Bus to Boardwalk and walk to EPCOT or Monorail from MK?

DizFan13

DIS Veteran
Hello,

My question is two parts: is it faster to catch a bus from MK to the Boardwalk and then just walk to EPCOT or to use the monorail? Secondly, is it even okay for us to take the bus to the Boardwalk?

I'm guessing it's not uncouth to use a bus to a resort where we aren't staying since that is what we'd do if we had a reservation at a resort restaurant, but I'm not sure if they discourage or if it's just plain rude for us to use the bus and then cut through the resort to the boardwalk. That said, our last few monorail experiences have been awful, and we'd like to avoid it if at all possible.

It's absolutely fine to take the bus anywhere you like.

Your method of transportation depends on where you are first headed at EPCOT. It's one mile from the front entrance of EPCOT, where the monorail and bus stops are, to the International Gateway. If you first want to visit Future World, I would take the monorail. However, if you first will be visiting the WS, most of it wlll be closer to the IG.

The walk from the BC to the IG only is about 5-6 minutes, and there are almost never long lines passing through security and entering the park there.

It is always OK for any Disney guest to use the bus to go anywhere for any reason. Not discouraged & you never have to explain your trip.

You could also get the bus to Boardwalk and instead of walking to EPCOT remember they run friendship boats between Hollywood Studios and International Gateway.

If you want to avoid the monorail, you could also take the Yacht & Beach Club bus. Get off at the Beach Club, cut through the lobby to the water side exit, and walk to Epcot. The Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach bus stops are usually right next to each other, so you could get in line for one and then hop out of line and onto the other bus if it comes first.

The monorail will almost certainly be faster, but there's nothing wrong with doing what you suggest. (As others have said, jump on whichever bus comes first - yacht club, beach club, or boardwalk)
You could also take the ferry to the TTC and then hop on the monorail, which would at least cut down on one monorail trip for you.

If you want to avoid the monorail, you could also take the Yacht & Beach Club bus. Get off at the Beach Club, cut through the lobby to the water side exit, and walk to Epcot. The Boardwalk and Yacht/Beach bus stops are usually right next to each other, so you could get in line for one and then hop out of line and onto the other bus if it comes first.

We did that at least three times our last trip (usually when going from AK to Epcot). The security lines are also so much better at the IG than the front of the park.

We did that at least three times our last trip (usually when going from AK to Epcot). The security lines are also so much better at the IG than the front of the park.

Moliphino and Shoreward have great points, are you headed to the front or back of the park? and don't forget to factor in the much more reasonable wait and security check times at the IG.

I would only add a question. What time of day are you planning to get into epcot? if you are going to encounter a crush of people either on the monorail or at the main entrance it just makes entering via the IG even more sensible.

That said, our last few monorail experiences have been awful, and we'd like to avoid it if at all possible.
To avoid the Monorail I would for Epcot Maingate walk to Contemporary Resort and catch an Epcot bus there and for the International Gateway what others have posted.:)

To avoid the Monorail I would for Epcot Maingate walk to Contemporary Resort and catch an Epcot bus there and for the International Gateway what others have posted.:)

There isn't an Epcot bus from the Contemporary, is there? I thought it was just the monorail.

Thanks, everyone. I think we'll head to the bus stops, and check on both the Boardwalk and Yacht & Beach Club bases, as Baloofan and Moliphino suggest. A small wait there would really be worth avoiding the monorail for us at this point.

Hello,

My question is two parts: is it faster to catch a bus from MK to the Boardwalk and then just walk to EPCOT or to use the monorail? Secondly, is it even okay for us to take the bus to the Boardwalk?

I'm guessing it's not uncouth to use a bus to a resort where we aren't staying since that is what we'd do if we had a reservation at a resort restaurant, but I'm not sure if they discourage or if it's just plain rude for us to use the bus and then cut through the resort to the boardwalk. That said, our last few monorail experiences have been awful, and we'd like to avoid it if at all possible.
Unless there was something seriously going on with the monorail (which I agree does happen) just taking the monorail should always be faster.

Unless there was something seriously going on with the monorail (which I agree does happen) just taking the monorail should always be faster.

That depends on the crowd size.
I was there over the new year and into early January and some nights I would watch the MK fireworks and then travel over to Epcot to catch the fireworks there.
Exiting the MK there were often long lines for both the monorail and the ferry so I would ride the bus to the Yacht & Beach resorts and be walking in through the IG with time to spare.

Other nights, with lighter crowds, I would take the monorail.

We ended up using the bus to the Boardwalk and walking to the IG. It was not only quick and easy, but since the weather was nice, we had the added bonus of lots of cheerful activity on the boardwalk and a quick stop for some ice cream. DH and I agree it's a great alternative to the unpredictable monorail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter