Can you get add-ons with the Dining Plan?

calgarygary said:
I'm not sure why that would be considered petty. When you dine out at home, are you charged for only 1 beverage if you have both ice tea and coffee with your meal?

Actually, at most of the restaurants we go to, I am not charged for a 2nd drink when I order coffee (and dessert).

This will be our first trip using the DDP. However, on other trips to Disney restaurants, I have never been charged for changing to coffee when I order dessert.

I think everyone needs to realize that regardless of what you read here you will find there is no consistency at Disney concerning anything.

Someone will be charged for add ons, someone else won't. Same with drinks. The best policy is just ask and then if they say it will be extra then decide if you want it.

Being argumentative with the server will only give you indigestion.

Having worked in the restaurant business many years ago, and also dining out a lot myself it has been my experience that a standard cup of coffee with your dessert is usually NOT charged for if you have been drinking another "refillable" beverage (such as tea or soda) It's no different to bring another glass of tea than it is to bring out some coffee. If you started with coke and then switched to diet coke should the server charge you for a 2nd beverage? It's the same principle.
As a server we only charged for the additional coffee if a) the person was not already drinking a beverage such as above (for example--wine, beer, water) or if they ordered a specialty coffee after dinner drink.
Any server that is charging extra for bringing a coffee at the end of a meal where you are already drinking a refillable beverage is doing so to increase their check amount. They can certainly pour you a cup of coffee and it's not as if there are restaurant police standing over them each time they get a beverage for someone to see if it is on their check!

I agree with n2mm--it's being petty to charge for the coffee if she's already drinking tea.
I'm not a coffee drinker so this will not effect me directly, but I think it gives a bad name for those places doing this (and that it was NOT the case when paying out of pocket for these meals.)
I think it is poor customer service by the server personally (you don't have to agree with me, but that's my opinion)

To answer the OP's question, it has been my experience lately on the dining plan that if you want the add-ons you have to pay for them. They are not included in the entree price and have to be paid for out of pocket.

Sue Ellen

n2mm said:
No, I can honestly say, I've never seen coffee added to my bill. We usually look at the bill, since my husband was a CM until recently for 8 years, we always had the gratuity added to the bill. We always have to check to make sure it is there and do take a look at the bill. I'm impressed that you have had 1,000 meals a year at WDW....wow. Even going to WDW 6 times a year, we can't come anywhere close to that. I thought we were above average spending 40-50 vacation days a year in WDW.[/QUOTE

Since you've never noticed being charged for coffee before, and others have, maybe the difference is that you weren't being charged for the coffee because your husband was a cast member. It's one of those things that you don't have to ring into the register in order to get it ordered up (like food or bar drinks) so it might be just a small extra perk that cast members do for each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter