Cardboard Disney Gift Cards

@jadephoenixx Wow! I didn't know that app existed! I just downloaded it, and it is asking me for the type of barcode to scan. Trying to figure it out now. Keeping fingers crossed. Thanks for the tip!

Edit: I was able to get the account number...hooray! But I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong...the app doesn't give me the EAN/PIN code. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong? Halfway there!! Thank you!

It was a few months ago when this happened to me and I thought the app gave me the EAN code too, but it looks like it doesn't. I just tried it again....sorry for the false hope. I must have had the EAN and only the card number rubbed off.

@jadephoenixx Got it. Totally makes sense. Thanks for the update. I was at least able to get all the numbers on the account. Now all I need to do is figure out the bits and pieces of the EAN number. And, note to self, never buy a cardboard Disney Gift Card again! Expensive lesson to learn. :-)

@gottalovepluto Good to know! :-)The reason I started peeling the grey strip off Disney gift cards is that I have accidentally scratched numbers off with coins from other kinds of gift cards in the past. I thought I was being smart by peeling the grey stuff off...and with plastic Disney gift cards, this has always worked fine.

Regardless, lesson learned. :goodvibes

I had the same problem with peeling off the numbers. Someone suggested the app, Scandit. It will read the barcode on the card and give you the card # and EAN. I was able to use that to transfer the money onto another old card I had

I was sorting through some Disney gift cards last night and I somehow got a cardboard one! And of course, the numbers peeled right off. I'm going to try this app tonight!

Update on my gift card saga:

I finally figured out how to nagivat this tricky situation! As a recap, I bought a cardboard gift card from Target with my RedCard to pay my DVC dues. The grey stuff peeled both a section of my account number off as well as a section of my EAN (PIN) number off. When I called disneygiftcard.com for help, I was told I needed to send an email explaining my predicament with a picture of the front and back of my card, which I did. I never heard from anyone, even though I sent three more emails and called back twice. Grrr....

I took @jadephoenixx 's advice and downloaded the app "Scandit" and voila! It was able to read the barcode and give me my full account number! However it wasn't able to give me the EAN number. But, I called disneygiftcard.com and they were able to take the account number and transfer my $100 onto another Disney Gift Card. WHOO HOO...they didn't need the EAN number. The catch? I had to answer these two security questions: 1. Where did I buy the original card? 2. How much was on the original card? Luckily, I was able to recall both of those things and the CM was able to transfer my $100 from the card with no EAN number to my old Disney Gift Card. YAY!

Thank you, everyone, for your wisdom and advice! I'm thrilled I was able to recover my money!

All the ones at the Kroger by me are now cardboard. I haven't had any trouble with them. I just lightly scratch the silver with a coin.

I have purchased Disney gift cards at Publix and target in the last week and they had plastic ones available. I will always pick the plastic one.

I've gotten $900 worth from Target, e- cards in the past few days. Not going with physical.

I just bought some Disney gift cards from Sam’s (3x$25). They were in 100th packaging. The cards are made of cardboard, not plastic. I tried to peel the sticker off instead of scratching it (that works on the plastic ones) but fragments of the account numbers pealed off too. We were able to eventually figure it out by putting the pealed part on another piece of paper, scratching it off and lining up the number fragments. If you buy these cards, don’t make the mistake I did!
You can always get the eCards from Target or other retailers. No scratch-off worries!

I just bought some Disney gift cards from Sam’s (3x$25). They were in 100th packaging. The cards are made of cardboard, not plastic. I tried to peel the sticker off instead of scratching it (that works on the plastic ones) but fragments of the account numbers pealed off too. We were able to eventually figure it out by putting the pealed part on another piece of paper, scratching it off and lining up the number fragments. If you buy these cards, don’t make the mistake I did!
We really mangled these more than once on vacation - I can respect they need to come up with something besides plastic but these were awful.

We really mangled these more than once on vacation - I can respect they need to come up with something besides plastic but these were awful.

This is an issue Disney needs to address.
Just bought Disney gift cards at Target. They had plastic $50 cards and cardboard $100 cards. I got the $50s. A little more work to combine, but with the problems with the cardboard ones, will not take longer.

I wonder if these "eco-friendly" GCs will continue to be a problem.

LAX

I had the same problem with the cardboard GC. I called the GC number and was told as long as the magnetic strip was still intact they could just swipe it. We we’re just at wdw last week and it worked just perfect I just put it on the room charge.
But like others lesson learned and a scratch lightly b with a coin

I just bought e cards from Target to avoid any more of these problems.

OMG, what a nightmare. I just discovered this problem when I was trying to pay my DVC dues at the last minute. The Scandit tip was golden--I was able to read the EAN numbers on all but one card, and the one that was ambiguous only took two tries.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter