Camping Recepies

Dreaming of Disney

Mouseketeer
We are going camping over Memorial Day Weekend and I was hoping to find some new ideas for meals. We will be in a tent and we won't have electricity at our site so the crock pot is out. We have 3 girls, a 6 yr. old and twins that are 4.

Does anyone have any tricks they use to make cooking a little easier?

BTW, if anyone knows of some good camping discussion boards, I would love to check them out.

Thanks!

Oooo, no electricity, that certainly is camping ;) . We are a camping family, except we like to rough it comfortably. He-he.

Are you going to have a Coleman stove or a hibachi? There is a recipe that we do on the grill. It's a side dish.

Lay out a big piece of heavy duty aluminum foil (I bet one of those bags would work great). Put in the bag (or on the foil):

Cut up sweet potatoes (cubes)
Chopped Vidalia onions
Chopped red or yellow bell pepper
A bit of olive oil over that
Salt, pepper, whatever spice you like

Put on the (closed) grill and cook until potatoes are tender.

It's good, it's healthy!

BTW, there is a camping board on the WDW boards. I bet they have lots of recipes.

Thanks Barb! We do have a coleman stove and my neighbor, who is giong with us, has a small grill.

I checked out the camping boards on the DIS, but I didn't see any recipies and I couldn't do a search.

Your recipie sounds yummy. :cool:

Get some pie irons. We've made grilled cheese sandwiches and pizza calzones. Our kids thought they were great! And they're easy to make and clean up.

Ive got a couple of great sites with camping stuff that we use every year. Were going again over Memorial day :)

http://www.melborponsti.com/camping/index.shtml

Heres a fun site with lots of camping songs :)

http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Glade/8851/

more camping with kids stuff:

http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/Kids.htm

the most important thing to do is HAVE FUN!!

Plan for emergencies though and be prepared! Kids fall down and get owies more while youre camping Ive found bring that Bactine and BandAids :)

My son, who is in Boy Scouts, and my husband like to cook fajitas when they go camping. They don't use electricity to cook with. Sorry I don't have a recipe for you. They just use fajita seasoning, onion and green pepper and wing it.

You should check out the camping board here on the DIS....lots of great camping ideas!!:p

Kirby fajitas sound good. They probably wouldn't be hard to make either.

bananiem, what are pie irons?

binny, Great sites! I don't have a lot of time to check them out now because I have to go to work, but I'll give them a good going over when I get back.

Were camping this weekend
I'm making sandwiches to toast in the sandwich/pie iron for our arrival. We'll have raw veggies and chips with them. Pudding cups for dessert
Dinner is the wylers soup starter, chicken & rice, made with canned chicken. toasted marshmallows for dessert

Breakfast is pancakes.. lowfat biscuit and powdered milk measured out in advance in a plastic container. Add water and shake.
pre cooked bacon and dole fruit cups

Lunch will be ramen noodles (in the cups) and raw veggies. We'll be packing up to leave during lunch, so I didn't want dirty dishes or a lot of time invloved.
Snacks on the trail will be beef jerky and chex moring mix

For the tin-foil dinners, you can actually cook them in the coals of your fire. Our scouts do that all the time.

Since you're bringing a coleman stove and a grill, you can cook anything except baked type things there.

One thing we usually do is to put our meat into zip locks with the seasoning/marinade on them. Do any cutting, etc before you go, minimizing the problem with food prep in an uncontrolled environment (bugs, dirt, temperature, etc.)

For breakfasts, bisquick has the pancakes in a bottle, where you just add water, shake it up and away you go. If you are planning on eggs, make sure you bring an egg-holder (available at WalMart for a buck or so). Nothing worse than broken eggs in a cooler (been there, done that!)

Have fun!

the biscuit mix in the shaker is good, but only makes 10 pancakes. So instead of buying 2 or 3 I'm doing my own shaker as descibed above. It will be in a 4 cup gladware bowl

I have tons of camping recipes. If I had a better idea of what you might like, I'd share some here. Just too many to choose from. Let me know if there is something that you like/don't like. Does your family like things mixed together or does it all have to be separated? Do you have a Dutch oven?

Pie irons are those things you use to make pies over the fire. There's 2 square parts that fit together. They're on the end of a long handle. You put a piece of buttered bread on each side and put in your favorite filling, fit the 2 pieces together and grill over the fire.
Fillings:
Cheese slices for a grilled cheese sandwich
Pizza sauce(in a squeeze bottle), some shredded cheese, pepperoni- a pizza calzone! You could use any pizza toopings, really.
Friends of ours also make fajitas with theirs. They bring the cooked chicken and vegies in the marinade in rubbermaid.
For pie you just do the buttered bread, put in some canned pie filling, close and grill. Then sprinkle it with sugar while it's hot. I recommend peach or apple, but my dh would say cherry.;)

OH! And don't forget s'mores!!:D
Go to this site and do the search for pie irons. They even have double ones and round ones!!
http://www.cabelas.com/

We used to use those sandwich makers (you can find them at any store that sells camping supplies, I think Wal-Mart has them in their sporting goods/outdoors section) a lot when we took the kids camping. Make sure you butter the outside (the part that will be touching the metal) of the bread really well so it doesn't stick. We put slices of cheese with chunked ham in them. Also "pizza" sandwiches with Ragu sauce and all kinds of pizza toppings. And DH made Reubens with corned beef and sauerkraut. And we made "dessert" sandwiches with pie fillings and then a thin layer of vanilla frosting (canned) on top after they were done. Yum!!

I also take large sheets of aluminum foil and in each one I put some cut-up boneless chicken breast, or ground beef, also chunked potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery (zuchinni and summer squash sometimes too, or fresh peas or green beans). Add a bit of butter, spices, and Italian dressing and wrap them up and lay them in the coals of your campfire to cook (turning them occasionally so they don't burn). Very simple and delicious!!

The people who have gone camping with us in the past, without checking to see what we were taking compared to what they were taking are always amazed that we certainly rough it, comfortably, as Barb mentioned. Crab legs are always a good dinner, as is lobster tails and clams. We make aluminum foil potatoes, but I hadn't considered doing it with yams or sweet potatoes. That sounds good. Ours are just potatoes, onions, butter, s & p in sealed aluminum foil.

We have a camping toaster for the coleman stove that serves us well for breakfast with eggs and sausage.

Really, with a coleman stove, you can make anything. Friends of ours have even made pasta for dinner on the coleman.

StampMom asked for some Dutch oven recipes, so I thought I'd post them here for everyone to see.

I suggest lining the Dutch oven with foil. I am just lazy and don't like clean up when I am camping. For desserts, I ALWAYS bring throw away, foil pie and cake pans that fit in our oven. If you line your oven with foil and use a throw away pan, clean up is a breeze!

If a recipe doesn't say how many it serves, it is because I don't have it on my recipe. You'll just have to guess!

The main dishes could be adjusted to just cook in a pot or pan. We have a huge notebook full of camping recipes, so if you are looking for something I may have it.

Mess
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 16 oz can French-style green beans
1 can tomato soup
1 small onion, chopped
1 can mushrooms
pasta
Brown ground beef and onion in Dutch oven until onion is clear and beef is no longer pink. Drain. Add other ingredients. Heat about 30 minutes and season to taste. Serve on noodles or spaghetti.

Hamburger Stroganoff serves 8
2 lbs. ground beef
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 can milk
1 cup sour cream
rice or tortill chips
Brown beef in Dutch oven. Drain fat. Add soup, milk, and sour cream. Mix well. Simmer but do not boil. Serve over hot rice or tortilla chips.

Chip and Chili Casserole 6 servings
1 lb. ground beef
1 cup corn chips
1 cup grated cheese
1 can chilli with beans
1 t. minced onions
Brown beef and drain. Add chilli and simmer 5 minutes. Remove half the meat mixture. Top remaining meat with half the chips and half the cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Dragon Hot Dish 6 servings
1 lb ground beef
1 can mixed vegetables
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 small onion chopped fine
1 1/4 c. milk
1 c. water
salt and pepper
1 c. uncooked rice
16 oz Chow Mein noodles
Brown beef and onion. Drain. Season with salt and pepper. Add undrained vegetables, rice and water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add 1 can of mushroom soup and the milk. If dish seems dry add the other can of soup. Cook until slightly thickened and serve over Chow Mein noodles.

Baked Chicken and Rice 6-8 servings
4 skinless chicken breasts, cut into halves
2 cups uncooked regular long grain rice (or wild rice)
1 pkg onion soup mix
2 cans chicken broth
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1/2 t. paprika
1/2 t. pepper
1 can water
Line 4 qt. Dutch oven with foil. Combine soup, broth and water. Add rice and stir. Put chicken on top of rice mixture. Sprinkle with dry soup mix, paprika and pepper. Cover and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until chicken and rice are done.

Potato and Chicken Dijon
4 med. potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch slices
2 T. vegetable oil
1/4 c. prepared honey-Dijon barbeque sauce
1 t. dried tarragon
Place potatoes in Dutch oven and add just enough water to cover. Cook until just tender. Drain and remove potatoes. Add oil and cook chikcen until done. Add potatoes and toss until potatoes are lightly browned. Add sauce and tarragon. Toss until heated through.

Dutch Oven Stewed Chicken 6 servings
4-6 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
4 T. oil
1 c. flour
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
1 lg jar spaghetti sauce
16 oz stewed tomatoes
16 oz noodles
1 T. sugar
Preheat the Dutch oven. Wash the chicken. Cut the chicken into pieces. Mix the flour, salt and pepper in a ziplock bag. Shake the chicken pieces in the seasoned flour. Add oil to the Dutch oven and then add the chicken pieces. Brown on both sides. Add extra oil as needed. Pour the spaghetti sauce and stewed tomatoes over the chicken. Add sugar. Put on lid and coals on top. Bake on medium heat and for about 40 minutes (about 1 hour total cooking time). Cook noodles and serve sauce over the top.

Dutch Oven Cobbler serves 10
2 2 1/2 lb cans fruit or pie mix (peach, apple, cherry, etc)
1 box yellow or white cake mix
1/4 lb butter or margarine
Place fruit in the bottom. Cover with cake mix and level it. Cut butter into about 10 pats and scatter over the top.
Note: if you use canned peaches you may need to pour off half the juice. Crushed pineapple has about the right amount of juice. Bake in preheated oven with 8 coals under and 16 - 20 coals on top. Check after 30 minutes. Baking time is usually around 40 minutes, but you don't want it to burn.

Monkey Bread
4 cans biscuits
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
4 T. cinnamon
1 stick butter or margarine
Cut biscuits into quarters. Put sugars and cinnamon in plastic bag. Shake biscuit pieces in sugar mixture to coat. Drop into Dutch oven. Melt butter and pour over biscuits. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

Memphis Molly
1 16 oz can tart cherries (not pie filling)
1 16 oz can blueberries (not pie filling)
1 small can crushed pineapple
1 sm. pkg chopped walnuts, optional
2 boxes Jiffy cake mix
1/2 stick of butter, cut into pats
Add ingredients in order. Fruit and nuts go in the bottom. Sprinkle the cake mix over the top with butter pats on top. Cook 20-30 minutes or until cake is done.

Let me know if you have questions about how many coals equal a temperature. I can post a chart that helps.

The foil dinners are always good, just make sure you give yourself enough time to cook, they take a while. We do hamburger, potatoes, carrotes, and spices. (an hour cook time over coals)

For dessert, foil bananas or apples are great. Keep the banana in it's peel, slit it long ways, put in chocolate chips, marshmallows, brown sugar, cinamon, etc., seal up and bake on the coals. For the apple, core it and suff the same sort of things inside the core hole, then seal and bake. Yum! Kids love this. (about half an hour over coals)

For breakfast, if you don't want to take the time to make pancakes, take biscut dough and stick it on your camping fork and hold if over the campfire until it's done. You could even stick sausage links inside the dough if you like it. (precooked)

Since you have the stove, once when we went camping we decided we wanted something a little more gourmet. We bought swiss cheese fondue in the foil packet from the grocerie store and melted it on the stove, brought apples and french bread and it was wonderful!

Chatty....to cut down on mess, don't use butter for the pie irons. Spray them with butter flavored Pam or whatever.

Another site to see is

www.macscouter.com

it is not just for scouts. lots of recipes for dutch ovens, pie irons, foil dinners, etc.

Have fun!!!!

Wow!!! This is a great thread. I must of missed it before.;) We're heading out today...we got a new 5th wheel last fall. First time out...hopefully all will go well! ;) I never know what to plan for meals...that's the hardest part, I think. I copied a few off to try this weekend. I'll check out all the great sites when I get home.

I wish I had some recipes for you....but it's usually sandwiches an sloppy joes for us. I can see that changing though!!;) :)

Have a great time!!!!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter