Canceling next week's WDW trip. 😥 NY alternatives?

You guys are lucky when it comes to local travel. Texas is so much less interesting and ridiculously hot too.

Lived raised and plan to die in NYC. And love you all.

Me too. Just hopefully not of COVID.

I mean send the people to an open hotel if they are recuperating, or change the restraints on Javits..

Yes, that's a great idea. We now have homeless housed in hotels in NYC and they are having a hard time adjusting to the it. Many have left to just make their own encampments on the streets. It is also bringing drug dealers and panhandlers to the areas to take advantage of the situation. There are reports that the hotels are being trashed and empty drug syringes, garbage & defecation left all over the streets.

It would have been great to move patients to the hotels and refit each room for stable patients if extra beds were needed. We already had many of the 30,000 volunteer healthcare workers who traveled in from all over the U.S. to help during the beginning and the apex, stay in hotels. The hotels could have done double duty.

Maybe turn part of the Javits into a place the homeless can stay. That place is HUGE.

Yes, it is a state facility, but it is/was used to house a FEDERAL field hospital. Therefore, the state does not have the power to just change the regulations.

Yes, the NY Gov. had to request POTUS if they would fit the Javits Convention Center and turn it into a COVID hospital.So it turned into a joint effort.

"The Army Corps of Engineers along with civilian staffers from the federal government have been working around the clock to convert the convention center into a working hospital."

Later, he had to ask if it can stay in case we go through a second wave in the fall and need it again. POTUS agreed.

"Cuomo said at the press conference that he did not want to have to 'ask the federal government to build capacity, then take it down, and then wind up in another problem area.'"

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-04-02-20

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/27/coronavirus-keeping-pop-up-hospitals-open-for-second-wave.html

So, I think he'd have to ask for permission for it to be changed for any other purpose. He had to do that when he requested that the USNS Comfort be changed from non-COVID facility to a COVID one. Then that turned into a different problem of regulations. :(

Last edited:
OP - we live in the Finger Lakes (which is a great weekend getaway), but DH & I recently made a trip to the Catskills. We stayed at the Roxbury Motel in Roxbury, NY. Each room is exquisitely themed and I mean down to the last detail. I don't say this lightly, but it was beyond Disney quality. You can just see the love and time and sweat the owners have poured into this place. We were at their Stratton Falls location and it was immaculately clean, the service was wonderful, breakfast was fantastic, and the grounds were beautiful.

Do a quick Google search and you'll see what I mean. Oh and if you're wanting to add a Disney touch to your stay, check out their "Cinderella's Gown" room!

I am completely confused as to what all the data provided has to do with a New York state resident looking for a New York state vacation destination :confused3. Or am I wrong about OP living in NYS?

She is clearing up someone's misinformation. Don't read it if you don't want this info, she has been tirelessly and meticulously giving us updated real info and real stats, and I for one very much appreciate it.

Caring for sick, elderly, contagious patients in hotels would bring a wealth of its own problems too. First, there are fire regulations - some for hotels, and some for hospitals. Each very strict, with good reason. Many hotels in the area are old. There needs to be equipment and lots of it in there - oxygen and other gaseous lines, mobility equipment as you actually have to move people around, even when bedridden, medication storage and systems, as well as safeguards required by the DPH (not to mention numerous other hospital overseers), charting systems (most are electronic today) so lots and lots of computer networks, monitoring equipment like telemetry and such, which requires satellite systems, camera systems for safety, security, and perhaps most important, negative air flow rooms. Even if hotels had all that, which they don’t, caring for this population presents huge challenges to staff. It’s just not realistic to think that housing in hotels would’ve been possible for them when there were other alternatives that had all that in place already as well as staff prepared to care for patients.

Spent many summers in Lake George. Wonderful spot, and just bout the coldest water you will ever put your foot into till about this time Mid August.

We were swimming, tubing and kayaking in the Schroon River outside Lake George couple weekends ago and water very warm. Very hot summer here in NY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter