Campgroung Evacuation?

campingcorgi

<font color=blue>Will work for a chance to live at
I just read on another forum that the campground was evacuated recently due to the tropical storm. Does anyone know what happens in that event? Do people pack-up and leave or are you bussed to another resort? What about your pets if you are sent to a different resort? :confused:

We were there 3 years ago during Tropical Storm Mitch. FW did not evacuate the campground though. The CM's were very nice to those that were in tents and got soaked. My sister and her family were there camping in a tent and the entire thing collapsed on them while they were sleeping (what a thing to wake up to). Anyway, she called the front office and they came out to help them. They also gave them a room at one of the resorts at no charge. When she got back to her site the next morning the CM's had tried to dry out some things for her.

I would like to say we had good luck but we didn't. We were staying in a cabin during a hurricane. We were told in the afternoon there was a possibility that we would have to be evacuted later in the day. I was at the MK with my 2 older children and my husband remained at the cabin with my brother and infant doing laundry. A letter was slipped under the door at 6:15 stating they were to be out of the cabin immediately. Well he had no way to contact me and I could not have returned to FW even if I wanted to. All transportation the FW was halted. I happened to be running late and phoned him from the park. He could not tell me where they were putting us or how long it would take him to find out. We decided to meet up in front of the Poly 1 hour later. 2 hours later he shows up (had been waiting in line that whole time) and we were stuck at the ASMo. The next morning when we had to move back they wanted us to wait in that line again to check back in. We went to the breakfast buffet and the food availability was minimal at best. It definately put a big damper on the rest of the vacation.

We had been evacuated from a cabin in 1999 due to a tropical storm following that big hurricane that closed the parks.
When we were returning from the parks, our bus driver told us all about it, and when we got to the cabin there was a phone message from the front desk, and then also printed instructions on our door.
All the people renting cabins were moved to the Contemporary, and all those camping were sent to the CSR. Since we were there with my brother and his family who were in a pop-up we asked if we could be put together, and they were very nice and put us in adjoining rooms at CSR. It was for 1 night, but they told us if we wanted to stay for 2 there would be no charge. So we rode out the storm, went to Dis Studios the next day and the chilled out at the CSR pool, which is awesome. Then we went back to our cabin.
All in all I think they handled it pretty well.

Glad to hear Disney treated you well! ,as could be expected in a major event such as that :bounce:

Thanks, guys! Glad to hear some first-hand information. Now, anyone know what they have you do with the 4-legged family members?

Barbara, who would be worried about the corgi half of campingcorgi

Hi,

a Tropical storm just came through here recently and while I can say that everyone that was staying at a cabin that was evacuated got to stay at the Contemporary for the night and all other campers went to Port Orleans, I can't say what happened to those folks that were staying in a camp site with thier pets. I would assume the pets would have been sheltered at the many indoor kennels on property, but I don't know for sure. We only had one day of bad weather, so I am sure most folks weren't inconvinced too much and since it was the same week as America's tragedy their may not have been too many folks staying there with pets to respond with this answer. The cabins have to be evacuated becuse they are really a moblie home and even in just a tropical storm they usually fall under a mandatory evacuation along with low lying areas. The camp sites are evacuated for obvious reasons and it's a big chance you take when you stay here from the end of Aug. thru the beginning of Nov. that you may have to be relocated due to a TS or Hurricane. Mmketeer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter