Bringing snacks from home

We drive so we always have snacks from home or Target. We also bring our electrical kettle, disposable bowls and spoons to eat instant oatmeal in the room. Saves money AND time as it is much faster to have the kids eat while we get prepared for rope-drop.

If I was driving, then yes, I would bring those types of things.

Now that POP has coffee in rooms, using that hot water for instant oatmeal. My dd loves the stuff, so why not save some cash for couple of mornings.
Takes no room in the luggage out of the box. This quick trip will be the only thing we take. We have brought a lot more when driving.

Now that POP has coffee in rooms, using that hot water for instant oatmeal. My dd loves the stuff, so why not save some cash for couple of mornings.
Takes no room in the luggage out of the box. This quick trip will be the only thing we take. We have brought a lot more when driving.

hmm, this is a good idea too. Just bring some disposal bowls and spoons. It would definitely make mornings easier.

Yes. When we flew southwest out of the USA we packed a lot of stuff since we had two free bags and didn't need to worry about crossing border with certain foods (Like oranges).

The last trip from Canada I packed some breakfast stuff like cereal, granola/energy bars, trail mix, bagels. In my carry-on I packed some fresh stuff like apples and carrots, celery, cheese. I always pack home made muffins or banana bread. That's just a staple trip food in our family. Lol
How were you able to carry fresh stuff through Customs into the US - we have a hard time even driving in our MH where they ask if we're bringing in fruits, vegetables or meat? We usually do our groceries for those products after we cross the border.

How were you able to carry fresh stuff through Customs into the US - we have a hard time even driving in our MH where they ask if we're bringing in fruits, vegetables or meat? We usually do our groceries for those products after we cross the border.
You are allowed fruits vegetables and meats..it's just certain ones you aren't allowed and it differs depending on what's going on. (Ie mad cow scare...no beef etc). No citrus for sure off top of my head but we cross the border regularly and camp and I check the list of what's allowed. And I always declare everything. Often I pre cook meat to be safe.

Any time we cross the border or go through customs I declare everything we have of an ingestible nature (even a granola/chocolate bar). I always tick the box on the form for seeds, nuts etc because food I have contains them.

They don't give them a second thought when I tell them what we have. Lord knows I don't want to get held up at customs for some stupid food item. I let customs decide if they are going to bother to be interested in what I'm bringing in or not. If in doubt declare.

When we came back from WDW with Halloween chocolates I declared those on the customs form. We got sent to an agent for a quick interview and when they asked what food item we had they just waved us through. Better to be safe than sorry these days.

hmm, this is a good idea too. Just bring some disposal bowls and spoons. It would definitely make mornings easier.
we have a couple of small hard bowls and plastic ikea spoons, quick wash off and good to go for us. Since dd loves her chunky PB might bring a small jar for her, hey and shes happy with that on bread for her lunch, money saver and no guilt because shes happy. Extra for mickey bars.

Do you have to declare any of pre-packaged foods or just the fresh produce, etc?

Definitely declare them though as ottawamom mentioned --- unless it's some uncooked produce/meat/plant you won't likely have an issue. If you don't declare them and they find them that's a whole different thing though.

Usually when flying I just say on our declaration that I only have processed food --- and give a generic category -- protein bar, crackers, gum, etc... and there is usually no issue.

As previous poster said declare everything, but I'd keep anything questionable like fresh fruits or veggies or meat (like lunch meat or something) in your carry on so it's easy to toss out if needed. You'd hate to have your checked luggage held up because you packed something in it that needs to be removed.

We have had our apples taken. Years ago before our second, my wife thought it was a good idea to take some apples with us. Tried to tell her no. Pulled into secondary screening, bags searched, apples disposed of. Nothing that has seeds in it was one of the things I remember.

Found this list in my NEXUS paperwork...
full

We pack breakfast food and snacks all the time. Snacks in the carry-on bags, breakfast foods in our checked luggage. I have made muffins at home , pop tarts, mini boxes of cereal, even yogurt(in an insulated lunch bag with freezer pack) still cold when we unpacked! Just declare everything.

We always bring pre-packaged snacks and also packs of oatmeal along with disposable bowls and spoons. I pack my snacks in my checked luggage in a plastic container with a lid. I also pack a small travel bottle of dish detergent. Once in the room, I put the snacks in a plastic bag or something, then use the plastic container to wash our refillable mugs properly. Then when it's time to fly back home, I pack any Christmas ornaments or more fragile souvenirs in the plastic container. As a side note, we also always bring squeezable Brita bottles (not the type with the straws), they can easily be attached to a backpack, purse etc. with a carabiner clip.

Do you have to declare any of pre-packaged foods or just the fresh produce, etc?

ALL food has to be declared. Same when you return to Canada if you have any remaining. We bring allergy safe snacks and food and will sometimes have some left when we come back home.

I usually try to write a list of the food we have and have it on hand when going through Customs, that way when they ask "what food" I can show them the list. The only time I have had to speak to the ag officer after showing the list to US CBP was coming off a DCL cruise in Port Canaveral. Showed the same list to the ag officer and was free to go.

SW

Last edited:
I think the person said they flew Southwest. We do that too. We cross the border with allowable stuff and shop in Detroit/Buffalo for the rest.

I think the person said they flew Southwest. We do that too. We cross the border with allowable stuff and shop in Detroit/Buffalo for the rest.

One thing people should be aware is that it's illegal to cross certain state lines with citrus because of diseases that are different in FL and CA. So if you buy clementines or oranges before boarding in the US, you could be in trouble when landing, especially in California where they are very strict. I don't think other fruits are a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter