Camping Recepies

Another tip. . . . I usually pre-mix dry ingredients in a labeled baggie before we go camping. I also pre-cook ground beef, sausage or bacon, cool it, and put it in a baggie in the cooler. It shortens cooking time by one step and I don't have to have the raw meat that might contaminate something. If we are having chicken I either buy it near where we are camping (right before I cook) or fix it the first night out and keep it in a small cooler by itself.

Be careful with your pocket meal (aluminum foil meals) if you put them directly on your coals they will burn.

Clean up tip... If you are going to use pots and pans on a open fire. Before you put the pot on the fire coat the outside of the pan with dish washing soap. That nasty black mess on the pot will wipe right off. No more scrubbing pots and pans all night.

Coleman makes a oven that attaches to your coleman stove, we can still have baked goods in the woods.

Breakfast - mix oatmeal with extra water in a dutch oven. cover the dutch oven (under the lid and over the lid with aluminum foil). After your fire in the evening dig a hole (deep enough to cover your dutch oven, with the handle sticking out) in the fire circle right next to where your fire was. Put hot coals in the bottom of the hole, place the dutch oven in the hole and surround the dutch oven with coals, fill in the hole with the dirt. When you get up in the morning your breakfast is done and hot.

Whenever you are cooking with coals remember one coal = 50 degrees.

Somebody stop me. All me years of scouting are spilling out all over the keyboard.

We have a great camping board, right here on the DIS. I'm going to move this over there for you.

Katholyn

Hi! Welcome to the Camping Board!! I can't wait to try some of these recipes myself! :Pinkbounc

I like to pre-cook alot of things it makes it easier for me. I pre-cook bbq chicken in the oven and then freeze it in freezer bags. I also make spagetti sauce with meat, freeze that and warm it up on the colman with a pot of water some italian bread and you have a nice easy tasty dinner. Good luck and have fun. Nothing tastes better then anything cooked outdoors.

I've gotten some really good ideas! I think our camping trip will be more than just sandwiches and hot dogs this time! Thanks!

Here is a couple more ideas...sorry if there are any repeats...

Baked apples
Wash and core an apple. In the center put in some butter and pack with brown sugar or caramel squares or red hot candies or raisins or cinnamon and sugar or...chocolate chips or....(you get the idea) wrap in foil throw on the coals of the campfire till somewhat tender...be careful opening but enjoy

Eclairs/Jelly rolls

Get a 10" dowel from the hardware store and some refrigerator biscuits...pat out the biscuits a bit wrap around the end of the dowel sealing one end over the tip of the dowl. Roast over the coals of your fire till it puffs and turns a nice golden brown. Fill the center with jelly or pudding and put a little canned frosting over the top of the outside

Save yourself some valuable storage space and dish washing

Instead of packing your bisquick into a bowl/shaker premeasure the right amount into a ziplock bag. When its time for breakfast add the wet ingredients milk/egg (my mother used to use a bit of sprite or gingerale to make them fluffier) into the bag and squish. We have also been known to add in banana, apples, etc. Nip off one of the bottom corners of the bag and squeeze out just enough for each flapjack. When done toss the bag. No clean up!!

I like to make chicken quesadillas in the pie irons:

Spray irons w/butter
Place 1 tortilla in each iron
Pre-cooked Tyson's Southwestern Chicken
Cheese
Salsa
and anything else you want

Cook slowly over the fire!!

We also do corn in the fire:

Soak ears of corn in bucket of water
Wrap each ear individually w/heavy duty foil
Place into coals - turning frequently
(have long handled tongs for just this purpose)
When finished, place hot ears of corn in your metal bucket to cool - don't try this w/a plastic bucket:rolleyes:

We have placed several small red potatoes together in foil, spray lightly w/butter, sprinkle w/salt & pepper - put into the coals to cook.

Almost forgot - we use Pillsbury Crescent rolls in the pie irons w/apple pie filling, sprinkle w/cinnamon and sugar, cheery pie filling and blueberry pie filling. These are WONDERFUL.

Happy Camping!!! LisaF

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter