Cancelled by ABD: It DOES happen :(

Oops...hit enter before I responded to the quote above. Anyway, I completely agree. I only knew about the cancellation policy because of this board, which is completely unacceptable given the importance. If I were cynical, I might think that they purposefully don't make it known. I can't imagine many people would be excited to book expensive trips like this knowing that it could be cancelled at the last minute with no explanation.

Is this cancellation policy industry standard or do most guarantee across the board or at a certain point?

Interesting update to my situation...our dates have disappeared from the ABD website. The trip was showing there yesterday.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the "comparable" Tauck Bridges trip. It's not really comparable because the only thing the itineraries have in common is Neuschwanstein, but it's the closest. Anyway, Tauck shows that there were 9 available itineraries for 2015 travel to the Swiss, Austrian, and Bavarian Alps. Five of them show as unavailable and two show as limited availability...so essentially 7/9 trips are sold out, or close to sold out.

Comparatively, the ABD website shows 8 Germany itineraries as still being available. Makes me wonder why Tauck seems to be selling so much better...especially when Tauck's prices are within $50-$350 of ABD's prices (so it's not as though they are a lot cheaper).

Interesting update to my situation...our dates have disappeared from the ABD website. The trip was showing there yesterday.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at the "comparable" Tauck Bridges trip. It's not really comparable because the only thing the itineraries have in common is Neuschwanstein, but it's the closest. Anyway, Tauck shows that there were 9 available itineraries for 2015 travel to the Swiss, Austrian, and Bavarian Alps. Five of them show as unavailable and two show as limited availability...so essentially 7/9 trips are sold out, or close to sold out.

Comparatively, the ABD website shows 8 Germany itineraries as still being available. Makes me wonder why Tauck seems to be selling so much better...especially when Tauck's prices are within $50-$350 of ABD's prices (so it's not as though they are a lot cheaper).
Well, again, this is only a guess, but Tauck has been around WAY, WAY longer than ABD has, and has a lot more visibility to the general population than ABD does. (Tauck was founded in 1925). I would be willing to bet that a lot of folks who book through Tauck have never even heard of ABD. Unfortunately, ABD is still much more of a niche business than Tauck is.

Sayhello

Just an fyi, the Germany Tauck is not a Bridges tour. It's a World Discovery toure. We knew someone who did that particular trip and raved about it. The only thing you need to think of, as quoted, the group is very geriatric so it caters to that age group, which means not a whole lot of walking and lots of coach rides. The Bridges tours are the ones that cater to families.

This seems to be a very "penny wise, pound foolish" type of policy. While ABD has a good product, poor customer service and asking the customer to bear ALL the risk for cancellations won't drive loyalty or help to retain customers. It's basic Marketing 101...it's a lot cheaper to keep/delight existing customers vs. acquiring new ones.

We have a Baltic cruise ABD add-on for the summer, but currently don't have any plans to book a trip in 2016. After planning and going on a fabulous trip to Japan in March, it's making me re-think if the ABD mark-up is worth it. I was able to book great private tour guides, do fun family-friendly outings and navigate the country just fine. It was a lot of time/planning on my part, but we were able to do 9 fabulous days for ~$20k (including airfare) - I'm sure this would have been more than double if part of an organized tour.

The river cruises are very appealing, but I'm sure those will skyrocket in price if they're popular this year, and I'm not willing to spend much more than the initial roll-out prices. I don't like booking a trip in the inaugural year, since I thought our Scotland trip was below par. We were the third group to go out in the first year, and I was really disappointed that the kinks hadn't been worked out, the guides were lackluster, and >50% of the group were contest winners (which totally changed the dynamics of the trip). The trips got better as ABD got more trips under their belt, but I'm still annoyed that I spent $20k with ABD to be part of their "beta-testing".

I'll be curious to know how their cancellation policy and overall ABD programs change over the coming year....

I just wrote to ABD through the contact on the website to express my disappointment with their "guarantee" policy (actually their no-guarantee policy!) and asking them to revisit the recent change. We'll see what they say.

I think Tauck trips sell out because they have been around a long time, as Sayhello mentioned, and they have a very loyal customer base, because they offer an excellent product. The Bridges trips sell out consistently, just like the World Discovery trips. Many of the people I've traveled with on TB trips have heard of ABD or have taken an ABD trip. The company with the best cancellation policy is Thomson Family Adventures. They never cancel a trip, regardless of the number of people booked.

Well, again, this is only a guess, but Tauck has been around WAY, WAY longer than ABD has, and has a lot more visibility to the general population than ABD does. (Tauck was founded in 1925). I would be willing to bet that a lot of folks who book through Tauck have never even heard of ABD. Unfortunately, ABD is still much more of a niche business than Tauck is.

Sayhello

ABD is definitely a niche market and one that is not advertised outside of the US. I'm Canadian and we don't hear anything about ABD up here. The only reason I know about it is cause I'm so into Disney that I learned about them back when they first started up. When I tried to sign up for the Adventure Insiders group through the website I wasn't able to. I couldn't figure out why so I emailed ABD through their website to find out why I couldn't. This is what I got back...

Thank you once more for your e-mail, as well as your continued patience
with us.

We hope you understand that, at this time, any New Adventure Insider
Offer is valid for U.S. residents only. As a matter of consistency, we
would not have an opportunity to consider any exceptions, as it would be
unfair of us to extend offers to some residents of Canada and not
others. I am so sorry for any disappointment this causes. However,
please know that your feedback about extending offers to Canadians is
extremely important to us and will be evaluated by the appropriate
leaders. Though it may take time for the input we receive to be fully
assessed and acted upon as a whole, please believe that we are seriously
committed to, and diligently working toward, providing our guests the
kind of magical vacations they have come to expect from Disney. We will
continue to strive to provide the finest vacation and entertainment
experiences, and we are very grateful for your valuable input to help us
achieve that goal.

Again, I am so sorry for any disappointment and hope to have the chance
to take another adventure with you again one day soon.

This was probably the second email I had from them. I don't understand the bit about extending offers to some residents of Canada (i.e. me and my mom) and not others has to do with not letting me join Adventure Insiders. I took an ABD and actually paid more than most guests on the trip thanks to currency exchanges and such and yet because I'm Canadian, I don't get to be a part of the Adventure Insiders group.

I looked into Tauck for Ireland. I was flat out told I shouldn't sign up. I prefer the vague cancellation policy to be honest.

ABD is definitely a niche market and one that is not advertised outside of the US. I'm Canadian and we don't hear anything about ABD up here. The only reason I know about it is cause I'm so into Disney that I learned about them back when they first started up. When I tried to sign up for the Adventure Insiders group through the website I wasn't able to. I couldn't figure out why so I emailed ABD through their website to find out why I couldn't. This is what I got back...

Thank you once more for your e-mail, as well as your continued patience
with us.

We hope you understand that, at this time, any New Adventure Insider
Offer is valid for U.S. residents only. As a matter of consistency, we
would not have an opportunity to consider any exceptions, as it would be
unfair of us to extend offers to some residents of Canada and not
others. I am so sorry for any disappointment this causes. However,
please know that your feedback about extending offers to Canadians is
extremely important to us and will be evaluated by the appropriate
leaders. Though it may take time for the input we receive to be fully
assessed and acted upon as a whole, please believe that we are seriously
committed to, and diligently working toward, providing our guests the
kind of magical vacations they have come to expect from Disney. We will
continue to strive to provide the finest vacation and entertainment
experiences, and we are very grateful for your valuable input to help us
achieve that goal.

Again, I am so sorry for any disappointment and hope to have the chance
to take another adventure with you again one day soon.

This was probably the second email I had from them. I don't understand the bit about extending offers to some residents of Canada (i.e. me and my mom) and not others has to do with not letting me join Adventure Insiders. I took an ABD and actually paid more than most guests on the trip thanks to currency exchanges and such and yet because I'm Canadian, I don't get to be a part of the Adventure Insiders group.
I think it means they don't want to extend the offer to join Adventure Insiders to just you and your mom, but not offer it to all Canadians. I think it's a logistics issue. I could be wrong about this, but I believe Kevin posted at some point that part of the problem was customs issues ABD has had getting things mailed to folks in Canada. It's my understanding that even getting the pre-adventure boxes to Canadian customers has been a huge issue, and practically takes an act of congress to get done. So it is likely just easier for ABD to not offer the memberships outside of the US for that reason. The program started as a "gift giving" thing, and it's only recently that there have been other benefits like booking trips a day early. I think if they're going to continue with that, they should create a version of Adventure Insiders that only offers those kind of benefits (early booking) and excludes the gifts, so that they don't have the hassle, and you don't miss out on the benefits. Just my opinion. I may have this all totally backwards!

Sayhello

I think it depends on your itinerary. In some cases Tauck's prices can be much less relative to ABD. I have been looking into ABD/Tauck but haven't pulled the trigger yet, mainly because my youngest will only be turning 4 this summer, so he needs few more years to make it memorable and enjoyable for him. And frankly make the $$ worth it. We are a family of 5 and plan way ahead and this cancellation policy is a big negative for ABD. For example, the Grand Canyon. For ABD it is $4249/4069 for adult/child. For Tauck the trip is $3590 for adults and $3390 for children in a double. For a triple (and we would need a double and triple to accomodate us), the price is $3378/3178. That is getting close to a $1K per person difference on the triple. In addition, while I would always pay additional cash gratuities, Tauck director gratuities are inlcuded on Tauck Bridges trips, for my family of 5, that's around an additional $100/day on ABD, is it not? Not much in the grand sceme of a $30K trip, but a difference. On some of the european itinereries, the price differences are similar, and when you get to the point that the price difference more than covers airfare for all of us, it is something to consider.

Of course, this is all drivels from someone who hasn't done either yet. I plan on doing ABD for Peru and maybe Costa Rica starting if they don't jack prices up even higher, and maybe the Danube if pricing is consistent with the current offer, but will probably lean towards Tauck for the rest of our trips.

ETA: We were considering doing the ABD London add on to the Norwegian Fjord cruise out of Dover, but then I saw it would likely cost over $12K for 3 days/2 nights for our family. I think that most ABDs are "worth it" but that one, not so much.

Last edited:
I might be incorrect, but doesn't Tauck only provide you with one Guide (or whatever they call them) while ABD provides 2? Honestly, that could be one reason why they're less money, but I think it is TOTALLY worth it to have 2 Guides. I've seen how they work in tandem, one working with us, while the other solves problems in the background, splitting up to deal with Guests with different abilities, etc. I'd much rather have 2 Guides, but that's me. Plus, I don't think Tauck's Guides are allowed to eat meals with you. I really love how the ABD Guides become a part of the "family", including eating meals with us. I would really miss that.

I have no idea how things like that work with, say, Thomson Family Adventures.

Sayhello

I might be incorrect, but doesn't Tauck only provide you with one Guide (or whatever they call them) while ABD provides 2? Honestly, that could be one reason why they're less money, but I think it is TOTALLY worth it to have 2 Guides. I've seen how they work in tandem, one working with us, while the other solves problems in the background, splitting up to deal with Guests with different abilities, etc. I'd much rather have 2 Guides, but that's me. Plus, I don't think Tauck's Guides are allowed to eat meals with you. I really love how the ABD Guides become a part of the "family", including eating meals with us. I would really miss that.

I have no idea how things like that work with, say, Thomson Family Adventures.

Sayhello

I don't know what Tauck's rules are about the guides dining with the guests, but I know that on the river cruise one of the guides was seated next to me at dinner at the palace in Vienna. I think on the ship, they did eat together. But they were very involved with the guests otherwise and entertained the kids with a lot of activities that were not listed in the itinerary. They flew kites on the ship deck with the kids, rode the roller coaster and bumper cars with them at the Prater, and all 4 guides had a dance party on deck, where they served as bartenders (non-alcoholic, of course) and acted as deejays (I only heard about this, since it was no adults allowed). On our land-based Tauck trip, where there was only one guide, I think she was busy doing all that background stuff while we were having our meals, so she probably didn't have time to eat with us, even if it's allowed. But she was seated with us at the farewell dinner, which I believe is the only time I ever saw her eat anything.

I looked into Tauck for Ireland. I was flat out told I shouldn't sign up. I prefer the vague cancellation policy to be honest.

Was it a Bridges trip? I think they do only allow families on those trips, because the have other itineraries for adults and solos.

I posted this in another post but it seems to have gotten worse since they put various entities under one vice president, ABD unfortunatley falls under Karl Holz who, IMO, is a dolt.

To make everyone feel better I think i can top all the ABD cancellation s, i was booked on the 1st DCL Magic sailing after the Major changes and they cancelled that crusie 3 days prior to sailing. Good lord did I have to scramble to save my vacation

I think ABD also needs to realize that it isn't always about the cancellation but the vacation time involved. I know some of it is school related for travellers but some might be job related. I pick my vacation in December for the entire following year and I might be able to change it but more than likely I won't because only 1 person with the same Title can take the same week off there 10 people with my title where I work and we all get 5 weeks vacation so with 50 weeks out of 52 to choose it highly unlikely that I would be able to switch easily.

I think I am taking a break next year from ABD, I hated my central Europe trip and when I got to speak to an executive about it he was very dismissive and didn't seem interested in the issues I had that to me was very telling in how the higher ups view their returning guests so I am going to send one more letter when I find the time to write it and after I will make my desicion about my furture with ABD. I also want to do a transatlantic cruise and the DCL itineratry for next year to Europe I really like so that will be my big trip in 2016

Tozzie - why did you "hate" Your Central Europe trip? You can PM me if you don't want to post. We are going next month & just want to be ready if there is something I should be aware of. Thanks! :-)

It was not a Bridges trip. I wouldn't even bother with that. I was told I was too young (35). They didn't refuse, but it was highly suggested I not sign up. I was very off put.

Just an fyi, the Germany Tauck is not a Bridges tour. It's a World Discovery toure. We knew someone who did that particular trip and raved about it. The only thing you need to think of, as quoted, the group is very geriatric so it caters to that age group, which means not a whole lot of walking and lots of coach rides. The Bridges tours are the ones that cater to families.

The Alpine Adventure itineraries I was looking at specifically said that it is a Bridges Family Trip. I also filtered my search results to include only family trips, and this one came up. It seems like I saw something about a world discovery tour on some of their other itineraries (it was a little icon next to the travel dates), but not for this one. The details on the intinerary certainly don't seem like they would be appropriate for a geriatric crowd...the trip includes "crazy golf", rock climbing, and a trip to an alpine water park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter