• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car service or uber from tpa

Dano1182

DIS Veteran
Any thoughts on taking car service from TPA to Poly?
Air fare is cheaper than mco.
Car rental for our trips are also off the charts.
Looking to be creative

I have been getting quotes for TPA to LBV. They range from approx $200 each way upto $540 each way.
We only need a standard size car as we are 3 adults plus 3 bags.
We did save hundreds of £'s on our flights into TPA over flying into MCO, so we'll still save money.
I'm not really keen on the idea of trying to get an uber to take us to LBV after a 9 hour flight. I worry that we won't be able to find one willing to take us.

Please report back if you find any reasonable options!

If you're not in a hurry, you could take Amtrak from TPA to KIS, using Uber to get from the airport to the train station in Tampa and from the Kissimmee station to WDW. There's only one train a day, which is scheduled to depart at 5:20 pm, but it often runs late. But the fare, if purchased in advance with the no refund option, is only $11 a person.

But you'll need to be patient and flexible, as the train is late more often than it's on time. Usually it's within an hour or so, but within the past 30 days it was 3 hours late to Kissimmee once, and a whopping 6 hours late another time. The former was probably a mechanical issue, the latter likely a run-in with an automobile at a grade crossing; when that happens, everything stops until the police complete their investigation.

Seats are guaranteed but not pre-assigned, and the train originates in Miami, so there's also a very good chance that you might have to split up on the train. The train attendant will try to help find seats to keep children with a parent, but there's no guarantee.

Going the other way is more risky. I wouldn't try it unless you have an evening flight and you're willing to spend a good part of the day exploring Tampa. The return train is scheduled to arrive at TPA at 12:55 pm. Over the last 30 days, the train arrived in Tampa 5 1/2 hours late twice, and 90 minutes to 2 1/2 hours late 7 times. Better have a Plan B, and activate it if the train is running more than an hour late into Orlando.

https://www.amtrak.com/home.html

Last edited:
I used Lyft from Tampa airport to AKL recently and it cost $112. The journey was 1 hour 55 mins.

Air fare is cheaper than mco.

Your airfare savings will likely be offset by the cost of whatever online taxi/car service you choose. Most of those work best for short trips within a city not for driving long distances. Probably best to compare the TOTAL cost of airfare + various transportation options to make the best decision.

Slight correction looking to go from wdw to tpa?

I'm looking to do the same and it seems like Uber/Lyft would be a bit over $100

Your airfare savings will likely be offset by the cost of whatever online taxi/car service you choose. Most of those work best for short trips within a city not for driving long distances. Probably best to compare the TOTAL cost of airfare + various transportation options to make the best decision.
The savings for me by flying home from TPA rather than MCO was close to $250 so even with a $100+ Uber/Lyft, it's still cheaper to go out of Tampa.

I have just booked our transport with a company called Oscursions.
We have used them in the past to and from SFB and found them very reliable and the most reasonable of the all the quotes I got.

And we've still saved a fair amount of money by flying into TPA rather than MCO.

Are Uber Lyft drivers able to see destination before they accept a trip? I always wondered
No. If the trip is going to be a longer one, sometimes it will tell them that. They can't usually see the destination until they pick the passenger up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter