Bon Voyage breakfast - upselling to kids

Yes, in context, I can see how that makes a big difference.

I'm sure the OP will appreciate that.

Just curious: Did you think people were commenting on OP's parenting skills outside of the matter discussed in this thread?

No. The whole basis of OP's thread is she wishes to teach her children to order for themselves and to speak up for themselves. In reality, whether the server did an upsell or not doesn't matter. Unless there is more to the story than she wrote, she didn't complete the teaching lesson. As soon as the server mentioned the specialty cup that OP clearly didn't want, she could have done so many different things to help her kids know how to handle this "upsell." But she didn't do that and wants to get a server in trouble for doing their job. Do the kids now know how to handle questions and suggestions from a server? No, they do not. So, yes, that is a failure on her part in something she told us she wants to teach her kids.

Yes, in context, I can see how that makes a big difference.

I'm sure the OP will appreciate that.

Just curious: Did you think people were commenting on OP's parenting skills outside of the matter discussed in this thread?

Absolutely not, we don't know anything about her parenting skills.

Actually OP's idea to let her children order on their own was a great teaching experience - had she followed through.

She knew what was happening, but didn't want to speak up .. "I honestly didn’t want to risk the meltdown of telling tired, hungry children that they couldn’t have what the server just offered up."

The server didn't offer anything up, she was trying to get the details for the drinks actually ordered off the menu, and that the parents seemed agreeable to by not saying anything.

Her children are young, many of us with older children, are just trying to help in explaining that her frustration was misdirected, that she should not call Disney. The end result could have been avoided had the lesson continued into the meal when the kids ordered something they had not previously discussed.

We've all been there, we've all messed up .... it's okay to mess up and okay to admit it .... it's not okay to blame someone else.

We've all been there. But the difference is that the OP was considering going a step further and complaining to Disney. I think if this had merely been a "buyer beware" post, it would have had a different reception.

THIS is the attitude I can't understand. ANY time I am unhappy at Disney, I have every right and ability to tell them so. In fact, Disney WANTS that. But apparently if you come on this board and ask if you should express to Disney that a certain situation made your experience less pleasant, you get 5 pages of rebuttal.

Whether the OP should have done things differently or not, should have seen things on the menu or not, should have known of options she has but aren't on the menu, or not, does not change the fact that she was unhappy with $16 of extra charges on the menu. She has every right to express her unhappiness. Personally, if lemonade NOT in souvenir cup is an option (which apparently it IS), I think that should be stated on the menu.

To be clear, I'm not talking about what the server did or didn't do. I'm talking about Disney policies and the rights of each of us to not like those polices and to say so. Why is that in dispute?

To be clear, I'm not talking about what the server did or didn't do. I'm talking about Disney policies and the rights of each of us to not like those polices and to say so. Why is that in dispute?

We're not disputing being unhappy, we're disputing the desire to write Disney and complain about the server. The server did NOTHING wrong, but if OP writes an email blaming the server, that server will get at least a reprimand, if not more. That's not okay when OP is the one who made the mistake.

Write an email with your displeasure that lemonade apparently only comes in a souvenir cup, but don't throw the server under the bus.

THIS is the attitude I can't understand. ANY time I am unhappy at Disney, I have every right and ability to tell them so. In fact, Disney WANTS that. But apparently if you come on this board and ask if you should express to Disney that a certain situation made your experience less pleasant, you get 5 pages of rebuttal.

Whether the OP should have done things differently or not, should have seen things on the menu or not, should have known of options she has but aren't on the menu, or not, does not change the fact that she was unhappy with $16 of extra charges on the menu. She has every right to express her unhappiness. Personally, if lemonade NOT in souvenir cup is an option (which apparently it IS), I think that should be stated on the menu.

Did anyone say that the OP has no right to complain? Instead I think the feeling from many was that she shouldn't. Plenty of situations deserve to be complained about. I just don't think this is one of them. The OP put the server in a bad situation by letting the kids order for themselves then choosing not to step in and help when clarification was needed.

But it isn't hard to understand when we live in a world where everyone wants to gain something by complaining.

We're not disputing being unhappy, we're disputing the desire to write Disney and complain about the server. The server did NOTHING wrong, but if OP writes an email blaming the server, that server will get at least a reprimand, if not more. That's not okay when OP is the one who made the mistake.

Write an email with your displeasure that lemonade apparently only comes in a souvenir cup, but don't throw the server under the bus.

I think this is a great point, and points out a common misunderstanding. Thank you.

I never suggested "throwing the server under the bus." I don't think the OP did either. (In my opinion.)

It is the POLICIES of Disney that we are talking about. The server is merely carrying out those policies. Lemonade can be purchased without the cup. (Multiple posts above make that clear.) The menu doesn't say that, but it is true. Disney policy is to withhold that information, but they will give you the lemonade without the extra cost of the cup if you ask. Disney Policy. The server is told to "ask which souvenir cup do you want?" Instead of "Do you want to pay $X extra for a souvenir cup." Disney Policy. It is like at Burger King when you ask for a combo and they ask you "Medium or Large?" The combo is available in the small size, but they don't mention that option, even though you are free to choose it. Company policy.

Disney is free to have whatever policies they want, and are free to train their servers to enact those policies. No doubt it brings them lots of money. But I (and others) are free to not like those policies, and we are free to tell Disney about it.

This doesn't have to get the server in trouble. Why would the name of the server even be mentioned? It is the POLICY that many find objectionable, and pointing out objectionable policies is a good thing for consumers to do.

I think this is a great point, and points out a common misunderstanding. Thank you.

I never suggested "throwing the server under the bus." I don't think the OP did either. (In my opinion.)

It is the POLICIES of Disney that we are talking about. The server is merely carrying out those policies. Lemonade can be purchased without the cup. (Multiple posts above make that clear.) The menu doesn't say that, but it is true. Disney policy is to withhold that information, but they will give you the lemonade without the extra cost of the cup if you ask. Disney Policy. The server is told to "ask which souvenir cup do you want?" Instead of "Do you want to pay $X extra for a souvenir cup." Disney Policy. It is like at Burger King when you ask for a combo and they ask you "Medium or Large?" The combo is available in the small size, but they don't mention that option, even though you are free to choose it. Company policy.

Disney is free to have whatever policies they want, and are free to train their servers to enact those policies. No doubt it brings them lots of money. But I (and others) are free to not like those policies, and we are free to tell Disney about it.

This doesn't have to get the server in trouble. Why would the name of the server even be mentioned? It is the POLICY that many find objectionable, and pointing out objectionable policies is a good thing for consumers to do.

But you have to request that lemonade be in a regular cup. It is ONLY on the menu as in the extra cup. Therefore if you just order lemonade, the default IS the souvenir cup. That is the default setting for the lemonade. If it was intended to be an option without the cup it would be listed as such - it is not, therefore you have to ask for a regular cup if you do not want the item as listed.

I have no issue at all with complaining about the policy, or about how it's listed on the menu. But read the OP again. I think the OP did intend to throw the OP under the bus.

I’ve been pushing my kids (4 and 8) to order for themselves in restaurants. We talk in advance about what they’re choosing, but I like them to tell the server what they’d like rather than talk through me.

We were at the Bon Voyage breakfast the other day and had a server completely take advantage of the situation. My 4yo ordered, and then my 8yo dd asked for lemonade, and the server asked if she wanted it in the Ariel cup. Well of course she did! And then asked if she wanted the Ariel glow straw. Well of course she did!

Then the server goes back to my 4yo and asks him if he wants the Pasquale glow straw. Basically, she just sells them $16 worth of garbage with no mention of the cost, and no glance in the parents’ direction.

Now I know that some of you will say that I should have stepped in with a firm “no thank you”, but I felt like i was put in a bad spot. One, if I’m teaching the kids to speak for themselves, I don’t want to step all over that, and two, I honestly didn’t want to risk the meltdown of telling tired, hungry children that they couldn’t have what the server just offered up. Honestly i was a little stunned by the whole thing, so I let it slide. I even thought “well maybe she is gifting these items to them since she approached it the way she did”, but no, there was the $16 in additional cup charges, that I then had to carry around the rest of the day.

Has this happened to you? Wondering if I should comment on it to Disney? The lady at the gift cart in the front was a little pushy with the kids, putting the Pasquale wristlet on them, etc, so maybe it’s the restaurant’s leadership that is pushing the upsell really hard.

The title of the thread is "upselling to kids." That sounds like an accusation towards the server to me, and I assume the email would have been directed toward the server. As mom2rtk points out, OP says the server took advantage of them. THAT is why so many of us are upset with OP and hoping they don't send an email getting the server in trouble.

As I said, YES, if you object to the policy, send an email, try to affect change to help those who come behind you. And sometimes it is a CM issue, but this one wasn't.

Well this is already 5 pages but I'm finishing up lunch, so I'll throw my $0.02 in.

If you're going to order something that isn't explicitly stated in a certain way on the menu but that you're pretty sure is available that way through Disney, it's up to you to ask.

So if lemonade is only listed with souvenir cup on the menu but read here that you can get it in a standard cup too, it's still up to you to say "can I have a lemonade as my regular beverage for the kid's meal without the souvenir cup?"

if you misread the menu, it is not the server's fault for not reading your mind and offering you the option you REALLY wanted when it was stated on the menu a certain way. The server did nothing wrong.

For those who think telling your kids "no" about something at Disney is being a jerk... that pretty much explains why so many people are being raised into entitled adults... telling my kid no is my job as a parent. Sometimes I choose not to for whatever reason but I will never blame someone else for putting me in the position of having to parent. I make my son earn his vacation spending money doing chores leading up to the trip and I found on my very first trip with him when he was 6 that the notion that it had to come out of HIS EARNED spending money put an end to the constant "I wants" that began on the first day. It is super effective.

So in this situation I probably would have said "that souvenir cup is $8, do you want to spend your money on it?" although that might be a big abstract for a 4 year old. But it is also possible in that situation that I would have not read the kids menu carefully, not been thinking about the upcharge, not have discussed the upcharge in advance with my son, and just let it slide... because it's vacation and sometimes a few bucks is not worth worrying about. But it's still not the server's fault, it's my decision in the moment and maybe in retrospect I would have wanted to do it better (I was a ROCKIN' parent before I actually had my son and ALWAYS knew EXACTLY what to do in every situation!) but crap happens and you move on. Sometimes I'm tired and distracted too, especially at Disney.

All that said, to answer the OP, it doesn't sound like the server did something wrong. I let my son order too (and boy how embarrassing when one day after a particularly stressful work day we went to the local mexican place and when asked what he wanted to drink he said "I'll have a chocolate milk and I think my mom could really use a margarita!" COMPLETELY unsolicited by me... btw as cute as it was, I took that moment to say "actually no thank you, I'll just have a water" because one of the margaritas there renders me unable to drive, and because I'm the adult there!) but if he gets an unexpected question that he doesn't know the answer to, I will step in. And next time he will know and say "I would like the lemonade to drink if I can get it in just a regular cup." Because that is how kids learn. It's not a big deal.

My son is on the spectrum and has a hard time when things he expected one way shifts to another way but even he would not have too much of a problem with having a souvenir cup offered and then a discussion with me that ends with him not getting it. If your kid is going to melt down about being offered an ariel cup that they didn't expect in the first place and then having it taken away before they even got it, there is something else going on there. If my autistic son could handle this, most neurotypical kids should be able to also. But if I knew something like this would be a trigger for him, I'd be super vigilant about it and make sure I understood how it was going to go at ordering time and we were prepared, or I'd suck up and deal with paying the $8 per cup for peace on vacation if it was something I missed. I've paid more for less tons of times! Expecting a waitress to know your kid can't handle being told "no" about a souvenir cup once it's been offered is kind of a high expectation!

Last edited:
Well this is already 5 pages but I'm finishing up lunch, so I'll throw my $0.02 in.

If you're going to order something that isn't explicitly stated in a certain way on the menu but that you're pretty sure is available that way through Disney, it's up to you to ask.

So if lemonade is only listed with souvenir cup on the menu but read here that you can get it in a standard cup too, it's still up to you to say "can I have a lemonade as my regular beverage for the kid's meal without the souvenir cup?"

if you misread the menu, it is not the server's fault for not reading your mind and offering you the option you REALLY wanted when it was stated on the menu a certain way. The server did nothing wrong.

For those who think telling your kids "no" about something at Disney is being a jerk... that pretty much explains why so many people are being raised into entitled adults... telling my kid no is my job as a parent. Sometimes I choose not to for whatever reason but I will never blame someone else for putting me in the position of having to parent. I make my son earn his vacation spending money doing chores leading up to the trip and I found on my very first trip with him when he was 6 that the notion that it had to come out of HIS EARNED spending money put an end to the constant "I wants" that began on the first day. It is super effective.

So in this situation I probably would have said "that souvenir cup is $8, do you want to spend your money on it?" although that might be a big abstract for a 4 year old. But it is also possible in that situation that I would have not read the kids menu carefully, not been thinking about the upcharge, not have discussed the upcharge in advance with my son, and just let it slide... because it's vacation and sometimes a few bucks is not worth worrying about. But it's still not the server's fault, it's my decision in the moment and maybe in retrospect I would have wanted to do it better (I was a ROCKIN' parent before I actually had my son and ALWAYS knew EXACTLY what to do in every situation!) but crap happens and you move on. Sometimes I'm tired and distracted too, especially at Disney.

All that said, to answer the OP, it doesn't sound like the server did something wrong. I let my son order too (and boy how embarrassing when one day after a particularly stressful work day we went to the local mexican place and when asked what he wanted to drink he said "I'll have a chocolate milk and I think my mom could really use a margarita!" COMPLETELY unsolicited by me... btw as cute as it was, I took that moment to say "actually no thank you, I'll just have a water" because one of the margaritas there renders me unable to drive, and because I'm the adult there!) but if he gets an unexpected question that he doesn't know the answer to, I will step in. And next time he will know and say "I would like the lemonade to drink if I can get it in just a regular cup." Because that is how kids learn. It's not a big deal.

My son is on the spectrum and has a hard time when things he expected one way shifts to another way but even he would not have too much of a problem with having a souvenir cup offered and then a discussion with me that ends with him not getting it. If your kid is going to melt down about being offered an ariel cup that they didn't expect in the first place and then having it taken away before they even got it, there is something else going on there. If my autistic son could handle this, most neurotypical kids should be able to also. But if I knew something like this would be a trigger for him, I'd be super vigilant about it and make sure I understood how it was going to go at ordering time and we were prepared, or I'd suck up and deal with paying the $8 per cup for peace on vacation if it was something I missed. I've paid more for less tons of times! Expecting a waitress to know your kid can't handle being told "no" about a souvenir cup once it's been offered is kind of a high expectation!

AMEN. Love the bolded part too!

Here here. I think this is like the mic drop on this thread.

But you have to request that lemonade be in a regular cup. It is ONLY on the menu as in the extra cup. Therefore if you just order lemonade, the default IS the souvenir cup. That is the default setting for the lemonade. If it was intended to be an option without the cup it would be listed as such - it is not, therefore you have to ask for a regular cup if you do not want the item as listed.

If this is true, then the server did the family a favor by asking if they wanted the souvenir cup. If lemonade is only listed on the menu as coming in the souvenir cup with a price listed, the server could have not said anything and would have been perfectly justified in bringing the lemonade in the souvenir cup. Sounds like the server was trying to help the family avoid any unwanted extra expense.

If this is true, then the server did the family a favor by asking if they wanted the souvenir cup. If lemonade is only listed on the menu as coming in the souvenir cup with a price listed, the server could have not said anything and would have been perfectly justified in bringing the lemonade in the souvenir cup. Sounds like the server was trying to help the family avoid any unwanted extra expense.

Yep. Or verify which cup the kids wanted.

But there's no "if" about it being true. People have posted pictures of the menu in this thread. Lemonade is ONLY listed as an option with the souvenir cups.

I just want to say that I think the OP was informative. I wouldn’t have thought two lemonades in souvenir cups could set you back $16.

I will be very careful about ordering drinks for my great nieces in the spring. They aren’t old enough yet to place an order, but I could envision a server pulling the same scam on an adult.

No, the menu was, and still is informative. It says $8 for lemonade in souvenir cups right on the menu.

I don't think anyone is going to change anybody's mind after all this discussion. It seems like the complaint threads follow a format: the OP posts a complaint, gets yelled at and leaves the thread, then the same group of people argue with each other until they get bored or the thread is closed. I thought most of the comments posted here were thoughtful, worthwhile and informative. Sometimes you just can't get other people to see things your way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter