Canceling next week's WDW trip. 😥 NY alternatives?

As much as I'm fantasizing going without them, I still gotta live with them.

There have been recent studies that all this 'togetherness" is actually ruining relationships and families and ending marriages. You can use the excuse that you are going down to save your family. :teleport: ;)

Imazadi, thank you for all that. I read the entire post. Maybe you had to be in the NY/NJ area to truly understand what we went through in the beginning. After working so hard to get the numbers down I wish we could lock our borders. Unfortunately our county in south Jersey is seeing rising numbers again.

I also second the Amish View Inn, it's our favorite.

what county I live in south jersey Cumberland county haven’t heard anything
Guess I could go look.

Quite familiar with Elmhurst hospital, and it was probabbly the most extreme case in New York. And most likely the instances were heavily related to unregulated subways.
We never ran out of abilighty to accommodate patients, yes we shut all research and yes our era were full. What were the conditions of the people who were returned to these facilities? T

Last edited:
What were the conditions of the people who were returned to these facilities?

According to Michael Dowling, CEO, Northwell Health Hospitals who dealt with many of the cases in NYC, L.I. and Westchester, "This study highlighted a critically important fact that the overwhelming majority of hospital patients sent back into nursing homes were not only medically stable, they were no longer contagious, and that 81 percent of the nursing homes receiving COVID patients from New York's hospitals already had the virus."

Pea-n-Me, I know you are VERY PASSIONATE about telling me in various posts how great the hospitals & healthcare workers in Massachusetts did with COVID over NYS! :hyper:

But I would be remiss if I didn't do my own research on Massachusetts hospitals and their own number of Coronavirus deaths linked to nursing homes. And I noticed you left this section out earlier.

In this NY Times article, updated Aug 13th, in terms of percentage, it lists Massachusetts as SIXTH, SIXTH worst in the U.S. in terms of percentage of cases who died in nursing homes due to Coronavirus. 64% of the COVID cases in Massachusetts nursing homes died.

NY is down at 45th on the list, still as of Aug 13th, at 20%. Even if they left off some numbers, it's nowhere near SIXTH. Even if we generously raised the percentage to 50%, that would still make NY around 22nd on the list.

I can't do as good a job at explaining as the list and map do, so I will just post them for people to read if they like.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-nursing-homes.html
Sorry, I already stepped off the crazy train so I can no longer engage - except to say, oh yeah, you didn’t invent proning!

https://www.aacn.org/newsroom/icus-turn-to-prone-positioning-for-patients-with-ards

For everyone else, it’s very sad when you get the above type of escalated, directed attack (not just there but more discreetly earlier in the day in post #39 here) because you dared to disagree with someone or politely introduced another viewpoint.

I think @Imzadi ’s personal attacks here on @low-key earlier in the thread (now removed) were disgraceful, too. Time to step away from the keyboard when benign, non-threatening posts induce the degree of hostility displayed in this thread.

Last edited:
I posted Googleable FACTS. You are the one who is having a problem with them. So I removed them. Even though they are true.

I posted Googleable FACTS. You are the one who is having a problem with them. So I removed them. Even though they are true.
I wasn’t having a problem with anything. I just pointed out another viewpoint and you freaked. I never once criticized NY. Anywhere. I love NY and it has been a part of my life in various ways forever. I deliberately stayed off most of the Covid threads here for a reason. I had to live it in real life in the ICUs while many were armchairing their expertise from the safety and comfort of their homes. We had 62,205 cases with 3,562 deaths here by the end of April. Boston is a lot smaller than NYC. NYC wasn’t the only place that was overwhelmed. And none of us were perfect. We all did the best we could under the circumstances, and that includes our leaders. It was new territory for all of us.

Our alternative was to rent a house on Seneca Lake in the finger lakes. We thought that was a good idea since it we could do all of our own cooking and wouldn’t be sharing accommodations
It really is beautiful there.

I agree. I grew up near Keuka Lake, and the area is just gorgeous! For anyone who likes hiking, I can’t recommend Watkins Glen enough.

And as much as I love visiting the Finger Lakes in the summer, fall is even prettier, so it’s not too late for those close by to enjoy. (Of course, I am not advocating visiting from all over the country right now.)

Didn't get to read all the replies, but we're in the same boat. We live in Buffalo and are likely canceling our October trip due to the quarantine mandates that we would not be able to abide by. We are going next week to the Thousand Islands area. Alexandria Bay and Clayton have some resorts and both towns are worth exploring. We enjoy the boat rides to Singer Island, Millionaire's Row, and Boldt Castle in Alex Bay.

The Otesaga Resort in Cooperstown is operating I believe. I would check to see what all is open in Cooperstown first, but from what I've seen on the news, its very quiet there which would be a nice way to experience it. Cooperstown is quaint and obviously fun for baseball fans.

The Lake House hotel just opened in Canandaigua which is in the Finger Lakes region. Its the former Inn on the Lake hotel, and I'm bias because I got married there four years ago :) But they knocked it down and built the Lake House in its place from the ground up and its gorgeous. Its right on the lake with boat rentals, two restaurants, pool. A spa will open there in October. Lots of great dining that is walking distance of the hotel and of course, wine tours! Canandaigua is the largest wine producing region in the state.

Look into Rocking Horse Ranch in Highland, NY. Plenty to do at the resort and in the neighboring Catskills areas.

OP, I'm a NYer (state not NYC) and we just got back from a week on the Maine coast. We were originally supposed to vacation in a state that made the quarantine list but had to cancel. Almost ended up at the Jersey shore but I really wanted to avoid it as it's always crowded and wasn't even sure if everything on the BW would be open. Plus I like more outdoor activities that involve nature than rides and mini golf. Maine was a great option.
Of course NY has it's own great destinations, you can check out the Catskills- Windham and Hunter mountains have summer activities- zipline, hiking, biking, sky rides 4X4 tours. Not to mention the hiking trails and waterfalls in the area. I'm not sure what is actually open but it's worth checking.

OP, I'm a NYer (state not NYC) and we just got back from a week on the Maine coast.

We also spent a week in a cottage on the Maine coast, up in Lubec, as Far East as you can go. Like Hikergirl, we spend most of our time outdoors, hiking and exploring. This part of downeast Maine is much like Acadia without the crowds. Very few restaurants are open up there but we did order take out one day.
Another option if the OP is interested in a resort type experience, check out Jiminy Peak in western Massachusetts, just over the New York border in the Berkshires. Zip lines, mountain coaster, hiking, and more.

I wasn’t having a problem with anything. I just pointed out another viewpoint and you freaked. I never once criticized NY. Anywhere. I love NY and it has been a part of my life in various ways forever. I deliberately stayed off most of the Covid threads here for a reason. I had to live it in real life in the ICUs while many were armchairing their expertise from the safety and comfort of their homes. We had 62,205 cases with 3,562 deaths here by the end of April. Boston is a lot smaller than NYC. NYC wasn’t the only place that was overwhelmed. And none of us were perfect. We all did the best we could under the circumstances, and that includes our leaders. It was new territory for all of us.

View attachment 519150
It's been quite apparent that some NYers (usually from around NYC) are extremely protective and defensive of it all. I believe they have good intentions at heart but they've become tone deaf when it comes to discussion IMO. There is no other area or state in the U.S. that I've seen the sort of defensive behavior and it gets to the point of ignoring what others have experienced and really most of those posters don't seem to care either the plights of the rest of the U.S. unless it's to state how well they've done and how poorly some other area has done (though I do see that tri-state or new england are mentioned too when it comes to defensiveness) at least it comes off that way.

Most of us are willing to accept the good and the bad..sometimes focusing heavily on the good, still though. I don't wish to stray too far off topic but that sort of attitude has bled through every thread out here with the same several posters who leap on virtually anyone who says anything that might be perceived as negative towards NY (and yes I have seen the nursing home example many times..may be time to retire that as well).

To get the point across as it relates to this thread the best IMO is simply to state the quarantine/travel requirements without focusing this or that. Numbers are just numbers until they change as we've seen throughout the world. When you go on and on how great NY has done this or that you stray off into the boastful, very defensive, tone deaf path instead of the informative "no you really can't do that" (which leaves the emotion out of it) to the poster (low-key) that brought it up. I'm not too familiar with that poster but I don't think their comment warranted jumping on them like they were trying to be the ruin of NY. That happens when it comes to Disney (to bring back to this board itself) that I've seen too instead of just saying "no you really can't do that" there becomes a back and forth with how doing this or that negatively impacts this or that.

*Please know I am not trying to be rude here! I'm also not going to respond to quotes of my comment here so this thread doesn't go too far off track again. I mainly came to say I know what you're saying and there are people that do agree with you.

Lot of good examples people have given you on where you could go in NY. NY has a lot of beautiful nature to explore.

Someone mentioned Finger Lakes--to add to that Ithaca, NY is beautiful. Those gorges are stunning! I haven't been to the Botanical gardens on Cornell's campus but I hear it's lovely and peaceful.

It's been quite apparent that some NYers (usually from around NYC) are extremely protective and defensive of it all. I believe they have good intentions at heart but they've become tone deaf when it comes to discussion IMO. There is no other area or state in the U.S. that I've seen the sort of defensive behavior and it gets to the point of ignoring what others have experienced and really most of those posters don't seem to care either the plights of the rest of the U.S. unless it's to state how well they've done and how poorly some other area has done (though I do see that tri-state or new england are mentioned too when it comes to defensiveness) at least it comes off that way.

Most of us are willing to accept the good and the bad..sometimes focusing heavily on the good, still though. I don't wish to stray too far off topic but that sort of attitude has bled through every thread out here with the same several posters who leap on virtually anyone who says anything that might be perceived as negative towards NY (and yes I have seen the nursing home example many times..may be time to retire that as well).

To get the point across as it relates to this thread the best IMO is simply to state the quarantine/travel requirements without focusing this or that. Numbers are just numbers until they change as we've seen throughout the world. When you go on and on how great NY has done this or that you stray off into the boastful, very defensive, tone deaf path instead of the informative "no you really can't do that" (which leaves the emotion out of it) to the poster (low-key) that brought it up. I'm not too familiar with that poster but I don't think their comment warranted jumping on them like they were trying to be the ruin of NY. That happens when it comes to Disney (to bring back to this board itself) that I've seen too instead of just saying "no you really can't do that" there becomes a back and forth with how doing this or that negatively impacts this or that.

*Please know I am not trying to be rude here! I'm also not going to respond to quotes of my comment here so this thread doesn't go too far off track again. I mainly came to say I know what you're saying and there are people that do agree with you.
Thank you!

Lived raised and plan to die in NYC. And love you all.
Love the people and saw first hand the doctors nurses and essential workers, who show you truely what NY is all about. As well as very informative officials who really tried hard to do best and keep people informed. I just think they made a really bad mistake or 2.... Ones they later corrected, I mean send the people to an open hotel if they are recuperating, or change the restraints on Javits.. Its a state facility, I'd know worked there for many years. In fact its is a loosely regulated facility, where governor has a lot of control.
When I was there both people who ran it were appointees by Governors(R. Boyle with Pataki, and I forget guy when Mario was governor but he was Mario's Law teacher and close acquaintance.. Or worse case leave them in hospital - not ICU. We never had capacity we could not handle, and sending back to homes just up'd the chances of getting more Critical elderly patients. Yes maybe Elmhurst hospital had to send elsewhere, and yes nobody knew what next week was going to look like.. but still. IMO a really bad mistake.

Last edited:
or change the restraints on Javits.. Its a state facility, I'd know worked there for many years. In fact its is a loosely regulated facility, where governor has a lot of control.

Yes, it is a state facility, but it is/was used to house a FEDERAL field hospital. Therefore, the state does not have the power to just change the regulations.

Okay then it was a federal mistake not to take them. I really do not care who made the mistake. It was a stupid stupid stupid thing to send people who might have still been contagious to a facility where many people who are likely to die or become an ER patient if they catch the disease reside. There were already cases of people leaving hospitals in Korea or China who returned to hospital with disease again, so there was knowledge that they might not have contagious stage fully understood. I mean they did stop the practice so someone must have thought it a bad decision at one point or another.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter