Budget Decision: Wait for Free Dining or not?

leebee

DIS Veteran
SO do I wait and hope for free dining or do I change my current booking for guaranteed savings NOW?

I currently have a non-discounted package: 6 nights ASMu (8/22-8/28), 6 day base park tickets, and DDP for 2 adults. Total is $2695. A rack-rate room and 6 night park hopper tickets (cuz that's what I'd need for FD) through Disney comes to $1789. The same room through Orbitz and 6 day base park tickets from UT comes to $1442.
SO:
$2696 for room, tickets, food from Disney, rack-rate.
$1789 for room, tickets, food from Disney, rack-rate w/FD ($347 cheaper- but will I GET FD?)
$1442 for room, tickets. $1253 cheaper but I'd need to buy food.

I ran the numbers for free dining and it comes pretty close to even because of the adult beverage that's now included with FD. The budget-side of me is looking at the numbers and saying "Orbitz/UT." The lazy side of me is tempted for the free dining, because it's done and paid for- but what if I don't get it? Then we are paying Disney a LOT. OPINIONS??

Book now, you can always change later. Besides the latest free dining is only for kids.

I keep hearing more and more that they are phasing our free dining. That may not be the case but I also heard it’s getting harder to get. Which one would you smack your forehead more for doing or not doing? If it was me and the savings was pretty close I’d probably do the sure thing.

I am not sure of the DP plan prices but I know you will get the CS with values... so I am using 55 a night which has a value of about 660.00 for 2 adults so you would save about 320 if you were to buy the plan... BUT I would check your math as from what I have read in the past the FD packages always have other things you may have to pay for like Park Hopper option and memory maker and that would assume they have the exact room that you want available. I personally do not get the DP - did years ago when it included a lot more and was a lot cheaper-- I can not tell your eating habits but can tell you spend about half of what the DP would costs us but we do get discounts being we are DVC so maybe 40% less... simple reason some days we eat more some days less.... and that is how we are in our real lives... I do explore the DP on most years however as others get value from it.... if you are worried about sticker shock than I say buy the DP and enjoy your vacation... if you can sit down and order what you want whatever the price is than don't.. most simply will not order the most expensive thing on the menu. Believe or not some of the less expensive things are good a cupcake that costs 6.00 does not mean it is good when you much rather have the value losing 3.00 chocolate croissant.

That is a tough decision. When are you going? I know last year there was more availability for some dates than others for FD rooms. We went in August, and it seemed that there was more availability and choice of resorts and types of rooms then than around the holidays. Of course, it could be different this year if FD is even offered. The value of the QS dining plan for 2 for your 6 nights at a value resort is $630, in case you didn't already calculate it! You could book a room through UT now. It says on their site that there is free cancellation up to 5 days ahead of time. You could hold off on ordering tix through them, as they shouldn't change in price between now and your trip. If so, I would probably do that, and then wait out the next month for the FD promotion, if the dining plan is something that works for you.

Yeah, I forgot to add in the cost to upgrade from QSDP to DDP, which is $276, give or take, for 2 adults for six nights. That makes the cost of waiting for free dining $2065. STILL better than $2695, but that means that I'll "save" $623 if I book myself and put it towards food. Grrrr... If only I were rich!!

SO do I wait and hope for free dining or do I change my current booking for guaranteed savings NOW?

I currently have a non-discounted package: 6 nights ASMu (8/22-8/28), 6 day base park tickets, and DDP for 2 adults. Total is $2695. A rack-rate room and 6 night park hopper tickets (cuz that's what I'd need for FD) through Disney comes to $1789. The same room through Orbitz and 6 day base park tickets from UT comes to $1442.
SO:
$2696 for room, tickets, food from Disney, rack-rate.
$1789 for room, tickets, food from Disney, rack-rate w/FD ($347 cheaper- but will I GET FD?)
$1442 for room, tickets. $1253 cheaper but I'd need to buy food.

I ran the numbers for free dining and it comes pretty close to even because of the adult beverage that's now included with FD. The budget-side of me is looking at the numbers and saying "Orbitz/UT." The lazy side of me is tempted for the free dining, because it's done and paid for- but what if I don't get it? Then we are paying Disney a LOT. OPINIONS??

Book the cheapest scenario now. You still have about a month or so before fd might be released to decide for sure what you want to do. Free dining is not always the best deal when it's a reservation for only two people.

I'd book now and them swap over to free dining if it's offered and is still going to give you a savings.

I'd book now and them swap over to free dining if it's offered and is still going to give you a savings.
That's what I would do. There is really no reason not to unless you would pay a lot to cancel the other reservation.

I was pretty sure that FD was that time of year , the dining plan is nothing like it used to be !! Are rates better then too ??

The last week of August into September is considered a value 2 season. The date varies a bit depending on the resort you stay at. It's not the cheapest time to stay, but it's pretty close.

The UT/Orbitz option will still be available two months from now. Wait to see if free dining is available. You're talking about $623 after the upgrade, so $311 per person, for six nights so you'd pay $50 per person per day for food. You'll get more than that value in food, won't you?

I'd do Orbitz/UT now. I don't know the exact dates but F&W starts in August this year which means resorts will start getting booked up.

The last week of August into September is considered a value 2 season. The date varies a bit depending on the resort you stay at. It's not the cheapest time to stay, but it's pretty close.

We like Pop but any value is fine if it is cheaper !!

I'd do Orbitz/UT now. I don't know the exact dates but F&W starts in August this year which means resorts will start getting booked up.
What is Orbitz/UT ??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter