• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can you sit on the MYW park tickets?

Cheap-n-Dale

Mouseketeer
I am currently an AP holder. Can I book this free dining package, and then sit on the tickets until next year. If I don't start them they don't expire in 14 days right? Basically I am trading a $18 a night ap discount on a value hotel, for $90 worth of free dining? Can that be right. :confused3

i don't believe you can sit on them, but that would be a good question for guest services... what you can do, and a lot of people are doing, is book a one day ticket w/their package and using their AP for the rest of their days...

I would think if you purchase the non expiry option you could... however just a one day non expire is expensive so it would be cheaper per day in the end to purchase more days upfront.

chipscinderelly said:
I would think if you purchase the non expiry option you could... however just a one day non expire is expensive so it would be cheaper per day in the end to purchase more days upfront.

They are suppose to expire 14 AFTER YOUR FIRST USE. I can live with that if I don't first use them until next year sometime.

One day base for the group would be $230, which would mean we eat for $60 a day.

Cheap-n-Dale said:
They are suppose to expire 14 AFTER YOUR FIRST USE. I can live with that if I don't first use them until next year sometime.
Hmmm...I'd like to know if that will work! Interesting thought! :flower:

Cheap-n-Dale said:
I am currently an AP holder. Can I book this free dining package, and then sit on the tickets until next year. If I don't start them they don't expire in 14 days right? Basically I am trading a $18 a night ap discount on a value hotel, for $90 worth of free dining? Can that be right. :confused3

You're trading for the $18 per night plus the cost of one 1 day ticket per person in your party becaus eyou need at least one day. We also have an AP and my TA gave me a quote of $1068.75 for 2 adults , 1 jr & 1 child for 10 days at Pop. We are booked for 10 nights at WL for $1382.60 for 10 nights. Even if I split my stay, between Pop & a mod I'm still saving money plus eating at places we'd never eat. The only wrinkle for us is that I have less time to pay for it because a package has to be paid for in advance of arrival.

I was figuring the tix would be a wash since I would most likley never use them. Renewing my AP will always be a better deal, I would never need a one day ticket.

Edit: just found out I can hold on to the ticket & use it next year to wards a new AP. COOL!!

Elise

I am wondering this too! As a FL resident I can get a "3-days for the price of 2" ticket which expires 6 months after activation. I currently hold a seasonal pass which expires at the end of August. If I can purchase the MYW package with free dining then I wouldn't mind spending the extra money on the tickets which I could use after my passes expire, but this is only if the "3-days for the price of 2" tickets aren't activated upon check-in.

Sounds like a complicated question for CRO!

mamapajama said:
You're trading for the $18 per night plus the cost of one 1 day ticket per person in your party becaus eyou need at least one day.
Elise

Right, I know I can do that. But instead of buying a 1 day ticket, I want to get 5 or 6 days and hold on to them to use next year after the ap expires.

I was wondering the same thing. I know the MYW tickets come on your room key when you get a package, but there isn't anything that says you can't hold on to the tix and use them at a later date.

I think this is something you would have to call Guest Services to ask. Even then, I would keep your receipt with the tix/cards for when you go to use them in the future.

The other question is: can you sit on your tickets and apply them to an Annual Pass later? I'm going with my DH, DD and her cousin. We all have APs and the cousin does not. We have some left-over passes she can use (*gasp*), but not enough for the whole stay. If I bought a 6 day park-hopper for everyone then she could use that for the last 6 nights. I would then like to apply our days to our AP renewal in December. Then, I wouldn't be out the $230 for 4 one-day passes.

I have asked this question and I am told that as long as they are never used they wouldn't expire & they can be used toward an AP purchase. This is what we plan to do. I am buying a 1 day pass (we have an AP) and I am going to use it next year towards a new AP. I guess I'd have to tell them at check-in that I do not want to use the 1 day pass. They can't foce you to use it but I am going to check with my TA when she gets back to work on Monday to be sure.

Elise

Cheap-n-Dale said:
Right, I know I can do that. But instead of buying a 1 day ticket, I want to get 5 or 6 days and hold on to them to use next year after the ap expires.
I see. So it's sort of like you are pre-paying towards next year's trip then. That's what we plan to do with the 1 day we buy. I will use it next year towards a new AP. I don't have enough money to buy more than 1 day now. We just came back from a trip in May & I have to have my Summer trip paid for in 6 weeks now that we are doing this package.

Elise

robinb said:
The other question is: can you sit on your tickets and apply them to an Annual Pass later? I'm going with my DH, DD and her cousin. We all have APs and the cousin does not. We have some left-over passes she can use (*gasp*), but not enough for the whole stay. If I bought a 6 day park-hopper for everyone then she could use that for the last 6 nights. I would then like to apply our days to our AP renewal in December. Then, I wouldn't be out the $230 for 4 one-day passes.

That sounds good.

Elise

I booked our trip with 7 day MYW passes. I am taking my neice with us and she needs passes anyway. I verified with a CM that as long as we didn't activate the passes, we could upgrade them at renewal time in December (we'll be at WDW). The CM even said we could renew our APs early in August, but I thought we could only do that within a month of our renewal date.

I don't mind "pre-paying" for our APs at all :). We're paying only $40 per night more than the AP rate for the dining plan. While not "free" for us, it's pretty darn cheap :).

Just remember that you CAN'T use AP rate for room if you're doing MYW dining plan. I asked this yesterday and was told you can't do it...You have to pay rack rate. So you may have to run some more numbers if you were originally get an AP rate for a room.

i ran the numbers for our vacation and the money we save on food wayyyyy outweighs what we'd save on a hotel discount! :)

Cheap-n-Dale said:

And, you have the option WITHIN those 14 days of adding the no-expiry for $35.

mamapajama said:
I have asked this question and I am told that as long as they are never used they wouldn't expire & they can be used toward an AP purchase. This is what we plan to do. I am buying a 1 day pass (we have an AP) and I am going to use it next year towards a new AP. I guess I'd have to tell them at check-in that I do not want to use the 1 day pass. They can't foce you to use it but I am going to check with my TA when she gets back to work on Monday to be sure.

Elise
As long as you purchase the "no expiration" option when purchasing the tickets you can absolutely "sit on them" as long as you like. :wave2:

jmclester said:
As long as you purchase the "no expiration" option when purchasing the tickets you can absolutely "sit on them" as long as you like. :wave2:

I don't think I don't need the no exp feature because I don't plan on using the one day pass at all. It expires 14 days after you first use it. At least, that is how it was explained to me. So I will not use it & then just trade it in towards a new AP next year. :cool1:

Elise

mamapajama said:
I don't think I don't need the no exp feature because I don't plan on using the one day pass at all. It expires 14 days after you first use it. At least, that is how it was explained to me. So I will not use it & then just trade it in towards a new AP next year. :cool1:

Elise

That should work too!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter