Book Now or Wait?

AtlantaDisneyDreamer

DIS Veteran
I was looking at cruises for September of 2018 and we can get a 4 night cruise (Disney Dream) for $3090 for 4 people (inside stateroom). That seems high to me since the last 4 night cruise we took (first week of December) with Disney (4 years ago) was $3000 for 5 people (two rooms).

Have cruise prices gone up that much? Did we just get a steal of deal when we went in December?

Is it a good idea to go ahead and book soon (we have a set week we can go), or should we wait for falling prices?

I thought September during hurricane season should be lower-priced, but maybe it is lower-priced than other times.

Thanks!

Book now, as prices are only likely to climb. It's possible that a cruise that time of year may get a GT rate, but that won't be released until after the paid in full date.

September also begins the Halloween on the High Seas 'specialty' cruise season as well. I won't go back and try and compare cruise rates to 4 years ago, but yes, generally rates have been increasing. People have reportedly seen prices go up as much as $1,000 for the same cruise a year later.

September also begins the Halloween on the High Seas 'specialty' cruise season as well. I won't go back and try and compare cruise rates to 4 years ago, but yes, generally rates have been increasing. People have reportedly seen prices go up as much as $1,000 for the same cruise a year later.

The one we are looking at is a Halloween cruise. Looks like fun.

Yes, this one is quite a bit more, but I think we also did the special last minute rate when we did the December cruise. It was $399 per adult, and less for the kids. This one is about twice that.

May need to go ahead and book if we really want to go. I compared it to a 4 night stay at WDW with tickets for four and the dining plan and the parks vacation was quite a bit more.

Of course, Royal Caribbean is a lot cheaper even for a five night cruise, but the dates are not as convenient. Decisions decisions.

I book as soon as I can because we always have to fly. So last minute cruise deals are canceled out by higher airfares. If you can drive, you have much more flexibility.

The one we are looking at is a Halloween cruise. Looks like fun.

Yes, this one is quite a bit more, but I think we also did the special last minute rate when we did the December cruise. It was $399 per adult, and less for the kids. This one is about twice that.

May need to go ahead and book if we really want to go. I compared it to a 4 night stay at WDW with tickets for four and the dining plan and the parks vacation was quite a bit more.

Of course, Royal Caribbean is a lot cheaper even for a five night cruise, but the dates are not as convenient. Decisions decisions.

I'm totally with you. We do have October 2018 booked with DCL, but were looking at booking for October of this year (I write my PhD comprehensive exams the last week of September, so either I'll be drowning my sorrows or celebrating... hahahaha). DCL and Royal Caribbean both have 5 day Bermuda cruises from New York/New Jersey on the same week, but DCL was more than double with Royal Caribbean's current 60% off the second guest deal. I was a little sad to make that call, but it wasn't particularly hard. :rotfl2:

I'm totally with you. We do have October 2018 booked with DCL, but were looking at booking for October of this year (I write my PhD comprehensive exams the last week of September, so either I'll be drowning my sorrows or celebrating... hahahaha). DCL and Royal Caribbean both have 5 day Bermuda cruises from New York/New Jersey on the same week, but DCL was more than double with Royal Caribbean's current 60% off the second guest deal. I was a little sad to make that call, but it wasn't particularly hard. :rotfl2:
So you went ahead and booked with RC? Bermuda sounds awesome. It is tough for us to do Bermuda since we have two younger daughters and we have to fly all four of us NY (or NE) to do Bermuda. Since we only want to use ports to which we can drive to save all of that airfare, we are stuck with Mexico and the Bahamas (I know I know- first world problems).

Getting that PhD is an ambitious undertaking! Good luck and here's to a well-deserved celebratory cruise in October '18!

I book as soon as I can because we always have to fly. So last minute cruise deals are canceled out by higher airfares. If you can drive, you have much more flexibility.

We drive. But what limits us is our time frame. We are planning with this another couple and their daughter and all three kids are in school and both of us moms are teachers, so we have a set week we can travel. There just aren't a lot of cruises that fit our schedule. In fact, there seems to be exactly one.

So if we wait until the last minute, we risk not going at all. Which may not be that bad. There is always WDW.

My TA told us the sooner we book the cheaper it will be. We just booked last week for November 2018. Even in the few days it took my husband to look at itineraries and discuss things the price of the cruise we picked went up $80.

If you are driving, are you guys Florida residents? I booked a cruise for two back in May for this September in an inside stateroom. After the paid in full date, they released the Florida resident room rates.After calling DCL to switch to the resident rate, I am now upgraded to a veranda stateroom AND I got refunded $400.

In other words if you are FL residents, it doesn't hurt to book it now and see if they release resident rates that you can switch to and save more money down the line.

I was looking at cruises for September of 2018 and we can get a 4 night cruise (Disney Dream) for $3090 for 4 people (inside stateroom). That seems high to me since the last 4 night cruise we took (first week of December) with Disney (4 years ago) was $3000 for 5 people (two rooms).

Have cruise prices gone up that much? Did we just get a steal of deal when we went in December?

Is it a good idea to go ahead and book soon (we have a set week we can go), or should we wait for falling prices?

I thought September during hurricane season should be lower-priced, but maybe it is lower-priced than other times.

Thanks!
Are you in the Atlanta area? I'm assuming yes because of your name :-) I'm from Metro ATL, and we are sailing during my daughter's Fall Break from school... I was just curious if you were sailing in the same time frame.

Thanks!

Wow! That does feel expensive!! We are going on 7-night Fantasy this September and it is right at $3,500 per stateroom, oceanview (two connecting rooms with 2 people in each room, so we are paying a 50% penalty, basically, for all 4 of us not being in one room).

Are you in the Atlanta area? I'm assuming yes because of your name :-) I'm from Metro ATL, and we are sailing during my daughter's Fall Break from school... I was just curious if you were sailing in the same time frame.
North Metro area. Hello, neighbor.

Last week of September for us. You too?

Booking sooner is better, as prices go up. Also, you can always cancel and get your full refund back as long as you cancel before you're in the 3 month window.

If you are driving, are you guys Florida residents? I booked a cruise for two back in May for this September in an inside stateroom. After the paid in full date, they released the Florida resident room rates.After calling DCL to switch to the resident rate, I am now upgraded to a veranda stateroom AND I got refunded $400.

In other words if you are FL residents, it doesn't hurt to book it now and see if they release resident rates that you can switch to and save more money down the line.

So even after paid in full date if there is a FL Resident rate available you can change? Good to know your experience. What site do you watch to check for FL discounts? Thanks

Like the paid advertisement for <insert famous as seen on tv product> says

Don't Delay Contact Today!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter