CARNIVAL VS DCL: The discussion and comparison thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I do not disagree with that statement, I still think it is nice when people document with pictures when they do reviews. This way, each and everyone of us can set their expectations lower or higher according to what we saw. This is why I love reviews and vlogs so much.

I know it helped me a lot when I boarded the Victory as I was expecting some wear and tear. In the end, the ship exceeded my expectations.

Also, as of now, based on reviews and complaints read on FB in the Vista group, I'm expecting to feed on water only because the food is too bad, live in a dump, not having access to any pool ever, not being able to view any of the (bad) musical shows and (bad) comedy shows, not having a seat in an overpriced movie theater , all that with the most horrible and non-existent staff ever.

I have a feeling that I am going to enjoy that cruise. ;)

You should leave that group! I will agree with not being able to see well in the poorly designed theatre and comedy club but the rest just, no. I'm not a fan of the American Table menu and often just had appetizers for my meal but later we would go to the buffet and get some dessert. It would be difficult to starve on a cruise :)

You should leave that group! I will agree with not being able to see well in the poorly designed theatre and comedy club but the rest just, no. I'm not a fan of the American Table menu and often just had appetizers for my meal but later we would go to the buffet and get some dessert. It would be difficult to starve on a cruise :)

I'm actually thinking about leaving the FB group. I know all lot of people did, recently (tired of all the negativity).

We booked all three specialty restaurants and if the Pizza Pirate, Blue Iguana, Pigs and Anchor and Guy's Burgers are as good as they seem to be... I doubt we will eat in the dining room a lot.

I'm actually thinking about leaving the FB group. I know all lot of people did, recently (tired of all the negativity).

We booked all three specialty restaurants and if the Pizza Pirate, Blue Iguana, Pigs and Anchor and Guy's Burgers are as good as they seem to be... I doubt we will eat in the dining room a lot.

We once belonged to a group like that and once we sailed with them, we were done. A lot of drunkenness, cussing, complaining, in-group fighting and unhappiness and that is NOT why I take vacations.

We absolutely loved the Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers. Everything was very fresh and made to order. We are sailing on Carnival again and I understand they now offer breakfast burritos at Blue Iguana, so am really looking forward to trying that too.

My son eats the breakfast burrito every morning! We always have Guy's a couple of times too. None of us is super picky and lots of times for lunch we just make big salads. The BBQ was not added until after our cruise so I can't say if it's good. Looking forward to trying it though.

We once belonged to a group like that and once we sailed with them, we were done. A lot of drunkenness, cussing, complaining, in-group fighting and unhappiness and that is NOT why I take vacations.

We absolutely loved the Blue Iguana and Guy's Burgers. Everything was very fresh and made to order. We are sailing on Carnival again and I understand they now offer breakfast burritos at Blue Iguana, so am really looking forward to trying that too.

Thankfully, it's a general cruising group of 31 000 members and not people we have to spend a vacation with!

I never subscribe to "roll call groups" because DH and I are too shy to meet with strangers. :blush:

There are enough good reviews to convince us that we're going to have a good time. I'm not really worried. No trip is going to be absolutely perfect. As long as there's the sea, free food and free ice cream, we'll be fine!

Thankfully, it's a general cruising group of 31 000 members and not people we have to spend a vacation with!

I never subscribe to "roll call groups" because DH and I are too shy to meet with strangers. :blush:

There are enough good reviews to convince us that we're going to have a good time. I'm not really worried. No trip is going to be absolutely perfect. As long as there's the sea, free food and free ice cream, we'll be fine!

Wonderful travel attitude. You'll have a great time!

This was posted today of the new Carnival Horizon coming out next year, this is their water slide area completely themed to Dr. Seuss. It's identical to the Vista's but themed better. I think it looks really fun, the Vista slides were awesome and the blue slide was crazy fast!
View attachment 232437

It's GORGEOUS.

I started watching videos from the Vista. I think the Vista is going to be my favorite ship (out of DCL Wonder & Dream and Carnival Victory).

Now I'm starting to think about how good the Horizon is going to look.

What is going to be her itinerary?

I'm cancelling my upcoming Disney cruise. I was trying - really trying - to be okay with the price. But I'm not.

I was on the Princess cruise site yesterday and ended up finding an awesome deal on a 10 night partial Panama Canal transit (new locks) in November 2017. It's less in Canadian funds for the 10 night cruise than the DCL was in US funds for the 7 night cruise - and the kicker? It's a Window Suite. So no balcony (two large windows) but all of the Princess Suite amenities.

It's GORGEOUS.

I started watching videos from the Vista. I think the Vista is going to be my favorite ship (out of DCL Wonder & Dream and Carnival Victory).

Now I'm starting to think about how good the Horizon is going to look.

What is going to be her itinerary?

The Vista will be moving to Galveston and the Horizon will be taking over the place of the Vista (so it should be about the same itineraries).

I'm cancelling my upcoming Disney cruise. I was trying - really trying - to be okay with the price. But I'm not.

I was on the Princess cruise site yesterday and ended up finding an awesome deal on a 10 night partial Panama Canal transit (new locks) in November 2017. It's less in Canadian funds for the 10 night cruise than the DCL was in US funds for the 7 night cruise - and the kicker? It's a Window Suite. So no balcony (two large windows) but all of the Princess Suite amenities.

I think you made the right choice. I don't know how much is the price difference but sometimes you can pay a whole extra vacation for your family if you go for the less expensive option.

Alright. I don't know what was in our cereals this morning but DH and I came up with a crazy idea.

We are on going on vacation this summer... we planned to stay in New York for two days and then spend the rest of our week off at home.

Then arrives the crazy idea: "Hey, what if we could score a last minute deal on a Bermuda cruise departing from New York for that week?"...

I check the dates for a Bermuda cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway... It fits.

So, we just created the "Bermuda Challenge": the goal is saving as much money as possible for the upcoming weeks and then, one week before our vacation, check the deals to see if we can afford the Bermuda cruise. :rotfl2:

If not... Well, we'll have a great week-end in NYC and a lot of on board credit for our Vista cruise. :cool1:

Alright. I don't know what was in our cereals this morning but DH and I came up with a crazy idea.

We are on going on vacation this summer... we planned to stay in New York for two days and then spend the rest of our week off at home.

Then arrives the crazy idea: "Hey, what if we could score a last minute deal on a Bermuda cruise departing from New York for that week?"...

So, we just created the "Bermuda Challenge": the goal is saving as much money as possible for the upcoming weeks and then, one week before our vacation, check the deals to see if we can afford the Bermuda cruise. :rotfl2:

If not... Well, we'll have a great week-end in NYC and a lot of on board credit for our Vista cruise. :cool1:

We loved the Breakaway and they offered the most time in Bermuda compared to other lines. Hope you get to go -- it was a fantastic island.

We loved the Breakaway and they offered the most time in Bermuda compared to other lines. Hope you get to go -- it was a fantastic island.

Fun story... I've had a Bermuda cruise booked last year. I had to change our plans (and went for the Carnival Victory cruise instead -- in the end, no regrets, it was a great cruise who opened our eyes to other options-- because a friend was getting married.

At some point, a few weeks before the wedding, our friendship ended... but it was too late to return to our original plans!

I've been dying to see the Bermuda for the last two years! It looks fantastic!

Fun story... I've had a Bermuda cruise booked last year. I had to change our plans (and went for the Carnival Victory cruise instead -- in the end, no regrets, it was a great cruise who opened our eyes to other options-- because a friend was getting married.

At some point, a few weeks before the wedding, our friendship ended... but it was too late to return to our original plans!

I've been dying to see the Bermuda for the last two years! It looks fantastic!

I have dreamed of going to Bermuda since I was a child -- used to keep pictures of it in a scrapbook. It was just a gorgeous place, friendly people, good food and nice transportation. We plan on going back to wrap up the stuff we didn't get to see, but it was a perfect vacation.

I have dreamed of going to Bermuda since I was a child -- used to keep pictures of it in a scrapbook. It was just a gorgeous place, friendly people, good food and nice transportation. We plan on going back to wrap up the stuff we didn't get to see, but it was a perfect vacation.

Apparently, it is quite safe too... ?

Apparently, it is quite safe too... ?

I never felt unsafe and many people stayed out all night since we were docked for two nights. We saw many passengers returning at 1 and 2 a.m. We never felt unsafe and we travelled into some lonely areas looking for forts and historic sites and didn't worry.

You should also check out the Celebrity Summit (leaves from Bayonne NJ - just across the harbour). It does the Bermuda run throughout the summer. It's a lovely ship.

OMG guys, my family is seriously thinking about taking the $500 loss and booking the new MSC Seaside. That ship looks phenomenal!! We can book the combined east/west Caribbean itinerary for the same price as our 8 day Vista cruise! That is a 14 day cruise. How crazy is that?

I think you made the right choice. I don't know how much is the price difference but sometimes you can pay a whole extra vacation for your family if you go for the less expensive option.

Yes - the 10 day Princess cruise is around $4500 Canadian (for 3 people) and the DCL 7 night cruise was around $4700 US. We're also keeping our Carnival cruise on the Magic (November 11-18) as the cost is very good and then we'll hop onto the Caribbean Princess on November 20th. Even with adding in gambling money, we're still ahead of the game on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter