Boma…not sure what to think now after latest vid

Pete goes on his "high protein" diets on the regular... LOL
Honestly, Boma's strengths are not their meat dishes and that's all he was eating. I wouldn't read too much into that review from him. Craig enjoyed his meal! I mean how do you review a buffet like Boma and only eat meat and he doesn't eat seafood? Haha
I had a plethora of options as a keto lifestyle person. Keto isn't restrictive to just meat. And I know a few of the meat sauces are fine anyway because I simply asked what was in them 😅

But I also like salad, vegetables, fish, etc.
And I like to serve myself despite the germ risk(I sanitize at table before+after) because sometimes 90% of the item is fine but there is 1 thing in it id like to avoid and I can easily if I'm in control.

Family style i just end up not eating half of the skillet.
If they could give all the options and freedom of a buffet but bring it too you, id be thrilled. But none of them do because that isn't practical.

That is the rule and when we went a month ago they were enforcing it as well as anywhere I've seen on property, but that generally comes down to the cast members themselves so I'm sure its hit or miss on enforcement. We had a good night for it though.
That’s true. I was thinking this was my first buffet since Covid but just realized I’ve actually been to two (not at Disney) I’ll just bring some hand sanitizer. It’ll be my first time to Boma I’m excited to try it

What I'm gathering is that they had a pretty different experience than most of us have had since it reopened. That is interesting in and of itself. But I'm not deterred at all. I already booked to go back soon😆

Until I see a trend of negative, I'm not going to go off 1 review when everything else im seeing consistently is at least somewhat positive. Its usually pretty easy to identify a negative trend for a restaurant if you are active on Disney social media in general.

Last edited:
We went first time in November, it was fantastic. Lots of great tasting, well seasoned dishes, both mains and sides. Feel like Pete just had an issue with it being a buffet and then just carried it over to the food. He didn't have most to the best dishes. Its a typical Buffett setup but staff did a good job enforcing masks, lots of sanitizer, and changing out the serving spoons.

We planning on dining there again in the future.

That’s true. I was thinking this was my first buffet since Covid but just realized I’ve actually been to two (not at Disney) I’ll just bring some hand sanitizer. It’ll be my first time to Boma I’m excited to try it

Nothing to do with Boma, but always carry a small bottle with you. Many people counting on disney's dispensers find empty ones quite often or a crowd around one dispenser.

I think this falls under the heading of YMMV. Boma is a favorite. Went last month. Tusker House, on the other hand, is still the basis of a joke in my family, because we disliked it so much. Yet people love Tusker House. Different strokes.

All the places which changed to serve in skillets have gone downhill. We went to Ohana in Nov (family favorite second to Boma) which was the worst dining experience (worse than Space220-hard to cut bad cut of meat; took 2.5 hrs, little dietary accommodation; no birthday acknowledgement; missing special order dessert) in Nov. The cold hard steak brought in a skillet slathered in teriyaki? sauce. We filled up on cold noodles and potstickers (Good).

Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
All the places which changed to serve in skillets have gone downhill. We went to Ohana in Nov (family favorite second to Boma) which was the worst dining experience (worse than Space220-hard to cut bad cut of meat; took 2.5 hrs, little dietary accommodation; no birthday acknowledgement; missing special order dessert) in Nov. The cold hard steak brought in a skillet slathered in teriyaki? sauce. We filled up on cold noodles and potstickers (Good).

Be careful what you wish for.
I just want to say that I understand in one of the recent shows, they made it clear they prefer a traditional menu and service over family style and prefer family style over buffet.
I still found it really funny that they were trashing buffets and all saying "we prefer family style, family style is great, get rid of buffets" only to then ALL say they refuse to go back to sebastians bistro until it is no longer family style despite it being a favorite pre changes😅
I just thought that was a funny disconnect. Imo, the only family style places that are good are the ones that were designed that way in the first place and/or were not a covid change but an organic change pre covid(like garden grill)

I much prefer the buffets to the places with covid induced family style modifications right now. All of them have been subpar, as you said.

Had dinner here 3 weeks ago and it was great. Pretty much exactly how I remember it being.

I'm honestly sort of laughing at the dining channel at this point. Snack reviews are well made but totally useless considering the turnover on quick service items is so high. And the restaurant reviews just aren't the detailed thoughtful style anymore.

And I'm all for negative reviews. But as this thread illustrates, clearly they had a minority experience outside of the general reaction in recent months. Doesn't make their experience invalid, but the dismissive nature of the video and its tone were not the "fun" negative review we all like. It was just depressing.

Its so clear that they all prefer food off property. Which is totally fine. But they literally can't make a viable channel w/out doing disney/universal when it comes to dining. Nobody cares(at best its Niche AF) otherwise.

You hit the nail on the head. Probably a bit tacky to say this on their boards but I have to be honest, at this point All Ears (and DFB) has more useful food reviews to me. I still catch Craig’s videos but other than that…I don‘t enjoy them anymore. Pete specifically is just exhausting to listen to at this point when he goes on his Rants(tm), and I’m a jaded native New Yorker so that’s saying a lot.

You hit the nail on the head. Probably a bit tacky to say this on their boards but I have to be honest, at this point All Ears (and DFB) has more useful food reviews to me. I still catch Craig’s videos but other than that…I don‘t enjoy them anymore. Pete specifically is just exhausting to listen to at this point when he goes on his Rants(tm), and I’m a jaded native New Yorker so that’s saying a lot.

I still like Craig and Ryno dining videos, although they really need to find a way to shorten the videos/wrap them up faster. I mean, 15 minutes to talk about a sandwich is a bit much, especially since the reviews are generally all "it's okay, not great, I might get it again but probably not." I like the ones where it's the 2 of them.

But I agree Pete needs to just quit doing these if he is just going to complain about everything. It's tiresome.

I still like Craig and Ryno dining videos, although they really need to find a way to shorten the videos/wrap them up faster. I mean, 15 minutes to talk about a sandwich is a bit much, especially since the reviews are generally all "it's okay, not great, I might get it again but probably not." I like the ones where it's the 2 of them.

But I agree Pete needs to just quit doing these if he is just going to complain about everything. It's tiresome.
And its not because I don't want to hear things are bad. Tell me its bad and why.

I just also don't want to hear how amazing cruise ships and local off property dining (craig does the latter one too) are by comparison at the same time.

Its tiresome and useless. How many times do I have to hear how there is great German food off property thats better than biergarten but not actually have it featured beyond a mention maybe once.

I'll say this about tim tracker, he does strike a sustainable balance between promoting and featuring Disney/Universal stuff and also dining off those properties and featuring other places for either entertainment or food.

Or when he just went to Aulani and vlogged a coffee farm I had never heard of and not associated with Disney/Aulani. We ended up going and had a great experience. And then the staff told us about a rum distillery nearby. That was also great.
My point is, it seems like they don't have the traction to spend time on promoting/featuring local places beyond mentioning them vaguely a lot. Especially since they split off all these new channels. So they instead "eat on property as an obligation" and its becoming very samey. "It was just okay, pretty expensive for what you get, I didn't like this part. I'm glad I tried it but I probably won't get it again"
And the restaurant reviews used to feel so in depth. Where we really spent time to talk about each course. And good or bad reactions, they felt thorough. Then we got the in studio portion after the immediate emotional aspect was long gone where they discussed it again.
I love everyone on the team. Craig is actually my favorite. But maybe they need to rexamine what the dining channel should be.

I know I would NEVER have split it off on its own when there are giants out there like DFB Guide. The main channel lacks content now. And I think splitting off cruising and dvc and moving made sense. But dining? No way. Its too much of a news item directly tied to the parks and WDW weekly news.

I actually find the dining reviews I enjoy the most are Lou Mongello's WDW Radio podcasts. He has an enthusiasm about Disney and the Disney experience that is positive and uplifting. I also find he is honest - if he enjoyed something ( or not ) he will let you know why he felt that way.

We all know eating on property is expensive. However, if you are one of the millions each year who visit WDW and don't drive down that means you'll have to pay for daily resort parking and car rental or taxi/uber/lyft. You start adding that up - plus the value of our limited vacation time - and suddenly eating OFF property starts looking expensive. Sometimes they forget that their viewpoint is colored by the easy availability for them of both choices , onsite and offsite. My last trip was a perfect example. I drove my own vehicle to WDW, and stayed at a DVC property. This is the absolutely least expensive scenario - no rental or parking cost. And yet almost all my meals were on-site. Why? - because I valued my time and the experience as much or more than the cost of the meal. Yet with each meal I had on property I left feeling that I had received good value for my money and a pleasurable dining experience. This ranged from something as simple as a salad or ice cream at DHS, a candy bar at MK, or a dinner overlooking the fireworks at California Grill. In addition the few times I chose to drive to a dining venue it was an easy drive around property. I was there after Christmas through the New Years holiday - how much fun do you think I would have had driving around Orlando at that time ? o_O And I've driven many trips to WDW so I would say I'm more experienced doing that than the average vacationer.

I think there are some things they have lost sight of.

It's been years since we have been to Boma. Does anyone know if there is still a dish rotation and if so, what that is?

Yes. The dishes do get rotated. Our server told us that the Oxtail soup (loved it) gets rotated. He did say some other dishes rotate but I can’t recall which ones

And its not because I don't want to hear things are bad. Tell me its bad and why.

I just also don't want to hear how amazing cruise ships and local off property dining (craig does the latter one too) are by comparison at the same time.

Its tiresome and useless. How many times do I have to hear how there is great German food off property thats better than biergarten but not actually have it featured beyond a mention maybe once.

I'll say this about tim tracker, he does strike a sustainable balance between promoting and featuring Disney/Universal stuff and also dining off those properties and featuring other places for either entertainment or food.

Or when he just went to Aulani and vlogged a coffee farm I had never heard of and not associated with Disney/Aulani. We ended up going and had a great experience. And then the staff told us about a rum distillery nearby. That was also great.
My point is, it seems like they don't have the traction to spend time on promoting/featuring local places beyond mentioning them vaguely a lot. Especially since they split off all these new channels. So they instead "eat on property as an obligation" and its becoming very samey. "It was just okay, pretty expensive for what you get, I didn't like this part. I'm glad I tried it but I probably won't get it again"
And the restaurant reviews used to feel so in depth. Where we really spent time to talk about each course. And good or bad reactions, they felt thorough. Then we got the in studio portion after the immediate emotional aspect was long gone where they discussed it again.
I love everyone on the team. Craig is actually my favorite. But maybe they need to rexamine what the dining channel should be.

I know I would NEVER have split it off on its own when there are giants out there like DFB Guide. The main channel lacks content now. And I think splitting off cruising and dvc and moving made sense. But dining? No way. Its too much of a news item directly tied to the parks and WDW weekly news.

The German restaurant is Hollerbachs Willowtree Cafe in Sanford. It's AMAZING. But we do also enjoy Biergarten. We often try to hit Hollerbachs as we drive down.

I live local to Disneyland. The area is surrounded by FAR better dining options than you find on property, but when people on the boards ask for dining recommendations at DLR, I share my favorites at DLR. If they specifically ask for off property options, I'll share those too.

I never understood the stance of the DIS team that "this restaurant is okay, but there are better options offsite." Well, duh! It's a theme park resort, of course there are better/cheaper options in the surrounding local area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter