Calmest place to sit on 7DMT?

Surgie

Mouseketeer
For a person who wants to try the ride but isn't sure they will love it, where to sit for the calmest experience?

Weird, I'd say the opposite of the previous poster and suggest the very back. My kids (3 and 5) are terrified if we ride anywhere but the back. Is much calmer (to them) in the very back.

The back feels like it goes faster as you're not hanging on the chain lift and drops as long.

Anywhere on it will be smooth. If you want to feel faster ride back, feel slower ride front

I'm clearly in the minority with respect to "calmer" but ALL cars are going the exact same speed at all time. They are, after all, attached.
IMHO there is no real "calm" car on SDMT, I thought it was worse than BTMRR and I LOVE that ride, so to each their own. But I'm not in the minority here with saying that the front cars have the least amount of movement and action compared to the last ones.

Last edited:
I'm clearly in the minority with respect to "calmer" but ALL cars are going the exact same speed at all time. They are, after all, attached.

Seems logical and clear, but...
this exact scenario has been endlessly debated for decades by coaster enthusiasts.

The front car on every roller coaster is always the slowest and smoothest ride. It's physics.

Front cars are always slower and calmer.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This.

Traditional rollercoasters go up a hill. The front cars tend to hang at the top of the hill, basically you're waiting for the rest of the cars to come over the top. Middle is constant speed throughout, the last cars are going to have the most speed going over the top of the hill due to the other cars pulling the end of the train downward (thanks gravity!).

Yes, the overall speed may be the same, but the feel can be either dangling, constant or flying. YMMV.

You won't have to worry about a calm place to sit. It's very smooth. Not bumpy. We rode it 10 times in a row on an EMM morning and sat in about every place. Didn't feel a difference. You should love it.

Look, I'm not here to argue over this because it's stupid

Sorry if my post seemed otherwise, I'm not trying to argue either... I'm clearly "wrong" about which end is more calm. But just wanted to point out the speed thing... by the laws of physics, all cars must be going the same speed. But I concede, I'm wrong about my perception of calm (since I'm the only one who said the back).

Sorry if my post seemed otherwise, I'm not trying to argue either... I'm clearly "wrong" about which end is more calm. But just wanted to point out the speed thing... by the laws of physics, all cars must be going the same speed. But I concede, I'm wrong about my perception of calm (since I'm the only one who said the back).

The blog I linked to makes sense. Yes, the cars all need to go the same speed otherwise they'd crash. But, the feeling of going faster is going to occur in the back... physics... as explained in the blog.

ETA: To also bring out of the post... It's all a matter of where you are on the train when everything starts to speed up and the front goes down the hill. So yes, over the top of the first hill, the lead car will be at the slower climbing speed, the last car over though will be faster as the rest of the train is speeding down the hill and you just haven't crested the top yet.

I'd say the front is the calmest, but really, 7DMT is a calm ride. I've never even noticed the cars rocking.

[QUOTE="mousehockey37, post: 57796971
ETA: To also bring out of the post... It's all a matter of where you are on the train when everything starts to speed up and the front goes down the hill. So yes, over the top of the first hill, the lead car will be at the slower climbing speed, the last car over though will be faster as the rest of the train is speeding down the hill and you just haven't crested the top yet.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with your last sentence above.

Acceleration is responsible for "the feels", and it definitely varies from the front to the back. Velocity/speed not so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter