• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cap'n Jacks - WOW! One of the best meals we had all WEEK!

mickey mommy

Mouseketeer
I just thought I'd take a minute and let you know about our Cap'n Jacks Dinner. We were just there on 8/16 and had a 5:40 reservation. Yes, we were on the dining plan! We arrived about 5:35 and I had been expecting to wait awhile since that had been the trend all week. Wherever else we went, we got there within 5 minutes of our reservation time and waited at least 40-50 minutes for our table. Anyway, I'll post those reviews later!

So we checked in at the desk and were asked to have a seat and they would be with us shortly. Well, the waiting area was great because it had a TV tuned to the Disney Channel and the kids were happy with that. We only waited 5 minutes and a hostess called out someone's name. I wasn't paying attention since I figured it would not be ours, so soon! She called us again and it actually was our name! I jumped up and told her that this was the fastest we had been seated all week!

We were led to a table in the bar area against the window and it was a very nice view. My 20 month old was entertained by the boats and ducks going by and my other 3 kids thought it was very cool.

Appetizers - 2 of the kids got the fruit cup and one got the vegetable soup. The fruit was fresh and cold and very good. My son thought the soup was great and kept trying to get me to try it. I did and it was very good.
DH ordered the Spinach and Artichoke Dip served with tortilla chips. That was delicious. It was hot and creamy and was enough for the whole table to share. I ordered the shrimp cocktail which was very good and fresh. I only got to have a few, because the kids each had to try it as well!

Entree - First the kids meals....1 hot dog and 2 macaroni and cheese dishes. Very typical for kids meals. Wish they had shrimp for the kids because they all love seafood. They arrived hot and did not look like they had been sitting very long. DH ordered the Top Sirloin and I ordered the Twin Lobster tails. Our plan was to each have a lobster tail and split the Steak. However, the waitress asked DH if he wanted to add a Lobster tail since it was included with the dining plan! So I had the twin lobster tails and he had his steak and lobster! The lobster tails were wonderful. They were both a very good size and bigger than I had expected! DH thought his steak was just okay. The type of onion gravy that they put on it "made it taste more like a pot roast than a sirloin steak". He did however manage to eat the whole thing! Just not what he was expecting as far as a Sirloin.

Our plates were cleared and we were on to the desserts! 2 of the kids ordered Smoothies as their dessert and one ordered the worms in dirt. They were all very good. I had the Raspberry cheesecake and it was delicious. I could not eat the whole piece. DH ordered the Key Lime Pie and coffee. Everything was super.

Our server was excellent and we had to ask to make sure her gratuity was included since it did not show up on the receipt. We were assured that it was included.

We went on to have a much more enjoyable evening that night and I believe it was because we had a good start with a great dinner. I highly recommend trying this place out if you haven't yet.

Other reviews yet to come -
Le Cellier - Excellent food, loooooong wait for table
Crystal Palace - won't try again, poor service
Whispering Canyon - fun time, good food
Hoop De Doo - Food was ok, show was so much fun

I thought this was funny -- DH and I went to Ruby Tuesdays for dinner tonight, He had a crab cake sandwich.
I asked him how it was. He said it was okay. But it sure was no Captn Jack crab cake sandwich. He says CJ sandwich is MUCH better.
:thumbsup2

I was glad to see your post. DH & I will be trying out Capt. Jack's for the first time this Dec. Happy to see you had a good experience! We have an ADR at about the same time as you did. Hope our results are same! :thumbsup2

This sounds like a great place. We've been wondering about where to eat in Downtown Disney and I think this will be the place. Thanks! :dogdance: :dogdance: :dogdance:

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

We were there on Saturday night around 8:30. I was not looking forward to it but my son was dead-set on this place, I guess he thought he would see pirates or something. The restaurant is very nice with views of the lake and a pleasant relaxed atmosphere. First impressions were good.

We had shrimp cocktails and crab cakes for appetizers, both were above average. At this point I was surprised at the mediocre reviews that this place gets.

We weren't allowed to order a lobster tail with our entrees unless we ordered steak as an entree. My kids had been eating too much steak that week and were hoping for the ribs at Jack's, but decided to go with steak again so that they could have the lobster addition. The steaks were very good, again I was surprised, I ordered twin lobster tails and they were excellent (hey, I'm from Maine and expected the worst....was pleasantly surprised). The chocolate dessert was a great way to top of the meal and our 10 year old was "proud" that he'd picked this great restaurant for our family. On the way out he told the hostess "my compliments to the chef!"

The service was atrocious. As soon as our waiter knew we were on the dining plan, he was practically invisible. They know they're getting their 18% tip no matter what so they don't care. Didnt' see this so much on-property...maybe Disney checks and evaluates the waiters there more thoroughly or something, or maybe Capn' Jacks is where you get to work before you're allowed to work on property. I don't know what the problem was but we practically had to run across the room and trip him if we wanted to order dessert or wanted some coffee or water. When my boys initially asked him "is it true that we can order lobster tail with our meal if we are on the dining plan", the waiter answered "steak". He didn't say "only if you order steak" or "I'm sorry, but lobster tail can only be ordered with our steak entree, or you can get the twin lobster tails". He just said "steak" and stood there with an annoyed look on his face. Bizarre.

Glad to hear that others have had great service here, will try it again if we ever get lucky enough to get in on the free dining plan.

That's too bad about your poor service. We definitely had different servers! Ours was a woman (I'll have to look up the receipt to get her name) and she was on top of things. We never had to ask for a refill and she explained the dining plan and everything we could do with it. Service definitely makes or breaks a meal, imho, but thankfully ours was good!

We liked Cap'n Jacks, too! We loved everything during our 8/11 visit, except the entree side dishes--the veggies were practically raw and the mash was lukewarm and tasteless. But the appetizers and desserts were wonderful, and the lobster tails were perfect.

I was also pleasantly surprised we could add a lobster tail to our steak--our server knew we were DDP and went out of her way to suggest the lobster tail add-on, which was very nice of her. She provided excellent service.

Okay! I just looked at our meal receipts and the name is NANCY! If you are going to Cap'n Jacks and want great service, ASK FOR NANCY!

I am glad to hear that you had a great time! We are going there for the first time in Feb. Is the add on lobster tail free with the DDP if you order the steak, or do you have to pay oop?

jess20k said:
I am glad to hear that you had a great time! We are going there for the first time in Feb. Is the add on lobster tail free with the DDP if you order the steak, or do you have to pay oop?

It was free with the Dining Plan!

mickey mommy said:
Okay! I just looked at our meal receipts and the name is NANCY! If you are going to Cap'n Jacks and want great service, ASK FOR NANCY!

That is who we had too. She is great! We were so pleased we left an extra tip. :thumbsup2

[ :sunny: :) :sunny: /family will be going to Disney for the second time, over Thanksgiving this year. We were trying to figure out where to enjoy our Thanksgiving dinner. :confused3 Has anyone had a really great dinning experience that they would like to share. or for that matter a really poor experience to share. There are four adults and our eleven year old granddaughter, princess: this will be her first time. Thanks for any info. :sunny:

Sounds like a good place to add to our trip in Dec!! I was looking to try something new for our first night!! Glad to hear some good reviews!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter