Can I use adult TS and pay out of pocket for child at same meal?

cmm

Mouseketeer
We have 3 (DH,DD7 and me) traveling to WDW next month. I have the free dining plan. Can I use TS credits for the adults and pay out of pocket for DDs meal at the same time? Likewise, can I use her TS credit for her meal and pay for ours out of pocket at the same time? For example, we are using 4TS at Yachtsman. The kid's meal is about $5 or $6,so I would like to pay for hers rather than using one of her TS credits. We are later going to CRT for lunch. We think it's a better value to pay for the adults out of pocket, but use her TS credits for that meal. I would rather use her TS credits for things like character meals at $11 or $12 because the sit down restaurant meals are so much cheaper. Thanks. :figment:

I was told for my client who's on the DDP, that the credits can be shared and combined in your party. I would call 1-800 WDW-DINE and explain to them what you plan on doing and let them tell you if it's doable.

All credits are pooled so you can use the credits whenever you wish and on whoever you wish. Just tell the CM that you will be paying for your DD's meal and using credits for you and your husband. FWIW, I would use the credits for an adult at CRT and not a child. If you're going to pay for a meal out of pocket, a children's meal is less expensive than an adult's meal.

You can use the credits however you like as long as you are not using a child's credit to pay for an adult meal. You also can do any combination of using credits and paying oop as you like. Just tell your server up front.

We did this with no problem 2 weeks ago. We paid for one DS OOP and used TS Credits for the other DS. They shared dessert (most places don't have child's appetizers), and one DS will only drink water. We also did this with DH and me and were able to add an extra TS meal to our week.

like another poster said, you can use them however you like but as it stated on the DP, children are to order from the child's menu

4mcbjCtr said:
You can use the credits however you like as long as you are not using a child's credit to pay for an adult meal. You also can do any combination of using credits and paying oop as you like. Just tell your server up front.

There are no "child" credits and "adult" credits. Just credits. The only restriction is that a child may not order off the adult menu when using a credit (which is what I think you are trying to say).

Actually, the term Disney is using is "child meal entitlements" not "child credits". The new Dining Plan brochure explains that adults cannot use child meal entitlements. While Disney will still mostly rely on the integrity of its guests to comply with this, they have clarified the situation, finally.

With the new dining plan brochure, it specifically states that adults can't use child credits. At this time reports are that the credits are still pooled. I would not plan my vacation counting on being able to use the credits however I wanted to. Disney may in the future separate the credits between child and adult. With the new brochure out now, I would expect some changes in the not so distant future. Especially with free dining coming up.

When I made my ADR's the CM told me that the credits are separated and adults cannot use children's credits. That is fine with me. I just want to make sure that I can use my daughter's credits to pay for the most expensive meals for her, like the character meals, when I might be paying oop for myself.

Back to the OP's question...

Yes, you can pay for some meals OOP and use credits for other meals at the same table. We plan on paying OOP for the kids at cheaper meals and then using those credits at more expensive meals (typically the buffets.) It makes perfect sense to do what you want to do. Just tell the server up front who you will be paying for OOP and which meals will be payed for with credits.

I can't see Disney ever requiring a party to exclusively use credits or pay OOP. That would be imposible!

cmm said:
We have 3 (DH,DD7 and me) traveling to WDW next month. I have the free dining plan. Can I use TS credits for the adults and pay out of pocket for DDs meal at the same time? Likewise, can I use her TS credit for her meal and pay for ours out of pocket at the same time? For example, we are using 4TS at Yachtsman. The kid's meal is about $5 or $6,so I would like to pay for hers rather than using one of her TS credits. We are later going to CRT for lunch. We think it's a better value to pay for the adults out of pocket, but use her TS credits for that meal. I would rather use her TS credits for things like character meals at $11 or $12 because the sit down restaurant meals are so much cheaper. Thanks. :figment:

I think your plan sounds reasonable. CRT is probably the one place I think using kid credits and not adult is worthwhile. At CRT lunch, you would be using 2 adult TS credits (meal entitlements) for a meal cost of $34, not great value. But, your two child credits go for a cost of $23, you're already ahead on those two days of child credits without touching the two CSs or snacks.

I suppose we will have to see if the use of the term "child meal entitlements" in the brochure forebodes changes for the DDP. All or nothing use of credits, for example, would negatively affect your plan. Simply unpooling credits, if that were to come to be, would not.

Enjoy!

I read somewhere that some places such as CRT, that it's either all oop or all credits. But, I certainly agree with paying oop for the cheaper meals and using credits for the others. Some have posted on other threads that some restuarants aren't allowing this anymore.

RobinB,

The credits are no longer pooled. I think this new system went into effect 4 days ago.

Merriwind said:
I suppose we will have to see if the use of the term "child meal entitlements" in the brochure forebodes changes for the DDP. All or nothing use of credits, for example, would negatively affect your plan. Simply unpooling credits, if that were to come to be, would not.

Enjoy!

:thumbsup2 I think this is another instance in which unpooling the credits would be a help---the server would be able to see in the computer that the OP was trying to do something legitimate and not trying to break any rules.

I really think unpooling would be helpful and positive for people with children who are trying to use the plan as it was intended. You could use child's entitlements for children but in ways that might be better for your family without worrying about what it looks like or justifying it to a server---it would be right there in the computer. I think it would be nice...and we wouldn't be subsidizing supposed "loopholes." :bounce:

spaceacewannabe said:
:thumbsup2 I think this is another instance in which unpooling the credits would be a help---the server would be able to see in the computer that the OP was trying to do something legitimate and not trying to break any rules.

I really think unpooling would be helpful and positive for people with children who are trying to use the plan as it was intended. You could use child's entitlements for children but in ways that might be better for your family without worrying about what it looks like or justifying it to a server---it would be right there in the computer. I think it would be nice...and we wouldn't be subsidizing supposed "loopholes." :bounce:

:thumbsup2 I totally agree!

I am glad to hear that they are making some changes to to it. I have never had a problem with people paying OOP for some meals bc the credits would be better used on another meal. I myself have quite a few ADR's for my upcoming trip...I am planing to pay for CRT dinner OOP bc I don't think it is worth two credits bc oop it would only be $40pp. And bc I am doing two other signature restaurants I actually have more TS ADR's then I do DP credits, so no matter what I have to pay for some meals OOP. So rather than use those 2 credits for Cindy's I am putting them towards our Ohana and Mama Melrose dinners. I just think that the pooling system really does need a change bc of the adult/child's meals. There is a big difference if I am choosing to use my credits for certain adult meals and pay for others oop (bc either way Disney is getting my money) than using all the credits to pay for adult meals and paying for all kids meals oop...I think that has gotten a little out of control and there is definitely no way Disney is getting any money back on that.

I just posted the question on another thread as well, but can children that are old enough to be adults (13, 11) just use an appetizer as their entree? Basically, could the four of us share two dining credits? We are going during the free dining promo. (so we're not trying to get something for nothing...cause we already are! LOL). The only reason we are even inquiring about this option is because a few of the restaurants DH and I would like to try don't have any entrees that appeal to our kids...however, they all have some type of appetizer (flatbreads, salads, etc.) that they would eat. Plus, I would probably buy them drinks OOP and leave an extra tip for the server.

calypso*a*go-go said:
I just posted the question on another thread as well, but can children that are old enough to be adults (13, 11) just use an appetizer as their entree? Basically, could the four of us share two dining credits? We are going during the free dining promo. (so we're not trying to get something for nothing...cause we already are! LOL). The only reason we are even inquiring about this option is because a few of the restaurants DH and I would like to try don't have any entrees that appeal to our kids...however, they all have some type of appetizer (flatbreads, salads, etc.) that they would eat. Plus, I would probably buy them drinks OOP and leave an extra tip for the server.

There shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't.

I still contend that there is no way that Disney will ever mandate that everyone in a party will have to use a credit at a meal. They may go to an extra sharing fee (as some restaurants do) but only time will tell. As it stands now, your plan sounds perfectly acceptable :thumbsup2

I agree. The only thing they're likely to do is make sure that if you paid for child meals, you get child meals. The rest they really aren't likely to try to control.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter