Bon Voyage breakfast - upselling to kids

I respect the opinions of the others, but here is mine. If you don't like Disney's servers offering your children options that cost extra without telling them what it costs or asking for your approval, then by all means, you should give that feedback to Disney.

I suppose Disney can "Upsell" if they want to, but if you don't like their tactics, you should tell them so. I personally hate always having to ask a server, "is that extra?" It hurts the company in the long run, IMO.

Now that you've had that experience, you will no doubt teach your children to ask if costs extra or be prepared to do it for them if they forget.

It's like the old saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

They fooled you once. Don't feel bad. You'll be ready for them next time. But it is sad that Disney has chosen to pursue a policy that makes their customers feel like they have to be "on guard" and that it is all on the customer to protect their wallets. And it is certainly your right to tell Disney that you don't enjoy being made to feel that way.

All OP had to do was read the menus sitting in front of her to know the cost of the lemonade. It's amazing how people can't take responsibility for their own actions.

A poster who has actually been there said lemonade in a regular cup is offered as an option (albeit not a favored one) for kids. If that's the case, it probably would have been better for the server to direct her question about the souvenir cup to the parent instead of the young child. In any event, it seems that everyone could have done a little better. Is all of the "this is on you," "you failed to do your job as a parent," you "can't take responsibility" for your own actions rhetoric really necessary? I understand having different opinions, and I'm well aware of how protective people are of Disney, but can't someone make a mistake or even be flat-out wrong without having to put up with those kinds of comments? It seems counterproductive to honest communication.

A poster who has actually been there said lemonade in a regular cup is offered as an option (albeit not a favored one) for kids. If that's the case, it probably would have been better for the server to direct her question about the souvenir cup to the parent instead of the young child. In any event, it seems that everyone could have done a little better. Is all of the "this is on you," "you failed to do your job as a parent," you "can't take responsibility" for your own actions rhetoric really necessary? I understand having different opinions, and I'm well aware of how protective people are of Disney, but can't someone make a mistake or even be flat-out wrong without having to put up with those kinds of comments? It seems counterproductive to honest communication.

I think the problem people are having with this post is the OP is asking if she should contact WDW and complain about this server when OP had all of the information in front of her regarding the cost of the lemonade in souvenir cups and had every opportunity to say they didn't want the souvenir cups. The server asked a question. The OP didn't respond. The server, IMHO, did nothing wrong and shouldn't have a complaint lodged against them because OP didn't open her mouth.

I think the problem people are having with this post is the OP is asking if she should contact WDW and complain about this server when OP had all of the information in front of her regarding the cost of the lemonade in souvenir cups and had every opportunity to say they didn't want the souvenir cups. The server asked a question. The OP didn't respond. The server, IMHO, did nothing wrong and shouldn't have a complaint lodged against them because OP didn't open her mouth.

No. No. No. This server played them all, and probably does so multiple times a day. The kids didn't know how much it was--so of course they are going to say yes. The parent shouldn't be put in the position to have to look like a jerk. Sorry--they shouldn't.

Reading this responses makes me crazy--the server was a jerk, and the parent would have looked like a jerk, too----if they would have stepped in. Sorry OP, you were put in a bad spot. I would call and not necessarily throw this server under the bus--but complain that servers should not be asking small children if they want to expensive drinks/cups.

To DW14--your comments have been really rude. The server definitely did something wrong.

That's your opinion - others feel differently. The point of my post is that you were able to state your opinion without accusing the OP of failing as a parent and not taking responsibility for her actions - or using the insulting "this is on you" phrase.

No. No. No. This server played them all, and probably does so multiple times a day. The kids didn't know how much it was--so of course they are going to say yes. The parent shouldn't be put in the position to have to look like a jerk. Sorry--they shouldn't.

Reading this responses makes me crazy--the server was a jerk, and the parent would have looked like a jerk, too----if they would have stepped in. Sorry OP, you were put in a bad spot. I would call and not necessarily throw this server under the bus--but complain that servers should not be asking small children if they want to expensive drinks/cups.

To DW14--your comments have been really rude. The server definitely did something wrong.

When there is NO mention on the menu of lemonade being anything but served in the extra charge souvenir cups, there is no reason to assume they are asking for them in regular cups. I suspect the reports of people being able to get it in regular cups are cases where people asked if they could get the lemonade without the cups - which is what should happen if something is listed only as an extra charge item which the lemonade clearly is.

I understand having different opinions, and I'm well aware of how protective people are of Disney, but can't someone make a mistake or even be flat-out wrong without having to put up with those kinds of comments? It seems counterproductive to honest communication.
Not when they're trying to blame someone else [a server] for their oversight. Making an oversight is fine. We all do it. But we shouldn't be looking for who to lodge the complaint against for our own oversights.

Last edited:

She wasn't asking small children if they wanted an expensive drink/cup. She was asking which expensive drink/cup they wanted. Because the only way to get lemonade is in an expensive cup. If I'm the server and the child is ordering lemonade, I'm going to figure the parent already said it was fine, because that's the only way it comes. But sure, I'd confirm which design of expensive cup they wanted, which is what happened here.

And, I don't think DW14 has been rude. Stating a difference of opinion doesn't make one rude.

Looking at those menus, it clearly says that the children's meals come with either milk or water or milk, water, or apple juice depending on which meal is ordered. The lemonade is listed separately as an ala carte item and states that it comes in the souvenir cup. It seems to me that the server did her job clarifying which cup your children wanted based on them ordering the lemonade. It's up to you as the parent to step in and say no thank you. I would think that would be more important if you really don't want them to have the extras than not wanting to seem like the "bad guy" to you children. I'm not sure why a comment would need to be made to Disney because the server did her job but you failed to do yours as a parent.

Not only is it the case on the menu at Bon Voyage, but most kids meals at Disney only come with the choice of "milk, water, apple juice" and the water and apple juice are usually small 8 ounce water bottles, or juice boxes, not larger drink bottles.

I haven't been rude at all. I have been in this situation NUMEROUS times as my DS also orders lemonade with kids meals and you HAVE to let the server know you want it in a REGULAR cup as that is NOT how it is listed on the menu. The server will ALWAYS ask if you want the souvenir cup. The server could be a jerk and not ask at all, but she didn't. The server was actually giving them an opportunity to downsize the order! As others have mentioned time and time again on this thread, the kids meals come with water, milk or apple juice. Yes, you CAN order lemonade, but you have to tell the server you don't want the souvenir cup. How is parenting and navigating a conversation between your 8 and 4 year old equal to looking like a jerk? It's called parenting. What is the server supposed to do? Lemonade is listed on the menu as costing $8. The parent, I assume, can read. The 8-year old, I assume, can read too. Nowhere on the menu does it list lemonade as an option OTHER than costing $8. What if she hadn't asked and had just brought the souvenir cup? OP would still be miffed. What if she assumed that they wanted the regular cup and brought that only to find she had disappointed children who had wanted the souvenir cup? This server was in a no win situation here. The ONLY way the server could know what cup they wanted is if she ASKED which she did. They do not ask this question if you order milk, water or apple juice, but if you order the $8 lemonade that is listed on the menu, it was COURTEOUS of the server to ask if that was what they really wanted and gave them an opportunity to say NO. So, if OP had ordered a cappuccino and the server hadn't mentioned the cost though it was clearly stated on the menu, would that be the server's fault, too? The OP apparently did not read the menu. It's not the server's fault.

Last edited:
She wasn't asking small children if they wanted an expensive drink/cup. She was asking which expensive drink/cup they wanted. Because the only way to get lemonade is in an expensive cup. If I'm the server and the child is ordering lemonade, I'm going to figure the parent already said it was fine, because that's the only way it comes. But sure, I'd confirm which design of expensive cup they wanted, which is what happened here.

And, I don't think DW14 has been rude. Stating a difference of opinion doesn't make one rude.

I have a very strong feeling that the people at Disney will read this thread and (after they've stopped laughing) will say something along the lines of "yeah, let's remind the servers to check with the parents before offering souvenir cups to kids." Disney sells enough of that stuff to people who are happy to buy it. They don't need the lack of goodwill that this sort of situation brings.

I have a very strong feeling that the people at Disney will read this thread and (after they've stopped laughing) will say something along the lines of "yeah, let's remind the servers to check with the parents before offering souvenir cups to kids." Disney sells enough of that stuff to people who are happy to buy it. They don't need the lack of goodwill that this sort of situation brings.
Again, the server wasn't offering it to the child. The menu did, before the child ordered it. There are photos posted in this thread of how it reads in the menu.

Again, the server wasn't offering it to the child. The menu did, before the child ordered it. There are photos posted in this thread of how it reads in the menu.
That is clearly in dispute for the reasons set out at ridiculous length above. My point is that I think Disney holds itself to higher standards than those set for it by the people here. Thank goodness for that.

Yes, let's let the standard for personal responsibility slip further and further away...
Okay lol I surrender. The OP did not actually have a negative experience because the server was trying to save her the cost of the cup by asking the child whether she wanted it, thereby affording the OP an opportunity to decline it. If the OP persists in the erroneous belief that she did in fact have a negative experience by paying for a cup she didn't want and having to lug it around the park, then it was her own fault because she was wrong in not speaking up, she unreasonably expected the server to care about her wallet, and she failed to properly read the menu to see that the lemonade comes in a specialty cup. Works every time.

I’ve been pushing my kids (4 and 8) to order for themselves in restaurants. We talk in advance about what they’re choosing, but I like them to tell the server what they’d like rather than talk through me.

We were at the Bon Voyage breakfast the other day and had a server completely take advantage of the situation. My 4yo ordered, and then my 8yo dd asked for lemonade, and the server asked if she wanted it in the Ariel cup. Well of course she did! And then asked if she wanted the Ariel glow straw. Well of course she did!

Then the server goes back to my 4yo and asks him if he wants the Pasquale glow straw. Basically, she just sells them $16 worth of garbage with no mention of the cost, and no glance in the parents’ direction.

Now I know that some of you will say that I should have stepped in with a firm “no thank you”, but I felt like i was put in a bad spot. One, if I’m teaching the kids to speak for themselves, I don’t want to step all over that, and two, I honestly didn’t want to risk the meltdown of telling tired, hungry children that they couldn’t have what the server just offered up. Honestly i was a little stunned by the whole thing, so I let it slide. I even thought “well maybe she is gifting these items to them since she approached it the way she did”, but no, there was the $16 in additional cup charges, that I then had to carry around the rest of the day.

Has this happened to you? Wondering if I should comment on it to Disney? The lady at the gift cart in the front was a little pushy with the kids, putting the Pasquale wristlet on them, etc, so maybe it’s the restaurant’s leadership that is pushing the upsell really hard.

Guess you learned you can't have it both ways! LOL They were definitely speaking for themselves!! Ours never had that type freedom at that age partly for that reason.

The parent told the children they could order. They had menus. They ordered. Even if the parent did not read the menu to see how the lemonade is served the minute the server asked about the cup and lights, the parent should have "parented" and said "Sorry Sally, we are not spending $8 for a cup" then turn to server and ask "Does the lemonade come in just a regular cup?" AND I would have asked if it includes refills .......... because if it didn't I would then tell my Sally she was having water to drink. Something most don't get enough of at the parks.

The server did not play anyone, they did their job. It's not the server's job to parent.

IF Disney read this thread they will pay no attention to it at all. They will shake their heads .......... because this was a communication problem between parent and child. The server did not offer the child a specialty cup ......... the child ordered one off the menu. The parent did not stop them or ask the server if it was available in a non-specialty cup.

When we would go out to eat, if my children are ordering, and I know the food is a wide range of price like $10-25 or $20-50 entrees ... I tell them what their budget is so they didn't go over. If I know a restaurant overcharges for soda I told them they were drinking water. My kids are grown and they still make budget friendly choices, still order water when the prices are high. They learned well.

Last edited:

It isn't counterproductive to honest communication. It is honest communication. There is nothing wrong with telling someone they think something is on them or they are responsible.

The parent told the children they could order. They had menus. They ordered. Even if the parent did not read the menu to see how the lemonade is served the minute the server asked about the cup and lights, the parent should have "parented" and said "Sorry Sally, we are not spending $8 for a cup" then turn to server and ask "Does the lemonade come in just a regular cup?" AND I would have asked if it includes refills .......... because if it didn't I would then tell my Sally she was having water to drink. Something most don't get enough of at the parks.

The server did not play anyone, they did their job. It's not the server's job to parent.

IF Disney read this thread they will pay no attention to it at all. They will shake their heads .......... because this was a communication problem between parent and child. The server did not offer the child a specialty cup ......... the child ordered one off the menu. The parent did not stop them or ask the server if it was available in a non-specialty cup.

When we would go out to eat, if my children are ordering, and I know the food is a wide range of price like $10-25 or $20-50 entrees ... I tell them what their budget it so they didn't go over. If I know a restaurant overcharges for soda I told them they were drinking water. My kids are grown and they still make budget friendly choices, still order water when the prices are high. They learned well.
This is a perfectly sensible position. I was the one who posted that a picture is worth 1,000 words and thought the menu settled it. The only thing that gave me pause was the fact that people who ate at this restaurant said that lemonade and other fountain drinks were available to kids as regular included drinks, even though they were (sensibly) not offered on the menu. If, and only if, the server was asking whether to bring the drink in a regular or souvenir glass, I feel the question should have been directed to the parent and not to a young child. Others feel differently, and I respect that position. Yes, the OP should have stepped in when things started going sideways, but if I had a dime for every time I thought of a better way to handle things after the fact, I'd be up there with Iger. I guess I'm just not comfortable with people concluding that the only way the child could have had lemonade was in a specialty glass and that the server was asking the child which of the two glasses she wanted. That's not what the OP reported. OP seems to be gone, and no one else knows exactly what happened.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter