BREXIT......How do you feel Brits? Excited??

I agree that is very telling, but be careful because according to a few posters on this thread, and despite the relatively close vote, EVERYBODY wanted to leave and to imply it has to do with educational level or academic achievement is elitist. I don't know what other conclusions can be drawn from such black and white data, but just a heads up that some who voted to leave do not seem to appreciate the statistical analysis.
If you are referring to my post I believe you may have misread it - the implication was that those who voted to leave didn't really mean to - my comment was that was incorrect.

I don't think the statistics are made up. Exit poll data is extremely useful. What they do show is that there are significant economic, educational and generational divisions in the UK. The vote certainly wasn't a landslide. It seems as if there will be rocky days ahead as the country absorbs this huge change and tries to negotiate an exit with a hostile EU. It will be interesting to see, when all is said and done, how those who voted to leave feel about the reality of the separation. How many of the promises made in terms of more money for the NHS and a slow down on immigration will actually happen. Its a big bet.

The vote was 52% to leave and 48% to stay. You keep posting as if everyone voted to leave, and that's just not true. Exit data is an important tool, it won't change the outcome, but there's value to knowing the demographics. For example, look at the voting in Scotland, they voted overwhelmingly to stay. What happens if they do vote to leave the UK? Is the EU a better economic deal for them? I don't know, but they should have the right to vote for the best direction of their country.

So, I know that the vote went the way the you wanted it to, so I am curious as to how you see the negotiations going. I do worry about the outcome of the negotiations because I have family that is in financial sector, and because I worry about the overall effect on the global markets (which concern me directly).

The 'stay' camp must accept the results, that's the way voting works, but not everyone is overjoyed and celebrating.

No, I am honestly well aware how many voted to remain, I do realise how close it was. What I have been saying is almost every single person I know voted to leave. I also have a large family and lots of friends still in Scotland.......they all voted leave too.......they were in the minority there. Of course I know not everyone is celebrating.

Scotland have their own issues. Will the EU accept them?? Nothing is guaranteed going by what the pundits say.......watched an economics expert say earlier a lot about that. Nothing is guaranteed.

As for the future, well........after the Second World War Europe changed dramatically. In the late 80's early 90's it changed again, dramatically. As someone who was at The Berlin Wall the night it came down I can say I see hope. Things don't stay the same forever.

I have worries same as anyone, but I truly believe this is the best option for us.

We are still going to trade with Europe.........my husband's business is based in Saudi, but has places in Europe too........nothing much will change from their perspective.

We are all affected financially when anything major happens in the worlds economy.........but you don't stand still and let yourself be dictated to by, again, mostly unelected beaurocrats.

It is divisive and to some complicated and we couldn't possibly go into every single issue on a forum like this........but I don't think anyone voted lightly, well there are always exceptions.

I can only speak of my feelings and those of many friends and colleagues from all over.

I don't think the statistics are made up. Exit poll data is extremely useful. What they do show is that there are significant economic, educational and generational divisions in the UK. The vote certainly wasn't a landslide. It seems as if there will be rocky days ahead as the country absorbs this huge change and tries to negotiate an exit with a hostile EU. It will be interesting to see, when all is said and done, how those who voted to leave feel about the reality of the separation. How many of the promises made in terms of more money for the NHS and a slow down on immigration will actually happen. Its a big bet.

So do you do nothing and just accept all the crap the EU throws at us??? Unless you are in the UK and see the effects of all the laws and issues they have instilled in our country you really don't know.

I don't believe most MPs at he best of times.........

It certainly wasn't a landslide.........most people aren't expecting sunshine and lollipops..........but realistically we are optimistic of some kind of change.

I'm big enough and ugly enough to accept responsibility for my vote. But I do wonder how many one here would accept the same things thrown at them if they were in the same boat.

The Telegraph today indicated that 70% of those who voted to remain had graduated university whereas 2/3rds of those who voted to leave had not completed school past age 16.

Either the Telegraph is clueless or you misinterpreted the results they reported.

There's no chance that 35% (2/3rds of 52%) of adults in the UK have no schooling beyond age 16.

but just a heads up that some who voted to leave do not seem to appreciate the statistical analysis.

Not "statistical analysis" that is just made up by angry people on the wrong side of the vote and has no basis in fact.

The vote was 52% to leave and 48% to stay. You keep posting as if everyone voted to leave, and that's just not true. Exit data is an important tool, it won't change the outcome, but there's value to knowing the demographics. For example, look at the voting in Scotland, they voted overwhelmingly to stay. What happens if they do vote to leave the UK? Is the EU a better economic deal for them? I don't know, but they should have the right to vote for the best direction of their country.

So, I know that the vote went the way the you wanted it to, so I am curious as to how you see the negotiations going. I do worry about the outcome of the negotiations because I have family that is in financial sector, and because I worry about the overall effect on the global markets (which concern me directly).

The 'stay' camp must accept the results, that's the way voting works, but not everyone is overjoyed and celebrating.
Scotland had an independence vote recently and voted to remain in the UK. Their economic situation has worsened considerably since then so I think they will only talk about another one, not actually request it.
The negotiations will last about two years and the status quo continues throughout that period. The UK has a huge balance of payments deficit with the EU and it is unlikely that they will demand tariffs that will affect their own trade and jobs.
The UK financial sector does more business with the rest of the world than it does with the EU so job transfers and job losses are expected to be minimal.

One possible repercussion from Brexit to look out for is the general election in Spain tomorrow . Will support for the anti establishment parties like Unidas Podemos be emboldened by the British vote?

ford family

Either the Telegraph is clueless or you misinterpreted the results they reported.

There's no chance that 35% (2/3rds of 52%) of adults in the UK have no schooling beyond age 16.

Actually if many of these are older people, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It wouldn't have been unusual in my parents' generation.

One statistic I found very interesting was how the vote broke down. The young voting to remain and the old voting to leave has been well documented. The Telegraph today indicated that 70% of those who voted to remain had graduated university whereas 2/3rds of those who voted to leave had not completed school past age 16.
Again I don't wish to be challenging but don't believe everything you read in the media. If you are in the US you may also not be aware of the fact certain newspapers here serve a certain demographic.
Obviously I don't personally know all the 17 million plus who voted leave but I was lucky enough to go to an excellent Grammar School and further education. In addition to a previous post on the range of age, employment and education of leave voters I know I can honestly tell you of those I know who voted remain - 1 now lives in Spain, 2 have homes in France, 2 work in academia (1 in Edinburgh and 1 in Manchester) and 1 works in finance in London. I wonder what other UK posters have found with regard to these statements about the demographic of leave voters?

Actually if many of these are older people, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. It wouldn't have been unusual in my parents' generation.

That 35% would also jump significantly unless you are assuming that NOBODY with no schooling past 16 voted to remain. Realistically, that percentage would have to be at least 50%.

If over half of adults in the UK have no education past 16, the system is broken. Not only should they get out of the EU, but they should remove every incumbent from office and start over.

Dear US friends please don't believe everything you see in the media. The majority of people wanted to leave because we have knowledge of living under the EU umbrella and the effects on our country. We voted to leave. We are happy we are now planning to leave. Please don't insult us by believing that what a handful of people claim was a misguided vote is the feelings of MILLIONS of us. Neither should you believe it was the vote of the elderly. From the apprentice hairdressers at my local salon, to my postman, owners of their own companies, employees of international companies, with degrees, without degrees, from 19 to 90 - LEAVE was our choice. End of.

Although we might not know the specifics, I think some of us from the US can completely understand how people from the UK would become dissatisfied and want to leave EU. Those in power may predict gloom and doom for the ones under their control to become independent, but I think things have a way of working out and the world won't crumble. I know the media can be biased and slanted. I wish you well! Let freedom ring.

The UK does things differently than the US. Their compulsory education ends at age 16. "Sixth form" which is additional schooling for college bound students is available for children age 16-18. England, as of 1997 has extended the age for compulsory education to age 18 for children born after 1997, but parents have the option to "home school" the final 2 years.

The UK does things differently than the US. Their compulsory education ends at age 16. "Sixth form" which is additional schooling for college bound students is available for children age 16-18. England, as of 1997 has extended the age for compulsory education to age 18, but parents have the option to "home school" the final 2 years.

I think it is far more likely that someone is just twisting the data to try and make a point.

This is absolutely possible. Many people that I went to school with completed their GCSEs and then didn't continue on to complete A-levels/university - I am the only one of my 5 siblings that did.

This is absolutely possible. Many people that I went to school with completed their GCSEs and then didn't continue on to complete A-levels/university - I am the only one of my 5 siblings that did.

I'll believe it when I see the actual voting data from a legit news source.

... or a link to the Telegraph article.

Again I don't wish to be challenging but don't believe everything you read in the media. If you are in the US you may also not be aware of the fact certain newspapers here serve a certain demographic.
Obviously I don't personally know all the 17 million plus who voted leave but I was lucky enough to go to an excellent Grammar School and further education. In addition to a previous post on the range of age, employment and education of leave voters I know I can honestly tell you of those I know who voted remain - 1 now lives in Spain, 2 have homes in France, 2 work in academia (1 in Edinburgh and 1 in Manchester) and 1 works in finance in London. I wonder what other UK posters have found with regard to these statements about the demographic of leave voters?

Very similar findings.

A group of our friends live and work in Holland......who are now pushing for a similar referendum........I have 4 friends who have homes in Spain, and 2 other friends both have businesses in Paris. I have family in Germany who believe the UK gets a rough deal.........they would exit the EU if they could too. There is a lot of discontent out here, again despite what is published within certain media outlets.

All but one voted leave.

"Some" people seem to be believing everything they read.......that suits them to believe anyway.

Someone questioned motives earlier........I have none, everyone is entitled to their opinion........but not entitled to make sweeping statements that have gone earlier that we are somehow stupid.

We can only speak as we find. I for one never try and influence anyone in politics.........my right may not be your right........I don't have all the answers.........seems some to think they do though.

To our American friends.......

Imagine you have a business and are told by some unelected beaurocrats in Canada you can't do business the way you have for the last 20 years.

You have a fruit and vegetable store and are told you can't buy from the same guy who has been supplying you with cucumbers for 15 of those years because his home grown chemical free cucumbers are not straight to the nth degree.........

You have to change your way of selling in measurements..........you can't run your business the way you want or have done successfully for 20 years or you'll get a massive fine as you will be breaching European law and guidelines.............

This sounds piffling and not very important.........there are thousands of other examples of laws and regulations the EU have imposed on us. If I quoted others I would be accused of being racist.

Would you like to be told you cannot fly your American flag either on your property or in your town centre in case you upset xxxx people???

Curious to hear your thoughts..........

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter