CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad that I chose to go to the dark side (of cruising).

I've seen the movie "Like Father" on Netflix this week-end it was the greatest informercial for Royal Caribbean.

While I can't wait for our Carnival Liberty cruise (Spring 2019) I also can't wait for our Mariner of the Seas cruise as well (Fall 2019)

Those who sailed with Royal, DCL and Carnival, did you think Royal was better? Because from what I have seen, it kinda looks like it. :/

I've seen the movie "Like Father" on Netflix this week-end it was the greatest informercial for Royal Caribbean.

While I can't wait for our Carnival Liberty cruise (Spring 2019) I also can't wait for our Mariner of the Seas cruise as well (Fall 2019)

Those who sailed with Royal, DCL and Carnival, did you think Royal was better? Because from what I have seen, it kinda looks like it. :/

My DH has been dying to try RCCL for a while but our kids love CCL so we always end up going that way. He is really interested in the big ships and all the activities. I just love cruising, so in general it doesn't matter to me. Although, I think MSC probably isn't for me. Thanks for the heads up on the movie.

So I have watched the movie, and that was not my experience on RCL. We prefer Carnival (it's more "fun"). However we will cruise whichever is going to where we want to go at a price we want to pay. And in fact NCL is up next (never been on them but I think they are comparable). We have not done DCL though.

Keep in mind in the movie they were in a huge suite, which comes with some bonuses (unless you normally travel concierge?). They ate with the same table mates for all meals, that never happens in my experience. The one excursion they did in Jamaica does look fun, they went to Blue Hole from what I understand (and you can do that private or through the ship).

I mean our RCL cruises were good or we wouldn't have done 3 of them! But our first and last were on Carnival and it was nice to be back on Carnival. I think it depends on what you are looking for. We go for FUN. As long as there are active things to do on board and in ports, we are happy!

So I have watched the movie, and that was not my experience on RCL. We prefer Carnival (it's more "fun"). However we will cruise whichever is going to where we want to go at a price we want to pay. And in fact NCL is up next (never been on them but I think they are comparable). We have not done DCL though.

Keep in mind in the movie they were in a huge suite, which comes with some bonuses (unless you normally travel concierge?). They ate with the same table mates for all meals, that never happens in my experience. The one excursion they did in Jamaica does look fun, they went to Blue Hole from what I understand (and you can do that private or through the ship).

I mean our RCL cruises were good or we wouldn't have done 3 of them! But our first and last were on Carnival and it was nice to be back on Carnival. I think it depends on what you are looking for. We go for FUN. As long as there are active things to do on board and in ports, we are happy!

Yes, of course I knew that was some kind of suite. (I've stayed in all kinds of cabins so far... but no, not Concierge. Never thought that was appealing but who knows. Maybe someday.)

Thanks, I was wondering if it was Blue Hole (heard about it a lot). I was also curious about the Zipline one.

The type of "marriage show" they did, does is really exist?

Yes, of course I knew that was some kind of suite. (I've stayed in all kinds of cabins so far... but no, not Concierge. Never thought that was appealing but who knows. Maybe someday.)

Thanks, I was wondering if it was Blue Hole (heard about it a lot). I was also curious about the Zipline one.

The type of "marriage show" they did, does is really exist?

Yes it does. On most cruise lines I believe, I'm sure Carnival does one as well. I've never attended myself, but they did make it look like fun.

Yes it does. On most cruise lines I believe, I'm sure Carnival does one as well. I've never attended myself, but they did make it look like fun.

Yes, Carnival does the "Love and Marriage Show", which I love.

But the Newlyweds-style game show that they are showing in the movie looks even crazier.

Those Legend cruises! Lots to discuss at my house tonight.

We’re planning Alaska for 2020 but Omg that 16 night Transatlantic from NY to Dover looks amazingggg. There’s just no way for DH and I to get that many days off! Hopefully it’s a hit and they schedule more like it.

Oh and just to put things in perspective: that 16 night Transatlantic for 2 people in a Balcony: $4093

Our 2019 DCL 7 night British Isles cruise for 2 people in an Oceanview: $4918.

That’s why I’ll continue to cruise Carnival.

Last edited:
We’re planning Alaska for 2020 but Omg that 16 night Transatlantic from NY to Dover looks amazingggg. There’s just no way for DH and I to get that many days off! Hopefully it’s a hit and they schedule more like it.

Oh and just to put things in perspective: that 16 night Transatlantic for 2 people in a Balcony: $4093

I know. Same here. My husband can't take 16 days off. My heart is broken. Iceland, Ireland and England is my dream cruise.

(Greece being second in line)

However, I have found great prices for St.Martin/St.Thomas/St.Lucia (from San Juan), and the ABC Islands which are next in line.

Trying to convince my husband to book right away while the rates are super low.

Awesome pricing. Disney pricing has doubled in the last 5 years but CCL is only inching up, if at all. Love how CCL cares about cost control. Great, great cruise line.

Decisions... Decisions...

St.Marteen-St.Kitts-San Juan-Grand Turk (Carnival Breeze)? (I know I didn't like Grand Turk very much but ... it's free. LOL)

OR

Aruba-Curaçao-Amber Cove-La Romana (Carnival Horizon)?

Price is similar.

St.Martin-St-Kitts-San Juan-Grand Turk (Carnival Breeze)?

OR

Price is similar.

Isn't breeze out of orlando and horizon Miami? If so I would do whichever is easiest for you to get to. Both awesome itineraries.

St.Marteen-St.Kitts-San Juan-Grand Turk (Carnival Breeze)? (I know I didn't like Grand Turk very much but ... it's free. LOL)

OR

Price is similar.

Horizon. Looks like a nice itinerary and while St Kitts was nice it wasn't that fabulous. Unless you haven't been to San Juan?

Who is replacing Breeze in Port Canaveral??? I like cruising from there, or Fort Lauderdale is nice too. Haven't been from Miami yet. I'm not sure I'd enjoy cruising from New York itself, it's cold to start (since I tend to cruise in winter) so you can't take advantage of the pools until you get further south, unless you have a ship like RCL Anthem with the covered pool area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter