Can someone tell me why people would bring children under the age of one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Jodi1980
this may be a good time for me to change my screen name...

LOL...I don't think that will be necessary, at least I hope not! I think this has been a very interesting thread! Though I am curious as to why you asked the question to begin with...

...I for one would like to thank you for providing me some much-needed entertainment! :)
It's been fun reading about everyone's opinions and experiences...and nice to know I'm not the only one who takes my children pretty much everywhere I go -- my mom and other relatives (who just want a chance to babysit) are always trying to talk me into NOT taking the baby! LOL

Crisi, I am a La Leche League leader, midwife in training, and future IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant), so I think I know what I am talking about.

Nah. Debate is excercise for the mind. Since you asked a question, here's hoping that through tundra of the unnecessary argument, you've found an answer!

Sun Szu wrote: "Wisdom is not obvious. You must see the subtle and notice the hidden to be victorious."

Roughly translated, that means "everybody mellow out!"

SMILE! I'm going to Disney....

No need to hide Jodi, you are welcome to post your thoughts here. I think you managed to get a rise out of many people with the way you posed your question and everyone got their defenses up.

Let's all give Jodi the benefit of the doubt here and assume she just feels that having an infant at WDW would be overwhelming and a lot of work, and she was just wondering how anybody can manage it. I know that I feel this way. We didn't start going to WDW regularly until our children were at least 3 years old (couldn't afford it back then), so we never had this dilemma. I know that when I see babies in the parks now though, my thoughts always turn to "would I want to be dealing with diapers, bottles, fussiness, strollers, and holding a baby in this heat?"

I applaud those of you that are willing to tackle this challenge, but can certainly understand why some mothers would choose to travel without their infants, or even wait a few years before taking a family vacation to WDW. This is obviously a very individual decision.

Please feel free to continue this discussion, citing reasons why you would or would not take an infant to WDW. As far as the breatfeeding issue, let's not let this turn into an argument, this is not the correct forum for a debate.

Originally posted by Bird-Mom
Crisi, I am a La Leche League leader, midwife in training, and future IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant), so I think I know what I am talking about.

Wow! Talk about a pompous and sanctimonious attitude!

peepwall.gif
Is it safe to come out now?

Originally posted by Clover9990
Wow! Talk about a pompous and sanctimonious attitude!

I don't think so. Sounds like she is just telling her credentials and where she is coming from. Seems to know what she is talking about and has the education to back up what she is saying.

All right people, let's calm down here. There is no need to resort to personal attacks. I would like to keep this discussion open but if everybody can't play nice, I will close this thread.

That was just rude. Bird-mom has every right to let everyone know that she's not just giving a flippant opinion about something but hers is a very informed opinion. I can't believe the rudeness on this board at times. I have seen Crisi refer to "attachment parenting evangelicals" Is that neccessary? I wonder that some of you don't take your energies over to the debate board where people advertise that they have thick skins. The rest of us like to play nice! This has the makings of a great thread if people would control their tempers. As a former breastfeeding instructor myself (non La Leche) I thought the breastfeeding arguments were going way too far and getting too far off the original topic. The point has been made that leaving your baby can lead to nursing problems. I really think that's a given and doesn't need to be discussed any longer. I'm sure that even the OP would just like to read about why someone found taking their infant was too difficult or what a happy time it really was to be there with baby. :D

I'm sorry, Beth. I didn't mean to personally attack- just wanted to point out how arrogant one can sound when making such a statement. And Skiwee, just because someone has a degree doesn't make them omniscient. I think that having a degree sometimes doesn't hold a candle to actual experience- in this case, the other poster's friend who successfully breastfed before AND after her trip to Germany.

Originally posted by Clover9990
I'm sorry, Beth. I didn't mean to personally attack- just wanted to point out how arrogant one can sound when making such a statement. And Skiwee, just because someone has a degree doesn't make them omniscient. I think that having a degree sometimes doesn't hold a candle to actual experience- in this case, the other poster's friend who successfully breastfed before AND after her trip to Germany.

Give me someone with a degree anytime over someone that KNOWS someone that did something! LOL!

Meanwhile, some of us will continue to have wondeful visions of children of all ages enjoying the Florida sun! Is there not surely a time when folks agree to disagree?

Smile, we're talking about Disney here....

Pat

I can tell you from experience travelling to WDW with an infant is easier than with a toddler. I have 8 trips with my son ranging from 6 Months 3 days through 3 1/2 years old. And the older he gets the harder it is to travel.

Why did we take him so young. Well, it was my idea and it was for ME! For once in my life I was selfish. I waited 14 years of marriage until my wife decided she wanted to have a child (this change of heart happend at Disney/MGM Studios - my most magical moment). Being a Disney vet, over 15 trips at that time - I could not wait to take my son to WDW. Does he remember it - no. Do I? YES, YES, YES!! I still get goosebumps and swelled eyes over some things that we did that trip. I love to see his face now watching the videos of him at that age touching Pooh and Tigger. It was a very good trip.

Because we did so many trips without a child we always thought of WDw as an adult place. I found out the true disney magic by eatching my son more or less grow up in the parks. He taught me to slow down and notice the little things. He probably has been in the WDW parks over 90 days (I do not feel like doing the math right now) and each time we dicover something new and exciting.

Besides, I could have never left my child at that age at home. He is much to special. We also take him everywhere we go on property except for V&A. He is a good little traveller and I cannot wait to share even more joys and experiences with him.
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I was wondering if it was selfish of me to bring DD at 1 year to WDW- like is the trip for me or her? I want her first trip to be special, and simple, and natural, and comfortable. I won't lie, I'm thrilled she'll get in for free, but I would buy the ticket if I had to. I can't wait to see her enjoy the simplest parts of WDW, get lots of pictures, and just plain enjoy spending the quality time with me and DH, when we will be mellow and laid back. It took me a while to convince DH that she will be ready to enjoy WDW at that age, albeit a different way than we will. Now that I read these posts, it sounds that it will be an easier trip with her at 12 months than 2 years. She is good natured and sweet. I am getting teary just thinking of the experiences she will have, even at 12 months.

It doesn't matter whether your a few months old or several decades old...any age is the right age to visit WDW!:earsboy::earsgirl:

Originally posted by Baloo
It doesn't matter whether your a few months old or several decades old...any age is the right age to visit WDW!:earsboy::earsgirl:

Bravo! Isn't that the whole point of Disney?

Pat

We were married 11 years before our dream come true came into our lives. We spent many vacations at WDW and became DVC members in 1995.
We took our DD to WDW in January at 3-1/2 months. Yes, we went for the 2 of us, plus I wanted those precious pictures of her with Pooh. We had some difficult times when we brought her home and really needed a vacation.
She will be going back next month and turn 8 months on the trip. We will also be going in October at 13 months and December.
I couldn't imagine not taking her with us! We get to see everything through her eyes. It is wonderful, even at such a young age.
It was actually easier at WDW than at home. There are 2 parents at all times, no cooking or cleaning or pets to deal with.
The babycare centers are wonderful! The characters and cast members fawned over her. It was a priceless trip and we look forward to making many more memories at WDW.
By the way, our daughter was adopted. We saw her for the first time when she was 9 days old and brought her home at 1 month old.

LOL Jodi....no need to change your screen name yet--unless you next post is 6 ppl staying in an ALL Stars room;)

This is just one of those topics posters are very passionate about. We took my boys last year in Sept (15 yrs, 12 yrs, 2 yrs and 5 months). We had a great time. To me everything special at Disney is even more special when I can share it with my boys--even if its the tiny one and he is to little to remember everything.
I look back on my pictures, and the little ones will too when they are older, and see themselves with Pooh or Mickey and it will make them feel good to see they were not left out.
This year my boys will 16, 13, 3 and 1 when we take our trip and I cant think of anything more special than sharing Disney with them.
BTW I did go to Dis con in Dec with no kids and even though I had some fun I missed the boys a ton. My first day everytime I saw a baby I wanted to cry. I was bf (still am) bf and I can say it wasnt tons of fun pumping. We did get back to our bf when I got home, it was a little tough for a day or 2 but we got back into it.

I know we should move away from the BF'ing part, but I did want to bring a couple of things up. first many babies have never had (and never will have) a baby bottle in their mouths.
Also Depending on the age of the child and the milk supply, the mother might need to pump every 2-3 hours. She would then need to get the milk cold within a short time, and then frozen with a few hours. Just how would "you" (the collective you) suggest a mother do this in the middle of WDW? Nursing IMHO is much easier than pumping.

Jodi1980 ... I am still curious as to why you started this thread.

Bird-Mom's post certainly did not come across as arrogant. It was in response to crisi's post accusing birdmom of posting misinformation. Sorry but a trained "expert" knows more than someone who knows someone whos said their wife didn't have problems. Crisi knows 4 people who pumped and had no problems. Bird Mom works with nursing mothers. So who do you think see more nuring moms and know more about the problems they face? As a mother whos milk dried up while pumping, I know first hand that it does happen, so why chance it when you don't have too?

Now back to the OP ...

I didn't have kids so I could go off and leave them with a baby sitter. Babies are just as much a part of a family as older children, so why wouldn't you bring a baby along?

They would'nt know if mom and dad left them with the grandparents and the other children could have fun with their parents at WDW.
You're not serious are you? Do you really think a baby wouldn't know that their mom or dad was not around?

Also Depending on the age of the child and the milk supply, the mother might need to pump every 2-3 hours. She would then need to get the milk cold within a short time, and then frozen with a few hours. Just how would "you" (the collective you) suggest a mother do this in the middle of WDW? Nursing IMHO is much easier than pumping.

Of course you are right about this, but every day, working moms all over the world do this. I am not sure how we got on this topic originally, but as a mom who breastfed for almost a year, and worked, and traveled, I do find it offensive for people to say that leaving a baby would "absolutely destroy the breastfeeding relationship". I pumped on business trips and dumped the milk. If you were at WDW w/o your baby, that's probably what you'd do. You could go to one of the baby care centers, in the lav (bc if you're throwing it out, you don't care about sanitation), etc... I pumped at work, and put it in a cooler. I pumped in cars, on airplanes, in a law library and other rather interesting places. It's really not that bad once you get used to it.

Do we wonder why so many moms won't nurse? If you went to a lactation consultant, and this is what she told you when you said that you'd be going back to work in 6 wks and that you travel for your job, would you even start? My lactation consultant told me every baby is different, every mom is different, and that we should try it to see if it worked. Lots of nursed babies will take a bottle. Lots won't. You can't know until you try, and you don't start the day you are leaving, it's a process and you try it and if it does not work out, you go to Plan B.

This is the message we should be sending to new moms.

Sorry to go so far off topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter