Can someone please explain the American Express/SPG thing to me?

kpgclark

<font color=339900>There's nothing hum drum about
I looked at spg.com to see how in the world to get the deal I've read about on this board where if you have the American Express Gold Card you can automatically get the gold SPG card. How the heck can you do this? If possible, please post a link.

Join to be a starwood preferred guest - it's free at www.spg.com. There should be a link on their website to apply for the Starwood AMEX cc online. After you are approved for the Amex card, call spg directly and ask to be a gold status b/c you have platinum Amex cc.

Good luck

So you have to have specifically a Starwood Platinum American Express card?

kpg ~ Yes, I am almost certain you must if you you don't have any accumulated stays at Starwood hotels.

Last July prior to my stay at the Dolphin (end of August), I followed the advice on these threads. I joined spg and then applied for Amex and then called spg to request the gold status which they gave me because of the platinum Amex. I had no points and no stays at that time. I used my Amex card to pay for our rooms to gather points, etc. for a hoped for visit this summer using the points I have garnered over this past year.

mouseteacher

Actually, I think any Platinum AMEX will get you gold....And there is one AMEX that will get you Platinum status can't remember the exact card. Check Flyertalk.com

We did all of the above and still have not been able to get the "gold" SPG status. We have called SPG three times and have been told that we need to have a Patinum AmEx and that the SPG Platinum AmEx doesn't count. I believe they said the difference was that the "real" platinum AmEx has to be paid every month and has around a $200-$300 anual fee whereas the SPG Platinum AmEx alows you to carry a balance and has a $50 annual fee. We have lurked on several boards and even found a "code" to use when we called but not luck :confused: . I'm starting to think I'm nuts when I read posts that state all we need is an SPG Platinum card and then SPG states the opposite...help! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter