a lifeline sometimes.

These boards can provide that illumination, that lifeline. And whether or not the mods choose to change the name, this discussion has been very educational for me. And information and education are as good a reason as any to have this discussion.

Well that, and I like learning stuff.

Invisible? Oh I don't think so! You are not invisible to me. :hug:

Thanks,

Knox

PS> The card I mentioned in the DIS-claimer.. does that get me a discount on anything? I'm just sayin.. ;)

After starting from the OP and getting to this post -
Two points - My mom had her issues (bi polar and such) but she taught us kids that all people deserve to be loved and respected we ALL have differences some that no one else knows about

~AND~

Anything that encourages understanding and acceptance... I am all for that ` ~~ I would buy the t shirt that says this :grouphug:

So do we have a winner??

Yes we do! :cool1:

But because this is Florida we have to run it by the Supreme Court (Viki and Rick) and de-hang some chads, and wait a few weeks before we know who it is!

Just kidding!

Drumroll please......

70.58 % of the people who voted prefer option #1!

This is a board for Gay, Lesbian, Bi and Transgender guests and their family and friends to share information on their Disney Experiences.

Sending it off to the higher-up's today to get their approval!

Thanks to all who voted! :thumbsup2

Well I just started reading this entire thread about 30 minutes ago (I've been away from the boards for a bit)....and I already sent PM's to Rick and Mike....but I now see that it was too late and the vote & open discussion is over. :confused3

And I had originally intended to not publicly post my thoughts here....but here goes anyway.

Tyler---I tried to send you a PM but that is not an option under your screen-name....but had I been able to do so that PM would have said that I was heartened and inspired by both your original post and by your resolve to stick around and defend it as long as you did. I agree whole-heartedly that bi and trans people have and deal with an array of issues that are distinct and yet connected to the experience of those of us who fall under the "G" and the "L"....and that the issue of how bi and trans people are respected and included in the overall LGBTIQA (how's THAT for some alphabet soup!? :lmao: ) community is an important one that plays out in our culture and should be addressed here in a board that was designed under the auspice of creating a safe space.

To the rest of the group/discussion----I'll just share that as a professional queer man who does direct training & education on LGBT issues and works with queer-identified youth & young adults...I was dismayed and disappointed by the way this entire thread played out. I think the treatment of both Tyler AND the issues he raised (which are, quite honestly, the voice of a generation of queer adolescents and young adults) was disheartening. My hope for a group like this is that it would not only be a place where LGBTQ adults...and allies and affirming parents (our "CSP's" :thumbsup2 ) can build community....but a place where queer youth who are active on the boards can engage in community, find mentorship and identify with adults who share their life experience and are respectful of it....a precious and rare commodity in the lives of too many queer youth.

As for the title and by-line of the group...I realize the decision is apparently made...and I don't want to open Pandora's proverbial box....but I guess I do feel strongly enough to publicly state my opinion on the issue here:

I firmly believe we SHOULD have taken Tyler's suggestion and made the board's header more inclusive.

Leaving the board's name the same and including only in the by-line BENEATH the header the letters B&T or the words "bisexual" & "transgender" inherently relegates these valuable members of our community to second-class....to being an afterthought.

I used the example in a PM to the moderators that I will share here. If the DIS wanted to create a board specific to the issue of people of color...and titled that board "Black/African-American at Disney" but then put in the by-line "A board for black, latino, asian, native american & other people of color to discuss the WDW experience" it would be clear that the title of the group did not adequately represent the rich diversity for which the group was created. If it is supposed to be by/for/about people of color---it should be CALLED people of color.

If our board is supposed to be by/for/about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, & Transgender persons and their allies....then our title should clearly and unapologetically state that.

Just my two cents....I'll go back to being quiet now:)

Just want to let everyone know the change has been made. It would have been done sooner but Mike linked me to the first post in the thread. It took me 45 minutes to figure out what a Queer FTM Transman was.
I'm a SMAWG myself

Just want to let everyone know the change has been made. It would have been done sooner but Mike linked me to the first post in the thread. It took me 45 minutes to figure out what a Queer FTM Transman was.
I'm a SMAWG myself

well you can't just say that without telling us what that means :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter